As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Internet Dating] Bisexuals over 30 without smartphones are doomed. DOOOOOOMED!

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I add people to my favourites so I can remember to look at the profile again and send a message sadly most of the time when I go back these women have deleted thier accounts

I have been asked for ID on a date it felt odd and really forced

A friend of mine went on a few dates with a gentlemandouchebag only to find out he lied about his age by 10 years. I can understand the ID thing a bit more because of that experience.

Lilnoobs on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I once told someone I was interested in dating why would I lie I have nothing to gain by doing so. And yet she still would not beleive me

• LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    I know someone at work who lied about his age by ten years on his profile. I pointed out this will eventually catch up with him and the girls he meets will be like, "Oh look . . . A LIAR." But not to worry, he has a plan. To never tell his future girlfriend the truth ever. Great plan!!

So blame him and people like him for people demanding to see IDs, I guess.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    LadyM wrote: »
    I know someone at work who lied about his age by ten years on his profile. I pointed out this will eventually catch up with him and the girls he meets will be like, "Oh look . . . A LIAR." But not to worry, he has a plan. To never tell his future girlfriend the truth ever. Great plan!!

So blame him and people like him for people demanding to see IDs, I guess.

The plan is probably not the best but the effects of the reveal may vary. A friend of mind did something similar, tweaking her age down from the 40s (she definitely doesn't look her age unless you pay really, really close attention to certain wrinkle areas), and the guy she met through OKC had a lot of fun teasing her about it but wasn't declaring deceit and chicanery. Who knows, he might wind up meeting a woman that also is lying about her age. They could then make a screenplay for a romantic comedy.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So about that mutual star thing; not the case, I got an email about some lady 5 starring me.

Of course, on the OKC site it just said "SOMEONE 5 starred you, join A List to find out who!"

But yeah, email just said who it was. So. Starring people does tell them.

Oh brilliant
  • AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    Stuck in hospital overnight, my doctor is hot and I have no idea how to flirt with the man when he's taking my blood. But I work here too so maybe I can find him another time. Now I feel the creepy one. Maybe a picture of me in this gown will attract some good Internet daters!

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Been thinking of dipping my toes in the internet dating ring. I made a profile a while back (maybe two?). Long enough ago I just made a whole new one.

I'm kind of at a lose as to what is normal for a first message though. My first instinct is just "Hey, I see you like x, that's really awesome--what do you think about y aspect of x?" but I don't really know . . . that also seems too simple which apparently has been my downfall in my irl attempts.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    @Lilnoobs

I took our argument to PMs, because I am the better (taller, read: more of a) man. :bz :bz :bz

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Been thinking of dipping my toes in the internet dating ring. I made a profile a while back (maybe two?). Long enough ago I just made a whole new one.

I'm kind of at a lose as to what is normal for a first message though. My first instinct is just "Hey, I see you like x, that's really awesome--what do you think about y aspect of x?" but I don't really know . . . that also seems too simple which apparently has been my downfall in my irl attempts.

Maybe a little more 'this is why x is also important to me'(but not a lot), and funny doesn't hurt, unless it's self-deprecating 'here's a reason not to fuck me' funny.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Ok you know what give mentally with women. Even the short girls want six foot guys fine, they want be able to say to short guys to suck it up when they could be well a fat cow due to treating their bodies like shit and still get all the support in the world and even support groups popping up from them fine.

However the one thing that hasn't been able to stop pissing me off is the fact I'm constantly blow off for something I can't change without crippling surgery, and I'm told I'm not allowed to be bitter about it.

You don't have to shave your legs, wear make up, learn to walk in heels, wear a push up bra, co ordinate your underwear, worry about cellulite, wear extensions, skip dessert, shave your armpits, show some skin but oh shit not too much skin, fuckin WAX, bleach your facial hair, get an eating disorder, pluck your eyebrows, keep fit but not muscular because muscles are gross, put your body back into shape after pregnancy, or plan to account for the fact you're going to bleed from your genitals every month until youre grey. So yes, how about you stop being bitter about it.

Show me which one of those things is a must have for all girls, because I have dated women who have not observed at least two entries on that list each, and we got on just fine.

Show me where its a must have that all guys be plus six foot. Because that's the point I'm responding to.

Plus six foot? No. Plus inches? Yes.

Even if women are shorter than me, they still seem to prefer men taller than me.

My last few romantic relationships have been with women who were slightly taller than me, however.

Slider wrote: »
    My last few romantic relationships have been with women who were slightly taller than me, however.

Well I hear tell you're pretty handsome, sooo...

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    redx wrote: »

Maybe a little more 'this is why x is also important to me'(but not a lot), and funny doesn't hurt, unless it's self-deprecating 'here's a reason not to fuck me' funny.

Gotcha. I didn't really know where the including stuff about me line was since . . . well, it's more or less all on my page. Welp, here we go, I suppose.

Also, is it proper to just use your username at first, or do most people use their actual name in messages? I really don't know the site's protocol is about that (i'd only be use my first name for the record, if I went that route)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    My personality is...."really great" and the girls want me ..."so bad"....thanks okcupid

• T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    Also, is it proper to just use your username at first, or do most people use their actual name in messages? I really don't know the site's protocol is about that (i'd only be use my first name for the record, if I went that route)
    Don't use your username, use your first name. It seems typical for the ladies not to mention their name now though, and it didn't use to be that way.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So I have exchanged a few messages with a lady on OkCupid and we were having a pleasant conversation, and then two weeks go by and she doesn't respond

It says under her "you should message me if" section: "if you're at least 6 feet tall"
    I message her again a few days ago with a half-joking "I hope you didn't lose interest just because I'm not 6 feet tall!"

