As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo 3:Economics- It's not rocket science.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I want Blizzard to lower the gold floor, by increasing the stack size of gold you can list for .25. The tears will be amazing.

• Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    I already have HotS! Due to the initial euphoria of people being able to buy silly items for real monay. I should have screencapped the junk I moved back then. We could have all have a good laugh at it now.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    I want Blizzard to lower the gold floor, by increasing the stack size of gold you can list for .25. The tears will be amazing.

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY WHORE MOUTH

• Options
    And yeah, I used to run Mickey D's House of Garbage Rings and Amulets. And they'd sell! So awesome.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    So, whats the reasoning behind increasing monster power, aside from the game being kinda easy and increasing the difficulty could make it more fun.

It just seems like a bad deal to increase the monster health by more than your increase in exp.
    Why would anyone play a video game on the hardest level when you can just crank it down to the easiest level to beat it??

• Options
    Yeah, I'll admit sometimes I like cranking up the MP just so I don't feel invincible.

• Options
    MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    the duality of RMAH buyers
    RMAH_zps19defe1f.png

Duality you say?

Well the triangularity... er tripletedliness... er menage a troi-ity...

Anyway - 3.

Triple_zpsb9441ab9.png

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    you keep using that word, i don't think it means what you think it means

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    duality [djuːˈælɪtɪ]
    n pl -ties
    1. the state or quality of being two or in two parts

Admittedly I made up some words there... it is an interesting dichotomy.

Matz on
    2uenpg3.png

I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    aww, had to relist all my gold today :(

i guess it was a tuesday

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    I sold 20mil yesterday. It was so odd.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I had 5mil sell out of a 20mil block which I thought was odd.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When do persons get e-mail notifications of gold sales?

For all the stacks I have sold, I only received one e-mail for one transaction. Is there some dollar amount that prompts an e-mail, or something else?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I haven't got any for actual sales... I had one for 0 dollars the first time I listed gold.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Yeah I stopped getting email notifications for sales a long time ago.

• Options
    It seems to be fits and starts. Sometimes I get them and then it goes all quiet for a bit. Then it starts up again. Seems quite random.

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    Actually in the last 20 mins I have had two email notifications advising of two sales of 20M. I had about 4 stacks coming off around this time. I can't check because at work but seems like they do sometimes still send them. But didn't get any yesterday for sales.

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    I had stopped getting notifications a while back. I got one for a legit sale yesterday, and didn't get any for zero sales.

I'm assuming they're trying to fix the bug that sent emails for unsuccessful/canceled commodity sales.

• Options
    Dear Blizzard,

Please allow me to set my own end times for auctions, so that I can have auctions end at 5 p.m. without having to list them at 5 a.m.

Your pal,
    _J_

• Options
    Actually, no, because I'm up at 5am for work and this reduces competition.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    So, do you guys play the game anymore or just the various Auction Houses?

Gaming the system is all anyone talks about in this thread.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I play, gotta find drops to sell after all. :rotate:

I do just a run a day now though, want 1.8 so I can explore the other acts for a change of scenery.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    That's not true.....

We also post pictures of the items we sell on the AH.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    Yep. I still play the game. Nothing particularly new to talk about though in terms of gameplay from my perspective. I did hit PL 54 on my monk and my barb soloed another two sets of ubers without any deaths.

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Ok, I'll post something gameplay related and controversial.

Act 1 is a better place to farm than Act 3. You lose out of on monster density but you make up for it with a higher number of elite packs. You can hit the crypt/forgotten woods/leoric's manor and be certain of getting at least of 6 elite packs. This is a minimum and I usually encounter 8-9 when I start my run in that location. These are easy elite packs as well since the act 1 mobs lack the "screw you" abilities of the mobs from the later acts. There's no snakes, goat shaman, or sucubus packs (I hate snakes so much when doing act 2 key runs). As a consequence, you can safely farm act 1 on a higher MP than act 2/3/4. I expect it's not as efficient as act 3 in xp/hr but you get more shots at elites and the items they drop.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    Matz wrote: »
    Yep. I still play the game. Nothing particularly new to talk about though in terms of gameplay from my perspective. I did hit PL 54 on my monk and my barb soloed another two sets of ubers without any deaths.

Yeah, I'm leveling up my first Wizard, just cleared Normal and hit like level 37. And I've moved over to my Monk for playing L60+, instead of my Demon Hunter, because it's fun for a change...but that means Purrgon 15 instead of Purrgon like 40. Which is sad.

But I mean clicking on demons until you get bored doesn't leave a lot to talk about. The builds are largely settled, and until the next content update there just isn't much going on. *shrug*

• Options
    Korror wrote: »

Act 1 is a better place to farm than Act 3. You lose out of on monster density but you make up for it with a higher number of elite packs. You can hit the crypt/forgotten woods/leoric's manor and be certain of getting at least of 6 elite packs. This is a minimum and I usually encounter 8-9 when I start my run in that location. These are easy elite packs as well since the act 1 mobs lack the "screw you" abilities of the mobs from the later acts. There's no snakes, goat shaman, or sucubus packs (I hate snakes so much when doing act 2 key runs). As a consequence, you can safely farm act 1 on a higher MP than act 2/3/4. I expect it's not as efficient as act 3 in xp/hr but you get more shots at elites and the items they drop.

Eh you get 5 elites in Keeps 2 most times and 10+ if you clear all three keeps levels.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah - I doubt that's right. Act 3 in my experience is still way better for both xp/hr and elite packs.

