As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Bi-weekly updates to living story continue. Lots of good stuff coming!

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Lagnar wrote: »
    Good stuff helping out SAO tonight folks.

Reminder to anyone who isn't at PAX (Lucky ducks!) that the main guild bounty event will at 7:00 PST tomorrow. Hope to see a few of you there!

Yay, I'm glad it went well! Thanks to everyone who participated, and thanks again to Lagnar for helping organize. :)

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Psylocke finally got Vision of the Mists!

WCqoWky.jpg
    PWrBpJ7.jpg

special thanks to @Cobalt60 and Tavalisk and everyone who ever sold me Oric or Ecto at a discount! :D:D:D:D

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Wicked!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • VahkrisVahkris TexasRegistered User regular
    Pretty...and appropriate! Gratz!

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    You guys know that the primary cultural influence on male and female clothing in games is actually human culture. And I mean real human culture.

That is the largest influence on what we see, and is why we see those kinds of options to begin with. :P

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WCqoWky.jpg
    PWrBpJ7.jpg

special thanks to @Cobalt60 and Tavalisk and everyone who ever sold me Oric or Ecto at a discount! :D:D:D:D

Congratulations!!!

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    You guys know that the primary cultural influence on male and female clothing in games is actually human culture. And I mean real human culture.

That is the largest influence on what we see, and is why we see those kinds of options to begin with. :P

Of course, but if I'd started going on about that, you guys would have an extensive anthropology lecture instead of lore ramblings. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

WCqoWky.jpg
    PWrBpJ7.jpg

Nice! And it still has 2 hilts, I see.....

• MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Hey could I get an invite to the guild (Olorin.6930)?

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Login servers appear to be down. If anyone else is still able to log in, can they let Tir McDohol know I'm stuck?

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »

Done.

On a totally unrelated note I heard some news today...

@GEOD YOU SONNOVA-!!!!

• MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Olorin wrote: »

Done.

On a totally unrelated note I heard some news today...

@GEOD YOU SONNOVA-!!!!

Thank you sir.

• QuetzatcoatlQuetzatcoatl Registered User regular
    Could I get an invite to the guild? Quetz.4389

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Ran the most hilarious Engineer build in WvW the last few days. Relogged in for the first time on Friday to play around with it, but only actually felt like I got good with it yesterday. Played about 2 hours in WvW without dying, got a few dozen kills, maybe 20-40 Badgers.

It's a beyond fun build. I'm basically a big pest, hard as hell to kill, and does some pretty fantastic damage. The closest I came to dying was a 100blades warrior who I attacked while he was fighting a guard. Actually downed him and had about 1/2 of my life left but then he did his res thing and chased me around for a bit before he died for good.

My Gear isn't perfect for the build yet, so I expect it to become even more fun as I get the right gear I need.

Here's the build if anyone's curious: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcIQJAqalspyXH5SdF17IRoC4H0D9mX+K6xjp8kB

Dissociater on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Ran the most hilarious Engineer build in WvW the last few days. Relogged in for the first time on Friday to play around with it, but only actually felt like I got good with it yesterday. Played about 2 hours in WvW without dying, got a few dozen kills, maybe 20-40 Badgers.

It's a beyond fun build. I'm basically a big pest, hard as hell to kill, and does some pretty fantastic damage. The closest I came to dying was a 100blades warrior who I attacked while he was fighting a guard. Actually downed him and had about 1/2 of my life left but then he did his res thing and chased me around for a bit before he died for good.

My Gear isn't perfect for the build yet, so I expect it to become even more fun as I get the right gear I need.

So....

What is your build?

Aldo wrote: »

So....

What is your build?

Just edited it in above. Here it is again: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcIQJAqalspyXH5SdF17IRoC4H0D9mX+K6xjp8kB

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Cool. That's very much what I'm leaning towards. I've really been loving heavy pistol/condition while leveling. Just hit 80, and I think I'm going to cash in my explosives traits for full alchemy. May need to keep speedy kits while I work on map exploration, though. I'm hoping it's dungeon viable, because I'd like to start doing runs. It certainly seems like it is. I think I'd miss the 33% burn with 10 in explosives, though.

What's your preferred gear loadout in terms of stats? At 80, I had some rare rampager's ready to go. I think I'd like to try and get an alternate suit with a ton of toughness for wvw just for fun.

