As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassins Ball at PAX East 2013! Feedback Requested!

• GoreySailorGoreySailor Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Same

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I was just able to register intel, but I can't activate my second life, or see leaderboards.

Also, while I know it was a legal move, the person poaching people coming out of the queue line and entering the expo floor ... low blow. Too much was going on to focus on people at that moment.

Also, he had his badge on his sleeve, not his heart. Dude had like 10 kills already, so clearly it was effective, but I don't know if it was legit.

Anyway.. Enjoy your challenge coin ;)

@MarsChelios, I seem to have lost my death card for my second life. How can I remedy this? Couldn't find your contact info in my email..

vttym on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Mass murders just happened. Hahah. I got two kills and I'm all dead.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • LordBraska1999LordBraska1999 Bahston, MARegistered User regular
    I got it but u can't register second lives which sucks by the way where is your booth?

• MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    I was just able to register intel, but I can't activate my second life, or see leaderboards.

Also, while I know it was a legal move, the person poaching people coming out of the queue line and entering the expo floor ... low blow. Too much was going on to focus on people at that moment.

Also, he had his badge on his sleeve, not his heart. Dude had like 10 kills already, so clearly it was effective, but I don't know if it was legit.

Anyway.. Enjoy your challenge coin ;)

@MarsChelios, I seem to have lost my death card for my second life. How can I remedy this? Couldn't find your contact info in my email..

I'll PM, well work it out. :)

There was an issue with the Second Life page showing but it should now be resolved. Happy killing!

Yeah that dude was trying to poach us too....He killed my wife luckly I wasn't a mission for him but it kinda sucked for her because she didn't even get all the way in and she was on her second life. Kinda BS

• RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Got killed pretty quick, then got killed again couple hours later

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    So I found a badge belonging to a player. Team yellow, badge code douce.

LOL I think that person may have gotten killed and just ditched their badge LOL but hopefully someone claims it

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    Maybe but I figured I would check just in case it was on the floor in a walkway

Thankfully we put our badges on after the queue line. Although my friend killed me immediately. Haha.

I don't like hearing about that poaching. Kind of a dick thing to do. If I see one guy just demolishing everyone at this, I don't know how I feel about participating next year.

I also think it should be an unwritten rule that you should be nice to people when killing. If someone is on their last life and you have both, just take the hit (if you can kill each other). It is a game. Not real life. That is my opinion though.

I'll register my second life tomorrow I guess (although I'm dead dead). Still have my kills and more intel to put in.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • N13N13 Registered User regular
    If someone wants to spend his PAX time camping, I guess that's a strategy. I'd question his badge not being in the correct spot.

As for me, I've seen so few players but been so freakin paranoid, making myself dizzy scanning every passing PAXer. This is stressful.

Really? We had a hallway were there were at least like 4 deaths. Haha. Was a slaughter. Got my two kills and then a random single person came up after the storm calmed and ended me. Haha.

If I saw someone with the badge on their arm I wouldn't give them my death card. That isn't fair.

Also, why not have a rule that if two players try to kill each other, if one player has a second life and the other doesn't, the player with the extra life takes the hit. If both have an extra life, Rock Paper Scissors.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • ViciousEin02ViciousEin02 NYRegistered User regular
    That would suck to get killed coming out of a panel. I was in line for food and while i was texting my buddy someone tapped on my sholder and of cource he had me as a target. I laughed so hard.

Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015
    Pax East 2012 & 2013 Attendee

Hey guys,
    Just ran I into an issue with Second Lives that could prevent you from registering a kill. This is fixed for Second Lives registered in the future but any registered so far will suffer frpm this issue.

If you try to register a kill and get an error you feel is incorrect, send a pic of the mission and assassination together card to me at phillip@phenixone.com and I'll put your kill in. For the subject line put your badge code and let me know whether the faction matched on the kill in the message.

I'm sorry about the inconvenience this causes, my intention was to make a seamless experience for you guys and I'm seeing that to do that more testing will be required in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions about this or anything else.

i have seen so many people playing but not the correct person i am looking for..

Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015

I'm gonna be registering my stuff today/tomorrow, so good thing I didn't do my second life yet. At least I don't think I did.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • RenDuHRenDuH Supreme Being ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    Anyone else having trouble registering a kill? I assassinated my main target, and must have tried to register it 10 times, but it isn't working. I know I'm entering the codes in right--I have the assassination card, and I took a photo of the badge number so there would be no room for error, but when I hit "register kill" after entering them in, all it does is refresh the page, and my score on the leaderboard says I have no kills. Super upset about how the website has (or rather, hasn't) been running. I was also having the "game is not currently running" issue on Friday.

RenDuH

Please visit my photography blog:
    http://renaeduhaime.wordpress.com

Thank you! :D
  • JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    Having a similar issue at the moment. Just got a kill about 15 minutes ago (matched shape and color) and it didn't register. I also tried swapping intel and the intel didn't work either.

RenDuH wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble registering a kill? I assassinated my main target, and must have tried to register it 10 times, but it isn't working. I know I'm entering the codes in right--I have the assassination card, and I took a photo of the badge number so there would be no room for error, but when I hit "register kill" after entering them in, all it does is refresh the page, and my score on the leaderboard says I have no kills. Super upset about how the website has (or rather, hasn't) been running. I was also having the "game is not currently running" issue on Friday.
    Jerkfish wrote: »
    Having a similar issue at the moment. Just got a kill about 15 minutes ago (matched shape and color) and it didn't register. I also tried swapping intel and the intel didn't work either.

See my post above if you're having any issues registering kills. Intel should be working but if you're having difficulty with that send me a PM or email me. I'll make sure any kills or intel you have will be counted and scored on the leaderboards.

• KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I only saw 3 people all PAX playing, got Assassainated once, never saw either of my targets (first or second life) and my buddy was assassinated twice, neither assassin was wearing the pin on the right place but we went with it as it's the game. I also watched at least one assassin remove a pin and hide it as he moved through the show floor, but again, it wasn't worth making a deal out of. He might not have been really it, but pulling out of the game, or just didn't feel like playing at the time. I don't know. I just wish I could have found more people.

Khaytor on
    I saw a bunch of people on Friday with badges - live and dead (over 30). Day 2 was a little less (15 or so). Day 3 I didn't see hardly any, though admittedly I stopped looking since I was out of the game due to losing my death card.

• joshooowahjoshooowah Registered User regular
    Uh, so... I think I won! Or at least, I'm at the top of the leaderboard right now. When does that close? Does anybody else have kills or intel to log?

This game was a ton of fun, and added a whole new dimension/activity to PAX for me and my friends that played! Thanks for putting it together, MarsChelios!

• CantideCantide Registered User regular
    My girlfriend and I each scored one kill on Friday, saw no one with a symbol that we could kill on Saturday, and saw no one at all with badges on Sunday. It was a fun experience, but honestly, there needs to be way more people involved.

I saw no one sat or sun...sucks cause i was alive

• KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I got killed Saturday in tabletop, but the person was wearing a hoodie that was covering their pin. I didn't make a stink about it since I wasn't really looking for other players, but still sucks to see these stories of people not displaying their pin properly.

As for the dude poaching as the queue room emptied into the expo hall, shame on you for violating Wheaton's law. If he tried to kill me while wearing his badge on his sleeve, I would have shown him the rules and wished him good luck as I walked away still alive.

As for not seeing people on Saturday and Sunday, it's probably because a lot of folks were killed already. I'll admit none of our group of four wore our pins the day after being killed. There's such a large gap between gathering intel and points for kills that we lost interest since none of us had kills.

I still have a good amount of intel to put in.

And yea, I would just walk away. My one friend got killed by someone and she asked their significant other if they were playing as well. Lady had her hair covering her button. Kind of lame. I would've walked away from that too.

I died Friday and wore my button on Saturday. Didn't on Sunday.

I'd play again. Just make sure you put your button on AFTER the queue lines.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So what do we think about the difference between armbands and pins now?

@RichSoCash I think with all of the buttons being given out at all the booths it kinda got distracting.. IDK wheather or not someone was playing the game. I was talking to one girl that was dead she said people were standing at the front doors of the BCEC and picking people off as soon as they came in. I think the idea of armbands would be a great idea. Something different and would stand out from everything else. Those Nvidia pins were a pain in the ass

Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015

I don't think the buttons were bad, to be honest - yeah there were a lot of buttons, but the assassin's one stood out.

