As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Trion really has done a wonderful job with Rift, and Rift's launch was incredibly phenomenally smooth for an MMO.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Either they are fudging the numbers, or people are getting REALLY interested.

It might not be 'fudging' so much as the second and third rewards requiring fewer orders. Like tier 1 is 1,000 pre-orders, tier 2 250, tier 3 125 (numbers pulled fresh from my ass). They could've scaled 2 and 3 down recently, or maybe it was always that way. I've never seen anything that implied these pre-order bonus tiers were setup to require the same number each time.

• ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Defiance has also been climbing up the bestsellers list in steam as well. I doubt there's fudgery afoot.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I never played Rift either (though now I might for a bit as I'll get it on Steam with Defiance) but at least post-launch it seems Rift was supported and had a lot of content added to it. Trion seems to run MMOs well.

Ah, not exactly. You'll get the EXPANSION.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ...which, on Steam, includes the base game.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Arthil wrote: »
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I never played Rift either (though now I might for a bit as I'll get it on Steam with Defiance) but at least post-launch it seems Rift was supported and had a lot of content added to it. Trion seems to run MMOs well.

Ah, not exactly. You'll get the EXPANSION.

Clicking on the link itself on Steam's Defiance store page brings me to the Bundle page. I doubt they'd give just the expansion, especially because with Steam DLC you must own the original game to own the DLC (which the expansion is labeled as).

If not, Rift by itself is only $10. Or I could trade it away for something.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Huh, I didn't bother to check that it. Didn't know they even had a bundle for it!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Just bit the bullet on this and pre-ordered it on Steam as it comes out on my birthday and I've got two weeks off. I don't really know anything about the game other than it's by the people who made Rift and it ties into the SyFy channel thing. Is there a decent site with information about classes/abilities? Also is there going to be any kind of PA EU presence so we can join up?

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Theres no real classes. You pick a class in the beginning but its mostly just clothing and starting weapon. The ability choices are what really seperate you from other players, and I think you can rechoose them eventually for a price.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    And you can unlock them all given enough time anyway.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    TPSou wrote: »
    Just bit the bullet on this and pre-ordered it on Steam as it comes out on my birthday and I've got two weeks off. I don't really know anything about the game other than it's by the people who made Rift and it ties into the SyFy channel thing. Is there a decent site with information about classes/abilities? Also is there going to be any kind of PA EU presence so we can join up?

Useful fan sites seem hard to come by, but there's plenty of info floating around here and there. I'll just type some general information.

Class selection is effectively cosmetic bar a few weapons that have "synergies" with them. What exactly that means is still up in the air. What happens is you start out and select one of four backgrounds, and off you go into the wide scary world.

Once in the wide scary world, you get to make a choice!

There are four major powers in this game to choose from. You can pick one to start, and branch out from there. Some people will get the alternate powers relatively quickly, others will focus on raising the perks between them.

Decoy: Generates a little hologram of yourself that runs in a forward direction drawing fire. You can hit this power again to teleport to your decoy's location

Overcharge: Instantly reloads your equipped weapon and grants you a damage boost.

Blur: Increases your speed, makes after images like the Flash, and lets you deal full damage to shields with your melee attack.

Cloak: Predator time! Cloaks you from view while you're not firing or taking damage, and will actually reapply itself if the duration is active and you break cloak but stop firing.

Each power has various perks around it that benefit the power, or your character in more general terms. You can only equip so many perks at once.

You can see the Power/Perk selection grid here: http://defiance-central.com/ego-calculator/

Umnumnum. What else?

Oh! You can use two weapons at any given time, but can swap between load outs or weapons in your inventory on the fly. Early on weapons with modification slots are rare, but that picks up and after a while you'll get to customize your weapons at will by purchasing mods. Monsters don't really level up in general, so you can keep a favorite weapon for a long time. Worst case, you'll have an awesome gun with no mod slots. For a fee, you can actually add slots.

Weapon variety is varied! There are many types of rifle, light machine gun, shotgun, pistol, grenade launcher, rocket launcher, headcrab cancer gun and medigun to choose from. They handle differently and can come with special modifiers to their stats apart from raw damage.

