As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me pick a cosplay idea for my wife!

Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get some advice/ideas from you folks on a topic I'm not too familiar with. Short(ish) version:

My wife will be giving birth to our first child in June. When she recovers we had discussed going to a con together for the first time and cosplaying for the first time. We have never cosplayed before. I already know what character I'm going to be: UDON Taskmaster. For my wife though, I have no idea what to make/suggest.

She is about 5'6, and was about 140 pounds before the pregnancy. Hopefully she will be at/around this size when we are ready to do our con thing. I need ideas that come from any of the above sources; comics, manga, anime, videogames. Her cosplay does NOT have to match mine. I'm a Marvel villain/antihero, she can be a dojinshi character. I don't care.

More important to me, is that the character is not the typical cheesecake/loli/etc/boob physics character. I dont think she'd be comfortable dressing as Psylocke, for example. However, something like this isnt too bad. That's actually my backup idea.

Practical costumes would be a big plus, elaborate costumes would be kind of a minus.

Any ideas or even general cosplay advice would be appreciated.
And so, gentlemen...

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Does she not really have an opinion on it? Its usually more fun if you are a bit engaged in the character.... is there something she would recognize?

• Options
    Well, she is not as nerdy as I am, so she is open to my suggestions on this. She already vetoed a couple ideas, so I know its not like she does not give a crap. It's more of "give me some suggestions and I'll tell you if I like it" kinda thing. She did like the Hawkgirl costume.

She will recognize most mainstream comic/game/manga characters, but she's not quite as involved in geek culture.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I saw a really cool (and subtle) costume last weekend at the ComicCon in St. Louis. The girl was dressed up as one of the early enemies in Bioshock (the name escapes me). She was basically wearing a party dress and a cat shaped masquerade mask while carrying a (fake) lead pipe.

It wasn't over-the-top, boobtastic as some of the costumes typically are, but it's probably not instantly recognizable as your Wonder Women and your Black Cats would be, if that's a concern.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    She can dress up like the princess from Super Mario 2, and your baby can be a radish.

• Options
    I saw a really cool (and subtle) costume last weekend at the ComicCon in St. Louis. The girl was dressed up as one of the early enemies in Bioshock (the name escapes me). She was basically wearing a party dress and a cat shaped masquerade mask while carrying a (fake) lead pipe.

It wasn't over-the-top, boobtastic as some of the costumes typically are, but it's probably not instantly recognizable as your Wonder Women and your Black Cats would be, if that's a concern.

Splicer! Yeah that's a good one. It's going on the list.

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    She can dress up like the princess from Super Mario 2, and your baby can be a radish.

That is so freaking cute I cant even

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

If you do this we might need pictures.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I personally recommend Integra Hellsing.

Novelty cigar is non-optional.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm a fan of Ramona Flowers Cosplay. The pieces are pretty simple:

1) Wig
    2) Goggles
    3) Bag
    4) A few different options of relatively normal street clothing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvWceL5VIdQ

It doesn't have cheesecake/loli/etc/boob, but has blue hair, which is just as good in my book.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I wish I could think of something that would top this for adorableness, but I can't.
    You may have to change your costume idea and go for Fat Italian Plumber though.

• Options
    Thanks for the ideas so far folks.

And yes, the Princess/Radish idea is amazing. However, there is the possibility that we may or may not be able to bring the baby, because of other factors. So, I'd like to continue to ask for ideas, as a backup in case we end up not being able to use the Princess/Radish idea.

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    You could be the radish.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    You could be the radish.

Man, in my head this came off way creepier than it ought to have

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    She could be a Big Daddy from Bioshock and you could be a Little Sister.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Earth 16 Lex Luthor and Mercy?

I'm assuming you're willing to shave your head, and can fashion a bad ass arm cannon to fit around your wife. Plus you can recycle your clothes into your work wardrobe.

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Is she into Doctor Who at all? Because I saw the most amazing Dalek costume. It involved plastic bowls being sewed onto a skirt (with some kind of rigging underneath to keep it "cone-like") as Dalek bumps. And a headlamp (like hikers use) on her head.

I also saw an amazing TARDIS costume.

LadyM on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Everyone likes something geeky even if it is just something they were fond of as a child, like Hello Kitty. Best if she chooses a costume that means something to her rather than just looks cool, or else she will get the embarrassment of someone coming up and saying "OMG Hawkgirl! My favourite character too! What did you think of what they did to her in issue 1197 of the Justice League?"

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

If you do this we WILL need pictures.

Fixed that.

I would say, perhaps why not Rosalina (your wife) and a Luma (baby)?

