As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] Mists of Pandaria. I farmed up 150 Pieces of Meat and all I got was this lousy belt.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    The talent trees? Yeah those have been gone for a little while. You get a new talent every 15 levels now, from a choice of 3. Some talents are absolutely amazing (Bloodbath is so good) while some are complete rubbish (Check out every single level 90 mage talent)

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Invisible has been kidnapped by Yukira and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

A nickname would be Khool
    Which forumer am I?

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Wow, when did they drop the skill trees? I'm not sure if I'm happy with that yet (only level 29) but it certainly makes things easier.
    The new talent trees were introduced with MoP. It's been the subject of some controversy. Personally I think it's a great change because it eschews the more granular talent choices like "+5% dodge" or "+30% chance to gain an extra combo point", those become innate to your class/spec, in favor of the more 'meaty' choices of which new abilities you enjoy.

Some of the choices in each tier are better than others, but their goal is for every tier to be a tough call rather than there being a clear winner for each. They've had some success there, but there's still a long way to go.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    so the egg hunt is pretty fun with crz

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    With MoP.

I honestly haven't missed talent trees at all. The talents ever 15 work fine and are (usually anyway) actual choices that gave tradeoffs instead of "one more talent for 1% more chance to hit" or something arbitrary.

The only thing that bugs me, and it doesn't really relate to the talent tree, is some class/specs they have really stupid gaps without any useful skills. Prot pally, for instance, doesn't get any hopo spender (aside from word of glory) till 40. So it's just a lot of crusader strikes and then....yep.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Oh man, I didn't even think of that. I'm glad I have no reason to do that this year (or ever again really)!

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Oh man, I didn't even think of that. I'm glad I have no reason to do that this year (or ever again really)!

Oh God... so glad I don't have to do that

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Wow, when did they drop the skill trees? I'm not sure if I'm happy with that yet (only level 29) but it certainly makes things easier.
    The new talent trees were introduced with MoP. It's been the subject of some controversy. Personally I think it's a great change because it eschews the more granular talent choices like "+5% dodge" or "+30% chance to gain an extra combo point", those become innate to your class/spec, in favor of the more 'meaty' choices of which new abilities you enjoy.

Some of the choices in each tier are better than others, but their goal is for every tier to be a tough call rather than there being a clear winner for each. They've had some success there, but there's still a long way to go.

One of the best parts of MISTS is the new Talent trees.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm pretty indifferent about it so far. I like the options they give you a lot more than what Diablo 3 did from Diablo 2, so it's not too big of a deal. It was just a shock when I turned 10 and didn't see anything to put into my trees.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You can now tweak your builds for every boss fight in a raid (for example). While some may not like that level of tweaking, I'm loving it because I can tailor my talents to the specific design of a given fight (e.g. more burst for bosses with short "stun" phases, etc). It also takes a lot of the stress out of leveling because there are fewer talents to worry about, and you can swap them nearly at will with a vendor item.

(BTW I've sold those Tomes on the AH for as high as 14g a piece because some people can't bother to fly to a vendor, or mount their Mammoths)

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    The egg hunt was pretty crazy with CRZ. I managed to get 100 for my rabbit polymorph tome in about an hour. I've already completed all the achievements and have the mount so fortunately I don't have to deal with any of that anymore.

In the process of getting those 100 eggs I also got 2 spring rabbits, 1 tuxedo shirt, 1 tuxedo pants, 2 elegant dresses, 1 sprig of spring and... 1 Swift Springstrider. Which I'll attempt to sell since I already got it last year.

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You can now tweak your builds for every boss fight in a raid (for example). While some may not like that level of tweaking, I'm loving it because I can tailor my talents to the specific design of a given fight (e.g. more burst for bosses with short "stun" phases, etc). It also takes a lot of the stress out of leveling because there are fewer talents to worry about, and you can swap them nearly at will with a vendor item.

