As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PvP War Stories

The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
War.

War never changes.

The WoW community wage war to gather honour points and tokens, Goon Swarm built an empire in 0.0 space from their lust of isk and of pissing people off. Through the efforts of some very disciplined guilds, The Midgard faction on Mordred became the one server where Albion did NOT hold dominance.

But war never changes.

This thread is a discussion on player vs player combat

Whether it's a duel, a skirmish, or a full out merciless and bloody war. Do not be shy in sharing with us tales of glory and vengeance unparalleled. Pull up a chair by the fireplace and listen to the stories of old grizzled veterans who come from all walks of life. From giant hulking warriors in full plate to shady hooded figures with shifty eyes and to pale, skinny wizards that cackle with magical energy. And let's not forget the space ship commander who specializes in super laser beam cannons!

So since I started this thread, I'll start off with one of my most memorable pvp gaming moments.

The game was World of Warcraft during the second stress test, I was on the Horde and rolled a Tauren Warrior and brought him up to the 20th level. While I spent some time in pve, it was in pvp that I had the most fun. There were plenty of skirmishes across the barrens, especially near crossroads and ratchet. As well as Booty Bay, the staging point for both Alliance and Horde Invasions. But this one particular battle completely overshadowed all my previous experiences.

At 6pm ish EST on the last day of stress test, the myriad of horde players decided to rally together for one final battle to celebrate the end of both the WoW stress test and hopefully the Alliance Night Elf population. A select few vocal players started recruiting players into raid groups and during the process of organizing the troops, a few messengers flew to Orgrimmar, Thunderbluff and even to the Undercity to recruit more troops for the upcoming campaign.

After an hour of waiting for reinforcements and listening to valourous battlecries consisting of "FOR THE HORDE" or "LETS GO RAID THE NIGHT PUSSIES!" We had accumulated an astounding 3 nearly full 40 man raid groups with a couple dozen non grouped loners. I won't lie to you, my expectations for this raid were rather low since I expected the lag to make all combat a slide show but I decided that spending time with these fine soldiers of fortune would be more entertaining then collecting another batch of 12 murloc livers.

And thus our grand expeditionary force made full charge into contested Ashenvale. Along the way we encountered a few VERY unlucky night elf players who felt the full fury of the horde. Some time passes and we're in Ashenvale itself, with some poor low leveled players being picked off left and right by the high level mobs (High leveled for my character even). This continued until our march was interrupted by the most surprising sight... A night elf army marching to invade the barrens.

When we first spotted each other, both armies stopped right there on the road just eying each other down. We had them outnumbered 2-1 but of course, our numbers aren't easily visible from the road. Made primarily of hunters, the Alliance drew first blood as a few of our lower leveled players began dropping like flies to the mass of arrow fire. Thus, our army charged straight into their formations and bloody battle begins.

I was part of the first wave, consisting primarily of warriors who charged straight into combat against night elf warriors, rogues and hunters. Our ranged and magic classes provided covering fire while our rogues went straight for their clothers and vice versa. While the alliance fought bravely, there was no way they could hope to compete with our sheer numbers and thus, the alliance went on the retreat. For a moment, glorious euphoria enveloped our troops as we gave chase all the way into Astranar.

The battle for Astranar however was short, bloody and nothing short but a massacre. Upon approaching the bridge into the village, a host of night elf guards spawned and drove into our mass like a hot serrated knife through butter. As the expeditionary force began the withdrawal, survivors from the previous massacre descended upon us from the wilderness in hit and run attacks aimed at picking us off and spreading our troops thin. Rather than risk the unholy fury of the NPC guards, I decided to take my chances in the forests with a handful of other like-minded horde warriors. There in the bush and amongst the furbolgs we did battle, we were desperately rushing to get back to our sweet, sweet barrens while ganging up on lone or double alliance players all the while avoiding the main roads until we arrived at the border camp between the Barrens and Ashenvale.

It was here that the raid leaders used what few influence they had left to form a defense at tiny horde camp. However, having been scattered by the guards of Astranar and with dozens of cowards fleeing back to crossroads, the alliance counter attack smashed our hastily prepared defenses apart. Only the intervention of our own low level NPC guards allowed the remnants of our army to retreat back to The Crossroads.

At The Crossroads, the main contingent licked their wounds and regrouped for a final defense. In ones, twos or even half a dozens, the survivors of the slaughter of Ashenvale met up again and our force was almost near full strength. For reasons that we won't learn until later, the Alliance did not attack our town, and indeed no one seemed to be able to locate their main force. That is, until the world defense channel began spamming that Ratchet was under attack! It seems from reports of our scouts that the Night Elf force massacred our token garrison at Ratchet to pave the way for another alliance army! This time populated by Humans and some Dwarves. Our scouts then reported an army that numbers as high as 4 full raid groups at least (Which may just be true due to faction imbalance).

