As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Mists of Pandaria. I farmed up 150 Pieces of Meat and all I got was this lousy belt.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Maaaan I want the 502 sword but I don't want dps queues, and I know I'll never get it with the coin roll after a spec swap.

WTB 5.3 now.

EDIT: Hmm...maybe if I don't get it after awhile I could just make the lionheart executioner. The top iteration is 502.

EDITx2: I got a Living Sandling from Council? WTF? Is that a fluke or pets/mounts actually in LFR now?

EDITx3: oooh, ok, it's normally from trash that isn't there in LFR so you can just get it as a direct reward from Council. Cool.

EDITx4: according to Wowhead, pets can drop in LFR even on bosses, but apparently mounts can't; though there seems to be some debate?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Aww man, they are for real 'shutting down' NPC's in the Troll section of Orgrimmar in 5.3. I thought it would just be like guards everywhere, but according to MMO-Champ the bankers/auctioneers/vendors will just say "sorry, too dangerous".

I'm torn. It's a neat thing to do for lore, but the troll section AH/Bank is where my bank alt parks because it is all right there. :(

I hope it goes back to normal eventually; but I imagine at least 5.3 and 5.4 it'll be down.

EDIT: looks like the end-of-questline for the barrens? stuff in 5.3 is 502 boots. That's actually pretty nice. Boots, in general, are my bane in finishing transmog sets. They look to match the ToT LFR sets. Also, get to 90, go do the quests, get a pretty big boost in ilvl. It'll make the Sha quest boots irrelevant, mostly, but hey. that's how it goes.

Oh man, you don't even know. You don't even know how good Cow Town is. The Tauren area has EVERYTHING in one nice little clump. It's definitely something I miss about being Horde.

In other news, killed me some Iron Qon and Twin Consorts tonight. Qon took... 7 attempts, and we one shot Consorts. WELP. Yeah though Consorts were easy as fuck. Iron Qon was really fun though, really dig that fight.

So then we took some stabs on Lei Shen. Oh boy, we are in for a bumpy ride. We've gotten Phase 1 down pretty good, but the Transition comes and everything goes to shit. Gonna have to look for tips on handling that part. Fucking cool fight though so far. Damn.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Cow Town is best town.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, Consorts was super easy. We've got Lei Shen's phases down but those transitions are fucked. We killed Iron Qon with like 20 minutes left in the night, decided to toss in a few attempts on Consorts to get a feel for it and kill it first time. We even 3-healed it.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    Aww man, they are for real 'shutting down' NPC's in the Troll section of Orgrimmar in 5.3. I thought it would just be like guards everywhere, but according to MMO-Champ the bankers/auctioneers/vendors will just say "sorry, too dangerous".

I'm torn. It's a neat thing to do for lore, but the troll section AH/Bank is where my bank alt parks because it is all right there. :(

I hope it goes back to normal eventually; but I imagine at least 5.3 and 5.4 it'll be down.

EDIT: looks like the end-of-questline for the barrens? stuff in 5.3 is 502 boots. That's actually pretty nice. Boots, in general, are my bane in finishing transmog sets. They look to match the ToT LFR sets. Also, get to 90, go do the quests, get a pretty big boost in ilvl. It'll make the Sha quest boots irrelevant, mostly, but hey. that's how it goes.

Oh man, you don't even know. You don't even know how good Cow Town is. The Tauren area has EVERYTHING in one nice little clump. It's definitely something I miss about being Horde.

In other news, killed me some Iron Qon and Twin Consorts tonight. Qon took... 7 attempts, and we one shot Consorts. WELP. Yeah though Consorts were easy as fuck. Iron Qon was really fun though, really dig that fight.

So then we took some stabs on Lei Shen. Oh boy, we are in for a bumpy ride. We've gotten Phase 1 down pretty good, but the Transition comes and everything goes to shit. Gonna have to look for tips on handling that part. Fucking cool fight though so far. Damn.

I dunno. On top of that troll tower there's a small spot where I can literally access my bank, guild bank and auction house without moving.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Oh man, Elvui... Well played.

I lol'd. I wonder what blizzard is doing today.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

I dunno. On top of that troll tower there's a small spot where I can literally access my bank, guild bank and auction house without moving.

You make a good argument. BUT, does your Troll Tower have:

Repairs!
    An Inn!
    General Goods!
    Forge and Anvil!

And a very special guest, Warchief Nominee 2013, Basic Campfire?

I think not.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    There's an inn downstairs, no clue about repairs, my bank alt is level 1 so it's not like he needs it; ditto with the forge and anvil. General goods, yes.

