As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    PASS on secondary

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Quick question: would Yin be eligible for that VP? The rules only mention that you can't claim objectives if you don't control your home planet(s).

Slight correction: Unless there's some hidden thing I'm forgetting, I'm only counting 9 votes for Naalu according to the map.

Yes, 9 votes on Naalu, but as SeGaTai says, it doesn't matter. As for your question, Yin is eligible for the VP from the Political Card, since it is not an Objective.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Jol-Nar, it's your turn.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Round 8: Action Phase Update 2

The Embers of Muaat: Activate Quann system. (CP 1 --> 0)
    Move in 1 Warsun, 2 Fighters, and 1 Mechanized Unit from Hercalor-Tiamat.
    Exhaust Capha (3R), Darian (2R), Tar'Mann (1R), Tiamat (1R), +1R from Sarween Tools to build 1 Dreadnought (5R), 2 Fighters (1R), and 1 Mechanized Unit (2R) at Quaan.
    The L1z1x Mindnet: Play Action Card "Enhanced Armor", providing their Cruisers with the Sustain Damage ability for the remainder of the round. (AC 7 --> 6)
    The Naalu Collective: Activate Ashtroth-Abaddon-Loki. (CP 2 --> 1)
    Move in High Alert Token, 1 Carrier, and 4 Fighters from Bereg-Lirta IV and 2 Cruisers and 1 Destroyer from Naalu Home System.
    During the Space battle, Naalu loses 2 Cruisers, 1 Destroyer, 1 Carrier, and 4 Fighters while L1z1x loses 2 Fighters, damages 1 Dreadnought and 2 Cruisers, and expends Action Card "Target Their Flagship!" (AC 6 --> 5); combat resolves in favor of L1z1x.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: Play Primary Ability of the (3) Assembly Strategy Card, drawing 2 Action Card (AC 6 --> 8) and 1 Political Card (PC 1 --> 2).
    Creuss discards Action Card "Rule By Terror" to comply with hand limits. (AC 8 --> 7)
    Creuss selects Muaat to take the Speaker Token, and Creuss plays Political Card "Corrupt Empire". (PC 2 --> 1)
    Jol-Nar is elected (Naalu, Creuss voting Jol-Nar; Yin, Jol-Nar voting Muaat; L1z1x voting Creuss); the next player to initiate Space Combat or Invasion Combat against Jol-Nar will gain 1 VP.
    No player plays on the secondary ability.

Current Map: Round 8, Action Phase Update 2

Current Technologies

Victory Points and Objectives
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 7 VP
    The Embers of Muaat: 7 VP
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 6 VP
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 5 VP
    The Naalu Collective: 1 VP
    The Yin Brotherhood: 1 VP

Public Objectives
    [1 VP] I now spend 3 Command Counters from my Command and/or Strategy Allocation areas.: L1z1x, Creuss, Naalu, Muaat, Jol-Nar
    [1 VP] I am blockading an opponent's Space Dock.: Jol-Nar, Muaat, L1z1x
    [1 VP] I control planets with a total influence greater than the player to my immediate right and greater than the player to my immediate left.: Creuss, Yin, Jol-Nar
    [1 VP] I control Mecatol Rex.: Creuss
    [1 VP] I successfully invaded one planet containing at least 1 opposing Ground Force this turn.: Jol-Nar, L1z1x, Muaat
    [1 VP] I now spend 4 Trade Goods, 3 resources, and 3 influence.
    [2 VP] I have 5 Technology Advances of the same color.: Jol-Nar
    [2 VP] I successfully invaded two planets, each containing at least 1 opposing Ground Force, this turn.: Creuss, Muaat
    3 Stage II Objectives remain hidden.

Secret Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 1 Secret Objective
    The Naalu Collective: 1 Secret Objective
    The L1z1x Mindnet: [2 VP] Threatening: I control systems adjacent to 2 different player's Home Systems.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: [2 VP] Master of Ships: I control Mecatol Rex, I have a Space Dock here, and at least 8 (non-Fighter) ships in the Mecatol Rex system.
    The Embers of Muaat: [2 VP] Conqueror: I control all the planets in another player’s Home System.
    The Yin Brotherhood: 2 Secret Objectives

Universities of Jol-Nar - caliber and GrimmyTOA:
    Trade Goods: 0
    Action Cards: 6
    Political Cards: 2

