As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frank's Concept Colosseum

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2013
    F87 wrote: »
    Alright! Thanks guys.

I pm'd Iruka to talk about the character some. She gave me some sound advice and a good reference for a pose. I've started the new version and I need more feedback!

susatchka_soldierconcept5.png

The bending leg is giving me trouble, but overall I think the design seems more like a soldier and is more believable. I want her to have a heavy weapon, but I'm not sure of the weight distribution. Maybe I should lose the bag and move the weapon to the other hand. What do you guys think? Also, are her proportions correct? I've been too focused on the design I think.

This is a way more believable, a huge improvement. Beyond just the costume design (which is way, way better than your previous attempts), but (more importantly as concerns the point in my last post) this is one of the only times I've seen a pose from you that wasn't someone just stiffly mugging for the camera, or in a generic action pose. This actually looks like a human acting like an actual human being! Just because of that alone I'm digging this girl way more, and I hope you continue to push for more of that in your work going forward. Maybe it seems like a super subtle thing, but the fact that I can now buy this character as a character is huge.

It's even a huge leap over your second attempt up there because it's just a lot more humanized- when I saw this line in your last post:
    When I started over, I kept thinking of a soldier walking through a battlefield, almost calmly, just attacking. I went with that for the pose, which gave her reason to have guns drawn. She has little regard for her own life, or maybe just too confident.
    I was left thinking- 'given a prompt to give her more personality and character, your first instinct is to make her behave like a Terminator robot?'
    Now, a Terminator robot can be interesting, but only when contrasted with other people that do not act like Terminator robots, that have real thoughts and feelings. This new version makes me buy that she can have a real, human personality where the previous two didn't.

I buy it, I dig it, keep going.

The bent leg, yeah, is giving you trouble because of some tricky foreshortening, but that's just a technical issue that I'm sure you can work out with some ref and just some time and sweat. But you got the important thing, and you should be feeling really good about that.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    damn i think you just lved up!

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    One of the most common critiques I received at a workshop, was that it wasn't completely obvious who my characters where. If I can overcome that and show it in my portfolio, I will feel a lot more confident about my art.

Not to mention, it's something you all have repeated multiple times to me. I absolutely mustn't forget how important body language/pose, functional design and character type/build are to the process.

Thank you PA! I'm going to try and spend a couple days on this soldier before I post again.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    One of the most common critiques I received at a workshop, was that it wasn't completely obvious who my characters where. If I can overcome that and show it in my portfolio, I will feel a lot more confident about my art.

Not to mention, it's something you all have repeated multiple times to me. I absolutely mustn't forget how important body language/pose, functional design and character type/build are to the process.

Thank you PA! I'm going to try and spend a couple days on this soldier before I post again.

If possible, try to take cues from movies and books on "character types/emotions"... I think it's easy to repeatedly fall into the trap of "I'm going to make this character a badass!" which leads to "this character is indifferent to death" which leads to "apathetic-looking character" which leads to boredom. And it seems you've done that repeatedly. Characters can have confidence without the 1000-mile "indifference" stare. They can have swagger. They can look over-energetic and crazed. They can look smarmy and over-confident (and all of these are things you can and should show in their pose, and facial expression). They might be very brave, but their bravery is shown through their determination to get something done through fear. Again, another opportunity to show a different emotion and body language. Think about what the pose is saying about the character. You should be able to generally tell the personality/emotion through pose alone. If you look up cartoonists' gesture drawings, emotions-through-pose is pretty obvious, typically.

Also, consider making characters with personality faults. Is this character a badass, but also a total jerk? Show that. Is she a badass, but exhausted after a battle? Show that. Is this her first time on the front lines, or has she been here 1,000 times before and knows exactly what she's doing? What would the differences in pose be for those two scenarios? Will one look more cautious/afraid than the other? How will they express that through body language?

I think if you continue to think along these lines, your characters will have much, much more life to them than your previous iterations. Keep it up maaaaaang!

