As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar]One thread down, hopefully many more to go

BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
So, What's all this about then?
New MMO being developed by NCSoft affiliate Carbine studios that takes the best of fantasy and Sci-fi, tosses them into a room before telling them to "Make it work" and create a child
http://www.wildstar-online.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4_riSI7Ydg

First beta phase is a go, with NDA more watertight than a duck's butthole. If you get into CBT1 don't ruin your chances and say you are in the beta. See Corehealers post on p12 about what to do if HYPOTHETICALLY, you are selected for this event and remember that snitches get stitches

INFORMATION FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN APPLYING TO THE BETA IN THE PA GROUP
Corehealer wrote: »
I sent in an app for beta; in the sections referring to a gaming community, I put in the following:

We Are Nice Gulag [WANG] - Penny Arcade Forum Community Guild (WANG is subject to change but these Wildstar guys seem to be more carefree and willing to accept a tongue in cheek guild tag)

Leader: Corehealer (I started the GW2 guild assuming it would hold my attention for more then a month; I go into this with the same assumption. I hope we can put roots down for a long time in this game, as I always want to do in an MMO, and I have that hope for this game, which seems to be catering to that imperative with player housing and paths and all this other extra stuff on top of the basic gameplay and setup and PvE/PvP stuff. If I leave, I will make sure to leave the guild in capable hands as I did with Rysk in GW2)

Leader E-mail: mandrews151@cogeco.ca

Number of Players: 10-25 (Not a hard limit, just my initial guess for potential PA forumers who'd be interested in playing, based on this thread)

Group Website: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/176607/wildstar-its-like-the-ratchet-and-clank-mmo-i-didnt-know-i-wanted/p1 (I used the first page of this thread with the OP in; we'll figure out stuff with that as we go ahead.

We'll figure out guild specifics as we go ahead into beta. Feel free to hop on TS3 (info is in my sig) and we can discuss Wildstar.

Meet The Dominion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FhB3iYv4Ng

The Cassian - The top dogs of the group, tasked with the heavy burden of bringing civilization and prestige to the unwashed masses. They're better than you. They know it and they have no problems constantly reminding everyone else about it through arrogance or just good old fashioned brute force.

The Draken - The meanest sumbitches in the galaxy. Dragon folk. Warriors, hunters and fighters. Not hard to find at all. Just gotta follow the trail of decapitated corpses

The Mechari - Ruthless killing machines created by the Eldan to sniff out traitors and spies. Humor deficient

The Chua - The real brains behind The Dominion's tech. Pint sized rodents worked into a near psychotic froth at the mere sight of technology

Meet The Exiles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8648VGMKM

Humans - Humans this go aren't the big boys on the block. Wanderers, nomads and explorers using good old fashioned Grit and Determination™ to find a new world to call home. The Dominion though? Fuuuuuck those guys.

The Granok - Stone skinned ass kickers and name takers. If they aren't busting heads, they're probably somewhere pounding back cold ones. For the sake of simplification let's call them 8 foot tall space dwarves.

The Aurin - Requisite hippies only with more fur, tail, tooth and claw. Scrappy lil cusses not afraid to throw down if they have to though.

The Mordesh - Exile black ops. Technically dead and using a combination of science and cybernetics to keep themselves from rotting away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0mgu0_i3c

Classes

Warrior - Warriors are unstoppable juggernauts on the battlefield, using a combination of heavy weaponry, powerful armor and advanced technology to take care of business.

Fearless bruisers that give as good as they get, Warriors are at their best when charging into the fray. Equipped with a heavy battle suit, and armed with a giant tech-sword and a plasma blasting arm cannon, Warriors use hyper-charged kinetic cells which allow the use of powerful attacks and greatly improve their destructive potential.

Drawing upon the power of these kinetic cells give Warriors access to a wide array of strategic technological capabilities designed to damage, disarm, or incapacitate their enemies. In short, the Warrior is a walking death machine, absorbing impressive amounts of damage while dispatching his foes by the dozens.

Spellslinger - Spellslingers are deadly and dangerous pistoleers, often found beyond the Fringe working as bounty hunters, bodyguards, and guns-for-hire.

Spellslingers fight with a unique style that's a lethal combination of magic, reflexes and instinct - making them some of the most feared combatants in the galaxy. By wielding specially designed mag pistols, Spellslingers manipulate arcane energy to create powerful magic sigils – greatly increasing their accuracy and infusing their projectiles with destructive power.

Along with their deadly weapons, Spellslingers also use acrobatic agility to quickly move around the battlefield - positioning themselves to inflict the most damage upon their enemies. These deadly abilities, coupled with steely-eyed resolve, make the Spellslinger a truly frightening foe in battle.

Stalker - Stalkers are feared throughout the galaxy as silent and deadly assassins who always eliminate their targets.

The Stalkers’ training begins with an injected serum of advanced nanotechnology. The nanites within the serum instantly create a cerebral interface that gives the Stalker access to powerful technological abilities—such as advanced stealth capabilities, optical holoprojection, and enhanced defenses. This interface also accelerates and enhances the Stalker’s physiological systems, allowing them to execute impressive physical feats and complex martial arts disciplines. These abilities, used in concert with a pair of well-balanced alloy clawblades, make the Stalker a fearsome opponent on the field of battle.

