As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Amanda Knox, acquitted of murder - Italian court orders new trial after appeal

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    So, upon hearing about the media frenzy around Knox, the Kercher family is suing her for £8M. http://www.asianage.com/international/murdered-meredith-kerchers-family-sue-amanda-knox-850

If they were a mourning family that just wanted closure, I'd forgive them for going after Knox despite her being exonerated, but the man who really killed Kercher was already tried and convicted.

And it isn't even appropriate to criticize Knox for making millions off of the ordeal when her family is millions of dollars in debt due to legal fees.

• YarYar Registered User regular
    I think they are just outraged that you scarecely ever hear about their murdered daughter in the news, but Knox is a celebrity. And probably at least knows what happened to their daughter, even if she wasn't significantly involved.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    So, upon hearing about the media frenzy around Knox, the Kercher family is suing her for £8M. http://www.asianage.com/international/murdered-meredith-kerchers-family-sue-amanda-knox-850

If they were a mourning family that just wanted closure, I'd forgive them for going after Knox despite her being exonerated, but the man who really killed Kercher was already tried and convicted.

And it isn't even appropriate to criticize Knox for making millions off of the ordeal when her family is millions of dollars in debt due to legal fees.

Pretty much; being falsely accused, Knox is a victim of the whole mess almost as much as their daughter was. I'm not sure on what grounds they'd be able to recover anything from her.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yar wrote:
    I think they are just outraged that you scarecely ever hear about their murdered daughter in the news, but Knox is a celebrity. And probably at least knows what happened to their daughter, even if she wasn't significantly involved.

How on Earth did you come to that conclusion?

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The Sun/Daily Mail were the initial reporters (neither are bastions of good journalism or truth) and both of their pages on that article have been taken down. So take it with a grain of salt for the moment.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    There's a good article on Wired about what went wrong with the DNA evidence in this case:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/10/amanda-knox-dna/

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Xrdd wrote:
    Also, I'd like you to actually name a civilized country with a legal system that doesn't have basic stuff like the right to avoid self-incrimination, right to counsel, presumption of innocence etc.

Well, as far as I know Japan has a pretty bad legal system for a civilized country.

If the World Justice Project is to be believed, they're still comfortably ahead of us (in the US). Though that might not be saying much, given the face value of it, and the problems we're discussing.

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    If I Did It: Confessions of Foxy Knoxy

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    If I Did It: Confessions of Foxy Knoxy

Oprah Stamp, here we come.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The appeals court releases its ruling.

To nobody's surprise, it's 143 pages of "exactly how badly did the trial court screw the pooch".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    They're pushing it all the way to the Italian supreme court? Just how loudly to they want to be yelled at for fucking up?

Hacksaw wrote: »
    They're pushing it all the way to the Italian supreme court? Just how loudly to they want to be yelled at for fucking up?

Well, it turns out that they didn't get yelled at, as the Italian Supreme Court vacated the acquittal.

There is one bit the piece gets wrong, though - Knox won't be facing a new trial, because there is no fucking way the US will extradite her.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I can't imagine the US handing over a citizen to that absolute horse shit clown shoes trial. They didn't even view the trial, they just listened to the horse shit DA who cut a deal with the real killer to go after someone who didn't do a god damn thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    This is one time I'm rather thankful that the US has such a cavalier attitude towards other countries and their demands. No bloody way she's handed over (assuming a guilty verdict). Because obviously, the verdict will be guilty. Somehow.

Stay classy, Italy.

I feel bad for her ex boyfriend, he's going to get kanagroo court fucked.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, it kind of sucks that everyone's focused on Knox when her ex-boyfriend is in the crosshairs.

Robos A Go Go on
    Yeah for his sake I hope he left Italy immediately, but I don't know if he did.

Also this is one of those weird instances where the european media went ape shit and people in europe think Knox is like Casey Anthony (or some people in europe I should say), its really weird because there is this believe Knox was a huge deal and I live in the state she's from and she wasn't a big story here even.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2013
    The European media's coverage of the case has mostly come from tabloids, right? The actual evidence should only be ambiguous to people who don't read real papers and don't really know how DNA works.

On the bright side, this'll be great for the sales of their books. Gotta pay off those legal fees somehow, right.

