As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Spider-Man

you're just saying that because it would mean taking it away from Slott, aren't you

he writes a better spider-man than anyone else working for marvel

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Spider-Man

you're just saying that because it would mean taking it away from Slott, aren't you

Paul Jenkins would like a word with you. Unless you meant "current" writers.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well working would imply she does

and Paul Jenkins

really

that's your top Spidey writer?

Zeb Wells and Mark Waid's Spidey could run laps around Jenkins

CYpGAPn.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    i wanted him to write more than bendis, alas.

I started reading comics on a regular basis around the time Avengers Disassembled happened, so I've been reading Bendis's Avengers since day 1, literally.

If you ask me to tell you about something interesting that happened in New Avengers that WASN'T associated with a tentpole event (so other than House of M or Secret Invasion or whatever), I will not be able to answer. Not that I didn't enjoy the book at the time - I did - but as I realize now, I didn't find it engaging enough to be memorable just a few years after.

With Hickman's Avengers, just a few issues out of the gate I can tell you stories about the brightest minds of the Marvel U having to come up with a plan to kill a world, or about the sentient Universe telling the egg-spawned children of a robot world-cleanser to spare Earth, or how what amounts to a software bug caused the Starbrand glyph to be given to a kid who doesn't have the maturity to use it.

I will take one year of Hickman's Avengers over a decade of Bendis's Avengers any day.

Delduwath on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Spider-Man

I think Jason Aaron and Matt Fraction write pretty good Spider-Man, actually.

edit: oh, and Mark Waid.

Centipede Damascus on
    i would not be surprised if fraction and aaron wrote good Spider-Man

plus bendis does a great USM

but Hickman would be the dude I'd trust most

Aaron wrote a fantastic Spidey in his Astonishing Spider-Man/Wolverine mini

like, crazy good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I would definitely love to see what Aaron would do with the main Spider-Man title.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I almost want Hickman on something not in the spotlight, cause he'd make it awesome and bring it back to the spotlight. Let Hickman bring back Runaways or something!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'm telling you, new Dr. Strange ongoing, written by Hickman

or Journey Into Mystery with his choice of lead character. Let him explore the mystic side of Marvel for a while.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I literally don't care what he writes, I will read it. I don't care if it's a no-name Z-lister, a brand new character, or a top-level guy. He's proven himself over and over, so he has my full trust on writing awesome comics.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    if you all could pick what title(s) Hickman takes over when he's done Avengers, what would it be?

Have him return to Ultimates!

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Avengers #8, they really need a better spokesperson/therapist
    Kevin freaks out but doesn't completely lose it, and then it becomes the bully trio of Hulk/Hyperion/Thor to make him calm down by punching him. And then everyone else gets in on the act.

New Avengers #4 was just a great issue from beginning to end, I love the idea of
    them having to fight for the other world more out of the idea that they have to look heroic if someone saw them just take it easy and go back to regular earth, as opposed to genuinely being invested in it.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Well working would imply she does

and Paul Jenkins

really

that's your top Spidey writer?

Zeb Wells and Mark Waid's Spidey could run laps around Jenkins

Have you read Jenkin's Spectacular Spider-man run from 2003? Easily some of the best written spidey stuff ever.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Avengers #8, they really need a better spokesperson/therapist
    Kevin freaks out but doesn't completely lose it, and then it becomes the bully trio of Hulk/Hyperion/Thor to make him calm down by punching him. And then everyone else gets in on the act.

New Avengers #4 was just a great issue from beginning to end, I love the idea of
    them having to fight for the other world more out of the idea that they have to look heroic if someone saw them just take it easy and go back to regular earth, as opposed to genuinely being invested in it.

I feel like you misinterpreted that
    Think that Reed was doing exactly what Cap thought he would, realized it and disgusted with himself went into hero mode.

Quire.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Fraction wrote a terrific Sensational Spider-Man annual about five years ago.

SensationalSpider-ManAnnual1.jpg

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that Hickman leaves off the franchise books for awhile and tries his hand at an original work at Icon, Vertigo, Image or the like. While I love his books with Marvel and his short series, I'd love to see what he could do with a long-form series based around his own ideas.

I'm hoping that Hickman leaves off the franchise books for awhile and tries his hand at an original work at Icon, Vertigo, Image or the like. While I love his books with Marvel and his short series, I'd love to see what he could do with a long-form series based around his own ideas.

Hickman has a huge catalog of creator-owned work. Check his wiki.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Hell, he even has a brand new Image book, East of West, coming out next week.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Yeah, I bet Fraction would write a killer Spider-Man book.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Christopher Yost would be my pick for the next Spidey author due to his current work on Scarlet and Avenging

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Maybe the Cap just stands out as being a good dude because he works with a bunch of jerks...

I imagine Fraction would write a great Spidey he has quite a similar voice to Hawkeye and Iron Fist.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    About New Avengers 4: the scene showing
    Stark contracting the building of a small fraction of a Dyson Sphere for Earth
    made me realize that part of why Hickman's series for Marvel have been so good is because he knows how to go big in a fresh way. Traditionally, going big has just meant teamups and lots of bad guys and some kind of crisis. But what's happened is that readers have slowly become jaded. The megacrossover has become mundane. Saving the world has become rote. Instead Hickman is going big with ideas, not fights. He's making the superheros really seem super, and not just a bunch of guys kickpunching a threat away.