Stalkers are also masters of tactical combat. Using their neurological enhancements, they strategically control the battlefield, utilizing combat hardware such as proximity mines to maximize their kill potential in each and every encounter. Their cerebral interface also provides real-time analytical data during encounters, allowing Stalkers to energize their clawblades based on their opponents’ greatest vulnerabilities. The result? During combat, Stalkers leave a pile of corpses in their wake before silently disappearing into the shadows.

Esper - Espers are masters of the mind who tap into powerful psychic energies to lash out and incapacitate enemies or strengthen and protect their friends.

The connection between the mind and body is a powerful thing, and no one demonstrates this better than an Esper. Rare individuals that display unusual mental fortitude, Espers must undergo rigorous training in order to harness the turbulent, chaotic energies of the mind – eventually learning to focus and transform this energy into telekinetic power. Once they have mastered this ability, Espers learn to use the psyblade – a sharp and deadly projectile weapon propelled through the air by the force of their minds.

But the psyblade is not the only weapon in the Esper's arsenal. They can also manipulate mental energy to create illusions so convincing they are capable of inflicting very real damage on their enemies. This same technique can be used to bolster friends, allowing them to return to the fray after being injured in battle. A fully trained Esper can turn the tide in any conflict, sustaining and healing their allies while dishing out devastating mental blasts against their foes.

[2 more as of unrevealed classes to follow]

FEATURES:

Player Housing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScEliEh2_Xo

PATHS

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/paths/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmCyPXv5APY&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJkfhxLEhEU&feature=youtu.be

Paths are additional character creation options used to tailor your gameplay experience towards your own playstyles. Maybe you're that guy that just wants to KILL! KILL! KILL! or that person that likes to go "goating" around the MMO landscape to look for places you shouldn't normally be able to reach. Paths are for those players.

-Soldier:This is the Path for the people that want to get down and dirty. Assassinations and weapon R&D your thing? This is the path for you my friend! You're going to be that guy that does everything from defending a spot from waves upon waves of enemies, to summoning world bosses for people to fight. Cigar and can of beer not included

-Explorer: Have you ever played an mmo and saw a building or mountain off somewhere and wondered to yourself "Can I get on top of that?" That's the explorer. Finding hidden pathways and beautiful vistas with your tracking sense and intuition. Open shortcuts through a zone, find hidden caves, ruins and treasure. You are Indiana Jones. In space. Roll with it

-Scientist: The lore junkie. The scholar. Yours is the path of finding out what the heck all this crap is for! If you were the type of person whose OCD didn't allow them to leave a jrpg or zelda game until every nook was checked and every pot smashed, scanned, searched or whathave you. This is the path for you. It's your job to catalogue all the plants and critters of the world!

-Settler: Are you a people person? I sure hope so. Settlers are all about helping out your fellow player (maybe with a little extra incentive thrown in for you) It's your duty to maintain towns and outposts, providing buffs, mounts, taxis and outpost defense to give your fellow players a safe haven in-between their many adventures!

What Is A Warplot?

A warplot is a flying battle fortress that you build and customize with other members of your battle group, to do battle with other members of your battle group

PSN: Waybackkidd
"...only mights and maybes."
Beezel on

• Options
    reserved

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    It's Pixar, the Movie, the Game. But with player housing and forts and PvP and all sorts of cool looking stuff.

Sorry Runescape and WoW, future generations of MMO gamers should start with Wildstar as babby's first real MMO, provided it delivers.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    Well, thematically that certainly looks excellent.

Will have to keep my eye on this one and see what it delivers! That was quite a few promised features though, which puts me firmly in the "believe it when I see it" camp.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    If they can maintain that style and narrative throughout the remainder of the game, consider it bought. Load the thing up with cinematics if they need to, just keep that consistent throughout the main arc and that'd be enough to sell a lot people. Keeping them, on the other hand... well, like Core said, it's gotta deliver.

Don't like those faction introductions so much, though. First impression shows it less as a "blue vs red" faction split and more of an "empire vs rebels", where the scrappy rebels are just trying to carve out a home they can call their own except that the mean old empire looking for total galactic conquest wants to take it away from them. What's that you say? Oh gosh, the rebel alliance is hopelessly outnumbered, how horrible! Well, except for the majority of the playerbase. Is there going to be open-world Player versus Player combat? Can't wait to see who wins that war!

naengwen on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'm going Dominion. Fight the underdogs as the real underdogs and watch the Exiles become essentially the kid zone Alliance of Wildstar.

488W936.png
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Jak and Daxter-like is the better term for it. I was going with Ratchet and Clank because everything explodes into loot instead of bolts. Then again, I don't remember what people did in Jak and Dax.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Jak and Daxter-like is the better term for it. I was going with Ratchet and Clank because everything explodes into loot instead of bolts. Then again, I don't remember what people did in Jak and Dax.

They wished they were playing Crash Bandicoot.