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    If I might suggest an exercise to help address that problem. I'm sure you've seen these face emotion charts. Why not take it a step further and do it with body language.

I propose this challenge. Do your own table of body language emotion (or even personality archetypes), but do so without facial features, this requires that you communicate the emotion with nothing but the body language.

Just a thought. I have no experience in this area, but I do find it easiest to fix my own problems by tackling them head on (apply directly to the forehead)

• Options
    @ninjai - Thanks, that's really helpful!

@NightDragon - Thank you!! You make some excellent points, I get what you mean about my apathetic-looking characters. I enjoy contrast in general, so the idea of multiple character traits will improve my work and be fun, I'm sure!

---

Some gun thumbnails:

heavy_rifle_c1.png

...and I've been working on the Soldier concept! I need some feedback before I finish her up. There is quite a bit to clean up still, but I think this character is way cooler than my others.

heavy_soldier_concept.png

A couple things I'm concerned about: Are the colors I've chosen working well for her design? Also, is the gun wacked? Did I fix her slightly foreshortened leg?

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Her thighs seem terribly small in comparison to her lower legs, is she wearing very tall boots?
    edit: + you're getting pretty great at this.

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    You're right, I should adjust the proportions some. You know how it is when you stare at something for so long. And thanks! :)

Edit: Updated the soldier! I worked on the leg proportions some. I still need to clean up the hands, gun, shadow, packs and boots plus add more battle damage.

---

Which environment thumbnail is best?

env_thumbs7.png

F87 on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    A few more:

env_thumbs8.png

The theme is a solar power city, in a vast desert. Which one should I do guys?

F87 on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Your thumbnails are really improving.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    F and G look most interesting to me, great thumbnails btw.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Thanks guys! I think I will work with F!

Now, which one of these infected bugs should I go with? It's an older concept for a creature used as biological warfare. They are released on a planet and start a ZDay like epidemic.

5.png

F87 on
  • Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I like both of the ones on the second row from the top... On the left

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Halen has been kidnapped by F87 and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I sullied my JOKE'S HISTORY
    with many a reported post
    But my spirit lives on in ev'ry DIGIMON
    like a wandering, tormented ghost
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    I'm working on the creature and the environment, still pretty early on. I could really use some feedback on the composition for the environment.

solar_city2.png

infector_concept2.png

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Update on the Solar Fortress environment, did I improve the composition?

Edit: New update below.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Another update, with a process GIF!
    solar_city_gif.gif

solar_city2_3.png

F87 on
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    i will be forever envious of your environments.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    As far as composition I prefer the earlier versions in the gif. The super high contrast draws my eye to the water and off the image. The version prior in the gif might have been better compositionally if it needed the water at all imo

ninjai on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    yeah I like the second rendering pass after the lines are established the best

• Options
    So if I reworked the composition back to how it was earlier on and lose the water completely, it would work better? I will try it out!

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    yes yes yes yes
    the water is nothing but a distraction

• Options
    edited April 2013
    OK! It does feel easier on the eyes without that bright water!

solar_city2_4.png

What do you think, guys? I plan on working on the ships, tweaking the scale and giving the fortress a bit more detail, but other than that, I think it's finished! I really put a lot of hours into this and I think I would like to loosen up and make the next one more dynamic.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've been working up a resume lately and launching my new and improved website.

After watching so much strip search, I had to try my hand at a comic! I'm thinking of doing a little series of some incredibly inept space "pilot" who weasels his way into the army to see the stars. But being funny is tough, so who knows.

comic_1.jpg

And a random illustration I've started that has to do with my sci-fi project. I did a few thumbs before, but they weren't much to look at and this is still really early.

cybergen1.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention a concern with the leg being cut off the page. Let me know what you guys think. I really want to loosen up and I plan on using this piece to make progress towards that.