(BTW I've sold those Tomes on the AH for as high as 14g a piece because some people can't bother to fly to a vendor, or mount their Mammoths)

First rule of games: Anything that's not banned is required. So no, you don't have to change your talents for every boss... as long as you don't mind being terrible. :\ (Sometimes it's unusually dumb, which you find out taking Halo to Elegon.)

So is blizzards april fools this year that they aren't doing april fools?

Or do they think that the sheer amount of dailies and factions in MoP sufficed?

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So is blizzards april fools this year that they aren't doing april fools?

Or do they think that the sheer amount of dailies and factions in MoP sufficed?

There is a decent one for StarCraft 2. They replaced all the worker units with some unit from the beta.

Otherwise, all I've seen is the dumb crab helper thing.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    "We are too busy working on the next expansion"
    "..........ok we can't stop laughing, either, when we say that"

edited April 2013
    I wish they resurrected the Crabby account on Twitter though. I loved that account.

Mugsley on
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I wish they resurrected the Crabby account on Twitter though. I loved that account.

As evidenced by my icon, I love Crabby. (I am also occasionally a crabby asshole with people who have trouble nagivating a patch of fire in an otherwise empty room.)

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    I'm just upset they didn't do April Fool's patch notes this year. Those are fuckin' hilarious.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    My favorite was the one where they added like "lol" and "ROFL" to the end of real patch notes; I'm pretty sure I have those notes saved somewhere. I think that year they did a similar thing with peoples posts on the forums.

And people freaked the fuck out about it being a 'slap in the face' because of nerfs or something.

And then they did the RP posts on the forums, that made the whiners look like idiots. Posts that were supposed to be "I don't like this, it isn't funny" ended up as "I don't like this, as I brandished my sword and shield, 'tis not funny"

It was pretty awesome.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I wonder why they don't recycle some of those. It's not like they have to do something with a lot of work like the Archivist every year.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I think its pretty obivious what their April Fool's Day joke is anyway. Its Hearthstone.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am getting around the end of the Jade Forest quest line.
    The Horde and the Alliance just had to mess up the balance, didn't they? Pretty epic way to end a zone.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I find sometimes I wish there was a third faction dedicated to killing the horde and the alliance since they're both a pack of colossal assholes.

I spent the day off today levelling my mage; I have never ever played a caster in pretty much any game because I'm not one for being so squishy. I'd rather spend my time getting punched in the head or you know, standing toe to toe with whatever and just my 6' sword between us. It's not so bad, and well, I had about 12k justice across three chars that I really needed to spend. There just wasn't anything else to buy so all cloth it is. I haven't figured out if there's some magic to it, (ha ha) but I generally just sit there blasting away with arcane explosion until I have 4 stacks then popping uh, missles I guess then the other big one that does a multi shot dealie then start building stacks again. It feels odd to be so squishy and not have a pet (I'm going arcane, simply because it looks cooler to me) but it does seem to work ok. If nothing else, a female night elf in black mageweave looks just as tarty as ever.

Levelling via the LFD thing is 2 parts hilarious, 3 parts weird. I often will come out of a dungeon and find all my quests are now green or grey. The queue is only about 3 minutes at the moment, so I generally spend more time deleting quests then I do finishing them. I actually ran Andorhol's quests just to see how that played out but it never really tells you (as an alliance player) what the hell happened to Koltira, which is kinda annoying. The general populace isn't so bad, I do come across some real winners though. There was a particularly mouthy dps today that got told; 'if this group is so bad, then bail out, wait the 30 minutes - because there's a lineup of more than a thousand people who could be in here instead of you.'

I actually *did* Gnomeregan for the first time since retail beta which was quite a trip - I mean, I knew where shit was even but it was sort of sad that the punch cards didn't work, and you always come in via the front door since you get summoned. Same goes for Uldaman - the last time I faced Archaedas in a level appropriate group was the first couple weeks of retail. I remember the 5 of us listening intently to the titan artifact explaining where dwarves and troggs come from and being totally mesmerized by it. Ditto for the little city with the sceptre to open Ironaya's door. Sadly, you aren't funneled into the Lost Vik..er dwarves area to get it anymore, you just click the little house.

