As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BIOSHOCK INFINITE] Experience digital jingoism March 26th.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Looking at the timeline/ending spoilers

Why is Comstock so old? Shouldn't he be the same age as Booker? I hadn't even thought about that.
    Anna looks to be at least 17? ish years old. And when she was stolen Comstock (booker) already had the big old beard. Life expectancy was much lower for those born in the mid 1800s so it makes sense that he would be old. So the primary events of the game when Booker sets foot in Columbia happen in 1910 I believe or so. That means Comstock would be 40+
    Is that Birthdate even correct? 1874. Booker was 16 at Wounded Knee? 1912 would make Booker/Comstock 38. Booker looks age appropriate, but Comstock looks very very old.

The thing is.
    The booker that sets foot in Columbia isn't 1912 Booker. It is 1893 Booker + a few months or so.

Well dangit... that makes less sense.
    There's no way that the Booker you're playing as is 19

It does when you take into account the
    life span for white males during that timeframe.
    Regardless of life expectancy his maturity and the age of his voice doesn't sound anything that young. I'm not sure of the accuracy of our Booker being from the past brought to 1912. He seems to have more history than that.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I just looked up life expectancy for someone born in the 1890s. It is around 50 years old for a white male.

50s is sort of true, but remember a ton of what's bringing down the averages there are diseases in childhood, stuff like that. Especially out west. So if you survive healthy into your 20s chances are pretty good of going past that.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Hmm it is something that just never really bothered me I guess. Living in an era of child labor, war and like means a hard life. It is well documented today that such a life will age an individual inside and out faster.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I just got to the first sidequest and went online to find out if I need to go back or forward to find the lock and some little idiot completely spoiled the ending of the game in a thread about the first sidequest.

I really really fucking hate people.

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Ho-lee poo!

endgame spoilers
    It just hit me... the only way Booker is allowed access into Columbia is via baptism. The only way Comstock/Columbia even come into existance is if Booker accepts the baptism way earlier in his life... foreshadowing!

Also, still processing the ending, I just realized that Comstock and Booker both die by drowning

Also -

ENDING SPOILERS
    I'm not sure if it's same priest but in replaying the game now I noticed that the one that drowns you when you enter Columbia is blind, which would make it hard for him to recognize Booker, assuming he is indeed the same one. It's reasonable to assume Comstock is forcing everyone to go through the same baptism he went through in order to assert his power over them, and that he would use the same priest as it is likely he who helped him discover his faith and as such he is an important figure to Comstock.

And Songbird also dies by drowning, which made me really, really sad. Seriously I can't stress enough how much that moment made me sad.
    it is the same priest

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I just got to the first sidequest and went online to find out if I need to go back or forward to find the lock and some little idiot completely spoiled the ending of the game in a thread about the first sidequest.

D:

Completely? Like, how much do you know?

That really fuckin' blows, dude...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    On Booker's age:
    I thought the Letuece's took Booker right after he gave up Anna. Robert said something about his brain trying to create memories where none exist when they brought him to 1912 (he also says "I should know, I lived through it. Further confirming he was ripped from another universe.) Booker is about 20. Comstock around 30, but aged advanced because of the dimensional travel. Booker is only 16 during Wounded Knee, because around that time it probably wouldn't be uncommon for someone that age to fight in the military. I don't have a problem believing the Booker we played was around 20.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    SuperRuper wrote: »
    On Booker's age:
    I thought the Letuece's took Booker right after he gave up Anna. Robert said something about his brain trying to create memories where none exist when they brought him to 1912 (he also says "I should know, I lived through it. Further confirming he was ripped from another universe.) Booker is about 20. Comstock around 30, but aged advanced because of the dimensional travel. Booker is only 16 during Wounded Knee, because around that time it probably wouldn't be uncommon for someone that age to fight in the military. I don't have a problem believing the Booker we played was around 20.
    I think Booker is actually the same age as Comstock. Elizabeth even says it in the end, that Booker spent 20 years filled with regret and alcohol in that room.

No I don't.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    RyqdC5C.jpg

Stabbity_Style.png
    Hmm I don't remember that. When did she say that?

Hmm I don't remember that. When did she say that?

No I don't.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Looking at the timeline/ending spoilers

Why is Comstock so old? Shouldn't he be the same age as Booker? I hadn't even thought about that.
    Comstock gets Anna from when he is younger. It's not just a different timeline, but a different part of the timeline.

Also, that video from 2010 has oldtimey Everybody Wants to Rule the World

On Booker's age:
    I think Booker is actually the same age as Comstock. Elizabeth even says it in the end, that Booker spent 20 years filled with regret and alcohol in that room.

So that's what she said! I couldn't quite hear her when she said that line. Ok well that makes sense too.

steam_sig.png
    Sweet that puts an end to that discussion :). I will have to rewatch the ending I suppose. It was around 1am when I beat the game so I might not have been too conscious.

Sorry, if this has been covered. Trying to wrap my head around too much stuff, maybe

ENDING SPOILERS
    Anna is only born in realities after the baptism where Booker decided not to go through with it, right?