Also, why is the elixir gun so much damn fun?

Straygatsby on
    edited March 2013
    Don't really have preferred gear yet. I was geared power/vit/toughness before respecing to this. So I'm regearing now as I go. I want to basically have + condition damage on every piece, and then an even mix of Power/precision/vitality/toughness for the other stats.

So much of my survivability comes from my ability to escape, rather than my ability to mitigate so I don't mind losing some Vitality and Toughness in favour of more condition damage.

For example. I was on the hill overlooking the supply point by bluebrier in wvw last night (that's the tower in the south-west corner). The enemy zerg swept around below the hill so I knew I had to book it back to the tower if I could before getting cornered. So I ran right through the zerg. Used the toolkit's gear shield and blocked probably 30+ attacks while running through, on the otherside of the block duration I popped down a pistol glue shot. Started throwing down my elixers for the condition removals to get rid of the snares. Got immobilized causing me to stealth. Threw down Elixer S to stealth longer. Supply drop to stun and give myself more room. Elixer S when my health got low. By then Gear shield was off cooldown and it saw my way back into the tower's portal.

I basically ran through an enemy zerg of about 30 players and survived the 30 seconds or so it took to get back to my tower.

The build doesn't slack on the ability to kill other players. Toolkit magnet gives fantastic killing ability by dragging folks off walls, or into your allies to kill. You have glue shot to slow down runners. But most of all it's just plain fun to use. What I was doing was this: I'd drink an elixer B, then magnet drag someone and pry bar them in the face. Switch to pistols for static shot then blowtorch and glue shot and poison dart volley. Takes like 5-6 seconds and you load him up with 7 stacks of confusion, 3 seconds of burning and a bunch of poison. The confusion hits SO HARD. You have 6 condition removal abilities (3 of them are AoE), your heal is only 20 seconds long. It's overall just a lot of fun. I felt like such a jerk to other players.

Oh and just to add, for some fights in Dungeons I'd switch out toolkit for flamethrower. This can be handy for AoE heavy fights.

Dissociater on
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Also, why is the elixir gun so much damn fun?

Maybe because it has good range, skills that make opponents regret getting close, two heals that you can throw down, and the auto attack makes you (and/or allies) take less damage?

(Added quote due to getting ninjaed.)

Man in the Mists on
  • VahkrisVahkris TexasRegistered User regular
    Apparently they're moving in a direction for less "pre-scouting" of the Guild Bounty targets and more on-the-fly scouting and finding (which is something I really would rather do than spending 45 minutes finding every target before starting): https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Guild-bounties-bounty-hunt-time/first#post1683300
    All of the missions are designed to be completed in the fifteen minute window. The pre-scouting methods were never used by the testers. Most found it far more efficient to start the mission and the search the map by dividing up our efforts.

Some of the new bounties are designed to actively encourage this approach instead.
    Komali and Sotzz are good mentions because they reinforce this on the encounter level. You have to learn Komali’s mechanic and how to search for Sottz. Reading the guide doesn’t help because once you know these things, you still have to practice the execution. Even once you’re good at it, you have to continually adjust your strategies when these guys appear in your list.

This is unlikely to change. In fact, the new content is only going to take us further down this road. You just can’t pre-scout Big Mayana or Yanonka. 2-MULT will anti-zerg your faces off.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @dissociater similar to what i'm planning to run on my engi, whom i started levelling again. my plan is to go for rabid gear, it is generally the most popular stat set right now.

not sure if i'd try to go for speedy kits though, and i wanna try grenades. toolkit is too awesome though.

Feldorn on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    They make an awful lot of assumptions when they say things like "our testers didn't need to pre-scout everything". For example, do the testers know information such as how long it takes for each target to make a loop on their path so they can easily estimate where the target is based upon last reset? Do they know the paths? Etc.

If they want to do this and not make it stupidly difficult without large numbers searching for the targets, they should consider giving some NPCs in the various camps/towns of each zone some ability to give you hints where the NPCs could be or some such.

I guess to be fair, we don't always need to do the T3 bounty either, we could just do T1 or T2 multiple times each week. I just wish they'd think about things from the average player's perspective and not just their own viewpoint.

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    So I just hit 80 with my first character this past week. I'm curious - is there anything in WvW that's useful for someone like me who is absolutely pathetic at MMO PVP?