I will just do two things different next year:

1) I will not put my button/badge on until I'm established in the Expo Hall or wherever I am going to first. This will prevent poaching by people who are hanging out at the entrance. I will have it on within 10 minutes, but walking into the Expo floor from the queue room and dying in under a minute is not my idea of fun.

2) I will deny the kill of anyone not wearing their badge properly. I should have done it, but I was still in a daze from the fact that I was being killed in under a minute that I didn't think to say anything.

Issues with the website really made it hard to get into this. I hope those are resolved next time.

Looks like jasnoo logged some intel and beat me by just 10 points! Oof, bummer - congrats jasnoo!

Also, two points, as I'm the infamous sleeve-pin-wearing poacher: first, the rules need to be prominently posted somewhere on the main website. I've worn every badge or pin I've been handed since high school on my sleeve in what is, in retrospect, one of the lamer attempts at non-conformity in human history. I also didn't see the rules until basically the competition was over. Had I, I would have put my badge in the right place. Apologies to all, and especially vttym. If it's any consolation, I didn't win.

Second - at risk of getting into an argument on the internet, especially on a forum I'm not a usual poster to - I will dispute the idea that I was poaching. Here's a list of the location of my kills:

1) Westin Hotel Lobby
    2) Tabletop Freeplay (victim was walking in the aisles, not at a table)
    3) Next to the Reaper store (tabletop area)
    4) Entry to the Expo floor (this is vttym, I'm 99% sure)
    5) Entry to the Expo floor (vttym's friend)
    6) One of the tabletop stores (I forget which)
    7) Connector from 2nd floor of the Convention Center to the Westin Hotel
    8) Expo Hall by the Geek Chic

And the kill(s) in dispute originated as I was LEAVING the expo hall to head back to tabletop. Also important to note: kills 1 through 7 were all logged BEFORE LUNCH ON FRIDAY. As most other people are saying, the number of badges seemed to decrease exponentially from the start of the convention all the way through. The key to this game seemed to be to get as many kills as quick as possible.

The sleeve scandal I will 100% cop to. The poaching one I will not - if you're on the expo floor, be ready, because you're playing the game.

edited March 2013
    Double post! Hooray new forums...

joshooowah on
    joshooowah wrote: »
    Looks like jasnoo logged some intel and beat me by just 10 points! Oof, bummer - congrats jasnoo!

Also, two points, as I'm the infamous sleeve-pin-wearing poacher: first, the rules need to be prominently posted somewhere on the main website. I've worn every badge or pin I've been handed since high school on my sleeve in what is, in retrospect, one of the lamer attempts at non-conformity in human history. I also didn't see the rules until basically the competition was over. Had I, I would have put my badge in the right place. Apologies to all, and especially vttym. If it's any consolation, I didn't win.

Second - at risk of getting into an argument on the internet, especially on a forum I'm not a usual poster to - I will dispute the idea that I was poaching. Here's a list of the location of my kills:

1) Westin Hotel Lobby
    2) Tabletop Freeplay (victim was walking in the aisles, not at a table)
    3) Next to the Reaper store (tabletop area)
    4) Entry to the Expo floor (this is vttym, I'm 99% sure)
    5) Entry to the Expo floor (vttym's friend)
    6) One of the tabletop stores (I forget which)
    7) Connector from 2nd floor of the Convention Center to the Westin Hotel
    8) Expo Hall by the Geek Chic

And the kill(s) in dispute originated as I was LEAVING the expo hall to head back to tabletop. Also important to note: kills 1 through 7 were all logged BEFORE LUNCH ON FRIDAY. As most other people are saying, the number of badges seemed to decrease exponentially from the start of the convention all the way through. The key to this game seemed to be to get as many kills as quick as possible.

The sleeve scandal I will 100% cop to. The poaching one I will not - if you're on the expo floor, be ready, because you're playing the game.

You are correct in that those kills were me and my friend - I don't disagree with the fact that I was on the expo floor, and if you weren't poaching, then I apologize for the insinuation. There was probably some frustration in that post.

