As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'm sure the price point is set by the fact that it's an mmo on consoles where there is a much smaller market and they can't have two price structures for the game on different platforms on release. That being said $60 is a bit rich for my blood and there's no way I can come up with it in time to make the pre-order window so I'll be buying less with my cash and that sort of burns me.

Maybe I'll cave and buy it next check or wait for a price drop. We'll see.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I personally like Blur, myself. Cloak gets overused.

The other two powers are a bit lacking in comparison.

488W936.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I like decoy for PvE stuff but it's very situational and I wouldn't take it into PvP.

It's best use is getting the riot shield guys to turn from you so you can blast them in the back.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    I went with OC and haven't really felt too bad about it. Then again, without having a comparison to go off of I'm sure salisbury steak taste like top beef.

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    Bugs I've come across:
    1) Some weapons seem stuck in the inventory, won't let me delete them or sell them or break them down

That's because you have them equipped in one of your other loadout slots, unequip it and you can do whatever you want with it. Not a bug, just really obtuse UI.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Entaru wrote: »
    I like decoy for PvE stuff but it's very situational and I wouldn't take it into PvP.

It's best use is getting the riot shield guys to turn from you so you can blast them in the back.

You can also hit the button again to teleport to where the decoy is.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Retaba wrote: »
    Bugs I've come across:
    1) Some weapons seem stuck in the inventory, won't let me delete them or sell them or break them down

That's because you have them equipped in one of your other loadout slots, unequip it and you can do whatever you want with it. Not a bug, just really obtuse UI.

No, I don't.

Which is to say, I've been using them to switch between weapons quicker in the field. I don't have those weapons equipped.

Retaba on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I love the shield dudes. They're so fat and slow and they take full damage from explosives from the front.

A spawn of them just makes me go VEE HEE HEE and pull out my trusty grenade launcher.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    This goes live on the 26th for 360 right? Or should I re download it?

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    April 2 for all platforms....unless you mean the beta...then I got no idea.

• Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    I'm on the beta, but on my 360 it won't start, I pretty sure it's the 26th for mee

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Explosives are the king of PvP. Cloak and Overcharge are definitely the best powers.

I finally got into a few matches on Observatory and I like it the best. It's an 8v8 deathmatch and the map is much more interesting than the other two options.

I really hope they develop more maps and game types for PvP, maybe that restrict weapon types and loadouts.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    My rocket launcher shoots one rocket, that explodes, and in that explosion six more explosives gettison out in a wide arch, AoEing the area the rocket hit, equaling more explosions.

It does pretty good in PvP.

Some weapon balancing for PvP would not be amiss though, because it is basically explosives and grenades and LMG spam to win, plus the occasional sniper and roadkill.

488W936.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I yelled at the Trion guys earlier today for having their beta weekend during PAX East, and they informed me that the beta had been extended to the 27th.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I yelled at the Trion guys earlier today for having their beta weekend during PAX East, and they informed me that the beta had been extended to the 27th.

I'm sorry what

488W936.png
  • Options

So do I continue playing... or let my appetite grow and avoid the game til launch... Decisions, decisions...

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

Pretty sure that's only the 360 beta: http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/03/19/defiance-xbox-live-beta-date-extended/

Anyway, I played for an few hours this weekend. Overall I like it, but I'm not sure if I want to pay the full $60 for what it brings. I can see it being fun, I just worry it won't have quite enough to keep me entertained. I only did a bit of the first area, do the missions keep getting bigger? It seemed generally like all the side quests were "go here, activate 3 things." and the main missions were "go here, kill enemies until you're done."

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I paid full price for both SWTOR and Guid Wars 2 at launch and didn't play them for more than a couple months.

I know I'm mostly burned out on MMOs but I am fully prepared to pay $60 for this at release.

I shouldn't but... it's fun! It'll be different this time! ("it's a Bioware story and Star Wars!" and then, "It has no sub! Plus it looks pretty.") This time it's: "Non-traditional combat is fun, and there's no sub, and vehicles! Plus maybe the show could be cool?"

I really hope it is different this time. Any other folks grabbing it at launch?

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    I already preordered on Steam, it looks fun and I look forward to gathering weapons.