Strategy Allocation: 2
    Fleet Supply: 4
    Command Pool: 3

Trade Contracts: L1z1x [1], Yin [1]
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Deep Space Cannon, Magen Defense Grid, War Sun, Duranium Armor, Antimass Deflectors, XRD Transporters, Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools, Micro Technology, Nano Technology, Graviton Laser System

Worlds:
    R - Jol (1R, 2I)
    R - Nar (2R, 3I)
    R - Arinam (1R, 2I, B)
    R - Meer (0R, 4I)
    R - Rigel I (0R, 1I, G)
    R - Rigel II (1R, 2I)
    R - Rigel III (1R, 1I, B)
    The Naalu Collective - stever777:
    Action Cards: 5
    Political Cards: 0

Strategy Allocation: 1
    Fleet Supply: 4
    Command Pool: 1

Trade Contracts: Muaat [2], Yin [1]
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator, Hylar V Assault Laser, Deep Space Cannon, Hybrid Crystal Drives

Worlds:
    R - Maaluuk (0R, 2I)
    R - Druaa (3R, 1I)
    R - Abaddon (1R, 0I, R)
    R - Bereg (3R, 1I, R)
    R - Lirta IV (2R, 3I, G)
    R - Loki (1R, 2I)
    The L1z1x Mindnet - Iron Weasel and Fidoh:
    Political Cards: 1

Fleet Supply: 5
    Command Pool: 2

Trade Contracts: Jol-Nar [3] (L1z1x [1])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules, Cybernetics, Gen Synthesis, Neural Motivator, Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets, Assault Cannon

Worlds:
    R - [0.0.0] (5R, 0I)
    R - Ashtroth (2R, 0I)
    R - Faunus (1R, 3I, G (x2))
    R - Saudor (2R, 2I)
    R - Vega Major (2R, 1I)
    R - Vega Minor (1R, 2I, B)
    The Ghosts of Creuss - SeGaTai:
    Trade Goods: 4
    Action Cards: 7
    Political Cards: 1

Fleet Supply: 8

Trade Contracts: (Creuss [2], Creuss [2])
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, XRD Transporters, Maneuvering Jets, Hylar V Assault Laser

Worlds:
    R - Creuss (4R, 2I)
    R - Lodor (3R, 1I, G)
    R - Mallice (0R, 3I)
    R - Mecatol Rex (1R, 6I)
    X - Mirage (1R, 2I, F (x2))
    R - Tequ'ran (2R, 0I, R)
    R - Torkan (0R, 3I, B)
    R - Wellon (1R, 2I)
    The Embers of Muaat - Void Slayer:

Fleet Supply: 5
    Command Pool: 0

Trade Contracts: Naalu [2] (Muaat [2])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools, Micro Technology, Hylar V Assault Laser, Deep Space Cannon, War Sun, Neural Motivator, Magmus Reactor

Worlds:
    R - Muaat (4R, 1I)
    X - Darien (2R, 4I)
    X - Capha (3R, 0I)
    R - Centauri (1R, 3I)
    R - Gral (1R, 1I, B)
    R - Quann (2R, 1I, G)
    X - Tar'mann (1R, 1I)
    X - Tiamat (1R, 2I, Y)
    The Yin Brotherhood - MrBody:
    Trade Goods: 5

Strategy Allocation: 2
    Fleet Supply: 7

Trade Contracts: Jol-Nar [1], Naalu [1]
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets, Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules

Worlds:
    X - Hercalor (1R, 0I, Y)
    X - Qucen'n (1R, 2I)
    R - Rarron (0R, 3I, G)
    X - Thibah (1R, 1I)
    X - Vefut II (2R, 0I, R)

Special Effects
    Enhanced Armor - Until the end of Round 8, L1z1x's Cruisers have the Sustain Damage ability.

Corrupt Empire - The first player to attack Jol-Nar in Space Combat or Invasion Combat will gain 1 VP.

Order of Play
    The Naalu Collective: (0) Warfare II
    The Ghosts of Creuss: (3) Assembly
    Universities of Jol-Nar: (4) Production Current Turn
    The Yin Brotherhood: (5) Trade II
    The Embers of Muaat: (7) Technology II
    The L1z1x Mindnet: (8) Bureaucracy

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • calibercaliber Registered User regular
    Jol-Nar activates Quann, moving in the warsun (+6 fighters) and dread from Lucky Lady, carrier (+3 GF) from Rigel, and warsun (+1 fighter, +2 mech) from Jol-Nar.

oooooooooooo shit!

