As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX EAST Live Streaming Info and Feedback

GoogalashGoogalash Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East
Hello Folks,

Did you know PAX has a live stream it will be running during the show? No? Well it does and here is the info you need if you would like to watch it.
The stream will be hosted at twitch.tv/pax

The schedule for what you can watch on the stream is as follows. All of the times listed are in EDT(US) aka UTC-5.

Friday:
Blizzard Entertainment Presents
10:00-am - 10:30am

Storytime with Cliff Bleszinski
10:30am - 11:30am

Penny Arcade Q&A
11:30 - 12:45pm

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences presents: Best of the 2013 D.I.C.E. Summit
2:30pm - 3:30pm

The Shaft: Digging up all the Minecraft Nuggets
4:00pm - 5:00pm

Future of Online Games Panel - MMORPG.com
5:30pm - 6:30pm

The LoadingReadyRun Panel
7:00pm - 8:00pm

Friday Night Concerts
8:30PM - 1:30AM

Saturday:
Penny Arcade - Make a Strip!
10:30am - 12:00pm

The Making of Dust: An Elysian Tail
1:00pm - 2:00pm

Behind the Music of Blockbuster Video Games
2:30pm - 3:30pm

After the Endgame: Indie Studios Founded by 38 Studios Alumni

NVIDIA Is Open For Gaming
5:00pm - 6:00pm

404ing It: Breaking (Down) the Internet
7:00pm - 8:00pm

Saturday Night Concerts
8:30PM - 1:30AM

Sunday:
Borders and Bullets: Global Game Controversies
10:00am - 11:00am

Pitch Your Game Idea
11:30am - 12:30pm

You Game Like A Girl: Tales of Trolls & White Knights
1:00pm - 2:00pm

Penny Arcade Q&A #2
2:00pm - 3:00pm

eSports in 2013: The Past, Present, and Future

Omegathon Final Round: ???
5:30pm - 6:30pm

Hopefully those of you not able to join us on site can tune in and enjoy this awesome content.

Here is the link for looking at past broadcasts. http://www.twitch.tv/pax/videos?kind=past_broadcasts
Currently it is one large video from the whole day, each day which will be broken up up later but you can go in and see it now.

Please feel free to leave feedback below.

<3

Googalash on

• Options
    KitInakaKitInaka Registered User regular
    Will these stay up after they air? It would be cool to go back and check out the stuff that we might miss at show.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    KitInaka wrote: »
    Will these stay up after they air? It would be cool to go back and check out the stuff that we might miss at show.

usually, yes.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    KitInaka wrote: »

usually, yes.

Yes everything is recorded and archived on twitch.

• Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Will they stream on an iphone? If so, I can be in line for one thing while watching the thing I am missing, which might be awesome, or it might just be irritating and I'll pull out Zombie Dice.

• Options
    gonexall wrote: »
    Will they stream on an iphone? If so, I can be in line for one thing while watching the thing I am missing, which might be awesome, or it might just be irritating and I'll pull out Zombie Dice.

So I just checked on my ipad mini and it seems that Twitch has an IOS app. The name of the app is twitchtv and it is made by justintv (twitch's parent). That being said the cell networks do tend to get flooded at PAX so can't say how well you will be able to stream.

• Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    Is there a plan to capture at least the audio from the other panels that won't be streamed on Twitch.tv? Perhaps to be released as podcasts?

• Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Lackey wrote: »
    Is there a plan to capture at least the audio from the other panels that won't be streamed on Twitch.tv? Perhaps to be released as podcasts?

Some panels will show up on various sites. For instance, Bioware said in their blog that their PAX panel on Mass Effect will be streamed and then available for viewing on their site, and I think that Wired puts up the Retro Road Show. A lot of stuff ends up on youtube. Some things don't get recorded at all.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    gonexall wrote: »

I watched the final Omegathon round last year while also attending the Gearbox panel. Wireless signals are spotty though, YMMV.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options

Sadly no plan like this currently exists.

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Googalash wrote: »

Sadly no plan like this currently exists.
    For the most part you're right. In the past some panels have been recorded for podcasts but that's something that may be announced by the people running the panel. Harmonix for example has released at least one of their panels each year as part of their podcast.
    If there's a certain one you're interested in, it's worth asking the people involved if they have plans to record.

• Options
    ZephsaceZephsace Gaming Mistress NYRegistered User regular
    Final round of the Omegathon live stream? Oh yeah, no pressure...

• Options
    nianianianianiania Registered User regular
    Very very very excited that this is happening. I'm stuck in Seattle and won't get to go to PAX EAST, so a very very very big thank you for everyone who made this possible.

I've already shown my appreciation with my wallet and subscribed. Everyone else should too.

2014 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Hufflepuff: Death Eaters / Head of House
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Is there a list of other streams at all?

I know Capcom is doing some MH stuff but I imagine there will a few more.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CamaranCamaran Catamaran MelbourneRegistered User regular
    No Rooster Teeth livestream for the new RWBY trailer :(

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    Great, the livestream is down. Good thing i didn't pay for HD.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I was at the page at 9 AM waiting for it to start, and it hasn't loaded once for me. :( Reloading, pausing, nothing is working. Maybe it's just me, but I think this happened to me during the last PAX. It makes me think Twitch is a terrible choice for this.

edit: Tried it in Firefox and it at least streamed an advertisement to me. Then nothing.

edit 2: IE didn't even give me an advertisement.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, people in the twitch.tv chat are dicks.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, people in the twitch.tv chat are dicks.
    Yup. This is so amazing.

• Options
    No archived streams yet. :(

• Options
    BIGmogBIGmog DenverRegistered User regular
    All of the times listed are in EST EDT

Standard Time finished and we're now observing Daylight Saving Time.