On the same idea, maybe Daisy (wife) and Luigi (you)? There are a lot of couple ideas that you can draw on. I would suggest Link and Zelda, but I don't think I've seen a Zelda dress that wouldn't take three or four months worth of work to make...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I would suggest Link and Zelda, but I don't think I've seen a Zelda dress that wouldn't take three or four months worth of work to make...

Maybe a spoiler if you haven't played Zelda - Wind Waker, if so, skip over this.
    Could do Tetra from Wind Waker, it'd be the easist for Zelda.

cookiekrush on
    Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    You didn't mention her hair color in the op, but one of my favorite non-cheesecake anime characters is Julia from Cowboy Bebop. The only problem with it would be if she doesn't have long blonde hair, then the costume's not very recognizable (and even if she does, she'll probably have to tell people who she's dressed as).

Zoe Washburne from Firefly is a great one, and probably much more instantly recognizable among fans. Also would require a little more work, but not all that much (the leather choker thing, a leather vest, and a holster would the big things to sell it.)

There's also Starbuck from BSG. It's a pretty simple costume if you're not going for her flight suit, but again being blonde would help on this one since the costume itself is not so distinctive.

Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku (manga and anime) is probably the easiest cosplay ever for a long-haired brunette. Blue jeans, a shirt of any description, and an apron that says "piyo piyo" and has a chick on it. You used to be able to buy such aprons from Japanese online shops, but even if you can't an yellow apron should be pretty easily mocked up to look like that. Maison Ikkoku is kind of obscure though.

Edit: And I can't believe I forgot one of my favorite video games, Portal! Chell is the main character of that game, but she could also put on a turret hoodie and call it a day. :)

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Good morning, and thanks for the continued ideas. Unfortunately due to political reasons(lol) I will not be a radish. But I am thinking of how to make a baby radish costume. Also can't shave my head for health reasons. (bullshit)

In other notes, no, sorry neither of us are Dr. Who fans at all. I know, heresy.

Daisy is a good sub for the Princess Peach idea as well.

@Cambiata: She has sorta brown/auburn hair, she does dye it either dark red or black, depending on mood. Since shes been pregnant she has let it go back to her natural color. Thanks for the ideas as well. I do like Chell also.

I think it's really ironic how I can always think of cool cosplay ideas when I'm not actively trying to come up with something. Also, I'm probably going to stick with Taskmaster, due to the fact that I'd prefer masked cosplay if I'm not a good match for the character in certain aspects. If I was 5 years younger and still had my ponytail Shunsui Kyoraku would have been a snap, but alas things have changed lol.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Iruka has been kidnapped by spool32 and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

In the future I’ll get a HANDLE
    But for now, I’m split in shambles
    So put up your FISTS! I’m rearing for fights
    On hit! Big crits! P.S. that webcomic bites
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Hiryu02 has been kidnapped by see317 and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

You know, I used to love celery
    Til he made a thread how you all want to get with me
    I wanted to ROCKET away and have some fun
    Travel to the LEGEND or PLANET, 3rd rock from the sun
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    LadyM has been kidnapped by JaysonFour and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

When you flip tables, he turns them back over
    He doesn't put up with shit, though he's your favorite uncle.
    I told him that milk puts hair on your chest, I didn't expect him to chug a cow's udder.
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    flowerhoney has been kidnapped by JaysonFour and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

This is not a romantic coupling
    though I'm in a PAIR
    My GAMES bring many happiness
    though I am known for my DESPAIR
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    The Ender has been kidnapped by see317 and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

You know, I used to love celery
    Til he made a thread how you all want to get with me
    I wanted to ROCKET away and have some fun
    Travel to the LEGEND or PLANET, 3rd rock from the sun
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    CelestialBadger has been kidnapped by Le_Goat and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

What do you call one mod yelling in a cave?
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    dresdenphile has been kidnapped by Kamiro and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

My favorite X-Man is GAMBIT
    My favorite Metroid game is chronologically the last.
    And half of me just wants to stab guys in prison!
    Which forumer am I?

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Bald is beautiful.

Cassidy or Moira from the fallout games?

Asami Sato?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Since you'll be having a child soon, I'll give you my sweet idea that, unfortunately, I have not yet been able to put into practice with my wife and daughter.

You dress as James.
    Your wife dresses as Jesse.
    The baby is Meowth.

Team Rocket family!

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    You could be Meowth.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    The only video game character I can think of that had a newborn was Selan from Lufia.

But other VG options: Ada Wong can be more RE6 versus RE4 but is an easy hairstyle. Triss from the Witcher 3 would be cool as well and isn't Triss with the random cut out dress.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    Read this comic, you'll need a pipe, she'll need a robot suit, I'm sure someone makes all that stuff for an infant.