There are things I'm not that happy about though, like no storage space.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I have about myself and 3-4 other people getting it at launch. Should be a decent crowd to play with at the start. We'll see how long everyone keeps playing, but without a sub its basically just a huge open game I can play with other people whenever we want. I'm not worried about it, really.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, went ahead and preordered on Steam, as well. Given the ridiculous amount of time as I spent just exploring and thumping in Firefall, having an open world shooter actually include PVE mission content for me to do is icing on the cake. I'm saying the cake is perfect, but it's the best cake of its type I've seen in awhile.

And Kyanilis, I do tend to agree with you in regards to the mission structure for most of what I've seen. When I played it at launch, the game 'APB' fell into this trap pretty bad as well, in regards to mission types. But to be completely honest, everything can be broken down to either killing something(s) or pressing something(s). I'm not trying to being argumentative or start a huge debate, just merely pointing out that after literally Y-E-A-R-S of fantasy theme'd questing, even a slight change in context is at least a momentary breath of fresh air.

With that said, honestly any suggestion I give on how to change it up would be something already done in most games to try and break the monotony. Turret quests, sniper quests, stealth quests, vehicle quests, etc, etc. Given that this is a shooter and not a hotbar MMO, I would almost argue though that THAT provides enough of an inherent difference to sate me long enough to get my moneys worth out of the game.

Basically, will it be perfect... nope. Will I have fun enough to justify the purchase... I'm betting so.

Edit: I keep thinking of Far Cry 3 and how you could attack outposts. The goal was obviously to clear the place, but the fun was in how you decided to go about it. THAT'S how I get enjoyment out of most of the "go here and press 3 buttons" quests.

Decoy on
  • Options
    It appears as though editing still screws up formatting. Sorry for the wall of text apparently.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    The valuation may be high on pc but i imagine its just to match the 360 and ps3 copies.

Ill be there on launch... we going with W.A.N.G. again?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the show is going to be available on-line anywhere? Specifically Hulu or Amazon.

I played enough of the game to know that I want it, I'm just not sure I $60 want it, so I was going to let my enjoyment of the first episode make the decision. Then I found out the show is launching two weeks after the game and hnrgh, that's like forever! I guess that reaction should probably tell me what my answer is but there are so many other games I should be playing.

Also I want to say that it is a mad world where a MMO shooter tied into a TV show produced by SyFy is something that is not dismissed out of hand, much less actually good. That's just fucking nuts.

I wonder what happens to the MMO if the show tanks.

• Options
    Aiserou wrote: »

Probably the same thing that happened to MXO after the Matrix Trilogy concluded. They continue the lore through the game. Which I'd honestly be fine with as long as it makes sense. How they'll handle characters on the show dying off, but remain in game (due to MMOs being... well, MMOs) is something I'm interested in.

I mean, without anyone spoiling story stuff, I'm curious how the game handles it's "in-place" content. Essentially, how "in-place" is in-place. Will we always have the same basic starting experience, and then work through the same story eventually getting to where the show is currently at? I didn't notice (or even hear of) any sort of active phasing, so... No idea.

• Options
    I'll most likely be pre-ordering this in the next couple days. When I heard that a SyFy show and an MMO were being released, I thought that it was laughably absurd. This beta weekend was pleasantly surprising, though.

My biggest concern is still that the game is being constrained by the show's schedule and that it would prevent some of the issues from being resolved.

I still have little doubt that I could derive 60 bucks worth of entertainment from the game. I'm not yet sure if Defiance will be played as much my most played MMO's, but the audacity of Trion and SyFy to do something like this is very exciting. After playing the game and seeing what they're putting into the show, I think they might even pull it off.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Beta confirmed my instinct to pre-order. The shooting felt solid, the variety in guns seems good, and the world is fun to run around and explore in.

Didn't get to try Detonators or Infectors. I assume the Detonators are like grenade launchers?

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Why are you guys paying 60$ for this when I can get it almost everywhere for 28€?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Pretty sure that's only the 360 beta: http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/03/19/defiance-xbox-live-beta-date-extended/

Anyway, I played for an few hours this weekend. Overall I like it, but I'm not sure if I want to pay the full $60 for what it brings. I can see it being fun, I just worry it won't have quite enough to keep me entertained. I only did a bit of the first area, do the missions keep getting bigger? It seemed generally like all the side quests were "go here, activate 3 things." and the main missions were "go here, kill enemies until you're done."

