As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

1161718192022»

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Was there information on when PAX East 2014 will be?

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The BCEC lists it as April 11-13.

• mpizzimpizzi Registered User regular
    BCEC Staff Sucked, They wouldn't allow curb side drop off for BYOC so I had to lug gear all the way to the front entrance. This is the last year of the BYOC for me.

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Did you go to the proper place for it? We had a set place for it that was different from last year's position, an it was posted in the BYOC thread.

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
    mpizzi wrote: »
    BCEC Staff Sucked, They wouldn't allow curb side drop off for BYOC so I had to lug gear all the way to the front entrance. This is the last year of the BYOC for me.

This is not the byoc thread.

This is a Q&A thread only.

• CorneliusMayor3CorneliusMayor3 Registered User regular
    Does anyone remember what the words that Jerry and Angeline dueled with at Friday's Q&A?

What a good weekend.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Maybe not the appropriate thread, but it's a Q: What games did Jerry recommend during the mega strip panel? A dice game about building skyscrapers and another? I'm going to see if I can find them around here.

• AzimuthAzimuth Registered User regular
    Maybe not the appropriate thread, but it's a Q: What games did Jerry recommend during the mega strip panel? A dice game about building skyscrapers and another? I'm going to see if I can find them around here.

The first game was just called Skyline. I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Minstrel-9003TTT-Skyline-Board/dp/1938146921

• koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    The BCEC lists it as April 11-13.

Bleh I won't be on break then :/ March is the best time.

• MottsMotts Registered User new member
    It should be up on the site for when pax 2014 will be up. By the way, I had a question for anyone who can answer. There were some specific booths where you could sign up to win stuff and follow also on twitter or facebook. Is there a list of the people who were working at pax to contact at that booth?

The April 11-13th dates are correct as of right now. The website usually doesn't update for the next PAX East until the same-year PAX Prime is over.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    I can confirm the April 11th to 13th Dates for East 2014.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Will a 4 day PAX East ever happen? Does it depend on how Prime rolls out this year?

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
    That's a question better suited to pax_questions@paxsite.com

Unless Robert is reading this thread ;)

• CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    Will a 4 day PAX East ever happen? Does it depend on how Prime rolls out this year?

They were talking about this during one of the Q&A's and said the reason PAX Prime is four days is because Seattle does not have a convention center such as the BCEC and to allow more people to attend, PAX Prime got extended to four days and they don't plan on extending PAX East to four days.

• KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Jonoseel wrote: »

The official word from Khoo is (paraphrasing here) "there currently are no plans to make PAX East 4 days".

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • quirk6quirk6 Registered User regular
    Not sure exactly where to post this question so I'll just do it here. I saw a tabletop game at pax that I didn't get any info for and I'm trying to identify. It was in the expo hall, towards the back, on a corner--not in the tabletop area. It had gorgeous full color minis and a chess-like board with cardboard elements. The people at the booth were already engaged so I didn't talk to them directly but I did overhear them say kickstarter. Anybody know?

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Azimuth wrote: »
    The first game was just called Skyline. I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Minstrel-9003TTT-Skyline-Board/dp/1938146921
    That is the Skyline he was talking about and it is awesome. I've been showing it to people for a few months and everyone loves it. :)

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • iltailta Registered User regular
    quirk6 wrote: »
    Not sure exactly where to post this question so I'll just do it here. I saw a tabletop game at pax that I didn't get any info for and I'm trying to identify. It was in the expo hall, towards the back, on a corner--not in the tabletop area. It had gorgeous full color minis and a chess-like board with cardboard elements. The people at the booth were already engaged so I didn't talk to them directly but I did overhear them say kickstarter. Anybody know?

That doesn't narrow it down a great deal, but based on those hints possibly they were playing DreadBall, which Jerry wrote about during its (ridiculously successful) Kickstarter campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dreadball-the-futuristic-sports-game

Another possibility is OGRE:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers-edition

Can you describe any more of the game? What genre was it? What sorts of pieces were they using? I love me a good mystery. Though if it gets too much back-and-forth we should probably take it to PM so as not to clutter up the thread.

ilta wrote: »

That doesn't narrow it down a great deal, but based on those hints possibly they were playing DreadBall, which Jerry wrote about during its (ridiculously successful) Kickstarter campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dreadball-the-futuristic-sports-game

Can you describe any more of the game? What genre was it? What sorts of pieces were they using? I love me a good mystery. Though if it gets too much back-and-forth we should probably take it to PM so as not to clutter up the thread.

Neither one was it. The minis were chibi-style. Sadly, that's about all I have to offer in addition. It was one of those things that caught my attention, but I walked away only to think of it again later when it was too late. Mostly I was attracted to the minis since clearly I know nothing of its gameplay.

Neither one was it. The minis were chibi-style. Sadly, that's about all I have to offer in addition. It was one of those things that caught my attention, but I walked away only to think of it again later when it was too late. Mostly I was attracted to the minis since clearly I know nothing of its gameplay.