Under direction from our raid commanders, we began forming a defense of The Crossroads. The time before the battle was filled with intense feelings of resoluteness, comraderie and esprit de corps, which was a little embarassing for me at the time to be having these feelings in a video game but there it was. Here were literally hundreds of players such as I preparing to lay down our lives for our virtual lands. There were alot of encouraging talk (In the barrens now less!), buffs being passed around, armchair strategists giving orders, and a truly touching sight of a very low level mage who's combat usefulness is at best a human shield, handing out potions to anyone who would take them. This self sacrifice motivated me to start forging sharpening rocks and handing it out to players to use. A few other big hearted players started forging usable items as well and another low leveled player even volunteered to play combat medic and bandaid injured players in the upcoming battle.

The Alliance force gathered outside our gates at about 11pm and it was very clear that their commanders were doing everything they can to stop players from rushing into town and aggroing the guards. Thankfully, the Alliance had a few too many leroy jenkins and their idiot players rushed out of their formations and aggroed our guards back to alliance positions who then proceeded to hack many players to pieces. Seeing our opportunity, we rushed for great glory and engaged the enemy on the plains of the barrens. The alliance threw everything they had trying to bring down the lvl 40 guards while our own troops went about relatively unmolested taking out their cloth classes and thus we managed to push the numerically superior Alliance forces back into full retreat into Ratchet. Rather than wait for them to consolidate their position and wait for their dead to respawn, we charged head long into battle. Within the streets of the port town, we encountered extremely fierce resistance around the city square. Ranged fighters on roof tops and balconies, traps at doorways, squads hiding behind walls, rogues sneaking behind our lines. It was an epic battle that eventually saw their pitiful number try to scramble out of their hidey holes and evade our death squads to the ratchet-booty bay boat. Before we could chase them to the other side of the planet and ensure their oblivion, doom fell upon our world as the server with a final shutter, died and the stress test was terminated by the uncaring Blizzard gods.

It was this battle that finally convinced me to get World of Warcraft, and for a while it was good. Especially with the advent of honour system turned Azeroth into a place of death and destruction. Unfortunately, the introduction of raid instances and battlegrounds really took the epic battles and even the small man world pvp out which lead to my eventual decision to quit the World of Warcraft.

LuciferSig.jpg
The_Lightbringer on

• Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh maan, see, that's what I got WoW for. The stuff like that. Chaotic as it was, it was pure epic. I've experienced very few massive raids like that, but I can tell you a few good stories.

One: This actually happened in Dark Age of Camelot, and to my girlfriend (who still plays D: ). She was a bard (I think), on the side of the Albions.

Anyway, she's minding her own business, slaying monsters, when suddenly messages start flying around the kingdom that one of the principal Albion keeps holding none other than the Staff of Merlin is about to be attacked by Midgard, on the frontiers. She answered the call, rushing over as fast as she could to defend the keep. The brave people of Albion only amassed around 40 players however, with 30 or so NPC guards. They stood in their keep, expecting an attack to come any moment, watching the horizon.

Then, an army came. An army so huge it was almost unbelievable. Midgard had amassed upwards of 200 men, women and trolls. They brought trebuchets and almost immediately began unfolding them. The Albion milita put out a last desperate call for help before they were surrounded, and then the walls came down. The Midgard forces rushed inside, slaughtering everything in their way, rushing to the top of the tower, and grabbing the Staff from it's sacred resting spot. They then rushed out, slaughtered everyone again, and began to make their way out of the keep. It wasn't much of a fight.

However, as the Midgard forces were streaming out of the keep, triumphant, another army arrived from Hibernia, 100 strong. The Midgard forces, weakened by their attack on the keep, were taken by surprise. Caught off guard, they could only watch helplessly as they were cut down, and the Hibernians ripped the Staff from their bearer and began to carry it off. Meanwhile, the Albion army had rallied. Sallying forth from the Keep in one last heroic effort, they managed to fight their way to the center of the massive battle and take back the relic, bringing the whole thing full circle.

It sounded so awesome :D

I've had some good moments in WoW too. One of my best videogame moments was a 15 man raid on Westfall. It was ridiculously epic, despite it's small size. We were a strike team, clean and simple. We took the tower, were driven out twice, and regrouped at Moonbrook. Then we led an epic mount charge back into town, killing all aliance in our way.

Another really good memory I have isn't PvP related... it was playing on my old Gnome mage (level 11) with all my friends, running around westfall and killing gnolls. Man, that was fun.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some of my Favorite war story's came from WoW around the time that I had a majority of my friends playing.

The Place: War Song Gulch, we had been fighting the alliance for what felt like forever. I on my Shaman, and my friend on his Priest were running around, killing who we could, but this wasn't helping our cause any. We already had 2 flag caps under our belts, but the alliance decided they were not going down with out a fight. For the next 5 min we couldn't do anything, every effort we made to get that flag ended with our whole team back at our grave yard. At this point I'm fed up with these turtling alliance, and so is my friend. But what could we do? I was a Shaman just over the minimum level for the bracket, and he was a holy priest who thought he could smite his way to victory. Then it hit me, I recalled a dastardly tactic told to me by another friend of mine who also played a Priest: Forced Exit. This is not something that most players find fair, or fun at all. I actually got some flack from some people in our WoW forum for doing this, but hey I wanted that win!

