As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Bisexuals over 30 without smartphones are doomed. DOOOOOOMED!

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Back when I still had a profile, I used to get visiting women from as far away as the Philippines. It was... odd.

I always assume it's something skeevy.

Oh, hey lady from Thailand. I'm sure you're on the level.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Every time I bump into a profile of an amazing (for me) woman that lives 800+ miles away I just want to kill myself.

• Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Back when I still had a profile, I used to get visiting women from as far away as the Philippines. It was... odd.
    Other than a few nearby Americans, all the foreign visits to my profile are women from the Philippines. I don't know why that is...

Unrelated, I saw a profile where the username was "nottonightihaveaheadache"... I really really hope that's a troll account.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    grcarogrcaro Registered User regular
    Dunno, I've definitely hit the `located anywhere`, `online in the last 10 years` and sort by `highest match %` or by the okcupid match algorithm a few times when I'm bored to find my perfect soul mate, haha. Doesn't explain why they're all in the Philippines but it could explain how someone so far away managed to find your profile.

grcaro.blogspot.com
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Interestingly, the woman who wanted to break up with me last week got back in touch, explained herself, and now we're back on with a minimum of fuss.
    Two of her turn-ons include well-groomed beards and being lightly touched on the neck. I touched her neck with my beard and she practically fell down. :winky:

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Beards are the gentleman's seduction weapon of choice. I say this as a man sometimes referred to as "the beard."

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    This guy seemed pretty interesting from his profile but his message left a little something to be desired...

"Please tell me why I cant get a date?
    I'm just a normal guys maybe a little hypa at times but I know how to treat a women.
    Any idears on where I'm going wrong???
    xx"

Handsome New York man please move over here!

Edit: I forgot about this one last night just before I fell asleep!!

"How's it going Angel? I must apologise as I saw from your profile that you are not looking to date someone of my age, but your profile is awesome. I loved your frankness and had to smile when I went through the sex answers, cupid thinks we have a 96% comparability but I guess there's nothing down for us what with you living all the way over on the other side of town. However if you did fancy a Boscombe adventure one night let me know. I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure it wont take you long to make friends here."

From my side it says we're 88% matched not 96%, and please don't talk about smiling while reading my sex questions. Please.

Angelina on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I personally frown whenever I look at people's answers to sex questions. Licentious deviants, the lot of you.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Angelina wrote: »
    Edit: I forgot about this one last night just before I fell asleep!!

"How's it going Angel? I must apologise as I saw from your profile that you are not looking to date someone of my age, but your profile is awesome. I loved your frankness and had to smile when I went through the sex answers, cupid thinks we have a 96% comparability but I guess there's nothing down for us what with you living all the way over on the other side of town. However if you did fancy a Boscombe adventure one night let me know. I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure it wont take you long to make friends here."

From my side it says we're 88% matched not 96%, and please don't talk about smiling while reading my sex questions. Please.

Nice... Hey, I see we're a 96% compatibility match, so how about a one-night stand?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Nice... Hey, I see we're a 96% compatibility match, so how about a one-night stand?

Why sure much older and very creepy man, that's exactly how it works!

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

We usually don't say that right to Richy's face :(

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    PixelMonkeyPixelMonkey Registered User regular
    Did a blind date thing today girl shows see me stand up and say straight I'm so sorry but you're just to short and basically just left.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

The Philippines thing seems to be common and cuts across race and ideology. They usually have the bit at the bottom about looking for long distance pen pals (not exactly unheard of in Asian countries given that English is the foreign language you learn in school for many) but my theory is that OKC is really an online zoo with its servers collecting data in Manila.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Ryan
    3/29/2013 8:52:49 AM
    Please tell me why I cant get a date?
    I'm just a normal guys maybe a little hypa at times but I know how to treat a women.
    Any idears on where I'm going wrong???
    xx

angel_of_ages
    3/29/2013 10:12:23 AM
    Telling girls you can't get a date maybe?

Ryan
    3/29/2013 4:32:29 PM
    ummmm yea ok

You asked! I'm heading out tomorrow night and I'm quite determined to strike up conversations with at least 3 guys. They will turn out to be idiots as I have terrible taste, but I'm turning into a very annoyed internet dater.

@pixelmonkey I don't know whether it's a good thing the girl was so honest or not, but *hugs* that sucks.

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »

We usually don't say that right to Richy's face :(

Hey hey hey I'm not that old! :(

sig.gif
  • Options
    Did a blind date thing today girl shows see me stand up and say straight I'm so sorry but you're just to short and basically just left.
    Wow.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    As another short guy, wear motorcycle boots or cowboy boots when meeting someone for the first time. Unfortunately, those few extra inches really do help.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular

The Philippines thing seems to be common and cuts across race and ideology. They usually have the bit at the bottom about looking for long distance pen pals (not exactly unheard of in Asian countries given that English is the foreign language you learn in school for many) but my theory is that OKC is really an online zoo with its servers collecting data in Manila.

I know a lot of Filipinos due to my last job, where we had our entire customer service operation outsourced there along with a significant portion of our software work. As such, I've picked up a few things about the somewhat strange culture there.

1) The Philippines are generally a vacation destination, so people there are used to seeing white people. Their English is usually very good, and because they see tourists, they assume most white people have a lot of money. Compared to your average Filipino, that's actually usually the case.

2) They are culturally conservative, in the family and dating sense, but also sexually liberal. The Philippines is unfortunately rather well known as a destination for sexual tourism, and there's somewhat of an issue of trafficking, but if any white guy wants to know what it feels like to be approached sexually, just visit any mall in the Philippines and you'll have 2 or 3 very attractive young woman propositioning you, talking to you and wanting to spend time with you even if you repeatedly refuse their propositioning. The conservative element, though, comes through in the sense that they are more comfortable with old-fashioned courting, where you spend a long time dating and such before anything really "happens," which works well for penpals/LDR.