Mauradon is pretty godddamn weird, with one queue taking you through all of two bosses in the purple area and the orange area and Princess area being separate queues; hell, you don't even kill the gnome or the giant croc this way.

Stratholme we had two purplz drop; zomg - we got some purple plate boots off the well, whoever. A rogue rolls on them against the tank with the thinking that they'll only last two hours anyway. So what the hell are you going to do with them genius? Try to sell them for ... what? They look like ass and are itemized like shit. Then off Balnazaar, he drops an offhand book that the tank then rolls on out of spite, wins and leaves the group. This group in particular were winners all around, with the healer being a paladin all in mail (no healing plate heirlooms) who managed to go the wrong way a few times getting us killed, or the dps who after that wipe came back, re-aggro'd a boss and got us all killed - again.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I feel your pain, Nosf. I normally just stick to questing to avoid that nonsense. I tried to level my freshly-dinged 80 Goblin Mage last night, stepping into Hyjal, I promptly got crushed by the elementals with my 18k HP versus their 30k. They really need to smooth out that 80-81 transition because it's brutal on undergeared characters. MoP addresses this somewhat by providing vendors in each zone who sell quest-equivalent greens, but the prices seem pretty steep if you're starting fresh.

On another note, I'm looking at this latest build for 5.3 and I'm just wondering...what content are we looking at, here? Four scenarios? 5.1 had a faction/dailies as well as additional scenarios (two, I think?) with a solid storyline boost. This seems to offer just the scenarios and storyline progression, but not much else. Couple of Brawler's Guild bosses? Just seems really light, even for a non-raid patch. Don't get me wrong, I realize 5.2 was arguably their largest non-expansion patch in some time (perhaps ever), but if 5.3 ends up being anemic, that could mean a bit of a dry spell for those people wanting more outside of ToT raiding.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there'll be more meat to the patch added to the PTR in later builds.

Edit: Re-reading this, it may appear as though I'm lamenting the lack of dailies. Not at all the case. Just wondering why the patch seems a little thin at the moment.

Halfmex on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It isn't so bad to be honest, I mean, I ran a lot of dungeons and you get a blue something or other each time. Near as I can tell, it's something you already have or an heirloom slot 90% of the time, but hey, the thought is there. If nothing else, I have a metric ton of blue shards for enchanting which was pretty handy.

It sounds like 5.3 will land a lot faster, and it does have some nice features even if triple spec doesn't make it. I think what I'd like to see is maybe the ability to do less dailies but say, miss out on cash and get your rep, or lots of them for less rep but for cash as they have now.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I feel your pain, Nosf. I normally just stick to questing to avoid that nonsense. I tried to level my freshly-dinged 80 Goblin Mage last night, stepping into Hyjal, I promptly got crushed by the elementals with my 18k HP versus their 30k. They really need to smooth out that 80-81 transition because it's brutal on undergeared characters. MoP addresses this somewhat by providing vendors in each zone who sell quest-equivalent greens, but the prices seem pretty steep if you're starting fresh. On another note, I'm looking at this latest build for 5.3 and I'm just wondering...what content are we looking at, here? Four scenarios? 5.1 had a faction/dailies as well as additional scenarios (two, I think?) with a solid storyline boost. This seems to offer just the scenarios and storyline progression, but not much else. Couple of Brawler's Guild bosses? Just seems really light, even for a non-raid patch. Don't get me wrong, I realize 5.2 was arguably their largest non-expansion patch in some time (perhaps ever), but if 5.3 ends up being anemic, that could mean a bit of a dry spell for those people wanting more outside of ToT raiding. Hopefully I'm wrong and there'll be more meat to the patch added to the PTR in later builds. Edit: Re-reading this, it may appear as though I'm lamenting the lack of dailies. Not at all the case. Just wondering why the patch seems a little thin at the moment.