FF/Fantastic 4 wasn't just saving the world, it was about all the characters doing new things and creating new ideas. SHIELD wasn't just about saving the world, it was about a dueling philosophy about it and how SHIELD was always more than simply a UN mandated peacekeeping organization. Secret Warriors was more than just saving the world, it was showing you just how many levels Nick Fury plays the spy game on, all under the nose of the capes. And here in New Avengers, Stark isn't just building more suits, he's thinking bigger and doing power generation on an exponentially bigger scale than just-another-reactor. It invokes a sense of wonder that is sorely lacking in other titles.

Also, it just really brings to mind how in the effort to make society of Marvel-616 resemble ours, editors and writers deliberately keep the average tech level equal to ours, even bringing up global warming as a problem. That's just ridiculous when there are hundreds of superscientists who all have their own superscience solutions for powering robots and suits of armor and flying cars and interdimensional portals and time machines.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Which is why Hickman is one of my personal top three western comic writers, next to Morrison and Carey. They all go big in unique ways and they all put a very heavy focus on world building that many creators ignore.

And man I loved Secret Warriors. Nick Fury plays the game so much better than everyone else that he's reached the Inception of Spy levels. This new Nick Fury Jr. has one hell of a legacy to live up to if he wants to reach 1/10th the level of his old man.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited March 2013
    New Fury- you are so terrible in so many ways, let me list the top three.

1. That you exist for no reason than to somehow not confuse movie watchers, even though a thousand other differences exist between the movie universe and the 616 universe or Ultimate Universe.
    2. That you magically went bald and scarred and one-eyed from an explosion.
    3. That you and Coulson both magically changed personalities from gung-ho marines to an spy willing to shoot Hawkeye in the chest and a guy in a suit with a silenced pistol who wears sunglasses indoors. This also negates everything likeable about movie Coulson.

Zyrxil on
    While I am not a huge fan of New Fury you are kind of outright wrong with a lot of that

Coulson is a killing machine in the MCU, go look at A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer. Hes a goofy guy but a highly trained SHIELD Agent.

Fury had his eye cut out prior to the explosion while being tortured with Old Fury. Leviathan wanted to make them match and fuck with Fury Sr. He also didn't go bald he just shaved his head after recovering. I also don't think he was scarred very much at all from it

CYpGAPn.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The worst part of New Fury is that superior Old Fury might stop showing up.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    They have said he will keep appearing in books

He is in like 3 different ones right now

CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    While I am not a huge fan of New Fury you are kind of outright wrong with a lot of that

Coulson is a killing machine in the MCU, go look at A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer. Hes a goofy guy but a highly trained SHIELD Agent.
    Movie Coulson is a mild-mannered badass. He could be mistaken for an officer worker, yet he's Fury's trusted right hand man and will stand up to a homicidal god with no fear. The intentional contrast is the whole point of the character. On the other hand, comic Coulson wears sunglasses indoors, runs around with a pistol and giant silencer, and in that context his suit looks like an unimaginative James Bond cosplay. Comic Coulson is a thoroughly unlikeable badass douchebag.
    Fury had his eye cut out prior to the explosion while being tortured with Old Fury. Leviathan wanted to make them match and fuck with Fury Sr. He also didn't go bald he just shaved his head after recovering. I also don't think he was scarred very much at all from it
    Right after the explosion though his hair is all "burnt off" neatly, and his eye socket has the same three diagonal scars as Ultimate Fury. It's the most obvious of handwaves that I don't know why they didn't just start with him bald and with the scar and two good eyes.

Zyrxil on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    yeah comic coulson is kind of a twat

and Nick Fury Jr is kind of laughable

But Solar you don't like either Coulson

CYpGAPn.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    what

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    "don't like" is a bit strong

"find utterly uninteresting" is more accurate

I just don't care for his presence in the movies

Same with Nick Fury in the Avengers

go away SHIELD I want to watch the Avengers do stuff not watch you be useless all the time

Solar wrote: »
    Same with Nick Fury in the Avengers

go away SHIELD I want to watch the Avengers do stuff not watch you be useless all the time

Having Nick Fury in the movie meant having Nick Fury argue with POWERS BOOTHE. So....it was worth it.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    That article is kind of ridiculous.

Mutant can't be swapped out with black or asian or any other race. Mutants are literally an off shoot of the human race, and the current head of the mutant revolution is preaching that they are homo superior. Saying that mutants are just human beings like any other person and referring to them a MUTANT (which has some pretty negative connotations in pop culture see: the billion monster movies with mutant in the title) is detrimental to the dream of peaceful co habitation and unity.

Not to mention that Remender is hardlyThe first writer to point out mutant is a pretty shitty term to be tossed around like it is. That scene with Kitty Pryde and the word mutie, for example.

The X-Men started out as a racism allegory but they have gotten so far away from that over the years that trying to take Havok's speech out of the context of the current situation with Scott and AvX and swap out real world races is kinda pointless.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Yeah, Alex is saying that mutant is a slur, not that everyone should pretend there's no difference between a mutant and a baseline human.

doesnt make sense to me seeing as Mutie was already a slur, but whatever

This discussion has been closed.