Can you lock your xp at level 1? I would consider moving my bank alt to Thunder Bluff, but if I get him to level 2 I'll have to totally make him over again. EDIT: I mean, 'discovering' Thunder Bluff might give him enough xp to level and no.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    You should be able to lock your xp at 1, I haven't tried it yet though

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    The Dude With Herpes has been kidnapped by Lorahalo and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I make my money through ONOMONOPEIA!
    I drink that shit up like fresh sangria
    Is that enough to FILL YA?
    Now quiet you’re interrupting my animes.
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, the ElvUI thing was amusing, also sort of creepy in that I shouted something to zone.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Sweet, four levels in Hellfire: 17 Mining skill ups, 78 Herbalisim. I think they need to increase mining node spawns or give my alt a way to deathtouch 90s. >.>

Which is the best Horde town for eggs? The Draenei one is great for Alliance.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I think it's called falconwing square? The hub for blood elves. You can basically do circles (one larger circle on the fence, then one around the fountain).

Nobody on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Ishtaar has been kidnapped by Naphtali and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I'm BIG and RED and smell like dog buns
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I think it's called falconwing square? The hub for blood elves. You can basically do circles (one larger circle on the fence, then one around the fountain).

This is the place to farm if you are horde and have time to waste
    I did over 500 eggs on my priest last year just for the mount in less than 90 minutes

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Wait what eggs?

Also my Druid hit 90, and between crafted pvp set, a 476 glove and 496 chest I made, sha boots and just buying a pvp ring I was able to get into vaults lfr instantly. No heroics required.

Now I need to get him to the island to get some coins. Those solo scenarios suck as resto/balance. I've only done the first one so far but damn is it slow and painful.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Tried leveling Leatherworking from scratch this weekend. Yeah, not gonna happen on a low-pop faction server. I really hope they either make professions account wide, make secondary professions universal (so all characters have them), make auction houses battlegroup-wide or something.

Also, do to all other professions what was done for Cooking - most current material levels everything start to finish. Requiring literally thousands of old world mats to make useless things just to get to the point where you can use all of the current expansion's goods is beyond silly.

• Options
    Nobody has been kidnapped by Brainleech and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

I have always been here, the most excellent of HOSTS
    But please don't talk to me, I don't respond to posts
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    At this point I'm fairly convinced Bottle of Stars does not exist. I hate you Elegon.

Ah well, at least we got most of the MV achievements last night (except the last one which is stupid)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So apparently Noblegarden doesn't begin until 1pm. That would explain why I haven't even seen a single egg. Heh, I just wanted to get my rabbit polymorph out of the way.

Invisible on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really 13:00 Pst?
    Is there anything new this year though?

• Options
    I've never seen Bottle of Stars on any of my characters' numerous runs through MSV. Not once.

So, I was putzing around on my lowest of lowbie alts when I get one of the typical out-of-the-blue random guild invites, but this one was different. It was from a guild that was once one of our server's largest and most progressed Horde guilds. I even recognized the name of the person who sent the auto-join invite, and it pained me. This was one of the notorious hardcore 'raid or gtfo' guilds from back in the vanilla days, all the way through as recently as Cataclysm.

It really got me thinking just how many people are actively raiding these days. I don't mean LFR either, I mean organized guild raiding. In Vanilla and TBC you walked around your main cities and you could get a decent gauge on how well your population was doing. Bunch of dudes decked out in purples? Lots of raiding happening. The same really held true through the end of Wrath, tons of people in raid gear (though in fairness, in 3.2 and 3.3 you could acquire tier sets without raiding, but still). In Cata I saw a sharp decline of people sporting raid-acquired gear. Lots more people in dungeon blues. Now, with Transmog, it's harder to tell unless you inspect people, but I don't see nearly the amount of folks in current raid gear as I used to. Lots of dungeon blues, lots of transmogged sets, very few T14/T15 pieces.

Now, maybe that's just perception and transmog obscuring the facts, but I'm not so certain. Cory Stockton (lead content designer) gave a talk at GDC this past week, and according to him, only 342 players have achieved the 'Glory of the Pandaria Raider' achievement as of February. So, in five months, only 342 people have managed to clear the first tier's worth of raid achievements. Sure, that's not an exact science for determining the number of currently-raiding players, but I feel like it's a pretty good gauge. That just seems like a much smaller number than there used to be. In Wrath I saw tons of plauged/black drakes, quite a few rusted/ironbound drakes and boatloads of Frostwyrms. In Cata, I saw far fewer...what were they, stone drakes? (X) Wind Drakes? I don't even remember. But they were there. I've seen numerous Flamehawks from the Firelands achievements and quite a few of the DS drakes. I've seen zero of the raiding Cloud Serpents, and we're a medium pop server (mostly alliance, but still).

End of the day though, it just feels like fewer people are raiding.

• Options
    That's because Heart of Fear is a POS. They overtuned the hell out of it and most guilds were stuck in there until this patch.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Level 78 on my disc priest. I swore I was going Holy but dungeons go by so much faster as Disc ... and now I'm debating about just STAYING disc forever. I LIKED AoE Green healing though T_T

Still not sure when Shadow becomes better than disc for questing. In Northrend and it still feels about even in kill speed thanks to penance and 5 stacks of evangelism.

• Options
    Supposedly all of the raids were tuned higher than previous expansions, due exclusively to the existence of LFR, according to Blizzard. They said that they feel like since LFR can be the sort of low-bar barrier of entry to content, Normal mode raids can skew higher on the difficulty charts.