I love games like this one! Where the plot points promote very heavy discussion :D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited March 2013
    Sorry, if this has been covered. Trying to wrap my head around too much stuff, maybe

ENDING SPOILERS
    Anna is only born in realities after the baptism where Booker decided not to go through with it, right?

I love games like this one! Where the plot points promote very heavy discussion :D

Well there are a lot of kneckbearding going on about that subject. To me:
    It just doesn't make sense for Anna to be born prior to the Baptism. Why would Comstock need an heir if she was born prior? To me this is blatantly obvious.

Jubal77 on

ENDING SPOILERS

Well there are a lot of kneckbearding going on about that subject. To me:
    It just doesn't make sense for Anna to be born prior to the Baptism. Why would Comstock need an heir if she was born prior? To me this is blatantly obvious.

Ok, I thought so too. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

D:

Come to think of it I never found that. Where do I go?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »

D:

The key is in the crow house place. The chest it goes to is in an apartment a little ways back. There should be a dude in there who says "Wait, I'm not like them! I'm a Progressive!" The chest in in a child's bedroom

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    On Booker's age:

So that's what she said! I couldn't quite hear her when she said that line. Ok well that makes sense too.

ENDING SPOILER
    Eh. Comstock is elderly. He was probably 20 older than Booker when he picked Anna up. That would have given him time to setup the city. Then another 20 years pass before Booker shows up at the city.

Krathoon on
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    Could you guys tell mehow much of the game I've already completed?

I'm currently where you
    free Elisabeth and fall down to the beach.

steam_sig.png
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    You're still in the first third of the game.

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    this blew my mind when I watched my roommate die a few times (WARNING ENDING SPOILERS):
    sometimes when you die you come back through your "office" door. I never saw this as I died only once in the game, but my interpretation of it is that each time you die a new Booker is plucked from his universe and does everything you've done up to the point where you died.

that's why the Luteces have so many chalk marks on their sign at the beginning; many previous Booker attempts failed and they're still trying

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Happened to me Pink, before I even got the game. Its still a really fun ride getting there though, trust me.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    MrDelish wrote: »
    this blew my mind when I watched my roommate die a few times (WARNING ENDING SPOILERS):
    sometimes when you die you come back through your "office" door. I never saw this as I died only once in the game, but my interpretation of it is that each time you die a new Booker is plucked from his universe and does everything you've done up to the point where you died.

that's why the Luteces have so many chalk marks on their sign at the beginning; many previous Booker attempts failed and they're still trying

Shit, you may be right. That's... kind of horrible.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

I guess there's no reason for them to ask people besides Booker to pick heads or tails so those marks had to come from somewhere. Shiiiiiiiiit.

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    This game is so great. I'm roaming around Finkston or whatever it's called now.

Think I might have some ideas about future shocking reveals, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and end up truly surprised.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Just started my replay this morning. Catching details I'd missed or forgotten first time around.

So far the highlight of the opening area for me is the guy in the fair (just to the right of the ticket vendor robot) who when you pass by says "Hey there sailor, what port do you hail from? Any port in a storm, am I right?"

In my head I'm just like... oh you poor bastard, you're a gay dude in Columbia aren't you? I wasn't really expecting or demanding the topic to be handled in Infinite, when race was really the big social issue at the time, but it was clearly a nod to the fact that it existed in this society. That made me smile.

So I did see the Vigor tutorial this time through, but I can see how I missed it as I thought it just meant Q was the button for switching between them. And it pops up the "Be sure to use your Vigors! thing a lot.

Also, while the Vigors thing is a minor design flaw, the Melee Kill tutorial is a flat out bug. If you are going to pop up a text box for me to read that explains how to do Kill animations on enemies, don't make it dismissible with the same button I was just spamming to kill the enemy in question.

Ending Spoilers:
    Seriously, this will spoil some shit:
    On Booker and Comstock:
    So had I bothered to make a note of it, Booker's box from the start of the game says Wounded Knee on it, and shortly into Columbia you see the parade where they talk about the Prophet being at Wounded Knee. The museum is another instance of things I should have picked up on, once I realized both Booker and Comstock had been there.

In addition, there's a Comstock log in Emporia where he talks about scalping, which Slate specifically mentions as something Booker did, and I just assumed that multiple people were guilty of it.

On the source of the Prophet's visions:
    One of the audiologs mentions the difference between a Lutece Field and a Lutece Tear being that the field was just a visual or audio connection, and things couldn't pass through. I assume this is what the prophet used to 'divine the future', and further funding from him is what allowed Lutece to develop the way to open the tear.

On the final baptism:
    I agree with the opinion that while our Elizabeth is the last one standing as the realities are erased, she stops existing the instant the screen goes black, as hers is also removed.