Robos A Go Go on
    If Italy was a just country they'd be paying for her legal fees, but as this shit proves that aint the case here. Though the West Memphis 3 shows that can happen in merica just as easily.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »

Also this is one of those weird instances where the european media went ape shit and people in europe think Knox is like Casey Anthony (or some people in europe I should say), its really weird because there is this believe Knox was a huge deal and I live in the state she's from and she wasn't a big story here even.

From what I understand, the victim's father has ties to the UK tabloid media.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

Well, it turns out that they didn't get yelled at, as the Italian Supreme Court vacated the acquittal.

There is one bit the piece gets wrong, though - Knox won't be facing a new trial, because there is no fucking way the US will extradite her.

She won't be there, but I think the prosecution has made it known they have no qualms with re-trying her in absentia.

waNkm4k.jpg?1

He should be going after the prosecutor who cut a deal with his daughters rapist and murderer to go after the innocent american. I mean this is like Ron Goldman waging a war on Kato, except dumber.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Lanz wrote: »

She won't be there, but I think the prosecution has made it known they have no qualms with re-trying her in absentia.

Yet another piece of evidence for the terribleness of the Italian judicial system.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Saw this today. Remembered to NEVER get in any trouble when visiting Italy.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Better yet, don't visit Italy at all until they get their legal system out of the dark ages.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht

He should be going after the prosecutor who cut a deal with his daughters rapist and murderer to go after the innocent american. I mean this is like Ron Goldman waging a war on Kato, except dumber.

The problem is to do that, it means that not only does he have to admit that she was innocent, but that he helped wage a smear campaign against her. It's much easier to pin his sins on her, instead.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular

Yet another piece of evidence for the terribleness of the Italian judicial system.
    Yeah, Italy's court system is pretty bad.

Didn't they send a bunch of seismologists to jail for not predicting an earthquake?
    Note: You cannot predict an earthquake.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Didn't they send a bunch of seismologists to jail for not predicting an earthquake?

Yup. They convicted them of manslaughter, somehow.

• saint2esaint2e Registered User regular

Well, you can't with THAT attitude.

Seriously though, I am not surprised at all. I'm eagerly waiting the next half-baked theory as to how/why they killed the roommate. Maybe this time it will be aliens told them to do it, and they'll get a prosecutor who has already served 25 years in jail for a murder he freely admits to doing. That's the only way this trial can top the last one.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    saint2e wrote: »

Seriously though, I am not surprised at all. I'm eagerly waiting the next half-baked theory as to how/why they killed the roommate. Maybe this time it will be aliens told them to do it, and they'll get a prosecutor who has already served 25 years in jail for a murder he freely admits to doing. That's the only way this trial can top the last one.

Oh come on.

What about having a psychic medium give expert testimony to having channeled the victim and positively identifying Amanda Knox as the murderer?

DarkPrimus wrote: »

Oh come on.

What about having a psychic medium give expert testimony to having channeled the victim and positively identifying Amanda Knox as the murderer?

Wait wait

Wait

Please. please tell me this is not a thing that happened.

Please tell me that this is something you made up for satire.

Please.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Nah, they'll just wave some article of Kercher's clothing while giving a speech about how awesome she was.

Later, Knox will be defeated at Phillippi.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Oh come on.

PW-Mia.jpg
    ?

7h8wnycre6vs.png

Oh come on.

Wait wait

Wait

Please.

As far as I can find on Google, there is a rumor that Mignini's theory of a Satanic ritual killing came from a conspiracy theorist-slash-psychic named Gabriella Carlizzi, but he never put her on the stand or anything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7883286.stm
    http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/Scadron.html

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Oh come on.

Wait wait

Wait

Please.

It is purely something I said to contradict the claim about "the only way" the trail could top the last one in ridiculousness.

Oh come on.

Wait wait

Wait

Please.

It is purely something I said to contradict the claim about "the only way" the trail could top the last one in ridiculousness.

thank you thank you

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Better yet, don't visit Italy at all until they get their legal system out of the dark ages.

Uh, it's Italy, so that's never going to happen, and aside from that, is a pretty sweet country to visit.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Huh? It was a huge story. It was huge when she was tried, again when she was acquitted, and it's already taking up significant airtime and column inches again now.

Not Casey Anthony huge, I guess, but big.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The third "WTF Italy" thing I heard about recently was a Judge officially ruling that mobile phones cause tumours.

That doesn't feel like a thing that should be decided by legal precedent rather than scientific analysis. Italy has problems.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Knox can just stay in the US and don't give a shit about the retrial right? I would assume there is no extradition to a country without a working legal system.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.