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Danger Zone.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    Round 8 - Battle at Quann

Muaat PDS Fire 4d10 = {3, 3, 5 < 6; 8 > 6}, 1 hit. Jol-Nar removes 1 Fighter.

Before the start of combat, Jol-Nar plays Action Card "Into the Breach":

Into the Breach
    Choose one Dreadnought. All ships in the fleet containing that Dreadnought receive +1 on all combat rolls for the remainder of the battle. The first two hits against your fleet must be applied to the chosen Dreadnought.
    Play: Immediately before any Space Battle begins.

Any sabotage plays?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Nope

PSN SeGaTai
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Sabotage!

Sabotage
    Play this card to cancel the effect of any Action Card just played, then discard both cards. This card cannot cancel the effects of another Sabotage card.
    Play: Immediately after another player plays an Action Card.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!

Jol-Nar's Action Card is nullified by Muaat's Sabotage.

Pre-Battle: Muaat Anti-Fighter Barrage 2#1d10+1 = {4, 3 < 9}, no hits.

Before the first round of combat, Jol-Nar plays Action Card "Experimental Weaponry":

Experimental Weaponry
    Until the end of the combat round, all hits from your Dreadnoughts and War Suns may not be applied to Fighters (unless there are no other ships present).
    Play: Immediately before any round of combat.

Any sabotage plays?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Ha ha, the old lure out the sabotage with an inferior action card ploy!

no sabo

No sabo, decent card

PSN SeGaTai
    No sabotage.

Kraken them in the jaw, Jol-Nar.

Currently Playing:
    MrBody wrote: »
    Ha ha, the old lure out the sabotage with an inferior action card ploy!

no sabo
    plan2jh7.jpg

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    no sabo

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    Yeah.. planned for cruess to win...

Really my fault for hitting Mr body instead of the ghosts.

No sabotage.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited March 2013

Jol-Nar's Action Card goes though: all hits from Jol-Nar's Dreadnoughts and War Suns must be taken on non-Fighter ships in the first round of combat.

Jol-Nar has 2 War Suns, 1 Dreadnought, 1 Carrier, and 6 Fighters (with 2 Mechanized Units and 3 Ground Forces)
    Muaat has 1 War Sun, 1 Dreadnought, 2 Cruisers, 1 Destroyer, and 7 Fighters (with 1 Mechanized Unit and 2 PDS on Quann)

Round 1: Jol Nar War Suns 6#1d10-1 = {1, 0, 2, 2, 0 < 3; 8 > 3}, Dreadnought 1d10-1 = {3 < 5}, Carrier 1d10-1 = {1 < 9}, Fighters 6#1d10-1 = {2, 1, 6, 5, 5, 4 < 9}, 1 hit on a non-Fighter ship. Muaat, what unit will take the hit?
    Muaat War Sun 3d10 = {6, 6, 10 > 3}, Dreadnought 1d10 = {7 > 5}, Cruisers 2#1d10+1 = {7, 9 >= 7}, Destroyer 1d10+1 = {2 < 9}, Fighters 7d10 = {1, 3, 1, 2, 1, 7 < 9; 10 > 9}, 7 hits. Jol-Nar, what units will take the hits?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited March 2013
    Oh my god Muaat is protected by the luckiest cards & dice ever.

Unless Jol-Nar has more amazing cards he's completely boned.

MrBody on
    Destroy the Destroyer.

Wow. We're going to have to talk to our recruiter about getting some better gunners.

Is each ship specifically carrying something? That is, if we were to destroy our carrier + fighters, would that leave our GF/mechs out of supply or is it just that you need to have enough ships to support?

That is unbelievable

Currently Playing:
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Ridiculous.

Before we take casualties we spend one SA token to reroll one of our missed WarSun dice.

If this misses the surviving crew (if any) will spend the next decade scrubbing the arch-chancellor's toilets.

edited March 2013
    Fighters can move from ship to ship, so it doesn't matter where they were originally. Ground units will be destroyed if their carriers are though - that's 3 Ground Forces on the Carrier and 2 Mechanized Units on one of the War Suns.

Also, if I've done my math correctly, there was a 0.3% chance (about 1 in 340) that Jol-Nar would have rolled 1 hit or all misses. Fascinating.