I explained what we needed to do to my friend over Vent. I had him hide under the ramp to the Alliance exit to WSG, waiting for me to bring some one over to him. I ran down to the grave yard, trying to be as annoying as passable so as to get people to chase me. Sure enough, after the next push some one managed to kill of a Night Elf Warrior. Once he spawned I frost shocked him and started dancing and doing /chicken, he didn't care for that I guess because he was trying to charge me. I managed to get in range of my Priest buddy, who jumps out from under the ramp and casts Mind Control. Over vent he lets out a loud "AH HA! GOT YOU!" and sure enough, that Night Elf was under his control. He then runs him over to the portal and runs him through. Now, when you do this, it doesn't port him out right away, because he counts as a pet, but as soon as he brakes Mind Control and tries to come back BAM hes ported out of the Battle Ground. Like I said, this is a dastardly tactic, and one people will HATE you over if they ever find you afterwards.

Once we realized it worked, we managed to get about 5 more people in to the portal before the others realized what we were up too. This gave us enough new players on alliance side to throw there coordination out of whack and allow us to snatch the flag and win the game!

That was probably my favorite PVP moment in WoW. Though I would have hated to be on the other end of that tactic. Now I sit and wait for WAR, a game totally geared around killing other players for loot, gold, and experience! Sounds like my kind of game!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That DaoC story screamed epic in every way, shape and form. Wow, I myself never played DaoC and always wondered how the 3 factions fared against each other. I usually hear that Midgard and Hiberia usually have an "understanding" that they'll kill and rip each other to shreds AFTER albion is ground to dust.

And on mindcontrol.

I remember one VERY memorable pvp moment using mind control.

During the time when honour system was first introduced, every contested zone in the world became zones of slaughter and massacre. I have alot of memories of these desperate fights and the endless killings that happened. But during this time, I take pride in being part of one of WoW's infamous Death Squads.

Aside from me, a level 60 Paladin filling in a supportive role as a combat medic...

There was Earthgaya, this battle scarred veteran is the finest sniper in our guild. I once saw this night elf take out 3 horde without any outside help. Trapping one in a freeze trap, then scatter shotting another horde, he then set his pet on the third horde and filled the poor dumb orc's head full of arrows. Then he finished off the dazed horde and then had an easy time with the last horde.

Our second member was a memorable warrior named Ravenant. An accomplished MS warrior, he always, always wore a pink shirt. Enemies would quake at weep at the sight of a pink shirt wearing human with a giant axe for they know that they will be killed and humiliated by a metrosexual warrior.

Then there is Tacos, the night elf priest that never heals. Shadow from day one, he abhors to heal anyone and was our main damage dealer. Constantly fearing and shadow dmging, he is however only known for one ability and that is MIND CONTROL. More on that later.

Our trump card, our most potent member was not an alliance member oh no. It was an undead rogue that we knew, he is Whitecrow. Known as Traitor, The Betrayer and the Fucking Asshole, he notified us of horde presence, lured people into ambushes and acted as our chief spy and assassin.

There were other members of our hit squad, but these men were our hardcore center.

Here's a video of our exploits. (Its low quality and childish but it's what we did. I myself am in the movie near the end. The pally named Silverdeath)
    http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=2369

Our stomping grounds was Felwoods, and we did everything in our power to make sure that any horde that comes here have as miserable a time as possible.

What usually happens is, Whitecrow goes looking for horde members to "hunt" down the alliance (us) that have been ganking in these woods. Usually he can grab a group or 2 of angry and pissed off Horde looking for vengeance. He then leads the hunting part to an area filled with creeps and informs us of their position. Battle usually follows as such:

-Earthgaya lays down a freeze trap
    -Tacos mind controls a guy to aggro as many creeps as possible (usually a healer)
    -Some dumb horde gets frozen
    -Revenant rushes in, I alternate between blessing of freedom, protection and sacrifice on him and I keep up with him. I usually have to heal and cleanse everyone in the group.
    -Earthgaya, Tacos and Rev focus fire on clothers
    -I go after rogues and warriors, classes that have no hope of beating me
    -Whitecrow shows token resistance
    -Is things get too hairy, Tacos mind controls a horde (now counted as alliance) and WHITECROW tears them to shreds.

After a few times like this, the horde get pushed back to their tiny base NEAR A GIANT WATER FALL. As we approach, Tacos would mind control horde off the waterfall... INTO DARKSHORE WITH NO HOPE OF GETTING BACK. We then proceed to wait by the flight point and mind control people that just flew in, off the cliff. Its miserable and we're bastards but frankly, it was hilariously funny.