488W936.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

They wished they were playing Crash Bandicoot.

No one in the history of the world has wished they were playing Crash Bandicoot.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    The Dominion plainly brings all the milkshakes to the yard, wot.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    The Exiles just can't handle Refinement of that magnitude.

• Options
    Retaba wrote: »
    The Exiles just can't handle Refinement of that magnitude.

Also they are the faction of furries.

488W936.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I... I, wow.

Okay, so this is totally a day one for me.

Now to liberally apply a hammer to my head so I can forget all that I have seen and bring my hype level to a more controllable state. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    this looks pretty cool.

What exactly is there target demo with all the Cutsie graphics juxtaposed with cursing?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    this looks pretty cool.

What exactly is there target demo with all the Cutsie graphics juxtaposed with cursing?

People who grew up on Pixar movies or are currently doing so, and want to try a bigger video game then their swear filled CoD clones.

488W936.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Honestly? If they can keep the humorous tone and deliver on some of these very big promises, they have a day one buy from me.

Speaking of big promises, Player housing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ScEliEh2_Xo

Beezel on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Well, it certainly looks interesting enough. Not sure how it will do though, due to the NCSoft part.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I don't trust NCsoft proper but it seems these days they're giving their western arms a lot more leeway than they did back in the 90s-early 00s. But I realize that Carbine don't have the same brand recognition as say, Arenanet. Honestly it could go either way at this stage

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    This is completely a subscription MMORPG?

• Options
    No real details on the pricing model

• Options
    From what saw of the combat it looks like GW2's positional based combat mixed with The Secret World's tell system. Which is basically what I wanted from GW2's combat. The only difference is you can see your own attack's area of influence as well as your enemy's

• Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    Any actual gameplay footage?

I love the art style and humorous tone.

Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    I'm guessing more concrete details are still a ways off yet, so no gameplay or combat footage minus the implied ones from those trailers.

I bet we start seeing that stuff later this year though.

488W936.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    From what saw of the combat it looks like GW2's positional based combat mixed with The Secret World's tell system. Which is basically what I wanted from GW2's combat. The only difference is you can see your own attack's area of influence as well as your enemy's

From what I played of it at PAX this morning, this is about right. Except the whole thing feels slow, cumbersome, and... old. I'd like to play more of it, try some different classes maybe (I was playing as the hulking fighter dude), see if they feel different, but it doesn't feel as fluid as GW2 does at all. Seeing the cones of influence was kind of nice, but that's in GW2 as it is, so eh..

Like I said, I'd love to get some more time with it sometime, but what I played did not leave the greatest impression.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Trying to edit broke this post a little so lemme try again

Beezel on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Its everything i never knew I wanted.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtl_tBRPWDU

40 something minute dev playthrough showing off various features

There was a gamespot video that highlighted a quest where you had to ride around a rare space rhino strapped with explosives and use it to blow up poachers that were hunting said rhinos. All while avoiding the wild rhinos in the area because if they see you they will become "enamored" with you and the obvious follow up with that will make you prematurely explode.

• Options
    As an aside, in the two lengthiest videos I did see, the devs seemed pretty reserved and slightly apprehensive about what they were and were not allowed to talk about/show. They comment as much audibly at several points in the Gamespot video.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for this. I think this may be my next MMO actually.

• Options
    Beta sign ups are live so like, we should probably do that.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCqgowlTKo

Found it. Gamespot Now Playing

• Options
    Okay, something of a proper OP up finally. I'll add more info as it's covered

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This was not on my radar whatsoever until I wandered by their booth this past weekend.

Looking really great, got to play around with the Spellslinger a bit and the combat seems pretty good, but I think it'll be much much better with all of my attacks mapped to my mouse. Trying to remain mobile and using attacks with the number keys was a bit cumbersome.

• Options
    Signed up for beta.

Also, Dominion for life, yo.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So the Dominion basically has a race of playable HK-47s/Necrons and monocle wearing snooty evil humans? Why would anyone on this forum choose the Exiles?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I got a beta key from PAX Prime last year so I'm hoping that actually gives me priority for the beta. I don't have the card itself anymore and I can't recall if it said anything about a guaranteed spot or not, heh.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Cassians are basically the best and the fourth Exile race would have to be truly incredible to get me to not play them.

• Options
    A lot of us jumping on this and getting down on that warplot business sounds like a blast

• Options
    A lot of us jumping on this and getting down on that warplot business sounds like a blast

It shall be constructed out of the most expensive materials money can buy!

Complete with an endangered animal taxidermy room. Oh, also, a solid diamond fountain that endlessly spews worth fine, fine cognac.

...In my fantasy we are Dominion. :P

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Well, so far we haven't had to lynch any supporters of the Exiles. I think we're good on the Pro Dominion front for now.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

It shall be constructed out of the most expensive materials money can buy!

Complete with an endangered animal taxidermy room. Oh, also, a solid diamond fountain that endlessly spews worth fine, fine cognac.

...In my fantasy we are Dominion. :P

PA Dominion guild: We Are Nice Gulag.

Unlike Protostar, we keep dreams from coming true. For MONEY!

488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.