The rules being posted earlier would likely have prevented confusion (I can safely say you weren't the only one in this boat).

Congrats on second place, and I look forward to killing you next year ;)

Thanks, and sounds good vttym - I'll have to keep a sharp eye out.

I'd also like to say that it was absolutely awesome when vttym and one other person (who sadly I didn't catch their name) dropped LOOT in addition to their kill code. I ran over to the Think Geek booth and bought a little something to give out when I got iced, but ended up living through the end. If I play next year I'm definitely going to have some loot ready from the get-go. It really pushed the game up another level.

edited March 2013
    With Intel, it doesn't let you register it twice, right? I just want to make sure because I got a good amount but only put in half and don't know which ones I did. :-X

edit: Also, there are a TON of people who haven't put in kills/intel.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    As usual, I saw my target in a crowd but they disappeared before I could kill them. Then died a few minutes later while in Tabletop. My girlfriend got one kill on Sat and we never saw her next target.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
    edited March 2013
    To register intel right now, you have to go through the kills page (which has an intel portion). I tried through the intel page and it says you can't because there isn't a game going on.

I ended with 2 kills (both secondary) and 18 intel.

I wound up wearing my dead button on Friday and Saturday, but not Sunday.

My group is pretty excited to do this again next year. I figured we wouldn't find ANYONE and we were a part of a massacre like an hour or two into Friday. I wound up getting two kills before being offed myself. I gathered a ton of intel though and all Saturday we made it a point to walk in formation to scout for our friend. It was pretty hilarious sitting down to lunch and chatting with another table saying they think they saw someone with a button on the other side of the room. One of them went over to scout. Haha.

Has it ever been discussed to do QR codes for recording points or putting together an assassin's app for said QR codes?

edit: Also, has it been thrown around that each faction could have certain special abilities? Maybe in order to use said ability, you give your killer/target a little card (ala mission card size) to let them know you are using it and so that you can't cheat and keep using an ability.

Just more things to think about for next East.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Indeed me and my buddy had alot of fun. It kept us on our toes to kill someone.

I like the idea of a special ability but i dont know how that would work in the real world. And it would be really cool if there was a set time on a day were all the assassins met up and had a little shin-dig a party of sorts. I always had problems finding something to do after 6pm. Or each faction could do something. I love meeting new people and it kinda sucked to meet your assassin and then all of a sudden they are off.

QR codes that would be awsome, just scan the persons pin and your off and running including the intel.. idk how hard that would be to program something like that.

I never got that much intel b.c i was alive all the days of PAX and i didnt dare approach someone and them end up being my assassin.

Cant wait till next year.!!!

Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015

I almost liked dying early so I can 1) Not worry about gathering intel and 2) Help spy/scout for my friend. Our walking formation was funny, with one in front of our alive friend and two on his side. It was like we were his bodyguards. His button wasn't hidden at all, so all people had to do was look past the formation. He said it felt like he was in Assassin's Creed, blending into the crowd.

An assassins meet-up sounds like something that could be done, but do you want to meet up with people though? They will find out who you are and if you are their target. And I would hold off on exchanging intel at such a meet up so that I can not help my enemies. Heh.

As for special abilities, it would be a quick little card exchange or maybe you have [ ] [ ] [ ] on a card and your opponent marks it off. So, this way it keeps you honest, as they mark the card for you and it is in permanent marker as to prevent people from cheating in some way. That is a discussion for the future. Maybe zombies can "play dead" and put their button upside down? Cowboys can snipe (maybe they take the advantage if two people assassinate at the same time)? Ponies can run away? Basically things to hold you off from dying, but who knows how balanced that is when there are soooo many people at the convention and in the game.

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited March 2013
    The meet up would work out. You dont wear your pin. It would just meet a little party for all of the players of Assassins Ball. With all of the people that would be there it would be hard to find the same person that you met with the other day. With the amount of people playing the game a party could easily worked out.

After reading what you wrote i think a special ability would be cool depending on the faction you were part of.
    Ponies have a card that allows you to run away once.
    Cowboys if the assassin approaches you and they get you first they can fire back depending if they are your target if not they get killed then.
    And etc.. you get were im going with this

ViciousEin02 on
    Pax East 2015
    Assassins Ball 2015