Occasionally whitecrow would ask horde members to come to the cliffs about some nonsense of "giving an epic item" and we'd pop outta the trees and laugh at them as they drop down, die and get durability loss.

One intense battle occurred when we were still in the horde base and we found a 12 man squad PISSED OFF at our antics, enough for someone to cry to mommy... who was a very epically geared warrior (at the time of MC it would be considered epically godly).

There was something very surreal and movie like about this one engagement. Here were a dozen pissed off horde with high hopes of victory as they brought out their master champion who wielded a massive obsidian blade of doom. Against us pitiful 5, our chances seem done for. The warrior even issued a "challenge", roared and ran straight into... a mind control spell. The giant warrior then turned around and charged into the lowest lvl player and HACKED HIM APART. The horror the horde must have felt fills my heart with evil glee as they scattered in the confusion. Allow Earthgaya, Rav and I to jump horde one at a time. Tacos then told the warrior to jump off the cliff, and just as he lept off he finally resisted the spell. The tauren very clearly, turned in mid air training to get back to the edge but it was too late. With a heavy crash, the warrior was turned into ground beef.

Tacos then cast fear into the horde and then alternated between damaging and mind controlling horde for Whitecrow our horde traitor to slay. While the rest of us showed them that quantity fails in the face of quality. It was not to say that they were very bad players, many of them tried to kill me to stop my healing. But I have many tricks, and I say with confidence that I am a very skilled combat healer and they were just wasting their mana, rage and energy trying to kill a thick plated tank.

That was a very amazing victory, our small team of 5 managed to take out a dozen poor horde players, although we were very close to death and exhaustion of mana and spells. Holy hell, that was a very exhilarating pvp experience I had as a ganker and asshole. It is unfortunate that it became very difficult to recreate this experience after battle grounds and our group simply... drifted apart. I stayed on for several months but pve is nothing rewarding for me and solo pvp as a paladin was a joke.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ah daoc pvp how i miss thee....

a few cool daoc group vs group pvp vids from a guy in my old guild:

http://camelotvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=79692

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey, I was part of that raid on Astranaar, Lightbringer. It was truly epic, until those blasted NPC guards came. I got into town a few times by swimming and then nuking some pesky lowbies there. But I got killed off soon enough. :P After that I had a crash and it was getting late.

My guild was one of the biggest on the server and we were fairly well organised, so we could do epic deeds relatively early on. When we were all around 45 we all mounted up and went from Hammerfall to Alliance territory. When we crossed that big bridge we all started moving slow (/ on your keyboard). Imagine a warband of 20 Tauren with kodos coming up to you, slowly, steadily, grunting. We were all tidily walking in line and no one was jumping around or acting like a retard.

The alliance members we encountered all moved aside for us, and we later heard from our alliance sister guild that all channels were full of "omg horde raid @ blablabla". So eventually we ran into the defenders of the area, we simultaneously kicked our mount to full speed, jumped in the ranks of the defenders and dismounted. The alliance never really figured out what the hell was happening, I think. :P

The sight of all those mounts charging into the enemy at once was marvellous. By far the best pvp experience I've had in WoW.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I believe I was on the receiving end of your charge :P. A really big and organized guild, all mounted first trotted towards our defenses at Southshore and then went full gallop and before we knew it, 40 horde players had penetrated our lines and massacred us.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I believe I was on the receiving end of your charge :P. A really big and organized guild, all mounted first trotted towards our defenses at Southshore and then went full gallop and before we knew it, 40 horde players had penetrated our lines and massacred us.
    We were Ravenblood on the Bloodscalp - EU server.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ah, I was on US east, Bleeding Hallow. A few really big and organized horde guilds gave them a huge advantage over us.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ah, I was on US east, Bleeding Hallow. A few really big and organized horde guilds gave them a huge advantage over us.
    Blah, musta been copycats of us.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Any battle in Southshore, pre Battlegrounds is what i will always remember from Warcraft. Granted, it was impossible to level there(still is thanks to non-stop ganking), but that was war.

Being pushed back to the Inn as soon as i landed, and rallying the troops to push the horde from the town. Then pushing them back towards their town (which i cant remember the name of), while picking off random guys. Then eventually getting enough people and raiding STV, and going on a rampage through the entire place until we were either killed by the guards at the town there (again, cant remember what its called), or by the inevitable 10+ lvl60's that would be called in. Finally, making a fighting retreat (i.e. ghost, res, run, ghost, res etc...) back to darkshire.

Ah, those were the days. Thanks for killing world pvp blizzard :(

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Tarren Mill and Grom'gol.

It wasn fun to play in, but it had zero influence on the world. Nothing had, which is why I'm looking forward to Age of Conan and Warhammer Online.

Aldo on
  • Options
    IceblazeIceblaze Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    EMD, Everything must die. It was on Dark Iron for WoW, the PAA server, with a bunch of guilds.

