As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scotty's Arting Thread - Updated

ScottyScotty Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Artist's Corner
Started a new one of a kind piece recently.
Something I've always enjoyed sculpting is fantasy pieces based on real creatures that I've twisted into steeds for a rider of some kind.
Here we have the armature started and then another pic with the pose decided and clay being added.
I'll post more in-progress photos as I work on it...thanks for looking! :)

5324_620592147955423_1105743251_n.jpg

521919_622798084401496_847245509_n.jpg

Scotty on

• ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    Now we're getting somewhere! Such a great feeling when a sculpt starts to really pull together. Still MUCH to do, but coming along!

882411_623212611026710_1099601269_o.jpg

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Love these! can't wait to see more! Thanks for posting progress pics, great to see the process.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I agree, this is awesome!

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    scotty, can I bother you to post about the materials and tools you are using these days? I tried to make a sculpey model of a character and it was a failure, but I don't want to give up on it.

Thanks all!
    Iruka, sure can!
    I use Aves Apoxie sculpt a lot these days. (2 part mix) It self-hardens over the course of a few hours. Gives me a window of time to work in, but definitely makes you work fast. I do it in stages, part by part so I don't waste any.
    I still make a wire armature to sculpt over like I do with Sculpey, but I find Aves Apoxie is more durable when hardened.
    Tools, well, I have the usual metal sculpting tools most sculptors have that look kind of like dental instruments, but I use a knife, a toothpick, even just my fingers/fingernails if it'll get the appearance I'm going for. I prefer the wooden kind of tools over the metal ones because they are cheap, and I can carve them into whatever I need at any time.

Here's a photo of wooden tools that most sculptors have, but if you ask any professional out there, they have probably MADE a tool that they always use and guard it like their baby.

Wooden_Sculpting_4df502dbad4a0.jpg

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    We really ought to have a sculpting-stuff thread for tools and tips and things someday.

I really love the concept for this one, Scotty! Is this a commission or just a "because I want to" piece?

• jwaddjwadd Registered User regular
    hah thats how they taught us to do sculpy animation figures when i was taking an art class with the effects team from episodes 1-3

Thanks! :)

TS- I was really into doing the 'rider on fantasy steed' type deal back in the day, and now that my skills have grown, I thought I'd really try pushing the realism a bit more in those types of pieces. I'm working on the rider and gear right now, and plan to paint it, so we'll see how that goes. Hope to put it up for sale when completed.

Jwad- Yeah, pretty much how it's done. :) Of course it's becoming all about CG now with everything, but I like my traditional art.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I think there is always going to be a place for traditional sculpture, even in the cg future. (especially with talented people like you making it happen!)

Let's hope, also, you are very kind!

I painted the ANT part of the piece...I'm definitely happy with how that came out.
    Gotta finish sculpting the rider (not shown) and the base. Gonna use real fabrics and such in this before done...should be cool. :)

537176_624007037613934_8442077_n.jpg

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I really like the little holes/dimples in the thorax and head, it makes a nice texture. They are darker just by shape (lighting) right, you didn't have to paint them darker or something?

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    EDIT: I can't read, apparently. Disregard me.

Looks so nice, Scotty. I've been wondering why the strange pose, though, the whole time I've been following this, with the curved-under abdomen? Is this going to interface in some cool way with the rider?

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    The pitted texture is part of the sculpt. Pretty sure it's just a little easier to see now that it's in color.

squidbunny wrote: »
    Looks so nice, Scotty. I've been wondering why the strange pose, though, the whole time I've been following this, with the curved-under abdomen? Is this going to interface in some cool way with the rider?

ooo, or maybe an ant-fight!

That would be amazing.

header_image_sm.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Whoa, suddenly a bunch of posts! Thank you all! :)

The dimpled texture was done with a pointed tool I use, then I gave the whole thing a wash in diluted black acrylic paint. Once dry, I started brushing over it with the red tones. Careful to add gradients in specific areas that I noticed ants seem to have variations in colour.
    The drawn under abdomen was simply an artistic choice. (sorry to disappoint if I have) I thought it looked much cooler to have the ant appear more on guard. The rider (still working on that, should have a photo tomorrow to show) will be something that I think is fairly simple, but interesting enough to fit with the steed. (I hope)
    Fire ants apparently do this when they sting by grabbing on with the mandibles and then bringing the abdomen around to sting? Perhaps an 'ant fight sculpt' is in order though sometime. ;)

Scotty on
    The 'Rider' for the Ant sculpt.
    Still in progress, but nearly done! (except for the painting) I'm going for the wind-blown look as he travels, whether through a desert or storm.
    From foot to hood he's 2.5" tall.