That was my experience, too. My mage went into Heeeejal as Frost and got his little Gnome butt kicked by the first elemental pull. After rezzing I switched him to Arcane, which was just enough to win the DPS contest. Of course this was at Cataclysm launch when Frost was noticeably weak, but still your point is well taken.

The silly thing is they put in a whole bunch of 232 greens that would have otherwise been fine to get people going in the Cata zones without needing to resort to the AH with its absurd prices on cata greens, or suffer weakness for awhile in the zones..

But they are only on characters created via the scrolls or whatever that jump you right to 80, and you can't get them otherwise.

But yeah, they need green gear vendors at least at 60, 70, and 80. 60 isn't that big of a deal, if you have heirlooms neither is 70, but it can otherwise be a rough jump, and 80 for cata zones is just brutal.

I should also add that Half was wise to not start in Vash'jir, where there are many, many more mobs to fight in a smaller space and a long way to go before you even reach a safe resting place with a FP.

Hmm...to brave monday night LFR or not...

edited April 2013
    Awww shit, had an extra raid night today just to work on Lei Shen. Killed him! And he dropped double mail. Agi/Int mail. Yknow, not like an amazeballs trinket or anything. Nope. Sighhhh. He's on farm now at least.

Pretty cool though, gonna be starting heroics this week. Pumped for that.

Fake Edit: Forgot to add, Lei Shen is hands down my favorite fight this tier. It's just... Wow. Really amazing fight and has some stunning visuals. The Transition phases were definitely the most difficult parts of the fight, for sure.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Lei Shen would be fantastic if it weren't for how random the transitions are. If they were a bit more consistent, it'd be an amazing fight. As it is, you have a chance to get 2 add balls and a static shock all going off within 3 seconds of each other. If I weren't amazing at aiming my blink/our hunter wasn't amazing at aiming his disengage, we'd have died a lot.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It doesn't feel like that fight is working quite correctly, to me. Like a couple weeks from now we'll see a patch note that's like "Lei Shen will no longer use static shock twice in quick succession at the end of a phase transition" or something.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well killed on of the rare spawns on the isle that drops the green fire book
    And he droped everything but that I got the key for the loot game show run but I don't think I will be able to pull that off as a warlock

And yes I think the reason people grind out ot exalted and never go back is those dailies take far too long

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Awww shit, had an extra raid night today just to work on Lei Shen. Killed him! And he dropped double mail. Agi/Int mail. Yknow, not like an amazeballs trinket or anything. Nope. Sighhhh. He's on farm now at least.

Fake Edit: Forgot to add, Lei Shen is hands down my favorite fight this tier. It's just... Wow. Really amazing fight and has some stunning visuals. The Transition phases were definitely the most difficult parts of the fight, for sure.

What trinket are you after? I got the chalice off of him on our first kill, and was underwhelmed (the proc was ~1% of my healing). Hopefully, the buff improves that.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Zython wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »

What trinket are you after? I got the chalice off of him on our first kill, and was underwhelmed (the proc was ~1% of my healing). Hopefully, the buff improves that.

Myself, Soul Barrier or Rune of Re-Origination (for my dps offspec). But I was more so hoping for Unerring Vision to drop for one of our casters. We have a Shadow Priest, a Boomkin, a Fire Mage, and a Warlock. So, BiS for pretty much all of dems.

DNiDlnb.png
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    And yes I think the reason people grind out ot exalted and never go back is those dailies take far too long

If your server doesn't see a lot of PvP, the pvp dailies are super fast.

I think that is what most of the horde do
    I just have gone three times to the island and find it rather boring

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I'm half way through revered and I couldn't give a fuck about the place any more.

I am just going for a vain chance at the green fire book
    Can you plant your way for rep for them?