Jol-Nar expends a token from Strategic Allocation to re-roll one of their War Sun's attack dice.

Round 1: Jol-Nar Reroll 1d10-1 = {0 < 3}, miss.

"You, ensign. What's your name?"
    "High Larr, sir."
    "High Larr? Now that's a name I can trust."

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Apparently we should have been invading Jol-Nar all game. They're to smart to find the trigger on all their guns.

PSN SeGaTai
    I think we'd have been better off using the resources we spent on these ships to bribe someone else to attack Muaat. But alas ...

I guess we clear out our fighters and put a ding in the paint on the Dread.

You know, this isn't exactly surprising; the original war suns were built by Muaat slaves. Clearly they left a little something in the fire control source code.

Currently Playing:

Jol-Nar removes 6 Fighters and damages 1 Dreadnought.
    Muaat removes 1 Destroyer.

Round 2: Jol-Nar War Suns 6#1d10-1 = {8, 3, 4, 7, 3 >=3; 1 < 3}, Dreadnought 1d10-1 = {3 < 5}, Carrier 1d10-1 = {6 < 9}, 5 hits. Muaat, what units will take the hits?
    Muaat War Sun 3d10 = {9, 4, 8 > 3}, Dreadnought 1d10 = {7 > 5}, Cruisers 2#1d10+1 = {8, 10 > 7}, Fighters 7d10 = {2, 2, 5, 6, 8, 2 < 9; 10 > 9}, 7 hits. Jol-Nar destroys 2 War Suns, 1 Dreadnought (previously damaged), 1 Carrier, 2 Mechanized Units, and 3 Ground Forces.

Combat resolves in favor of Muaat. Once Muaat verifies his combat casualties, the turn will pass to Yin.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Outrageous.

Currently Playing:
    edited March 2013
    Truly, truly outrageous.

The first round you should have gotten about an average of 4 hits from the war suns plus another from the other ships. Spend a SA to reroll a die? *rolls zero*

MrBody on
    I made a mistake in my earlier math, and I believe the probability of Jol-Nar getting 1 hit or no hits in his Round 1 barrage (reroll excluded) is actually 0.3% (about 1 in 340), not 1.3%. As for Muaat, the probability of his War Sun, Dreadnought, and Cruisers all landing their hits in a single round is 7.7%, or 0.6% (about 1 in 170) for a perfect 6 hits in both rounds.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    At least when Jol-Nar goes down in flames, we can legitimately say we gave it our all. When the dice decide you're not going to win, there's not much you can do about it.

Well crap.

Destroy 5 fighters.

Man, I should play the lotto today.

So wait. If the power of my grade eleven math course has held true, that means that there was a 0.000018% chance that we'd roll so many misses and Muaat would roll so many hits. That can't be right.

It is also, apparently, the chance you have of pointing at a single random human being and finding a billionaire (according to some website) or pointing at a random high school athlete and finding a future NBA player (according to some other website).

I'm not upset, I'm just impressed.

There's probably a stats paper in there somewhere.

Currently Playing:
    After rolling double or triple 1s way too often in Risk, I've forever sworn off Orokos for Invisible Castle. It's probably just superstition but it feels like it rolls strings of duplicate numbers too frequently to be a coincidence.

edited March 2013
    Well, I suppose we could always ask for a bunch of random numbers Infidel's number generation algorithm and subject it to a battery of tests to see if it's biased. Humans are notoriously bad at processing probabilities in an unbiased fashion, so mathematics is the way to go about it - if we were interested enough. EDIT: As it stands, I think Orokos is good enough for the purposes of forum games, so I'll stick with it for now. Also, to address GrimmyTOA, I'm not sure which probability you're trying to estimate, but you're probably underestimating it. To get a real idea of how unlikely a result is, you want to calculate how probable it would be to get the observed result or something more extreme, something I did for the Jol-Nar Round 1 rolls but not for the Muaat Round 1 rolls (since I didn't include the Destroyer or Fighter rolls). Certainly, 0.0017% (1 in about 58,000) is the probability of Jol-Nar getting 1 or 0 hits in Round 1 AND Muaat getting a perfect 6 hits with his War Suns, Dreadnought, and Cruisers in two consecutive rounds, but it also ignores some of the big picture in the other results. It's still rather remarkable.

Yin, it's your turn.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png