As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm looking for a comic artist that knows black, urban culture.

SkySky Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Graphic Violence
If you look in the Writer's section, I've been posting my story "A Gang of Daggers."

Now, I would like to approach a comic book artist and turn the story into a comic, leave it kind of in the artist's hands. But I want to make the setting inner-city, poor, ghetto, black high school full of violence and gangs. I'm not that familiar with the setting, hence the need.

Also, I'm curious to see how the artist could take the concept of weapons and armor and "bling" the items.

Anybody know of an artist/company I could send a note to?

Thanks.

Sky on

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't foresee this ending well at all.

Also your idea is terrible

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    This is better fitted for the questions thread.

But Damion Scott comes to mind. Although he's kind of big time so no chance for you

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    bart%20scared.gif

Oh God! Not another one...!

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If you don't plan on paying for the artwork you will get nobody.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    Sky wrote: »
    Now, I would like to approach a comic book artist and turn the story into a comic, leave it kind of in the artist's hands. But I want to make the setting inner-city, poor, ghetto, black high school full of violence and gangs. I'm not that familiar with the setting, hence the need.

If you're not familiar with the setting, quit now. You won't do anything right.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also: Learn how to write better.

I've seen some of your story, and you have quite a way to go before even thinking about transitioning into a drastically different style of writing.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Reggie?

...Reggie Hudlin?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=2627451#post2627451

apparently, he wants to make it into everything.

he has a lot of faith in his piece of shit story.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bale, Reggie's a writer, not an artist. Also, he's busy as fuck, so no dice there either. I'd be offended that he's the first person you think of, except he does work for BET, so it can't be helped.

Seriously, you don't need to know much about such things to draw fictionalized versions of them. Example: virtually every pop culture version of inner city "troubled" schools. Just have your artist watch Lean on Me or Dangerous Minds and you'll be more or less on par with what you'd generally see in comics anyway (I'm looking at you, NYX).

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'd be more offended that the first thing he thinks of with black people in the past is blinged out armor.

I mean, come on.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I like that the transition to comics puts it in a completely different setting he can't write.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    No. He can't write, in general.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Bale, Reggie's a writer, not an artist. Also, he's busy as fuck, so no dice there either. I'd be offended that he's the first person you think of, except he does work for BET, so it can't be helped.

Seriously, you don't need to know much about such things to draw fictionalized versions of them. Example: virtually every pop culture version of inner city "troubled" schools. Just have your artist watch Lean on Me or Dangerous Minds and you'll be more or less on par with what you'd generally see in comics anyway (I'm looking at you, NYX).

You misunderstood me

I was jokingly asking the OP if he was Reggie Hudlin.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

You misunderstood me

I was jokingly asking the OP if he was Reggie Hudlin.

Ah, I get it then. I am not amused.
    Yes I am. :P

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No. He can't write, in general.

Jesus, did he rape your dog or something? You're spending a lot of time bad-mouthing this guy, in here and the g&t thread. Calm down.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Look, he joined to just whore out his terrible story.

Then he makes posts everywhere about his terrible story.

That is slightly irritating.

Plus, blinged out armor

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    TLB we are as one in this.

as one

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Look, I'm not saying I think his stuff is good, I just think that 4..maybe 5 posts shitting all over him is fine. You've got like 7, and that's just too far mister!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Plus, blinged out armor

Hey, don't knock the armor bling. Besides looking pretty fly, iced out chrome spinners on your bullet-proof vest reflect light in a dazzling and disorienting manner, causing your enemies to shoot badly. And those big platinum medallions with all the diamonds? Motherfuckers stop bullets from hitting your aorta.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Plus, blinged out armor
    Actually, I joined because I'm nervous as fuck about if my story is any good. I have not been receiving criticism, so I have resorted to "whoring out" my story to get feedback and see how I can improve where I need to.

Also, I have been a PA fan for years (even sending Tycho emails with ideas for the first and second PAX, which he did respond and thank me for). And since I enjoy Tycho's writing style so much, I figured others would. Since I think his writing is good, I was hoping that you guys could give me a critical review since you guys very likely have a similar taste for good writing (like me).

As for why I want a guy familiar with black culture is exactly that, I want a realistic expression. I want someone who can think like the characters and give a representation for that. The thing is, it would be a better way to express thru artwork, in my opinion, to capture the flavor and dialogue and way people would personalize and style their outfits.

Really, that is the key thing I am thinking of, how would these guys look.

Also, the BIG reason why I want to put the scenario into the urban ghetto is because you have people are considered "the bottom." They are looked down on for many reasons. Now, in this setting, you have people who are at the very bottom of the barrel, the social outcasts, nerds, dorks, etc.

Give these people the chance to come out of their shell, to be considered adults, to get tough, mean, belligerent. I mean, imagine watching a scrawny little kid with glasses become a muscled fighter, and then become a god of war on the battlefield. Then watch that guy come back to his high school and see guys try to push him around. He will violently push back.

A big theme I wanted to focus on is the violence you see exhibited on both worlds.

What is considered bad violence on earth, is considered normal stuff on Adrena. And then on Adrena, violence is very acceptable and encouraged.

But, anyways, back to the original point, I think the audience will be amazed and enjoy watching weak characters grow into powerhouses that are able to manifest their own destinies.

Plus, blinged out armor

Hey, don't knock the armor bling. Besides looking pretty fly, iced out chrome spinners on your bullet-proof vest reflect light in a dazzling and disorienting manner, causing your enemies to shoot badly. And those big platinum medallions with all the diamonds? Motherfuckers stop bullets from hitting your aorta.
    *chuckles*

No guns on Adrena. Using guns draws unwanted attention, and especially makes people want to take the guns from you, and grab you and force you to give up where you got the guns.

I was going to have the limit of the technology be chain mail. Platemail is something beyond the abilities of the people. But since the Dagger has access to earth resources and shops, they will likely eventually pick up such armor, detail it for their own tastes, and use it on Adrena, having a dramatic effect on their opponents.

But that takes things in a new area which I would still need to explore. Hence why I want another head to work with on this.

And thanks for the name drop, by the way.

Sky on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Plus, blinged out armor

the rims would have to be on the horse-shoes.

and that just don't work.

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2007
    Okay, that's enough of whatever it is that you guys are doing.

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.