Vehicles of different description replace traditional horsey mounts, and they're a lot of fun to drive around because the terrain is all knobbly and full of jumps. Zoom!

Health regenerates slowly and is guarded by shields, which are equipped as items and recharge when not being shot at. All shields have stats, too, so they perform differently. Grenades operate similarly. You equip a grenade type, and after being thrown once, it will recharge.

Physical equipment, like your class choice, is again largely cosmetic. You select outfits and hats of your choice, and off you go. There are a lot of outfits.

Quests are both cinematic and "click the dialogue button," whether they be story or side quests. There are no dialogue options.

There are instances, both pve and pvp, which you can queue for from the ui. There is also a special over world pvp mode, where a bunch of people sign up to fight each other for control points.

Is there anything more you'd like to know specifically?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Did anyone have a chance to test Overcharge with a healing weapon or a weapon with a Siphon weapon modifier? I'd be interested to know if it treats healing weapons the same as damage. Normally I'd google it, but I'm firewall'd here at work.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So, this pre-order tracker you guys keep looking at. Is that something that's just Steam-specific? Why wouldn't everyone just buy from Greenmangames which is significantly cheaper?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, this pre-order tracker you guys keep looking at. Is that something that's just Steam-specific? Why wouldn't everyone just buy from Greenmangames which is significantly cheaper?

Yes, the tracker is specific to (ie limited to) the preorders made on Steam. As far as "Why wouldn't you use GMG"... That answer is both tangible and psychological.

Tangible: Last I looked the DDE on GMG didn't have the 30 day XP/Scrip bonus whereas Steam does. Although this could be a typo/omission on GMG's part.
    Psychological: Some people are crazy for Steam and want the majority of their games on their. Even if they cost a little more at launch, as well as even if they just open a launcher.

With that said, while I am a fairly large Steam fanboy (and preordered from there) I still get a lot of my games from GMG, Gamersgate, and occasionally Origin. The rewards/boosts/potential saving on the SP is what drove me to Steam in this case.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I purchase almost anything thats not-steamworks on steam so I can have it all easily found. I tend to forget about things if they're not in the steam list. If its steam-works ill pick it up on GMG or something cheaper and just have it load into steam that way. You get so much from the steam-preorder extras that its really negligible on the price. Like $15 more, but you get more bonuses. Also a lot of my friends end up gifting each other games, thats how I got the base game of Defiance on steam, then sold something on the community market to afford the upgrade.

in other words. I <3 Steam.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    I'd like to know how ammo is handled in the game. I've seen videos and it appears you can get ammo as drops, but is that enough to keep you shooting or can you run out? And what happens then?

Can you buy ammo from shops?

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'd like to know how ammo is handled in the game. I've seen videos and it appears you can get ammo as drops, but is that enough to keep you shooting or can you run out? And what happens then?

Can you buy ammo from shops?

There are boxes on the ground in a lot of places including rez points.

You go up to one, hold E or your equivalent action button, and receive full ammo restocks for free for the guns you currently have equipped.

Vendors sell guns, mods and tier crates with random goodies inside.

488W936.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    If you run out of ammo for both guns which really only happens rarely during long Arkfall events, then you either go and seek out a crate of ammo, which some arkfalls occur far from to their detriment, or you melee something to death until it spits ammo out.

488W936.png
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Or you have a healing gun which never runs out of ammo.

But yeah, ammo problems were only encountered during Arkfalls and some of them had ammo right up the hill from it.

That's good to hear. :)

Still on the fence. Wish I knew about the beta weekend so I could see if I could play this for any length of time.

What's the range like on mediguns? Do you have to be close to your teammate or can you heal from a good distance?

Along the same line, I read on the official forum's stickyed FAQ post that all the loot drops you see on the ground are yours and can't be ninja'd from you in the heat of battle. First off, thank 'effing god... and second does this include ammo. I would assume so.

From what I saw on the Beta Weekend, drops seem to be universal to a degree. I was racing around grabbing ammo and scrip that other people seemed to see and grab too, which wasn't my own.