• Options
    MoeezMoeez Registered User new member
    Hmm nothing has been archived yet, did any of it actually stream?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Ok here is the link for looking at past broadcasts. http://www.twitch.tv/pax/videos?kind=past_broadcasts
    Currently it is one large video from the whole day, each day which will be broken up up later but you can go in and see it now.

Googalash on
  • Options
    genmangenman Registered User new member
    I'm from Seattle and glad of the streaming. I paid $10 and enjoyed the concerts last night and some content this morning. I was a bit disappointed in the audio quality during the concert, especially clipping and buzzing and audio drops, but worth supporting in the hope that it will be considered for improvement next year. The video and camera work I felt was pretty good. But in terms of audio I think we're at the 'it works' phase of things, I hope some effort is put on making it better.

I would also note there's a bit of ads and 'infomercial' type things between events. I guess half the gaming convention panels are sort infomercial like, but it'd be nicer if there was less filler and more panels.

Again, I appreciate the streaming. Please keep improving it.

• Options
    Please leave you feedback about the live stream here.

Thanks

• Options
    genmangenman Registered User new member
    Hi, I already posted this in the "Info" thread:
    I'm from Seattle and glad there's streaming. I paid $10 and enjoyed the concerts last night and some content this morning. I was a bit disappointed in the audio quality during the concert, especially clipping and buzzing and audio drops, but worth supporting in the hope that it will be considered for improvement next year. The video and camera work I felt was pretty good. But in terms of audio I think we're at the 'it works' phase of things, I hope some effort is put on making it better.

This was posted this afternoon. This evening, I did notice the audio also suddenly cutting out at quiet points, especially between songs. Some of the mikes seemed to clip and buzz. I'm not a sound engineer but the sound didn't seem quite dialed in.

I don't know if the technical issues are because of the streaming provider doing something wrong, or something on your side.

Regardless, I'm still enjoying the video. Thanks.

• Options
    barriusburtonbarriusburton Registered User new member
    to stop asking "WHO'S THIS" in chat, you could write in the title whoever is playing and whatever the event is going on. Also with the popularity of the chat, i was also thinking of you guys doing a sub chat only so it will lessen the trolls in chat.

• Options
    to stop asking "WHO'S THIS" in chat, you could write in the title whoever is playing and whatever the event is going on. Also with the popularity of the chat, i was also thinking of you guys doing a sub chat only so it will lessen the trolls in chat.

Yeah we found out you could live update the title this morning and started doing that. Though you have to refresh your stream page for the updated title to show.

• Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    First of all, THANK YOU so much for the effort. Had a great weekend at home, for free, watching PAX.

My only feedback is about the concert audio, which I know is a topic of consternation already... but... crowd noise is cool and it's a bummer when it's lost because the performance audio is muted. I know there are technical reasons to mute audio streams below a certain level, but if you had a bed of crowd noise to fill the space that would make it perfect. Humble suggestion, and thanks.

xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    dustinanglindustinanglin Registered User regular
    Thank you so much for streaming PAX East! Ditto all the feedback about crowd noise for concerts and audio cutting in and out, but still, so glad I could spend the day hiking while vicarious visiting the PAX of the eastern nerdfolk from my iphone. Makes me long for Prime that much more.

Looking forward to the final round of the Omegathon tomorrow.

• Options
    FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah this is awesome guys. Very cool, i'll be attending PAX AU in july, and this has been a cool look into the con.

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • Options
    Got Haggis?Got Haggis? Registered User regular
    and all of twitch.tv is down. not happy I paid $10 for the HD content that I can't watch. Oh well.

• Options
    and all of twitch.tv is down. not happy I paid $10 for the HD content that I can't watch. Oh well.

Yeah we are in contact them if you keep reloading you may get the stream the error for sure with their servers. They are working on it.

• Options
    Got Haggis?Got Haggis? Registered User regular
    yeah I was able to reload the frontpage several times and it finally started streaming - so if you reload enough you will probably get the stream.

• Options
    Googalash wrote: »

Yeah we are in contact them if you keep reloading you may get the stream the error for sure with their servers. They are working on it.
    This should be working now. May have to reload still.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Are you guys gonna be future PAX conventions as well or was this a one time thing?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Not sure if it was my end or on the stream, but during the second Q&A on Sunday the audio kept repeatedly dropping out for like a second or less.

• Options
    sanovah wrote: »
    Not sure if it was my end or on the stream, but during the second Q&A on Sunday the audio kept repeatedly dropping out for like a second or less.

That was our issue we were fighting it all weekend. :( Will for sure do our best to make it better next year.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Are you guys gonna be future PAX conventions as well or was this a one time thing?

This is the 3rd pax we have streamed starting with east last year and we will hopefully be continuing to do them.

• Options
    Here is the link for looking at past broadcasts. http://www.twitch.tv/pax/videos?kind=past_broadcasts

• Options
    Here's my feedback distilled down to one sentence: I want a refund, this was crap.

The auto-mute audio 1 second audio pauses that @sanovah mentioned that keep happening in main theater all weekend. Instead of having two streams like previous paxes, there was only one, with barely any panel coverage, with huge gaps in streaming.
    Benefits include:
    »No ads
    »Directly supports the PAX
    »Access to 1080p
    »Chat badge and engagement
    1. Lies. There was a 30 minute - 1 hour infomercial for shootmania or moga gamepad between each panel.
    2. I would pay more if you'd make a quality product.
    3. More lies. None of these were anywhere near 1080p in quality.
    4. Wow, e-peen, who cares.

You have 5 theaters to choose panels from, you should easily be able to fill up at least 3 streams with little to no gaps in coverage. Instead, we get this garbage.