I understand there are some PvE-ish aspects to WvW, but how do they work and are they a good use of my time? Or should I just be sticking to PvE?

Feldorn wrote: »
    @dissociater similar to what i'm planning to run on my engi, whom i started levelling again. my plan is to go for rabid gear, it is generally the most popular stat set right now.

not sure if i'd try to go for speedy kits though, and i wanna try grenades. toolkit is too awesome though.

I was originally trying to run without Elixer B and take Elixer C instead which has been good in WvW for me in the past. But the Swiftness from B was too key to overlook. And with Cleansing Formula 409 made up for at least some of the condition removal of Elixer C. So I could see trying to work in Speedy Kits to gain some more of that speed. I had it for a while back when I used to play before, and it was great but switching in and out of a kit every 5 seconds for permaswiftness was just such a pain in the ass and I didn't want to deal with it hahaha. But depending on how the Boonhate thing shakes out, it might be worth moving 10 points from alchemy, since the last 10 points there between energy conversion matrix and HGH encourage boon stacking and Boonhate is supposed to discourage it it might be worth the change?

I kind of hate grenades. They're great and all but I just hate using them. All of my engineer play and builds centre around finding ways to avoid Grenades like the plague.
    citizen059 wrote: »
    So I just hit 80 with my first character this past week. I'm curious - is there anything in WvW that's useful for someone like me who is absolutely pathetic at MMO PVP?

I understand there are some PvE-ish aspects to WvW, but how do they work and are they a good use of my time? Or should I just be sticking to PvE?

You should just jump in. It's super fun and in my opinion is the best end-game reason to play GW2. If you can find some buddies to play with, it makes it more fun. We used to run WvW regularly in guild, especially on Fridays, although since I've been back I've noticed few people still do WvW. However this Friday just passed I was able to scrounge up about 7 players to run around with. Got many kills and had a good time.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    i would probably only run nades if i was running with a group, if you're roaming, then toolkit and elixirs is more ideal. HGH is great, but in y grenade build, i'd go for 4pc altruism and medkit to give might to my group and decent AoE conditions.

also really liking the proposed changes to badges of honor, i think once i get to 35 and have fresh gear on my engi i'll start jumping in and learn to wvw.

Speaking of WvW, I'm a complete novice to it. Is there some way to determine which of the 4 "battlegrounds" I should select, or is the idea that lots of people from all the worlds are playing all 3 and eternal, and I should just pick whatever? Once I do drop in, do I just head towards the contested areas or is there a more structured way of finding either the zerg or at least some other people to work with? I've always randomly picked some borderland, walked around aimlessly for a few minutes, then just quit.

edited March 2013
    Speaking of WvW, I'm a complete novice to it. Is there some way to determine which of the 4 "battlegrounds" I should select, or is the idea that lots of people from all the worlds are playing all 3 and eternal, and I should just pick whatever? Once I do drop in, do I just head towards the contested areas or is there a more structured way of finding either the zerg or at least some other people to work with? I've always randomly picked some borderland, walked around aimlessly for a few minutes, then just quit.

When you bring up the WvW window ("b" by default) make note of the colour of your server (which I'm guessing is Fort Aspenwood?). This week it is blue I believe.

Therefore in the blue borderlands we will be the defending army with green and red having spots in the south. In the green and red borderlands, blue is an attacker in either the south east or south west corners. Eternal Battlegrounds is a bit triangle map with the castle being the biggest prize in the centre.

Once you've joined a battle, you can open your map to view all of the borderlands and eternal battlegrounds at the same time. If the map you're in is all blue, then there probably isn't much going on there. Try to go to a battleground that has a good mix of colours. So for example: If the red borderlands map has blue holding the blue tower in the south west, then that means we at least hold SOMETHING on that map. So chances are there's some good fighting going on. I would join this map and run to the tower and take a look around. Look for crossed gold (not white) swords on the map. This means there's a battle going on there, it's often worth checking out, but approach cautiously in case there's culling going on blocking you from loading the enemy (which is supposed to go away soon I think).

Edit: to add to this - if you see a commander icon on the map, try to guess what they're up to before running across the map to join them. If they're at the very top of the map, or any of the northern supply camps, but don't hold either the bay or the hill keeps, then they're probably just flipping supply campes and it's not worth your time. If the commander icon is at the walls of a keep on the map, go check it out. Also keep an eye on /team chat, or just ask where there's action.