But why doesn't this cause a paradox?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Krathoon wrote: »
    On Booker's age:

ENDING SPOILER
    Eh. Comstock is elderly. He was probably 20 older than Booker when he picked Anna up. That would have given him time to setup the city. Then another 20 years pass before Booker shows up at the city.
    Erm....no? Columbia was founded in 1893 the same year that "The lamb was born unto the prophet". Three years after Wounded Knee. The story happens in 1912. They were both born in 1874. They are both the same age.

steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    On Booker's age:

ENDING SPOILER
    Comstock takes Anna from a younger Booker. Booker isn't exactly young, but he isn't nearly as old as Comstock.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    On Booker's age:

ENDING SPOILER
    Comstock takes Anna from a younger Booker. Booker isn't exactly young, but he isn't nearly as old as Comstock.
    That's not what's insinuated by the game. Anna was born around the time Columbia was founded, which was 3 years after wounded knee. Anna is around 20 in the game, and around 20 years pass between the time Booker gives her up and when he arrives in Columbia.

The narrative reason behind Comstock seeming so much older than Booker is the tears and the quantum fields. It's also the reason he has cancer. Columbia aged Comstock faster than Booker, but Booker is no younger than Comstock.

No I don't.
    On Booker's age:

ENDING SPOILER
    I thought technically they're the same age. The way I understand it:

Booker A (our Booker) is born 1874. Wounded Knee 1890. (Baptism event happens here). Anna is born 1893ish. 20 years in despair. Letuece Twins come get Booker 1912.

Booker B (Comstock) is born 1874. Wounded Knee 1890. (Booker becomes Comstock). Columbia is founded. Comstock steals buys Anna from Booker A to continue his bloodline, (The lamb is born unto the prophet)1893. Locks her in a tower because of her powers for 20 years. The Leteuce Twins get killed and grab Booker A. Booker A arrives in 1912.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2013
    Sad Panda!

They finally added the "optimized" settings for this game to Geforce Experience. I have had a great experience with it so far but the settings that it tells me to play Infinite at are the lowest settings! :( It makes me wonder. I used the Benchmarking tool to pick a baseline setting that gave me a decent 30+fps clip but the lowest settings! I did experience some stuttering at places but a quick reload of the game usually fixed it.

Jubal77 on
    edited March 2013

D:

The key is in the crow house place. The chest it goes to is in an apartment a little ways back. There should be a dude in there who says "Wait, I'm not like them! I'm a Progressive!" The chest in in a child's bedroom

Uh oh. I just killed and Skyhooked my way to Monument Island. Am I supposed to backtrack after finding the key? Can I still get it?

This is the third time I've missed this sidequest so I'm willing to start over one last time. I wish this game had cues to let you know you were going to permanently miss a quest.

Cantido on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    On Booker's age:

ENDING SPOILER
    I thought technically they're the same age. The way I understand it:

Booker A (our Booker) is born 1874. Wounded Knee 1890. (Baptism event happens here). Anna is born 1893ish. 20 years in despair. Letuece Twins come get Booker 1912.

Booker B (Comstock) is born 1874. Wounded Knee 1890. (Booker becomes Comstock). Columbia is founded. Comstock steals buys Anna from Booker A to continue his bloodline, (The lamb is born unto the prophet)1893. Locks her in a tower because of her powers for 20 years. The Leteuce Twins get killed and grab Booker A. Booker A arrives in 1912.

You pretty much nailed it exactly.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    The more I think about the game, the more awesome the whole story gets. I can't wait to play through it again knowing the things I know now. I was going to sink a lot of time into Terraria this weekend, but eff that noise.
    I'm currently replaying it, and I'm really enjoying the little tidbits I'm hearing that now make perfect sense, with hindsight.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Uh oh. I just killed and Skyhooked my way to Monument Island. Am I supposed to backtrack after finding the key? Can I still get it?

This is the third time I've missed this sidequest so I'm willing to start over one last time. I wish this game had cues to let you know you were going to permanently miss a quest.

Yeah you're past the point of return now. Best bet is to load the chapter from the main menu and start from there.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Ho-lee poo!

endgame spoilers
    It just hit me... the only way Booker is allowed access into Columbia is via baptism. The only way Comstock/Columbia even come into existance is if Booker accepts the baptism way earlier in his life... foreshadowing!

Also, still processing the ending, I just realized that Comstock and Booker both die by drowning

Also -

ENDING SPOILERS
    I'm not sure if it's same priest but in replaying the game now I noticed that the one that drowns you when you enter Columbia is blind, which would make it hard for him to recognize Booker, assuming he is indeed the same one. It's reasonable to assume Comstock is forcing everyone to go through the same baptism he went through in order to assert his power over them, and that he would use the same priest as it is likely he who helped him discover his faith and as such he is an important figure to Comstock.

And Songbird also dies by drowning, which made me really, really sad. Seriously I can't stress enough how much that moment made me sad.
    it is the same priest
    "The path of Forgiveness is the only way to the City" -sign above the priest

not into, to. I love this game

MuddBudd wrote: »

Yeah you're past the point of return now. Best bet is to load the chapter from the main menu and start from there.

Oooh. You just saved me like an hour.

I hope there are Youtubes of these fucking quests. They are kinda "out there." I think I only completed two.

D:

I dont think you can go back. I'd happened upob the chest first, so i just immediately went back once i found the key.

This discussion has been closed.