F87 on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey! It looks pretty dynamic, a really nice shift from the norm for you! I'm no good at extreme foreshortening, so I cant really help you with it. But yay! Its awesome to see you pushing yourself to try new things!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I love it! Front leg doesn't really bother me at all, though the back one looks a bit wonky at the kneecap for some reason.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Alright, let's see... I've been having a lot of fun painting this, but now I'm working on the figure and I'm super frustrated with the legs / perspective. Now I know I have a lot of work to do on the background perspective and that giant stargate still feels off. I really want to make this work so tomorrow I'm just going to slowly go over it all and try to fix the "wonkiness".

cybergen3.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Dude, Frank, you have really come so far. Awesome stuff.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    That's really nice to hear this morning, I needed that! Thank you, Lyrium!

Edit: Updated the picture above some.

F87 on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Guys, holy shit. I'm just at a loss on what to do with the giant "stargate". It seems so out of perspective, or maybe the perspective in general is just whacked. I really want to fix this up but I don't know how to approach it. Any way to avoid starting over?
    cybergen4.jpg

The grid I set up:
    cybergen_guides.jpg

I guess the stargate is throwing it all off?

F87 on
  • Options
    McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    At the moment, it looks like it's leaning a little counter clockwise, and there's some off tangents on the bottom right of it that don't really match up. Note on the grid you set up, vertical line 3, the big panel at the bottom of the gate that sits on that line has two different perspectives acting on the left and right of it.

Also, while dutching adds a lot of energy to a composition, I think this is too much and would be keen to twist it back counter clockwise; because it starts to interfere with legibility a bit.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks, but I'm having a hard time understand your feedback. I get that I have different perspectives, but what do you mean about leaning counter clockwise? And what does dutching mean?

Edit: I'm probably in need of fresh eyes to fix the perspective. Hopefully after this weekend I can figure it out.

Trying to work faster, this took about 3 hours:
    Cybergen_ward2.png
    Edit: Spent another 20 mins trying to tighten it up. Proportions might need some tweaking still...

F87 on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Dutch angle = tilted camera angle.

• Options
    Ah, that's good to know! I guess that means if this is too angled I would have to start over. :( I have been trying to redo the stargate into matching perspective of the city.

cybergen5.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Update:
    Cybergen_ward3.png

I don't understand monitor calibration. I tried messing with the buttons on my monitor, but each "mode" is pretty different. Does my work look really dark?

F87 on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Finished a commission for a firefighter bear!

firefighter_bear_hr_final.png

F87 on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Working on a new character. His design is a Space suit/Combat armor type getup.

Here are the initial thumbnails:
    cybergen_main1.png

And the main thumbnails:
    cybergen_main2.png

Which one should I go with? I'm thinking E, but I may switch the legs with B.

F87 on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I like the glove-thing you've got going on in C-E, with those elbow elements. F has a cool mask but it's probably not as soldier'ish as it looks more like a rogue thing. A-C's helmets are also badass, if these are concepts for guys you're meant to empathize with however I would probably go with E's helmet, as it looks more human'ish.
    While B has totally sweet legs I think separating them from B would be a pity because B is such a whole package, with all those smooth design elements.
    B would be a totally badass bad guy imho.

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks, M3nace :D

Haven't had much time to work on that concept, but I did start the sketch.

cybergen_maxivus1.png

And some thumbnails for a commission I'm starting:

Speculatores_Thumbnails2_FW.png

I joined Noah's art camp! So far I've done a lot of comp/color studies and a full blown master study that was really difficult.

Comp/Color Studies:
    week1_thumbset1.png
    week1_thumbset2.png
    week1_thumbset3.png

Master Study:
    week1_masterstudy.png

I'm hoping I can be more conscious about the relationship between color temperatures, not to mention shapes and proportions. This art camp should be really helpful, I'm excited! :)

F87 on
  • Options
    Working on a commission:

Speculatores_WIP_FW.png