If this is true I'll be a bit annoyed, since I made it fairly clear I was playing on PC when I spoke with them. Oh well.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Why are you guys paying 60$ for this when I can get it almost everywhere for 28€?

I know I can probably get 20% off from various places but the Steam offers/having it on Steam are swaying me that way. Plus I have some money in my Steam Wallet already thanks to hats.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    edited March 2013

i didnt. gmg has a 20% coupon that is valid on it . Plus gmg wallet monies.

Point being you are correct.... there are ways to get this encheapened from the 60.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options

I like steam, also the only other website I could of think of that would be a discount is Greenman Gaming and it is a british website so sometimes my bank doesn't accept payments to them. Because they think I am stealing my own money.

Also, it is 60$ there too.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Point being you are correct.... there are ways to get this encheapened from the 60.

What was the coupon? This is relevant to interests, those of me and @Entaru.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You mean the one listed on their website on the main page? ;)

GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You mean the one listed on their website on the main page? ;)

GMG20-FDSCL-AQQXD

Yup. Gmg puts their coupons out front. No fooling around... They want your business.

48 is more palatable than 60

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    Aiserou wrote: »

Probably the same thing that happened to MXO after the Matrix Trilogy concluded. They continue the lore through the game. Which I'd honestly be fine with as long as it makes sense. How they'll handle characters on the show dying off, but remain in game (due to MMOs being... well, MMOs) is something I'm interested in.

I mean, without anyone spoiling story stuff, I'm curious how the game handles it's "in-place" content. Essentially, how "in-place" is in-place. Will we always have the same basic starting experience, and then work through the same story eventually getting to where the show is currently at? I didn't notice (or even hear of) any sort of active phasing, so... No idea.

In general, unless something happens to the two main characters(The dude and his alien adopted daughter who you are on either side of your ejection pods during the start) there wouldn't have to be any changes.

Mostly because where the game is, and where the SHOW is are not the same locations. Despite the name, we don't go to Defiance in-game.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Something I enjoyed about the mission progression is that the story missions do get more complex in their execution, though they retain the basic "shoot the dudes, click the thing, maybe protect the guy" formula.

Its just that there's more of the clicking and shooting and protecting going on all at once. It can get pretty challenging if you're doing it wrong like me and trying to use a grenade launcher in close quarters while fighting a defensive action.

Guddamn that grenade launcher and I.

We're like /this/.

Where /this/ is an explosion followed by a faceplant.

Seriously we get along like a shed filled with gas canisters on fire. I will be so happy when I get the reduced damage radius perk.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Out Of ContextOut Of Context Registered User regular
    So a thing I noticed during the beta that I hope is just because I didn't see enough- gear progression seems to be pretty much nonexistent? A level 150 gun I found had the exact same stats as the level 40 version of the same gun that I had been using (except for an actually slightly worse fire rate). If the only bonus with higher level guns is the possibility of more mod slots, it seems... underwhelming. Otherwise, though, the game is as fun as a thing that is really fun.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So a thing I noticed during the beta that I hope is just because I didn't see enough- gear progression seems to be pretty much nonexistent? A level 150 gun I found had the exact same stats as the level 40 version of the same gun that I had been using (except for an actually slightly worse fire rate). If the only bonus with higher level guns is the possibility of more mod slots, it seems... underwhelming. Otherwise, though, the game is as fun as a thing that is really fun.

Mod slots seem like they can be more powerful if they are a 'set'. I got one for what was called a Brutal Synergy Set, and on top of the usual benefits they basically give you a set bonus based on how many you have.

I'm hoping there's some kind of big Hub town, a place where you might encounter an auction area of sorts.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    I don't think they are going to put in exponentially increasing gear like in MMORPGs. I believe they have stated that the game is supposed to be slanted towards being skill based.

The higher EGO ratings allow for more mod options and maybe different bonuses when you fill their XP bars. I only maxed out a couple weapons, so I don't know what all the benefits of maxed weapons will be.