Basically, we had some ridiculous number of raids (I think 13 Full? Might have been more) and we raided every major horde area at the same time. UC, TB, Org, Gromgol, etc. The servers ended up crashing due to all the mayhem.

A couple days later: Horde do it back to us again. They succeed in crashing the servers as well. It was crazy fun, I believe it was posted as an article here at some point.

Iceblaze on
  • Options
    padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Let me set this up for you in case you're not familiar with the game Rising Force Online (RFO). It's a Korean MMO, brought to the US by Codemasters. Codemasters ruined the game, but it was a blast for the beta and the first month it was out.

Every 8 hours, a massive all-server battle happens in The Core between the three Races in the game: The Elf-like Cora, who use offensive magic and summon pets, the dwarf-human Bellato, who build huge walking tanks with a more hit points than a raid boss, and the robotic Accretia, whose strength is in their seige weapons and coordinated assault lines.

The Core is a circular battlefield that you can enter either from one of two neutral zone entrances or from your base. Each race has their own portal, guarded by turrets, which is up a hill from their Control Chip.

thecore.png

The object is to acquire the chip of one of your enemy races. In order to get it, you have to destroy the Control Chip console, and have someone of your race get the last hit. Then your race gets control of the core, which is a mining area at the bottom of a spiral tunnel system in the center of the battleground. Mining down there will gain you a LOT of money and advantages for your race, including crystals for upgrading armor. The person who gets the last hit on the control chip will gain the chip (a crystal above their head), makiing them a huge target for the other two races. If that person can make it to the central core without dying, your race will have control of the mining area for the full duration (until 30 minutes before the next war, which can be anything from 6 to 7hrs 45 minutes of mining time). It takes at least 15 minutes to win the battle... though on a new server it usually takes longer. If it goes for more than 2 hours with no one winning, it's a draw.

the story (now that I've set the scene, here we go)

The war starts, and my guild <Retribution> scrambles to put something organized together to enter the battle. The Bellato are making an advance on our Control Chip, and they have a lot of level 30 MAUs (Mechanized Assault Units) already. It looks grim, our chip is at about 80% health.

It's obvious who is in <Retribution>... we're only one of two level 3 Cora guilds on the server who have guild emblems next to our names, and we're forming a defensive line in front of our CC after the Bellatos pulled back. I'm standing up front with the Knights, weilding a glowing sword and a huge shield. Behind us are our lone bow-weilding Ranger, and a bunch of casters, including the Race leader, Necrosis (highest kills on the server), as well as the second place Kirashi, and fourth and fifth place race leaders. We look awesome, and the Bellato are intimidated.

Our guild leader is calling out instructions over Ventrillo while Necrosis types it out for the whole race to see since he's the race leader. We call out MAU targets and take them down. It's way too awesome.

Eventually we were able to push them back and mount an assault on the Bellatos. The Accretians showed up and wanted a piece of the glory. We had to push the Bellato back to their portal and hold them there while also keeping an eye on the Accretians.

As long as the Accretians weren't attacking us, we let them attack the Bellato Control Chip with us. They were helping us. However, if they got the last hit, they would win and that would suck.

So we layed out the plan: at 12% we would call off the Accretians. Any Accretian in range of the Control Chip at 10% would be attacked and killed. Necrosis relayed this to the Accretian race leader so he could warn off the rest of his robotic race.

At 10% we went all-out and killed the nearby rebel Accretians, then took over the chip and won the as well as the respect of the rest of the Cora race.

Later wars weren't as fortunate though. The Bellato grew in numbers until they doubled the population of the Accretia and Cora combined. We were forced to ally with the Accretia, but this did not last long. At one point the Accretia decided to attack the Cora chip. I discovered a new tactic.

While the accretians were in assault weapon mode, they were more vulnerable to attacks, and they would clump up in little groups together, like an assault line. Now, I'm a knight, and my shield skill is high, but other classes have low shield skills because it's a pain to level up. However, I have also leveled my magic skills, so my AOE actually does decent damage. I would wander into a pack of Accretians, swap out my shield and sword for a staff and start AOEing to my heart's content. I would kill a few before they realized what was happening, but when they started targeting me I would switch to my shield and run out, usually surviving having about 12 people attacking me. It ended up being a great way to interrupt their efforts, and with enough people AOEing in the same spot, we would get a good handful of kills.

Eventually though, our glory days had to end. Level 40 Accretians got self-destruct skills that could wipe us out quickly, and level 40 Bellatos got Black MAUs with a gazillion hit points and tons of defense! A level 40 Cora caster would do 1 damage per hit to a level 40 Black MAU, while the MAU in return could 2-shot a Cora knight. It was retardedly unbalanced, and Codemasters was a bunch of Bellato-lovers, so my whole guild abandoned the game, taking with us about half of the high-level Cora population... lol.

