As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Arcade

1235»

• Options
    sandalwoodsandalwood Cartoonist New YorkRegistered User regular
    Geod wrote: »
    I missed out on the Tycho Zombie and Enforcer pin and will have to pick them up at some point.

Ditto, that would have been a great reward after so diligent a treasure hunt. I wonder how hard its going to be to get my hands on a Pax Australia pin... (Note to self, bulk up on Pax Prime pins to trade with an Aussie!)

• Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The Megaman pin isn't an official Pinny Arcade pin, but I had to have it anyways after I found out about it. My pin board doesn't discriminate between nerd pins.

• Options
    sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    @Riokenn what does the Megaman pin look like? I would have loved to have gotten one of those.

• Options
    As for the "Enforcer/staff" pin, I only found one Enforcer that was trading (and a LOT of very nice Enforcers who had pins, but were not trading). And he was out of pins when I found him. I ended up trading with a PA staff member. I would say it might be easier to find one of them (staff) to trade with, instead of trying to comb through all the Enforcers. Oh and I was told that only Enforcers who were doing "line entertainment" were the pin trading Enforcers (and, of course, not all of them). But YMMV.

• Options
    spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    sirmrej wrote: »
    As for the "Enforcer/staff" pin, I only found one Enforcer that was trading (and a LOT of very nice Enforcers who had pins, but were not trading). And he was out of pins when I found him. I ended up trading with a PA staff member. I would say it might be easier to find one of them (staff) to trade with, instead of trying to comb through all the Enforcers. Oh and I was told that only Enforcers who were doing "line entertainment" were the pin trading Enforcers (and, of course, not all of them). But YMMV.

That was my experience. I never saw an enforcer with the pin until Sunday where a super nice enforcer came up to me and said "Do you have the special staff pin yet?" I did have to tell her I did since I got mine from Khoo at the draw a strip panel.

• Options
    goldsaturngoldsaturn Registered User regular
    I heard from various enforcers that the enforcers with pins to trade were on "line entertainment" duty and that a lot of them would have lei's (flower necklaces). I checked the @paxlines twitter feed, saw that the main theatre line was pretty full at the time, and headed over there. Sure enough, there was an enforcer with a big sack of the pins I was looking for! One thing to note is that enforcers get a different kind of pin that looks a lot like the pinny arcade enforcer pin, but isn't. Many enforcers wear it on their lanyards. They called it a "Years of Service" pin.

Looks like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/fT990.jpg

Sorry to the enforcers I bugged while looking for the Pinny Arcade pin! It's really impressive to see someone with about a dozen years of service, especially since they've only had EAST for 4 years.

• Options
    Drowning RabbitDrowning Rabbit New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So I joked with my friends about the "Free to Play" version of Pinny Arcade this weekend. A bunch of my friends were grabbing as many of the free pins from everyone they could, gathering pins from the indie booths, and such. While I had ended up trying to play the Duels of the Planeswalkers on PC. I had to go 3 times to get a chance to play the PC version, and ended up with as many pins. What follows is recounting my experience with "Pinny Arcade" and isn't meant to be a boast or gloating, but rather what I found to be an interesting take on the "Game" of Pinny Arcade.

Our conversation lead me to bring up the discussion of being able to "Grind" for the aspects of Pinny Arcade that are "cash shop only." I ended up trading out a Chandra pin for the T. Kemper pin, which was the one pin I went in wanting to buy, but it was only available in a $30 set. I didn't have a spare $30 for one pin, so I ended up trading for it. Being left with the other 2 Chandra pins, I ended up bumping into Jerry on the Expo Hall floor and trading for the Tycho Zombie Pin. Later that day I saw a tweet from Mike that he was on the floor, and after about 5 minutes of looking, found him behind the Expo Hall merch booth, and acquiring the Cardboard Tube Samurai pin.

On Sunday, I had a dead period between panels where I ended up on the Expo Hall floor looking for new stuff. I ended up at the Astro booth, and popped over to play another game of DotP to try and beat Garruk at the end of the demo. Ended up with 2 more pins, after trying and failing to kill him in time, but I took those figuring I would keep one for myself and give the other to a buddy who also plays Magic.