388594_626251130722858_1404823616_n.jpg

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    This is so cool scotty.

Thanks m3nace!

Here's the finished piece...

This rider comes from a nomadic group who travel around on giant ants. Each ant is painted with the sigil of it's rider/master.
    They ride for life, and should the ant fall, the rider takes his life shortly after in honour of his fallen steed.

644188_626731114008193_1201947088_n.jpg

really gorgeous! I love that it has a "story" behind it, too.

• nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    This is really awesome. I want to ride a giant ant...

Hey thanks Tape and Naki!
    It feels good to have it done, I just made two new armatures for two new different sculpts...we'll see how they go. ;-)

New sculpt! Wire armature done and posed, shapes added in with Apoxie...on we go!

554969_627989183882386_1949054883_n.jpg

• h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
    I will have nightmares tonight.

Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Holy crap, you do not take any breaks, do you?

• jwaddjwadd Registered User regular
    nice man, you have me like 86% motivated to go find my sculpy and wires. Do you know of any good stop motion capture programs floating around these days?

This is looking swell already -- here's hoping you can capture the weird cuteness of jumping spiders up close.

... did this really need a new thread though? The other one's not even off the front page.

header_image_sm.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Nightmares and motivation...nice! Thanks all....nope, no breaks.
    Stop motion programs, I know of none...if you ever find one please let me know, that would something to try. :)
    Squid- Sorry, is there a way to unify this thread with the other now? I just thought separate sculpt/separate thread. Guess I could have a single thread for all my stuffs and just keep changing the OP title? I'll do that from now on. :^:
    Yeah, I hope I can too, might try something a bit different on this one...I have ideas.

Scotty on
    Bulkin' up! The pedipalps on the face are still just wire, but will be what I work on next...coming along!

15090_629103370437634_1556169657_n.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Merged the threads for you. Spider looks nice, dude!

Hey thanks Iruka! Appreciate it! (the merge and the sculpt feedback) :)

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I see these and I'm like "That looks awesome, I should do this--Scotty makes it look easy enough."

Then I'm like "Oh yeah, it's Scotty."

Keep it up man.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    Ha! Thanks Napp!
    Will do!
    Trying something different with this sculpt at the moment...something I've never done before, we'll see how it turns out. Photos when warranted.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Scotty wrote: »
    The drawn under abdomen was simply an artistic choice. (sorry to disappoint if I have) I thought it looked much cooler to have the ant appear more on guard. The rider (still working on that, should have a photo tomorrow to show) will be something that I think is fairly simple, but interesting enough to fit with the steed. (I hope)

Actually, ants will often stand up on their hind four with their abdomen curled through like a massive codpiece when they're fighting. This is so that they'll have their front appendages free to manipulate things or enemies and the abdomen offers a little bit of separation between their enemies and their head and thorax.

Lastly, if the ants are outnumbered and losing, some types will bear down until they explode, spraying their acid blood all over their enemies. Neat, huh?

So, you know, you probably got the idea because you've seen it in nature before.

edited April 2013
    Well cool Metal! Memories of Earth Defence Force flood to mind too. :^:

UPDATE! Things are getting a little...well ok, a LOT hairy as I try out an idea with some faux fur.
    STILL NOT DONE! More to do! New photos when warranted!

528333_629997347014903_1512430579_n.jpg

Scotty on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    He's a proper sort of spider, that he is. Put a little top hat on him and he could be walking down any London street.

Perhaps...perhaps. (hehe)

• SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    Please tell me this spider is going to get a rider too and that you'll set up an Ant vs. Spider battle scene.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Seconded, battle scene would be awesome.

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    Yesss my favorite creature ever
    so adorable