As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terra Drive Live (PAX Convention Game)

• Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    But...er...how will we identify fellow players to rock paper scissors to the death?

MY oh my this thread makes me feel like I'm a retard.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fellow mercs will stick a life token in their badge holder, plus they will be wearing wristbands for their color factions. Faction leaders will... I don't think we've decided yet? Was it two wristbands or will they just put their faction leader card in with their badge?

On that note, Tony, if this game gets played again (almost certain), I'd suggest renaming "color factions" to just "color". That way individual factions can be allied with a color, or be colorless. You'll also just have Faction Leaders and Color Leaders. "Color Faction Leader" just seems clunky.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Noted! And yes, two wristbands for faction leaders.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    I signed up for radicals. This should be kind of neat. Despite it being a simple exchange of tokens I plan to metaphorically throw myself in front of Aioua. Anyone who is all vowels deserves that kind of loyalty.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Alright, so I need a codename. This is simple. Post your ideas and then there will be a vote. I don't care what it is, I just need one. So go nuts.

Note: This is for TerraDrive and Patient Zero @ Pax.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PAXVirgin2007.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah i think you have the wrong forum chief.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Nope not pax virgin. I went last year.

And i put this here because Its for TerraDrive and for Patient Zero. Which WILL be taking place at pax but if you request me to move this, then it will be done.

Sumi on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sumi wrote: »
    And i put this here because Its for TerraDrive and for Patient Zero. Which WILL be taking place at pax but if you request me to move this, then it will be done.

Well you didnt specify that in your first post ;-)

Usually when you just say live, people mean xbox live

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Origami Sheriff.

Crushinator.

Solar Wind.

Brick in the Wall.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yes sorry I should have said so.

I like crushinator hah. Keep them coming. We vote tonight.. or tomorrow.. sometime anyways.

Sumi on
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is there a prize? I'll do most anything if the word prize comes into play. And with that...

Clusterbomb.

Nut Cluster.

American Gladiator.

Biscuits 'n' Gravy.

The Fallen.

My Pokemans.

Buttermilk Biscuits

The Xenocide.

Officer on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    oh shoot. There SHOULD be a prize. Let me think.

Sumi on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sumi wrote: »
    oh shoot. There SHOULD be a prize. Let me think.

How about Sosumi as a handle? Memorable, funny and something that sticks.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    I signed up for radicals. This should be kind of neat. Despite it being a simple exchange of tokens I plan to metaphorically throw myself in front of Aioua. Anyone who is all vowels deserves that kind of loyalty.

Well, you've got a lot of vowels yourself, so that makes sense. Birds of a feather? We'll have to start calling the Radicals the Alphabet Squad.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Ooo! we've got e, too. Vowel power!

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait what are we talking about? Vowels?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So already signed up n' all but what faction should I join guys? ;D

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, in terms of real life, If you're planning on spending any time in the tabletop area (floor 2, basically) the Radicals would be a good choice, as that will be our home turf.
    In terms of game mythos, we're still the best choice. Linky in my sig for our info.

Aioua on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, the Radicals are a great choice if you like living like ewoks and achieving your goals by killing women and children! :P

For true (maybe even great) justice you should definately check out the Bleeding Hearts! :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    skarsol wrote: »
    Yeah, the Radicals are a great choice if you like living like ewoks and achieving your goals by killing women and children! :P

For true (maybe even great) justice you should definately check out the Bleeding Hearts! :)

Killing women and children? Who do you think you're talking about? Radicals are sworn to protect the peaceful. That is the whole reason we exist, to provide strength the the weak, to overthrow their oppressors. True, our tactics can be overzealous, but we never kill except when we must, and even then never innocent bystanders. Buildings can be rebuilt, equipment can be reordered, but people can't be replaced.
    In fact, if I recall correctly, there have been several planets that we have rescued from your "justice", where your disgusting Blood Judges were sentencing innocents to death. In truth all you really are is the remnant of the religious oppression of old earth.