Birds-eye view of Accretians (white) and Cora (blue) attacking the Bellato chip together during the "treaty" period:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/padmeamanda/chipwar20060303skyshot.jpg

Check out the race leader "halo" on Necrosis... made him a huge target. Here we are massing at the Cora portal prior to the start of a war. I'm wearing Ranger gear at the moment to run faster.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/padmeamanda/chipwar20060303.jpg

My favorite axe:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/padmeamanda/rfoAva29.jpg

(images linked for largeness)

padmeamanda on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I killed the same people repeatedly in Shadowbane until they unsubscribed.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I killed the same people repeatedly in Shadowbane until they unsubscribed.

unsubscribe.jpg

Screamline on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bremen on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bremen wrote: »

Good stuff, that right there. Crazy howler monkeys!

If I can think of any good stories I'll share them.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I made a guy quit EVE.

I was sitting outside of a station in Rens, a popular market hub, enjoying my old hobby of canflagging pubbies. I was in a gank-fitted Rupture, which is a Cruiser, a relatively small ship worth about 15 million isk including fittings. And for those not in the know, canflagging is where you drop a can with some stuff in it in a high-sec area where players are protected from non-consentual pvp by the NPC police, and lure them into grabbing something from it. The game sees this as them stealing from you and allows you to fire at them with no consequences.

I had nabbed a few targets, an empty industrial, a newbie ship, a frigate, and was getting kind of bored. Then I looked away for a minute and look back to see a convo invite on my screen. I accepted it.

Idiot > "Hi I took some stuff from this "FREE STUFF" can, you are not going to shoot me are you?" (yes I really did lure them in by naming it "FREE STUFF")
    Me > "Uh...no, of course not! I'm just out here waiting for war targets and had to make room for some stuff"
    Idiot > "Ok, just wanted to make sure, I was worried so I cloaked lol"

So he uncloaks, exactly where my can was, which is well within scram range, in a Navy fucking Raven. The hull alone was worth 950 million isk, at the time. With decent fittings, that thing would've been worth 100 times the ship I was flying. It could also kill me relatively quickly, but I decided to make my move anyway.

I webbed and scrambled him. He can't move. I'm tearing through his tank like a hot knife through a brick fucking wall. It's taking forever, but I guess he thought it'd be a fine idea to just not activate any of his boosters, because after a few minutes I finally got through his shields. I called for some help from some goonfleet brosefs and a guy shows up in a Vexor, another cruiser. So now there's two cruisers attacking a Navy Raven in the middle of one of the most crowded systems in the game.

So what does Mr. I'm-so-fucking-brilliant-I-got-canflagged-in-a-billion-isk-ship do?

He starts whining in local chat that we're attacking him. OH THIS IS NOT FAIR PLEASE STOP SHOOTING I JUST BOUGHT THIS PLEASE GUYS THIS ISNT FUNNY LEAVE ME ALONE ILL PAY YOU

"Okay, pay up. 500 million." At this point he had about 25% left in armor.

"Hold on ill get you the money please stop shooting"

so I call off my guns but our drones are still pounding away at him

Me > "If you don't pay these drones are going to kill you" - 75% structure
    Me > "you probably can't afford another one of those, you should just pay the ransom" - 50% structure
    Me > "haha he's not going to pay " - 25% structure

boom

he's in a pod and I'm looting a wreck full of shitty T2 gear and hilariously enough, no torps. He hadn't bought any ammo for it yet while traveling between two stations in Rens and decided to stop and check out my FREE STUFF on the way. That's why he didn't shoot back.

And that is how me and one other goon killed a Navy Raven in 0.9 space with two cruisers.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I once chased a l49 paladin through the Badlands in WoW..twice.

I played shaman and was picking up some herbs in the Badlands, waiting for someone to drop out of the raid-group. Anyway, there is a paladin also picking up some herbs, so I figured I'd shoo him off. So I go into Ghost Wolf, so I move 40% faster, but I hardly do any damage (not that a restoration-shaman does any damage to begin with, but uh now I did even less). So I run at him, do a few /barks and he does nothing.

Hey kid, I'm barking at chu and I'm 11 levels higher than you, at least /greet me or something. But no, so I attack him once, which finally makes him look at me. I /bark once more, but he doesn't understand. So I bite him again, making him run away. I run after him, bite him some more. He just keeps running.

I figured he'd run for safety in a nearby alliance zone, but no, he just ran off, no sense of direction. Sometimes he'd stop to look around, but I was still there. Sometimes I bite him, he just keeps running and running. After half an hour I get a raid-invite, so I make my way to Blackwing Lair.

Good bye silly paladin without a clue. :? I hope you enjoy this pvp-server, or something.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MadtownMadtown Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bremen wrote: »

To supplement, here's the story from Hrin (hazywater on PA) about his role in killing a Titan. Which is a pretty big deal -- only three have ever been killed, they're monstrously huge (as the video shows) and this was the first one killed while the pilot was at the wheel (previous kills were due to pilots logging off with aggro, which keeps you in game for 15 minutes rather than 1 minute).

