As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Transformers Movie Thread

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    As I understood it, since all earth tech is reverse engineered from Megatrons design, that influenced the evil side when the cube was activated.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Actually, no. The Allspark just created feral transformers that attacked everything.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, when one of the Autobots pointed out that humans are primitive and violent, Optimus Prime said that Cybertronians were like that in the past too. So presumably, the AllSpark only makes primitive violent lifeforms, and the peaceful Transformer society we know evolved from that, much like human society evolved from primitive violent cavemen.

Of course, if primitive cavemen had been created with chainguns and rocket launchers, I'm not sure human society would have evolved very far.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    chasm953 wrote: »
    Actually, no. The Allspark just created feral transformers that attacked everything.

well then how the hell could optimus make autobots with it then?

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Because he's fucking Optimus Prime.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's an interesting notion that
    Decepticons could be the natural state for Transformers - maybe Autobots are actually some kind of weird perversion

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Was it just me, or did anyone else think that Peter Cullen's voice acting in the movie was leagues better than the old cartoon?

He's gotten a gruffer sound with age, I suppose, and you can definitely hear it in the Toonami voice overs.

I thought it was perfect.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I've always gotten the impression that Cullen softened it a little over the course of the G1 series - in the pilot he was fantastic (and a much better prime as well - fallible and at times emotional rather than the superheroic/messianic figure he became later on), and I felt that was closer to the movie prime.

But he did do a much better job at sounding truly weary, especially when
    Jazz died. That big sigh.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    el_vicio wrote: »
    *quote tree of spoilers*
    I also wonder why they blew up cybertron. I WTF? So now any Transformers that come in future sequels have just floating in space??? I mean c'mon WTF?
    IIRC, they did not in fact blow up Cybertron. The war against Megatron and Decepticons had been going on so long that it ravaged the planet and made Cybertron unlivable. The autobots hoped to find the All-spark to revive both the planet and the Transformer race.

So basically any autobot that shows up now has not been just floating in space, but scouring the cosmos searching for the All-spark, recently learned of its destruction, and goes to earth to help the autobots defend their new home. Doesn't sound very wtf to me.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    WagsWags Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    On the notion of Optimus using the allspark to create autobots, did he actually say he was going to create new autobots with it or did he say he was going to use it to rebuild his world of cybertron? I thought it was the latter, but I can't remember.

And in an old Q and A, one of the writers explained the all spark making evil thing: http://transformerslive.blogspot.com/2007/07/kurtzman-and-orci-post-move-q.html

Wags on
    The gods certainly weren't role models in our sense, unless you wanted to model a Mount Olympus trailer park.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wags wrote: »
    On the notion of Optimus using the allspark to create autobots, did he actually say he was going to create new autobots with it or did he say he was going to use it to rebuild his world of cybertron? I thought it was the latter, but I can't remember.

And in an old Q and A, one of the writers explained the all spark making evil thing: http://transformerslive.blogspot.com/2007/07/kurtzman-and-orci-post-move-q.html

He only mentioned using the allspark to "return life to our world". I think he meant it just like make it not shitty like it was before the war. Not to make a horde of autobots..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

He only mentioned using the allspark to "return life to our world". I think he meant it just like make it not shitty like it was before the war. Not to make a horde of autobots..

Aside from one side being good and the other evil though, what are the differences in fundamental design? I thought Autobots were just Transformers that chose not to align with Megatron's lot. The allspark's effect on machinery suggests that they're all born mindless and destructive, which would imply that one side later decided not to be.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Glyph wrote: »

Aside from one side being good and the other evil though, what are the differences in fundamental design? I thought Autobots were just Transformers that chose not to align with Megatron's lot. The allspark's effect on machinery suggests that they're all born mindless and destructive, which would imply that one side later decided not to be.

In the G1 continuity the Decepticons were a rebel faction, but it could be different in the Movie continuity, and as I said in a spoiler above, the idea of the Autobots being a perversion of the original nature of Transformers definitely appeals to me.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    *quote tree of spoilers*
    I also wonder why they blew up cybertron. I WTF? So now any Transformers that come in future sequels have just floating in space??? I mean c'mon WTF?
    IIRC, they did not in fact blow up Cybertron. The war against Megatron and Decepticons had been going on so long that it ravaged the planet and made Cybertron unlivable. The autobots hoped to find the All-spark to revive both the planet and the Transformer race.