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Aioua wrote: »
    Killing women and children? Who do you think you're talking about? Radicals are sworn to protect the peaceful. That is the whole reason we exist, to provide strength the the weak, to overthrow their oppressors. True, our tactics can be overzealous, but we never kill except when we must, and even then never innocent bystanders. Buildings can be rebuilt, equipment can be reordered, but people can't be replaced.
    In fact, if I recall correctly, there have been several planets that we have rescued from your "justice", where your disgusting Blood Judges were sentencing innocents to death. In truth all you really are is the remnant of the religious oppression of old earth.

And when the people that used to work in those buildings are starving without their jobs, you're halfway across the Universe crusading for some other 'worthy' cause. I'm sure they're singing your praises.

No one is truly innocent and if your crusades weren't always so superficial you might realize that the people we've balanced weren't nearly so deserving of 'rescue'.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm I'm just not convinced yet as to what faction I should join.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

And when the people that used to work in those buildings are starving without their jobs, you're halfway across the Universe crusading for some other 'worthy' cause. I'm sure they're singing your praises.

No one is truly innocent and if your crusades weren't always so superficial you might realize that the people we've balanced weren't nearly so deserving of 'rescue'.

Superficial nothing. We're still mercs, we have no delusions. We just fight for the right people, not the highest bidder. We'll fight, and we'll also rebuild--if that's the wish of the people. If they don't want our services any more, we've got others waiting who need them just as much. We have no crusades, just work. Our only ideal is selling our services to people who couldn't otherwise afford them, but still deserve them.

Aioua on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Superficial nothing. We're still mercs, we have no delusions. We just fight for the right people, not the highest bidder. We'll fight, and we'll also rebuild--if that's the wish of the people. If they don't want our services any more, we've got others waiting who need them just as much. We have no crusades, just work. Our only ideal is selling our services to people who couldn't otherwise afford them, but still deserve them.

Wishes don't put food on *my* plate and I'm pretty sure the same goes for yours. If 'the people' can't afford to pay you, then it's no longer work and is indeed a crusade! Either that or someone else is footing the bill? Ultima perhaps?

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    We only ever charge what the people can afford. We only leave when they ask us. Sometimes we're paid in only food and lodgings. But free people don't always want a military presence, so we are invairably asked to go on our way. Sometimes thing go foul from there, but it's not because we've abandoned anyone. Who foots the bill? Not all of our fights ended in failure, and those who became prosperous with our help are never shy to donate. Ultima indeed! That scum is what we hope to eradicate. We work with equipment that we've cobbled together, live hand to mouth, and risk our lives for not more than a plate of meager food; and you dare insinuate that we're in bed with Ultima?
    Be warned: we have no quarrell with the Bleeding Hearts; but you stay peaceful in our people's territory, and don't even think about imposing your twisted justice, or you will face retribution.

Aioua on
  • Options
    ScotasianglishScotasianglish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gah. You bicker and argue, but honestly, if you had just allowed the Ultima Corporation to do what it needs, everyone could be living peaceful, prosperous lives in our employ.

Scotasianglish on
    The original chinese-welsh-scotsman with a japanese last name.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Paid in food, paid nothing, the difference is negligible with the cost of operations these days. If thats truly the extent of your operations then you aren't going to be much of a worry for us anyways. As for not having a quarrel with us, we already have a pending investigation on the ramifications of your blockade of Ta'letop...

OOC:
    I have a bit of an issue with the whole life token tax thing. The average walk up player is going to only have the one token that comes in their bag to start with, right? So effectively you guys who are camping areas are saying that if you want to participate in this section of PAX, you must essentially forfeit your chance to play TerraDrive because you'll be forced to either give over your token or else fight however many faction folks are present and win against all of them in order to continue playing TD (otherwise you'll have lost your token/s along the way, at least from my understanding of the situation). What I see happening is a lot of people who don't really care about playing handing over their one token as tribute and going on with PAX, thus creating an artificial influx of "wins" for those factions. *shrug* It's a shame there's no game currency other than "life".