EDIT: And a photo!

titanbanner.jpg
    46dp is a well known place to many of us. It is a crossroads, where Detorid meets Teneferis. One jump south from 46dp is 9-9, a station system held by BoB. North lies a wasteland until you reach KOS territory. East of 46dp is Detorid, specifically 77s. Goon territory. Bat country. 46dp is no man's land, a place of death and the supernatural -- ironically held by Red Alliance, currently.

I was involved in a large fleet battle in 9-9 where I lost a battleship and cruiser for the glory of the Swarm. BoB won that battle with heavy losses, but it was a victory nonetheless. After the battle I was in 46dp with an interceptor -- a Claw to be precise. This particular Claw was named "Scromulan" in reference to WANG and Star Trek. I was 50 km off the gate with a group of frigates and cruisers holding there as both recon and skirmishers in preparation of another offensive. I was holding so far off the gate so I would have a perfect bead on any ships that came through and tried to cloak: to decloak them I needed to see them and align myself on them quickly. The gate flashes. Seeing this, I prime my MWD. Some cheap cruiser pops up 30 km away or so. I both scramble and ram him in an attempt to keep him from warping off.

However, warping was not his intention.

He pops a cyno shortly before vanishing in a cloud of debris. Shrike enters local. With a sigh, I align on some random planet. Shrike warps to a position 150km off the gate and Teamspeak goes apeshit. The majority of the gang jumps into 9-9, while I sit there watching the Titan. Streaks of white light clothe the Avatar now, pulsing and expanding. I warp off, not wishing to enjoy Shrike's hospitality. His offering fills the starfield behind me with a great white light. Making a U-turn at the planet, I warp back to the gate to find the wrecks of idiots scattered about. [Fleet Commander] Sesfan gives the order: "Shrike cloaked, find him." Easy words, but while a titan is large, space is much larger. As I MWD to where I think he was, a name pops on up on my overview. At first I think it's a BoB gang jumping in and I'm way out of position.

But no, it was Shrike and he's WAY TOO GOD DAMN CLOSE TO ME.

His Avatar appears next to me, his cloak rendered useless by my presence. Frantically, I make shot upon him while I burn off, not wishing to get smartbombed. Teamspeak goes to shit again. Seconds later interdictors surround the Avatar, dropping warp interdiction spheres. Local jumps as the fleet stationed in 77s joins us. BoB ships in 9-9 scramble to get to 46dp and get those interdictors off of Shrike, including motherships. The battle is massive. Every Goon and Goon ally who can be there is there, in whatever flies. Massive beams rip into Shrike's Avatar from dreadnaughts. Explosions ripple across the ship, from both missiles and friendly pilots who give their ships to Shrike in an attempt to block his path. Interceptors dogfight between the gate and Shrike, trying to destroy and protect the interdictors, respectively. The Goon support fleet forms a gauntlet between the gate and Shrike, daring any BoB ships to run it. BoB does run it and miniature battles rage with the titan as their backdrop, their prize.

To a thunderous cacophony, the battle ends. A once proud and majestic buttplug is rendered salvageable; its pilot killed and the corpse taken as a trophy.

I'll try to write up a story or two of my own at some point. There's some pretty good ones -- none as big as the Titan kill, but some pretty good stuff nonetheless.

Madtown on
    Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Madtown, you forgot the punchline. Titans are worth something like $1500 USD.

It's like Hrin just threw someones HDTV out of a third floor window.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Madtown, you forgot the punchline. Titans are worth something like $10000 USD.

It's like Hrin just threw someones car out of a third floor window.

Not that it matters much because you can't just buy a Titan. But using GTC conversion (the only allowed way to purchase ISK), it's more like $10k.

Madtown on
    Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh shit. Ok, so it's more like he just threw someone's small car out of a third floor window.

By Someone, I mean Shrike.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Are there a lot of goldfarmers in this game, then? Or other people who make RL profit on this sort of things? Am I going off topic?

EVE is one of the most interesting games when it comes PvP and I've spend some time reading the EVE thread , just to see how the war was coming along. No other game has been able to grab my attention like that.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Are there a lot of goldfarmers in this game, then? Or other people who make RL profit on this sort of things? Am I going off topic?

Yup. Pop into the Eve thread and I'll answer you a bit more in-depth there.

Madtown on
    Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

EVE is one of the most interesting games when it comes PvP and I've spend some time reading the EVE thread , just to see how the war was coming along. No other game has been able to grab my attention like that.

I love reading about it, but it was so incredibly boring when i started my 15 day trial. Just barely got past tutorial and then didn't know where to go. Then pirates podded me.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Space is very big and very cold.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From a mate of mine:

During the opening stages of the New Eden War, an epic battle raged for the system of ED-L9T. Few are aware of this battle, and it may be incorrect to call it such. Raging for weeks, it was Firmus’s first and last stand against the powers of Pure, Morsus Mihi, Triumvirate, IAC, AAA, Razor, and Imperial Republic of the North.