So basically any autobot that shows up now has not been just floating in space, but scouring the cosmos searching for the All-spark, recently learned of its destruction, and goes to earth to help the autobots defend their new home. Doesn't sound very wtf to me.

o, well that makes more sense

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    It wasn't really a fight though. It was Megatron kicking the SHIT out of Optimus.

Which is pretty much how it's supposed to go. A lot of people don't do their homework on the transformers universe, or just don't care, but Megatron done right is pretty much unbeatable 1-1. Optimus is the only bot who can really come close to matching him, but "close" wasn't good enough to beat in the original film, and it wasn't good enough in the new film.

My friend, Tommy, told me about this a while back. He explained that the deceptacons and Autobots all have their own tech levels just like different people have different kinds of PCs and such. The thing is, is that most bots have limited ability to make proper upgrades to themselves. As such, the tech levels of the Deceptacons are all over the place because most of them don't trust each other enough to shut down and allow any of their comrades to perform upgrades that they aren't good enough to do to themselves.

With the Autobots, there's a lot more trust between the ranks, and so they aren't unwilling to lower their guard and allow their comrades to tinker and do upgrades for one another, so the tech level of the Autobots is much more balanced out. With Megatron, his tech is entirely his own. Nobody touches him, nobody gets to see what he's done to himself, and so no one in the Deceptacons comes close to being as powerful as he is.

By using it to produce bots big enough to know better. The smaller a bot is, upon being created, the lesser it's capacity for intelligence. Bots like Frenzy are too primitive to do more than follow orders and do their job. And when you get even smaller it becomes impossible to do little more than instinctively attack everything around you.

And personally I do think the Autobots would have used the Allspark to create more transformers. I just think they'd have only created them out of necessity, as a method of repopulating their planet, to an extent. Opposed to the Deceptacons who would use it to create mass numbers and ensure victory over the Autobots.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited August 2007

By using it to produce bots big enough to know better. The smaller a bot is, upon being created, the lesser it's capacity for intelligence. Bots like Frenzy are too primitive to do more than follow orders and do their job. And when you get even smaller it becomes impossible to do little more than instinctively attack everything around you.

And personally I do think the Autobots would have used the Allspark to create more transformers. I just think they'd have only created them out of necessity, as a method of repopulating their planet, to an extent. Opposed to the Deceptacons who would use it to create mass numbers and ensure victory over the Autobots.[/QUOTE]

Then how come when the one guy was running from megatron, and the allspark created a robot from the mountain dew vending machine (clever product placement I might add) that one did attacked as well?

Edit: Oh yea and about the megatron optimus thing. In the original movie optimus kicked the crap out of megatron until hotrod got in the way. Thats how MT got the upper hand and gave optimus the mortal blow.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Then how come when the one guy was running from megatron, and the allspark created a robot from the mountain dew vending machine (clever product placement I might add) that one did attacked as well?

Edit: Oh yea and about the megatron optimus thing. In the original movie optimus kicked the crap out of megatron until hotrod got in the way. Thats how MT got the upper hand and gave optimus the mortal blow.

Optimus gained the upper hand, yes, but he was also more Damaged than Megatron was at that point. Megatron had gotten tossed around a bit, whereas Optimus had taken a wound to his grill, which Megatron kept focusing his attacks on in order to make the wound more and more severe.

Not to mention that Megatron was stubborn at the start, and chose to go toe to toe with Optimus, instead of firing at him with his fucking-huge arm cannon while Optimus was out of range at the beginning. Granted, he lost it partway into the fight, but not before he could have gotten a few shots off if he'd chosen to do so.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I always figured that the transformers created by the Allspark during the movie were all evil because they'd been created from tech taken from Megatron's body. Since they were all, in some small way, connected to him, they resulted in Decepticons that were evil and destructive. The whole 'size makes them smarter' thing doesn't really make sense. Frenzy was smart and skilled enough to infiltrate Air Force One and hack into government databases, while bigger guys like Bonecrusher and Brawl were just 'Crush, Kill, Destroy.'