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

Yeah, I'm leveling up my first Wizard, just cleared Normal and hit like level 37. And I've moved over to my Monk for playing L60+, instead of my Demon Hunter, because it's fun for a change...but that means Purrgon 15 instead of Purrgon like 40. Which is sad.

But I mean clicking on demons until you get bored doesn't leave a lot to talk about. The builds are largely settled, and until the next content update there just isn't much going on. *shrug*

Yeah. There isn't anything particularly new. Would be interested in seeing a post of some particulary awesome drop or craft but usually its just rubbish after more rubbish... Plus I already levelled all the classes to 60 a while back. Only levelling I do now is in HC.

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    I'm actually working on some crafted gloves for my barb. Not sure how many times but easily more than 75 crafts (I did 40 gloves the other night). Have been really, really close (have about 5 or 6 awesome items - ie 8% crit, 9% attack speed, or 7.5% crit + 46% crit damage along with the usuals). I just want that great trifecta...

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Act 1 is a better place to farm than Act 3.

This is true in HC. I go Festering Woods > Leoric's Manor > Fields of Misery (Keywarden) > Halls of Agony 2 > Cursed Hold (Warden) > Halls of Agony 3 (Butcher). I want to incorporate the Weeping Hollow, since it's a small area and always has elites, but I don't like the trek to cross town.

It's actually easier to farm gold in HC than in SC. Tomes go for 20k a piece right now and I can usually find more than a dozen each run. Coupled that with salvaging yellows and blues and I can make a million in a few runs. I don't even craft anymore, since I can use the gold to buy the gear instead of wasting it on gambles.

Gems are ridiculously expensive now. Like, Radiant Squares are worth 600k, which is about the same amount as Stars in SC.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    nevermind

Matz on
    2uenpg3.png

• Options
    My DPS is 30k and I can kill the Butcher in less than half a minute.

Funny enough, on MP1, it takes three times as long.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    MP1 is a big jump in Act 1 though. Not just the power but the level too (I think).

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    I just got all nostalgic for the days where you did Jailer/Butcher runs to prep for getting into Act 2. Haven't farmed that area in forever. The monster density balancing will be nice.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    A radiant square costs 9 flawless squares, 15 tomes (3+3+3+6) and 140k gold (30+30+30+50) to craft. The 15 tomes are worth 300k total because of the lucrative crafting business I imagine. It's insanity.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I just got all nostalgic for the days where you did Jailer/Butcher runs to prep for getting into Act 2. Haven't farmed that area in forever. The monster density balancing will be nice.

I remember battling my ass off in the old days just to get through Act 2 and 3 on my DH (and only doing that with help). And then getting promptly pounded by Iskatu.

Now though I am almost wishing they bring back invulnerable minions!

2uenpg3.png

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Derrick wrote: »

I do not play the game-game very much anymore.

1) It's not profitable: The odds of getting a legendary / rare that will sell for TeXa$ are incredibly low. This is good from a game balance perspective, but incredibly shitty from a player's economic perspective. It's gotten to the point where legendary drops do nothing for me other than prompt the anticipation of disappointment.

2) It's not fun: Clearing my Act 3 run over and over and over and over and over to grind XP is neither fun nor interesting. I enjoy mindless grinds, but there are different kinds. For me, running Act 3 in D3 is less compelling than fishing in WoW.

3) I'm still pissed that it isn't D2: What was nice about D2 was that you could spend hours farming mephisto / baal / pindle, or you could hop on to quickly farm a boss a few times. D3 doesn't have that 'quick farm' option. If I sit down to play I anticipate the grind to get five stacks, then the seemingly required utilization of those five stacks, then the ending identification phase that results in disappointment, vendoring, and starting over.

4) There's no need to level: Once one hits a particular gear threshold there are diminishing returns for any improvements. I do not get much out of increasing my MP level, so there is little need to increase my dps / survivability. Combine that with the economic concerns, and in most cases it is difficult to mentally justify purchasing an upgrade as opposed to selling the gold. I could spend about $10 worth of gold to increase my farming by an MP level, but why bother?

5) Playing reminds me of how shitty the game is: After I play for about an hour I find myself to be very irritated. Part of that is the disappointment from having built this game up, in my mind, for years prior to release. This was supposed to be like D2 but awesomer. I poured months of /played time into D2 and enjoyed every minute. So I expected D3 to be that same sort of thing. But it's just...not. Playing the game for any extended period of time just reinforces how god damned terrible it is, so I end up getting frustrated at its inadequacies, check my auctions, and then log out.

Now I'm irritated again.

God damn Jay Wilson.

Edit: Oh, I forgot the biggest one.

6) There is no fucking meta game. One of the primary joys of D2 was the meta game: Reading websites, looking at builds, exploiting farming tricks. That's what is fun: Take a system, learn it, exploit it. That was one of the best parts of D2. But in D3 there is no meta game. The classes and skills are bland, in the sense that they lack any exploitable tricks, and the farming meta is incredibly simple and obvious to most players. They removed the MF metagame. They took out the treasure goblin exploits. Right now the only meta game to be played is gem / gold flipping, and that game is on a 36 hour timer....which basically turns D3 into one of those Facebook games that can only be played once a day while you wait for resources to generate.

Fuck Jay Wilson.

_J_ on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    MP1 is a big jump in Act 1 though. Not just the power but the level too (I think).

Inferno Act 1 MP0 has level 61 monsters, MP1 makes all monsters everywhere in inferno level 63 before applying the MP bonuses. So the Butcher gets a 2 level boost in addition to the MP1 modifiers.

(Act 2 has level 62 Monsters that get the boost to level 63)

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

They took out the treasure goblin exploits.
    surprised this wasn't a 20 pt. bolded header for your post

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*