Dissociater on
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Ideally do WvW with people in NICE and have them show you the ropes. alternatively pick a BL or EB. doesnt matter which one, though if you dont own anything you might want to switch to a map where you own at least something. Look for a blue dorito on your map and that will be where your teams group is. If there are more than one you can join a group by right clicking it on your map and pressing join squad.

But seriously role with the people in NICE that wvw when they are on. And its best to be on voice with them.

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    My biggest issues are that I'm slow, clumsy, and relatively unaware of what's going on around me.

These things don't benefit the PvP environment, from what I understand. :rotate:

So yeah, a PvP superstar I will never be...I just want to contribute and feel like I didn't waste my limited playtime.

• TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    Just follow the Blue Dorito in WvW, and don't take supply from anything except Supply Camps unless specifically instructed to do so. Other than that, just pick up downed people, stack Vitality and Toughness, and use a ranged weapon until you learn the ropes.

Get on voice chat if your server has it.

steam_sig.png
    Thanks for the info, folks. Maybe I'll have a chunk of time this weekend to use some of these tips and builds and try out WvW for realsies. I think first I'll need to suss up a more pvp oriented stat suit and beer, definitely beer.

In general, don't worry about being useless in wvw. Unless your server has hour+ queues, you have to go through real effort to hinder your server (such as taking supply from a keep that needs it for upgrades). Worst case scenario, you're another 15k hp that the enemy zerg has to chew through while other people are beating your assailants' faces in.

It's not like Starcraft or Dota where the slightest misstep in your build order will throw the match for a week. Even if your server literally loses everything, you can still do breakout events and take everything back. I've seen my server go from having 15 points of stuff capped to having Stonemist Castle in the same (admittedly long) sitting.

steam_sig.png
    If you're on Fort Aspenwood, I'll likely be putting a group together for the Friday night change over (along with random play during the week).

I foresee wuvwuv making a comeback this coming week due to the new changes. I'm already interested in getting back in.

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Could I get an invite to the guild? Quetz.4389

Invite sent.

I foresee wuvwuv making a comeback this coming week due to the new changes. I'm already interested in getting back in.

Here's hoping. WvW is my favorite part of this game, and it sucks when nobody logs in.

steam_sig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Hey the jumping puzzle spreadsheet appears to be in error regarding Demongrub Pits, the entrance link goes to a screencap of the entrance for Troll's End.

• DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    So I started playing this about 10 odd days back and I'm up to level 60. However its my first MMOPRG and I have literally no idea how to make a somewhat decent build. What should I be aiming for in regards to speccing a warrior? What skills to use, elite, traits, weapons and stats to go for? Currently I just use four banners and whatever weapon I think looks coolest at the time.

Norn warrior, if that makes much of a difference.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    Domhnall wrote: »
    So I started playing this about 10 odd days back and I'm up to level 60. However its my first MMOPRG and I have literally no idea how to make a somewhat decent build. What should I be aiming for in regards to speccing a warrior? What skills to use, elite, traits, weapons and stats to go for? Currently I just use four banners and whatever weapon I think looks coolest at the time.

Norn warrior, if that makes much of a difference.

1) Greatsword
    2) Signet of Rage

I kid. (sort of) Warrior greatsword is actually considered one of the best PvE skills in the game. The lack of mobility in its use is far exceeded by its massive DPS. I consider that the ultimate leveling weapon. Signet of Rage is just because it has a short cooldown and does a lot for what you "lose" by activating it.

If you're talking about end game and what you want to run full time, think about what kinds of things you want to do. Do you want to tank, do you want to be a healer style, do you want to be balls out DPS, what about controlling effects? All of these things have viable builds (unless your goal is to make combo fields; warriors only get one) that you can use and mid-grounds where you can do a couple at once. For example, I use Shout-Heals, hammers, and greatsword for DPS. I deal moderate to high amounts of damage, have high survivability, and near invulnerability to conditions with removal on shouts while maintaining ~15 stacks of might at all times with a second weapon that has knockdown, stun, and push effects.

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Axe + Mace is actually more DPS and more utility than Greatsword.

This discussion has been closed.