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Gah. You bicker and argue, but honestly, if you had just allowed the Ultima Corporation to do what it needs, everyone could be living peaceful, prosperous lives in our employ.

We would have no issue with Ultima boosting the tech base of Ta'letop and increasing antium production as long as you aren't egregiously heavy-handed in doing so.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    JackKieserJackKieser Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OOC:
    I have a bit of an issue with the whole life token tax thing. The average walk up player is going to only have the one token that comes in their bag to start with, right? So effectively you guys who are camping areas are saying that if you want to participate in this section of PAX, you must essentially forfeit your chance to play TerraDrive because you'll be forced to either give over your token or else fight however many faction folks are present and win against all of them in order to continue playing TD (otherwise you'll have lost your token/s along the way, at least from my understanding of the situation). What I see happening is a lot of people who don't really care about playing handing over their one token as tribute and going on with PAX, thus creating an artificial influx of "wins" for those factions. *shrug* It's a shame there's no game currency other than "life".

See, that's why you deal with the Crossbones Exchange. We aren't taxing anyone like the Radicals, and we aren't trying to fool ourselves into some false moral pretext. We know exactly who we're fighting for at all times, what we're fighting for, and who we're fighting against.

I mean, if you are looking for some false idealogical morality to fight for, sure, the Hearts and Radicals are ok, I guess. Ultima is just a mistake any way you slice it.

--Jack Kieser

JackKieser on

Balanced-Brawl-Sig-2.gif?t=1271711610
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm getting emails and PMs about buying Powerups and Life Tokens from our website now that we're within a week of the show start.

You have two options for buying Powerups, Life Tokens, and Faction Packs.

1) You can still buy them online, and you get a better deal that way, and we'll allow you to pick them up at PAX. Just show up to a kill station and give your name, and you'll get your stuff. "Merc Packs" and other packs where you get discounts for buying groups of cards together will NOT be sold at the show (Except Faction Packs, which are sold Friday only...no new factions after 7pm Friday). These deals are only available via the website prior to the show.

2) You can buy them at the show. Life tokens will be two for a dollar. Powerups are $1 for a common, $2 for an uncommon, and $3 for a rare. We only have 1000 uncommons and 250 rares. Commons are pretty much unlimited. We've already sold some rares and uncommons via the website, FYI, so there will be less available at the show. I doubt we'll sell out of the rares via the website, but if you're the 200th person to buy powerups at our Kill Station, the chances of getting a rare Powerup are certainly lower than if you'd already reserved yours prior to arrival.

Let the questions begin.

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press

• Options
    QuintusQuintus Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    If I already placed an order on the website today, is there any chance it will get to me (In Washington state) before next Friday?

Quintus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Can I print up some lit and leave it at the Kill Stations? Basically just some instructions and info for new recruits. How many do you think we'd need? 1000? 5000?

Aioua on
  • Options
    mckaysalisburymckaysalisbury Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    <ooc>Sorry, I've been out of it for a while. I've been working on a lot of things. RL FTL.</ooc>

Hello, in case you aren't aware. I'm McKay Salisbury. Leader of the Ultima Corporation, Some of you may be more familiar with us as "Corpers". Some have used the term derogatively, but we wear it with pride. You may have heard that some of us will be showing up in suits. That's right, you'll be able to know who we are.

<ooc>I've been in contact with a local tie manufacturer, and I'm seeing if I can get a bunch of ties so we'll be unified in that respect. I was thinking about solid black ties along the lines of Men In Black or Agents from The Matrix, but I think something more "unique" would be more fitting. The ties will be "Phat", so it's not something you'll want to miss. Show up in a suit.</ooc>

Some have asked where we'll be. I don't know about the rest of the color faction, but I'll be everywhere. The ULP has given us jurisdiction over PAX, so we will be covering as much of it as we can. We still have substantial liberties given us by the Copyright Defense Act, including at least one retaliatory strike against a CBX headquarters we plan on using at PAX, so count on us using them.