Later while in line for the next panel, I ended up talking to a random guy in line. That gentlemen wanted the Chandra pin but didn't want to spend $20 on Magic products, or wait in line to play the game, so he ended up trading me the PAX East 2013 pin for one of them. Now I'm left with my last Chandra pin that I was planning on keeping.

Now at this point, it's Sunday at 5:45pm, I'm shuffling forward in the really huge line for the main theater on my way to the omegathon. As I turned one of the corners, there is an enforcer with a whiteboard reading: "I WANT TO TRADE PINS." I chuckle to myself as I walk forward about having one Chandra pin that I could trade if I had wanted, but I rather wanted to keep. Well, for context, at this point the Merch pin was long gone from the Merch booths, they ran out of them on Saturday morning. Low and behold, someone had traded a Merch pin to this pin trading enforcer. I figured, I won't be able to spend $90 on Penny Arcade Merch, so I traded off my last Chandra pin to her, and got the Merch pin, which I thought was a pretty cool pin. If not a little ironic in regards to the origin of Merch.

So in the end, I put in a lot of time, no extra money, and walked out with my set of the pins I liked most: Cardboard Tube Samurai, Zombie Tycho, T. Kemper (Love it so much!), PAX East 2013, and Merch.

Drowning Rabbit on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    The official Pinny Arcade pins are here.
    sirmrej wrote: »
    @Riokenn what does the Megaman pin look like? I would have loved to have gotten one of those.

d789088d40b5f514be77d90c6e9c6e3d.png?v=259800
    Like this; minus the awesome Jetpack Rush mode Megaman.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Thanks @Riokenn - that's a very cool Megaman pin. :)

• Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    I'm pin jonesing so hard. I had a ninja lined up, but I have no idea what she managed to get. I'm really hoping it was an East Set, but I think it may be the Core.

I can't wait for Prime!

• Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    I've got one East set to trade, the question now is whether I try for PAX Aus, or Prime with it.

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I'd say Aus because what are the chances of you running into someone that has another Aus set in the US. Where as multiple people go to Prime and East the same year.

EDIT: "Now because of the way pin trading works we actually got some of these pins traded back to us and those pins will be sold in blind boxes later on down the road at other shows."

My only regret is trading away the D20 Tycho pin. I really hope to score one in the blind boxes.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    I'm willing to bet that there will be a lot more companies providing official Pinny Arcade pins as swag now. Is it bad that may be my deciding factor to attend PAX Prime this year?

• Options
    I finally got a picture posted of my pins and framing. This is what I was talking about earlier by just framing a piece of cork board.

I have a lot more gaming related pins that will be added to the collection too.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Nice framing. I really need to get a nice frame set up for my pins.

Hopefully I can buddy up with someone who is going to Prime to pick me up the set from there. I think they should definitely keep the "find us and trade" pins at each convention. Like, all 2013 PAX have the CTS, Zombie Tycho, and official Pinny Arcade pins. 2014 should have a new set of "find us and trade" pins.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I spent 10 dollars at the Merch booth, but they had run out of The Merch pins :(

I got a 2nd pax cat though...I think I'm happy with that?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I spent 10 dollars at the Merch booth, but they had run out of The Merch pins :(

I got a 2nd pax cat though...I think I'm happy with that?

I assume you meant to say $90? $10 gets you not the Merch pin.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So gabe posted about the reactions to the pins at pax. As we probably all know by now they were a huge hit. From companies talking to them about having pinny arcade at other expos beyond pax, to including them in game preorders, they're going to be everywhere. I really have to convince myself that I won't be able to get all of them, its already wrecking my brain thinking about it.

There's an adequate wonderland quote that can go here but I'm not sure how it goes...

Something about rabbit holes, and not knowing how deep they go...

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    There's an adequate wonderland quote that can go here but I'm not sure how it goes...

Something about rabbit holes, and not knowing how deep they go...
    All the way down to the bottom of my wallet.