Personally I think that's a mistake, as with that theory you're basically only assuming there are two groups of players, super-casual 'I play while watching television' and the hardcore raiders. There are various gradients of skill levels between those two extremes. I don't expect every single one to be catered to, but to only focus on the aforementioned two, you're going to frustrate a large number of folks. I suspect they're already seeing that, especially if these numbers remain as (apparently) low as they are.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Supposedly all of the raids were tuned higher than previous expansions, due exclusively to the existence of LFR, according to Blizzard. They said that they feel like since LFR can be the sort of low-bar barrier of entry to content, Normal mode raids can skew higher on the difficulty charts.

Personally I think that's a mistake, as with that theory you're basically only assuming there are two groups of players, super-casual 'I play while watching television' and the hardcore raiders. There are various gradients of skill levels between those two extremes. I don't expect every single one to be catered to, but to only focus on the aforementioned two, you're going to frustrate a large number of folks. I suspect they're already seeing that, especially if these numbers remain as (apparently) low as they are.

While Blizzard did say that was their reason, I'd say it has less to do with LFR than with Blizzard trying to cater to the wannabe hardcore crowd.

Nobody on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Remember all those complaints about how trivial raiding was, and the cheapening of accomplishments and whatnot? Well, the response was "we're going to make this harder, force everyone to progress linearly, and remove accessible purples".

Worked out great, I'd say!

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    You can still get the PVP epics relatively easily, more so since 5.2 appeared.

• Options
    Fairchild has been rescued by Blendtec.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    You can still get the PVP epics relatively easily, more so since 5.2 appeared.

PvP epics suck tho :)

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »

While Blizzard did say that was their reason, I'd say it has less to do with LFR than with Blizzard trying to cater to the wannabe hardcore crowd.

I see two very big positives from raiding this expansion:

1) more mechanics fights and fewer DPS/Healing checks
    2) slight nerfing previous content to help close the gear gaps, but not enough to make it trivial

I don't see a problem with the fights being difficult. I just hate realizing how little some of my tanks and healers really know with regards to mechanics type fights. :(

I would not mind seeing a nerf on some of the trash because most of the raids in our guild are losing valuable boss time by having to deal with it. For example, our 10M raids ~3h twice a week; and we lose close to 40 mins on Jin-rokh -> Horri trash.

• Options
    I just wish they could design mechanic based fights without forcing everyone to move constantly forever. It's a real kick in the balls as a mage since my movement dps consists of spamming a spell that hits like 15k, while our warlock gets to use his entire arsenal while on the run.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

???

Almost every single fight in HoF had an insanely tight enrage timer. That is a DPS/healing check if I've ever seen one :P

• Options
    Halfmex has been kidnapped by The Dude With Herpes and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

A nickname would be Khool
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    Speaking of HOF, I hate the fact that TOES is still locked behind it. The fights in TOES felt like a reward for slogging through HOF for months on end.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

???

Almost every single fight in HoF had an insanely tight enrage timer. That is a DPS/healing check if I've ever seen one :P

There's no fights like Patchwerk or Ultraxion though. Super simple mechanics that anyone can do in their sleep with high health and a tight enrage. That's a DPS check. A fight with mechanics that has a tight enrage is a mix of a DPS check and a mechanic test, like Garalon. Maxing damage while on the move was essential to not hitting the enrage on that fight.

The closest we have to a Patch/Ultraxion fight is I guess Jin'rokh? He's pretty fucking simple.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    You could argue that Gara'jal was a DPS check as well since it was nukenukenukenuke totem nukenukenuke button nukenukenukenuke

We are still working on attendance so we can push through Horridon in T15 so I can't tell you anything about ToT fights. Jin'rokh is a passive DPS check because of the buff, but if your DPS in a 10M can't get above 100k with that huge buff, you're going to have problems further along.

• Options
    Dibby has been kidnapped by Halfmex and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

This is not a romantic coupling
    though I'm in a PAIR
    My GAMES bring many happiness
    though I am known for my DESPAIR
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    Megaera is a pretty big DPS check I guess. Not much to that fight, mechanically, if you ignore the frost head (which seems to be the most common strategy) beyond not dying during the transitions. I'd say it's more a test of your healers and overall raid cooldown management than a DPS check though.

Primordius is around the same vein as Garalon. Simple mechanic that you need to use while maximizing DPS or you'll hit the enrage.

The biggest difference is that they are DPS checks but not GEAR checks. If you are progressing on the fights, if you got the mechanics down then your DPS will go up and you won't enrage. It's not a case of not having enough gear. I mean, we 3 healed Consorts (Hoping to get a feel for the fight, we had 30 minutes left in the night) and got it on the second attempt with around 20 seconds left on enrage. You could easily 2 heal that fight, we were just testing the waters to see how it all went down, expecting to hop into it later.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wow, when did they drop the skill trees? I'm not sure if I'm happy with that yet (only level 29) but it certainly makes things easier.