If the Autobots had used the Allspark to rebuild Cybertron, with it's 'pure' (for lack of a better word) tech, they'd have created Transformers more like them. Or they could've used the Allspark to bring life to machines built with Autobot tech, resulting in more Autobots. Or again they could've just used the Allspark to repair damage, like what happened with Frenzy when he touched it.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm not the best guy to talk about this stuff. This is just me paraphrasing the explanation that came from someone a lot smarter than me. I can't really do his explanation justice here.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Goatmon wrote: »

Optimus gained the upper hand, yes, but he was also more Damaged than Megatron was at that point. Megatron had gotten tossed around a bit, whereas Optimus had taken a wound to his grill, which Megatron kept focusing his attacks on in order to make the wound more and more severe.

Not to mention that Megatron was stubborn at the start, and chose to go toe to toe with Optimus, instead of firing at him with his fucking-huge arm cannon while Optimus was out of range at the beginning. Granted, he lost it partway into the fight, but not before he could have gotten a few shots off if he'd chosen to do so.

I'll buy that.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, following this announcement that Paramount and Dreamworks will be releasing many movies (including Transformers) only on HD DVD, as opposed to both HD and Blu-Ray, Michael Bay has declared that he won't be returning for Transformers 2. Cause, you know, Bay's all about giving the people what they want and whatever.

So, with Bay gone, does that mean no Soundwave, no Shockwave, no Dinobots? No aircraft carrier?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Or a better director

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Get Gore Verbinski for Transformers 2.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, following this announcement that Paramount and Dreamworks will be releasing many movies (including Transformers) only on HD DVD, as opposed to both HD and Blu-Ray, Michael Bay has declared that he won't be returning for Transformers 2. Cause, you know, Bay's all about giving the people what they want and whatever.

So, with Bay gone, does that mean no Soundwave, no Shockwave, no Dinobots? No aircraft carrier?

no Bay?

Maybe the next one will actually be good.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »

What about Paul Verhoven?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

What about Paul Verhoven?
    coed showers and a three-boobed transformer.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bay's already recanted from that little speel.

http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/index.html
    Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three Blu-Ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-Ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!

Which I take to mean his corporate masters smacked him on the nose.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bay's already recanted from that little speel.

http://www.michaelbay.com/blog/index.html
    Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three Blu-Ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-Ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

Which I take to mean his corporate masters smacked him on the nose.

Like being given a cookie and having it stolen right from you.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I was out doing my bi-weekly search for Ironhide, when I came across this instead:

brawl.jpg

These people are going to fucking bankrupt me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh man I hate you.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh man I hate you.

leaderclass.jpg

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Megatron is shit, though.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Megatron is shit, though.

He really is. But my OCD took over after about five of them and I find myself compelled to get every single one that was actually in the movie. The only ones I have left are Ironhide and 2007 Bumblebee. But they're so fucking hard to find, even Amazon is charging $40 for Ironhide and $65 for that Bumblebee. I saw Prime is going for over $100.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I saw the original G1 Optimus Prime in a collector store last week.

I mean the original one from the 80s, in metal, with the trailer. The one I played with when I was a kid.

It was for sale at $300 CND.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Apparently the news hasn't reached this thread yet...

Transformers. In IMAX. With new footage.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Michael Bay HD-DVD post
    08/21/2007 07:51 PM

So today I saw 300 on HD-DVD, it rocks!

Michael Bay

Well hopefully the execs will look at this and say "Hey we don't want some dude who leaps to conclusions without investigating the facts first directing the sequel to our big moneymaker".

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    I saw the original G1 Optimus Prime in a collector store last week.

I mean the original one from the 80s, in metal, with the trailer. The one I played with when I was a kid.

It was for sale at $300 CND.

Wh.....for real? o_o;

I had one of those. I think. Actually the one I had was made of plastic. Still, that certainly sounds like quite the collectible. It'd likely go for a lot more on Ebay, especially after the new film. Could make for a good investment.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Man you can get G1 reissue prime for $100 nowadays. No need to buy the original unless you are a MISB collector freak.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Man you can get G1 reissue prime for $100 nowadays.

Even with the release of the movie and all?

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    (Had to do this) I'm # 3,000 whooo hoooo!

brandotheninjamaster on