Last night, her reply:
    "pretty much"

shot through the heart, lady

• rizriz Registered User regular
    It's weird that she talked to you that long to begin with if she knew it was a dealbreaker for her...

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So I have exchanged a few messages with a lady on OkCupid and we were having a pleasant conversation, and then two weeks go by and she doesn't respond

It says under her "you should message me if" section: "if you're at least 6 feet tall"
    I message her again a few days ago with a half-joking "I hope you didn't lose interest just because I'm not 6 feet tall!"

Last night, her reply:
    "pretty much"

shot through the heart, lady

Give me her info.

"Oi oi babe"

There are two words that come to mind, I didn't know if I'd get in trouble for posting them. After the night I've had, just, eurgh.

• SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Height is only an issue if you make it one. If you're short and the girl wants tall guys, go after shorter girls or girls who don't want tall guys. There are millions of them out there...literally millions. I'm 5 ft 7 and have never had a problem. I typically date girls 5ft3 or shorter, but my gf of 6 months met on OkCupid is only slightly shorter than I am. She doesn't care and if anything I'm the one more conscious of it when she wears heels and is taller than me...but, meh. This is just another preference that some girls have...deal with it. Don't whine over how it's not fair. Work on the stuff you can control and fuck the rest.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

edited April 2013
    I wasn't whining. I was just relating a thing that happened. I actually burst out laughing when I saw it.

edit: also I'm 5'9"! I'm hardly a hobbit.

Grey Ghost on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Height is only an issue if you make it one. If you're short and the girl wants tall guys, go after shorter girls or girls who don't want tall guys. There are millions of them out there...literally millions. I'm 5 ft 7 and have never had a problem. I typically date girls 5ft3 or shorter, but my gf of 6 months met on OkCupid is only slightly shorter than I am. She doesn't care and if anything I'm the one more conscious of it when she wears heels and is taller than me...but, meh. This is just another preference that some girls have...deal with it. Don't whine over how it's not fair. Work on the stuff you can control and fuck the rest.

Separate from whether or not this is good advice, this is phrased so condescendingly that I cannot imagine anyone it applies to being able to be helped by it.

"I've never had a problem" but "deal with it" and "don't whine"

Empathy!

If the last line was all you wrote I'd have agreed completely.

Psn:wazukki
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Well frig, a girl I was messaging this weekend has disappeared. Why do girls create accounts, start conversations, and suddenly close down everything and leave without warning?

sig.gif
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    wazilla has been kidnapped by Cinders and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

ICY'S my enemy, a fact that shall stay true
    So long as I coat his forums in BLUE
    Which forumer am I?

edited April 2013
    Richy wrote: »
    Well frig, a girl I was messaging this weekend has disappeared. Why do girls create accounts, start conversations, and suddenly close down everything and leave without warning?

They got annoyed by the creepy bullshit, weren't actually interested in dating, found someone, 1 of a million other reasons, or were scared off by you, due to you being too stalkerish.

Why you got to be so stalkeris?

redx on
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    redx has been kidnapped by Richy and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I seem to be quite SERIOUS
    But really I'm just mysterious
    I'll give you some HELP, the answers not on yelp
    So you'll just have to ASK one of us
    Which forumer am I?

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    @redx: Allow me to respond to that by chloroforming you, tying you up, and dragging you to my basement.

sig.gif
    hawt!

redx has been rescued by Bursar.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Angelina wrote: »
    Hmm well I'm guessing at least some of the handsome men from around the world that view me are you people so someone tell me what our match % is!
    http://www.okcupid.com/profile/angelofages

A drunk guy on the bus tonight asked me to smack him in the face. When he got off the bus he licked the window by my seat. It seems that I'm just as lucky in real life with men!

67%, it seems.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Hacksaw has been kidnapped by spacekungfuman and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I constantly attacked, but not on the OFFENSIVE
    You might have seen my massive missives
    Partial to warcraft, but no white KNIGHT,
    Disagree? You’re in for a fight!
    Which forumer am I?

Angelina has been kidnapped by AngelHedgie and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

My name is something you’d find near toilets
    But that’s nothing compared to the shit I deal with
    For a brief stint, I tried adoption
    But the kid I got turned out to be rotten
    Which forumer am I?

Angelina has been rescued by Bursar.

Well that was an odd way to get woken up from my nap.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Hmm well I'm guessing at least some of the handsome men from around the world that view me are you people so someone tell me what our match % is!

A drunk guy on the bus tonight asked me to smack him in the face. When he got off the bus he licked the window by my seat. It seems that I'm just as lucky in real life with men!

All of 87%.

Your profile isn't unwelcoming at all, which is nice. For some reason, a lot of women near me seem to have "I don't even want to be doing online dating, so if I bother to answer your message count yourself lucky" as their default approach. I can understand that nobody wants to be inundated with messages, but nodody's tying you down and forcing you. Where does that attitude get you?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Angelina has been kidnapped by AngelHedgie and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

Are you guessing who I am?
    I'm not sure why you persist
    For am I an UNLUCKY COUNCILMAN
    Who does simply does not exist
    Which forumer am I?

90!

90!

So yeah, ummm, marry me?

LoserForHireX has been kidnapped by Angelina and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I had a NAME once
    But all things come to pass
    In the end, it ain't so bad
    I gained a lot of CLASS
    Which forumer am I?

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

90!

So yeah, ummm, marry me?
    Oh but wait

Psn:wazukki
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    Hmm, I'm at 87% too.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
This discussion has been closed.