That seems to carry over to items too. I did a mini-boss quest thing with a couple other folks in the area. We weren't grouped up but when the "guy with a large health bar" died, he dropped an item and all three of us went over and picked it up. They might have gotten something different but something did drop for all of us in the same spot.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    The range on the heal gun can vary a bit, one gun arcs between players that are close by and another loses that arc to increase the range! But it is a solid range, I'd say at the end of light and beginning of medium in terms of how far you can be.

Also, everyone gets their own drops is what I understood. I suppose it is possible when something does drop in a group setting (arkfall etc.) it could show up in the same place for multiple people? But I know in dungeons everyone gets their own stuff.

Ahh, then thats something I'd like to test. From what you describe it sounds like enemies essentially have a basic flag of "Drop something for everyone who participated in my death: Y/N". When yes, it throws something on the ground for everyone, in the same spot geographically, but maybe (probably) not the same thing. Interesting.

Decoy wrote: »
    Ahh, then thats something I'd like to test. From what you describe it sounds like enemies essentially have a basic flag of "Drop something for everyone who participated in my death: Y/N". When yes, it throws something on the ground for everyone, in the same spot geographically, but maybe (probably) not the same thing. Interesting.

That seemed to be the case from what I saw, which is nice. Not being grouped up, but still everyone is getting their own loot and helping out.

Sob24Nm.png
    Retaba wrote: »
    The range on the heal gun can vary a bit, one gun arcs between players that are close by and another loses that arc to increase the range! But it is a solid range, I'd say at the end of light and beginning of medium in terms of how far you can be.

Do players have to be in a group for the arcing medigun to make the jumps? Or does it simply check if a friendly player is nearby and jumps that way?

Don't have to be in a group, I used that gun during Arkfall event and it would just jump to whoever was close to who you pointed it at.

I think Trion has really made an effort in making the game co-op friendly, even without being grouped up.

I know I had a great moment during Beta, there was this partially destroyed three story building which had some objective in it. The last console to disable/item to pick up was on the roof, which led to me and about 3-4 other people being on the roof. Just as the last objective finished (which only had to be completed by one of us and it counted for all of us), enemies spawned in the courtyard, rappelling from helicopters into the courtyard. It must have been just after a quest that gave a Sniper Rifle as a reward as most of us lined up on the roof, crouched down behind some of the cover and sniped all of the enemies from the roof before making our way down.

It was a cool moment.

Sob24Nm.png
    Yeah, cool moments like that are why I enjoyed APB far more than I probably should have. When a game can organically create (as in NOT scripted to a 'T') those cool moments, they are doing something right.

Basically, heres a set-piece, heres some enemies, heres an objective and here some kickass tools to play with... GO!

Yes, please.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I only played the beta for a few hours and was very impressed with how it handled quest completion for multiple, ungrouped, people.

So I figured I might as well enter the codes even if I'm on the fence on getting the game.

I got all the way up to 60 before the page stopped responding. Now I can't even log in.

Anyone else having the same issue?

It's been doing that every now and then since I started feeding it codes. Just give it an hour or so.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It did that to me at 117 codes or so, drove me nuts. I just finished the next day.

Freaked me out because at one point it displayed 0 codes. I think that particular server just gets slammed periodically.

What is this I don't even.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It still hasn't updated to show my last two rewards unlocking, but it shows as my having 120 codes, so I'm not too worried.

Mine still shows locks on the rewards, even though I've entered my 120. /shrug

edited March 2013
    Reward 3 at 54%. Yeah, we got this.

Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Reward 3 at 54%. Yeah, we got this.

And at 100% the burning question arises of "How consumer whore-ish am I?"...

Discounted Season Pass, I'm looking at you...

edited March 2013
    Just started watching this - LevelCap makes solid videos.

edit: ...though he's normally not this clueless. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME6123fmqb8

Echo on
  • Undead_BeansUndead_Beans Community Relations Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'm still firmly on the fence as to what platform to buy Defiance for (PC or PS3). I know that there's a lot of PC love, and I definitely share that sentiment, but I really like the idea of rocking the sticks with my PSN folks. Hmmmmm......

Echo wrote: »
    Just started watching this - LevelCap makes solid videos.

edit: ...though he's normally not this clueless. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME6123fmqb8

This video made me dizzy. Not looking good for purposes of my getting it.