• Options
    aka Scratchaka Scratch Registered User new member
    someone gave me a cool pin while I was at PAX East this year. Turns out it was one of the Pinny Arcade ones. Wish I'd have known about it sooner and I would have tried to get more.

• Options
    Yea, sucks knowing we can't get them all for the most part. Ha. I need to find an AUS partner to trade with.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Yea, sucks knowing we can't get them all for the most part. Ha. I need to find an AUS partner to trade with.

Based on what Gabe's post said, unless you really get crazy with collecting you'll probably never get them all anyways, so no use fussing over it. :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    The way I sees it is to just get the ones you like. But if ones are simple to obtain (Such as the MTG pin) you should get it as a bargaining pin.

• Options
    For the moment 13 pins are easy enough to get, and as long as they release roughly that many per event I think it is possible to get most, and buy or trade for the ones you missed.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    :D

BGi99gCCQAAyJtB.jpg:large

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Okay show off. :shock: I saw Mike retweet that image. You going to make a frame for every set?

But I do I have a couple extra cardboard backings if you want them. I don't know if you want the LE Zombie Tycho and CTS Gabe carded or not, but I can send them to you if you'd like.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I guess I should feel pretty lucky to have a sealed Zombie Tycho pin :D

• Options
    I think I prefer them out like that. It shows that I actually tracked them down in the convention center and not the easy way of trading at the signing. ;)

I will more than likely frame future sets, but I don't know if I will frame complete sets or just ones I like.

And yea, I was pretty thrilled to see Mike and Kiko retweet it.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013

N/M

brettness37 on
  • Options
    might be a good idea to move this discussion to PAX general section, get people from all PAXes to talk about it

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    If someone wants to start a more large scale pinny arcade thread in the general section and will keep the OP maintained and up to date, go for it.

• Options

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    magicmotmagicmot Registered User new member
    Ok, So here is my question before I buy both sets of pins that are on the webstite.

My understanding is that I have to trade a pin to get a pin.
    By buying both sets at the store I will have 8 pins.
    I don't really care about 2 of them, but I want to keep the rest.
    This means that at best I can get 2 more pins to add to my collection when I attend PAX (If I find someone that wants the pins I don't)

So, if there are more than 2 pins that I want. (And there are. I want so many of them.)
    I need to buy multiple starter sets?

Or, will I be able to purchase pins at the Merch booths at lower prices?
    The sets are currently $30(plus shipping)
    Lets call that $8.5 each.

Those of you that have attended PAX before will be able to answer for me.
    If I go to the merch table will there be a selection of pins there as well that I can buy individually? (provided I get there early enough) and what kinds of prices were they?

I've been reading the Pin threads, and haven't seen an answer to this.

The whole concept is very interesting to me. I wasn't aware that pin trading was a phenomena in so many different places (Disney, Olympics) I plan on attending the next couple Pax East events, and will be moving to Portland after graduation so I'll be able to get in on the sweet sweet West Coast action.

• Options
    At East this year they only had the Starter and East sets. No singles/blind boxes. I can't comment on Aus or Prime, but I can only assume it is the same there.

To be honest, I am waiting for the Lookouts set. I only want to keep the logo and I am going to trade the rest away. I also have an extra Fleshreaper from a second set I bought to trade with and an extra Merch from being a PA fanboy.

But yea, right now you have to either buy the sets or track down the vendor pins and trade those for what you want. Or, you know, see what people have here on the forums and go from there.

Check out the main Pinny Arcade thread for more chatter.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    magicmotmagicmot Registered User new member
    Thank you redfield85

To be clear, I get the vendor pins by making purchases at their booths, correct?

Looks like the best bet is going to be buying multiple starter and Catsby sets so I have stuff to trade.

Now I'm off to the main Pinny Page.

• Options
    Vendor...maybe I meant exhibitor. If you go to the Wizards of the Coast booth you can usually get a pin for playing a demo. Other booths have that kind of set up too I think. It is all listed on the Pinny Arcade site.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah I'm going to just close this thread to avoid further confusion, especially now that gabe has tweeted the "official" thread.

This discussion has been closed.