The idea of The Radicals exacting a tax over random mercenaries seems like something that needs to be liberated.

"JackKeiser" "Apartments in Belleveue" "doesn't want guys in suits at his door" That sounds like too much information to be giving out Phaze. I hope you've got good Duratanium locks on your doors. I think we've got another use for our CDA strikes!

mckaysalisbury on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Heh... you speak like I should be afraid of you Corpers or something. I guess that's what separates you from us...

You fight for pride and money; we're fighting for our lives.

Besides... black suits? Ties? Sounds like an easy target to me. Maybe I shouldn't be the only one preparing for a battle... ;)

--Jack Kieser

JackKieser on

• Options
    samer791samer791 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well... thanks, McKay, you've made my job that much easier.

We are ready and waiting, accepting any new members, whatever cause they have to fight against you.
    When war breaks out, we will be there. And you?

You will die.

The Pen Guns for hire need more members if we want to help fight the fight against Ultima! Register now, because alone we are but one faction. United, we are three.

samer791 on
  • Options
    QuintusQuintus Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    JackKieser wrote: »
    You fight for pride and money; we're fighting for our lives.

Besides... black suits? Ties? Sounds like an easy target to me. Maybe I shouldn't be the only one preparing for a battle... ;)

We have no intention of being difficult to find, and we are always prepared to do our jobs.

As for pride and money, I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but I'm here because I love my job. I enjoy every time I get to vaporize a leech. The money and the perks are certainly a nice bonus, but for me it's all about getting to do what I want to do anyway: putting thieves in their place.

And I don't buy "fighting for our lives" for a moment. No one has to steal just to live anymore. Leeches are leeches no matter what grand cause they think they're working towards. You choose to steal, and I choose to join the fight to stop you. If it weren't for our researchers and developers doing their jobs every day, there would be nothing left for you to steal anyway.

Oh, and about the "radicals" and their "tax" for landing on an independant planet that has been officially designated as under our juristiction: Good luck. I'm looking forward to stopping by.

-J, Ultima Corporation Mercenary

Quintus on
  • Options
    ScotasianglishScotasianglish Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Me, I'm a Ultima Special Services Department Representative. And like Quintus/ J, I enjoy what I do.

Yes, suits may be easy to pick out in a crowd. They're designed that way. Because we're fully confident in our ability, as a corporate entity, to take on whatever may come.

Scotasianglish on
    The original chinese-welsh-scotsman with a japanese last name.
  • Options
    mckaysalisburymckaysalisbury Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rally points.

I've talked a lot about what's going on on the Corpers discussion page on the wiki
    http://www.technomancer-press.com/TerraDrive/index.php?title=Talk:Corpers
    Feel free to take a look.

For the benefit of everyone, our rally point is the north lobby on the 4th floor. Note that that's the nearest public space to the exhibition hall. <ooc>Exhibition hall is corporations, so I figured that that's a good match</ooc>. you can check out the map on the convention center's website. It's the northern most yellow space on that map. We'll be wearing suits and making ties available before the event starts if I can.

And yeah. We plan on being a visible target. That doesn't mean we're an easy target. We're prepared for battle. You should be afraid. Especially if you're Radicals (issuing a tax on our legally-designated territory), or Crossbones Exchange (we have a Copyright Defense Act liberty or two we plan on using).

Also Phaze (JackKieser),
    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

mckaysalisbury on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ha! Fear is not in my nature, nor is it in the nature of my fellow pirates. You think your unjust laws and brute force mentality scares us? Lesser men than us have brought down larger tyrants than you.

The future is coming, McKay. You and your men would do well to prepare for it.

--Phaze

(EDIT: The CBX talk page has been updated with our rally point info; if you want to know where the party is at, head over there. Jack out.)

JackKieser on

This discussion has been closed.