• klzklz Registered User regular

Super Dungeon Explore from the Cool Mini or Not guys? (Note: the minis would come unpainted in the box).
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/super-dungeon-explore-box-game.html

• MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    It was probably Krosmaster Arena, since they were on the Expo floor running demos and have a Kickstarter going: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/370924922/krosmaster-arena-anime-miniatures-board-game?ref=users

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
    Malfeis wrote: »
    It was probably Krosmaster Arena, since they were on the Expo floor running demos and have a Kickstarter going: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/370924922/krosmaster-arena-anime-miniatures-board-game?ref=users

Yes, this was it! Thank you.

• TYFortheVenomTYFortheVenom Registered User new member
    edited April 2013
    Hi, I am from the UK, I have plans on going to PAX East 2014 but i have no idea what it will cost me, roughly how much should i be looking at spending (not including spending money for my swag), i also intend to cosplay as Kog,maw but am useless at making stuff like that so also wondering how much would cost to get a proffessional to make a costume for me.

p.s. this post was moved here.

TYFortheVenom on
  • mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    Well for me I spent around $250 for the 3 day pass, the hotel, and transportation to and from Boston. The 3 day pass was $70 and should be about the same next year. The hotel was $150 but that was split between 5 people and I paid $25 for a round trip bus pass from Philly to Boston. Since your from the UK however your gunna have to spend a lot more for transportation then I did.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Hi, I am from the UK, I have plans on going to PAX East 2014 but i have no idea what it will cost me, roughly how much should i be looking at spending (not including spending money for my swag), i also intend to cosplay as Kog,maw but am useless at making stuff like that so also wondering how much would cost to get a proffessional to make a costume for me.

Figure $1000 for airfare (that's probably high), then $200/night for hotel (this is before you split the costs with however you stay with), then $20-100/day for food. Plus the cost of the PAX badge.

I'd guess that getting a Kog'maw costume made will cost you between $1000 and $15,000. A "perfect" professional costume of him would likely be much more expensive.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.

Figure $1000 for airfare (that's probably high), then $200/night for hotel (this is before you split the costs with however you stay with), then $20-100/day for food. Plus the cost of the PAX badge.

I'd guess that getting a Kog'maw costume made will cost you between $1000 and $15,000. A "perfect" professional costume of him would likely be much more expensive.

when i looked up flights plus hotels came to roughly £1000-1300 all around food would prob cost me £350 badge about £50. swag about £500 lol and every costume store in my local area said "it looks impossible but give us £x.xx money and we'll try.

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    about the costumes, I would try a cosplay website forum or something to see if you can get it commissioned, costs on that sorta thing will vary by person and craftsmanship. I know my sister charges 3 times what some websites do for similar costumes found online for what she does make (which are all sewing based) but they're not being shipped out of a shady place in china with cheap materials like they are...

I am going to recommend cosplay.com to start and I fully realize that a mod may remove the link, though its not self-promotion (so i'm not sure where that stands exactly in the rules).

about the cost, I went in with a room share and another thread for that will likely come up later this year when 2014 registration opens up, i ended up paying 220 for sharing a room at the seaport for fri-sunday and i shared a different hotel on the outskirts for thursday since i drove in and it was 80/night (split 3 ways, after taxes/fees). Few hundred spent in food and merch easy...and i was conservative for the most part, though I did catch an alright seafood dinner at one of the legal restaurants a few streets over one of the nights.

So, if you want to figure 250-300 for hotel if you're flying in thursday or friday, probably ~70 for the pass, 40/day for food if you're eating cheap and getting all 3 meals in, closer to 100/day if you want to have a nice dinner, less if you're skipping breakfast...and then anything else is merch where you can control your spending a bit easier, provided you're able to control your spending when surrounded by everything there...it gets hard. You're at about 700 before merch, not counting flight. If you skip meals, find a cheaper hotel, etc obviously the costs come down quick.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
    Coan wrote: »
    about the cost, I went in with a room share and another thread for that will likely come up later this year when 2014 registration opens up, i ended up paying 220 for sharing a room at the seaport for fri-sunday and i shared a different hotel on the outskirts for thursday since i drove in and it was 80/night (split 3 ways, after taxes/fees). Few hundred spent in food and merch easy...and i was conservative for the most part, though I did catch an alright seafood dinner at one of the legal restaurants a few streets over one of the nights.

So, if you want to figure 250-300 for hotel if you're flying in thursday or friday, probably ~70 for the pass, 40/day for food if you're eating cheap and getting all 3 meals in, closer to 100/day if you want to have a nice dinner, less if you're skipping breakfast...and then anything else is merch where you can control your spending a bit easier, provided you're able to control your spending when surrounded by everything there...it gets hard. You're at about 700 before merch, not counting flight. If you skip meals, find a cheaper hotel, etc obviously the costs come down quick.

I will be staying alone 0 chance of me driving unless i get a big tax refund and then i'd be hiring a bike and as for food.... i'm likely to get kicked out of an all you can eat buffet (don't let my skinny apearance fool you) merch.... yeah that likely to royally screw me.

This discussion has been closed.