3) They are tech-savvy and there are many 3rd shift jobs, resulting in many young Filipinos online around the same time as the US. They're usually exactly 12 hours off from New York.

4) They LOVE the US. They watch US TV, US movies, read US magazines, and so on. Filipino women grow up watching US romantic comedies. I'm not sure if it's related, but it seems that many Filipino women find white men more attractive than male Filipinos. White men almost always are taller than Filipinos, too.

5) Being an island nation, many of them are used to travel, even if semi-locally, and that means taking a trip to the US or living there for a long period of time doesn't bother them as much.

Among my female Filipino friends (as in, they are actually in the Philippines), all of them have white male boyfriends.

What that means, to me, is that if you set your location to the Philippines and just wait for about a week, your mailbox will be full of Filipino women sending cutesy weird stuff in very good English. If you're looking for a long-distance relationship, they're probably your fastest bet. Not best, but fastest. I personally think it's very strange, but it's something to watch for if you start browsing internationally.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I hope this doesn't make me too picky, but I just read through a profile and it went like this: Oh hey she's pretty cute, nice match %, seems like a cool liberal chick, good taste in music, favorite author is...AYN RAND WTF GET ME OUT OF HERE. Oklahoma is tough at times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nope, Ayn Rand is a good reason to not date someone.

sig.gif
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    You guys are forgetting the most important thing, love will find a way. I don't understand why you all aren't willing to quit everything you know to move to foreign countries in pursuit of these love interests. It only seems logical.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »
    You guys are forgetting the most important thing, love will find a way. I don't understand why you all aren't willing to quit everything you know to move to foreign countries in pursuit of these love interests. It only seems logical.

That's dinosaurs man, dinosaurs.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    He's simply saying that love, uh, finds a way.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    My assumption has always been that the Match % is the same for both people, is that wrong? I figured it comes up with a number based on the combination of how they match your preferences and how you match their preferences.

• Options
    Yeah, any given two people should see the same %s for each other. If they're not, then either one person is lying or there's a software/database issue.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    My assumption has always been that the Match % is the same for both people, is that wrong? I figured it comes up with a number based on the combination of how they match your preferences and how you match their preferences.

That's what I always assumed, too. But either it's not or the guy that contacted Angelina is very stupid. I'm actually leaning on the second option right now... an easy check would be for any two people on OKC in this thread to look at each other and report the number. I'm not on OKC so I can't help.

sig.gif
  • Options
    forty wrote: »
    He's simply saying that love, uh, finds a way.

Can we just agree that both love and dinosaurs find a way?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

That's what I always assumed, too. But either it's not or the guy that contacted Angelina is very stupid. I'm actually leaning on the second option right now... an easy check would be for any two people on OKC in this thread to look at each other and report the number. I'm not on OKC so I can't help.

According to the okcupid blog the % value comes from square root of ( [% your satisfaction with their answers] * [%their satisfaction with your answers] ).

Thus you should have the same value unless one or the other of you changed your answers or answered more questions in the time between each of you checking the match.

Due to how they weight stuff by level of importance on an exponential scale, even just changing one question cause a big shift if its something one or the other of you rate highly.

Or he's an idiot.

• Options
    Hmm well I'm guessing at least some of the handsome men from around the world that view me are you people so someone tell me what our match % is!
    http://www.okcupid.com/profile/angelofages

A drunk guy on the bus tonight asked me to smack him in the face. When he got off the bus he licked the window by my seat. It seems that I'm just as lucky in real life with men!

• Options
    86% evidently.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Sicarii wrote: »
    86% evidently.

Yeps that's what is says on mine too. I think you've said suppose on your profile instead of supposed, and apart from that I have nothing to say about your profile because it's awesome. Can some of you guys teach the men over here about what they should be writing. It's depressing reading what you've all put and then what local guys say.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    89% for me...

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    89% for me...

Yeps! So the guy was a giant idiot. Though still a very well matched idiot sadly.

• Options
    Sicarii wrote: »
    86% evidently.

Yeps that's what is says on mine too. I think you've said suppose on your profile instead of supposed, and apart from that I have nothing to say about your profile because it's awesome. Can some of you guys teach the men over here about what they should be writing. It's depressing reading what you've all put and then what local guys say.

True story: I wrote my profile while I was drunk.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    96%

I win!

Edit: Sorry all your admirers have been weirdos/creepos, Angelina! As awesome people, we attract them like wildfire.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    You should all stop being awesome, even when drunk!

I now know who some of you are, you have faces!

I've been told quite a few times today on PoF that I'm obviously a little crazy, so maybe I'm just attracting people like me.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    78%

apparently we'd be better friends

i'm sorry to have to break it to you like this, here, in public

• Options
    I've been told quite a few times today on PoF that I'm obviously a little crazy, so maybe I'm just attracting people like me.

That's your problem right there, you're a little bit crazy. You should be completely nuts like the rest of us!

sig.gif
  • Options
    This girl I'm talking to sent me a message where she talks about starting a new chapter in her life. Her exact words, though, are "a chance to start at ground zero and reignite".

<fry.gif>
    Not sure if she's being poetic or making a bomb joke.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Hmm well I'm guessing at least some of the handsome men from around the world that view me are you people so someone tell me what our match % is!
    http://www.okcupid.com/profile/angelofages

A drunk guy on the bus tonight asked me to smack him in the face. When he got off the bus he licked the window by my seat. It seems that I'm just as lucky in real life with men!

68%/89% Negative answers involved freckles....I always thought the matching was a little off.

remade my profile so have at it. Show no mercy. http://www.okcupid.com/profile/bluflare

This discussion has been closed.