For the unenlightened, ED-L9T is FIX’s (Firmus Ixion) home. It contains an outpost, a place for weary FIXians to rest and recover. Six months ago, it literally was the heart of the alliance.

The system, with three entrances and exits, is a logistical nightmare to defend. But I digress. To sum it up, with little resistance, our enemies poured in and trapped our pilots in their own home.

I was fortunate, I was away making money NPC’ing with a buddy fourteen systems away in the system of 49-U6U. For those of us that weren’t trapped in the inferno of ED, it was now time to launch a counter attack.

The Megathron is a beast of a Battleship. It was my ship of choice. And why not? Firmus provided me with all the equipment needed to fly the beast.

One bleak day, when roving gangs were running amok around the surrounding region of Querious, Band of Brothers was fighting Dusk and Dawn to a stalemate in Fountain region, and our allies Lotka Volterra were crumbling after a harrowing loss a JV1V, we launched a counterattack.

One hundred strong, we poured into ED-L9T and found the enemy assaulting our starbases. One starbase was being worked on by five dreadnaughts. Our capital ships engaged, and the support fleet followed. I worked my way to a sniper position, about 150 KM away from the epicenter of the conflict.

A Phoenix dreadnaught was scuumbing to our assault when the enemy support fleet warped in. I loosed one last salvo of iridium slugs from my 425mm railguns and then pulled them off the dreadnaught.

I should have been shooting the primary targets calling by the fleet commander, but I had other plans. I found a Thorax cruiser on my overview. It took me about ten salvos of ammo to drop him. Next on my kill list was a Rapier, poof. Having had my fun, I switched back to the primary target calling.

Suddenly, yellow started flashing on the screen. I was being primaried. No worries though, I was aligned to a celestial object and made my escape with some shield damage. I was right back in the thick of things within a minute.

The battle was mostly one of support, I can’t recall if it had any capital kills. Anyhow, FIX held the field at the end of the engagement. Wrecks littered the field, and my Megathron stood intact in all its glory.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    this thread will not be bottemed

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ah, here's an oldie!

The assassination of Lord British on Ultima Online

http://www.aschulze.net/ultima/stories9/beta.htm

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If I could go back in time I would take all the pictures and movies I could with my warlock wearing dreadmist and beating up several people wearing far better gear then the harassing tells that would follow

One I can relate is in Arathi Basin I was alone at the farm when the zerg of 2 druids, a rogue and priest come in
    I doted the hell out of the rogue and druids feared the preist and ran around like an idiot and I lived

When one of the druids came back at the end all he did was /bow the priest spamed spit
    Someone after the game harassed me for 15 minutes that I hacked

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The true mark of a pvp war hero is one who causes pain and stress in the real world through sheer unbridled ownage.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was leveling my orc warrior on Stormscale (PVP server) and decided to pop into Ashenvale for some fun. I was level 31 at the time and was just walkin around and looking for some alliance players to kill. I find a level 40 Night Elf hunter and throw caution the wind and try and beat him. A couple of minutes later I was laughing so hard over his corpse. The guy wasn't very good and almost killed me but I managed to kill him first. I then preceded to corpse camp him twice before being killed and going to a different area. It was so fucking satisfying. :lol:

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Star Wars Galaxies:

Tarquinas

The Battle of Fort Bravo

The story goes like this.

I was a member of the largest Imperial PA on the server a few weeks before player cities came out. We began striking at Rebel bases outside of Bestine and had huge success.

When Player Cities were released, people scrambled to lay down their plots. We ended up getting stuck on Lok, but we pissed some people off because our location was very close to the Kimogila spawns.

It was a great location. To the north, west, and south, was nothing but platue and mountain region. To the direct east was an island with a 20 yard mote around it.

We set up shop right in the middle of all that, we laid down bases *everywhere*. We took our largest HQ and placed it on that island, which created a stop-gap at the only easy entrance to the city.

In response to our largely successful campaigns on Tattoine prior to the patch, rebels began scouting our city for attack. We always had 1 or 2 people on patrol, trying to snipe off the riflemen and shit that they would send in to snipe our guards.

About two weeks after the patch they came at us hard. There were no less than 200 guys on the rebel side. I was there when they started it, it started as just a few Rebels who were coming in to snipe at us, after we took them out it was followed by about 60 that were swarming in and out of the streets trying to take out one of our smaller bases. We called in all of our allies and the rumble got going. After 45 minutes of gridlock we finally made a push on them and they retreated to a far mountain range to the east.

We chased them, we found out that they had set up an entire camp (the huge camp, the outdoor cantina) and there were at least 30 more guys waiting there. They rolled down the mountain and chased us back, and it went on for about another hour. We managed to not lose anything.

Then two nights later we got every goddam Imperial player together and we went south on Lok to the Volcano region where a very large Rebel guild had set up shop. There was no less than 150 of us, we marched in with AT-ST's, Troopers, and pretty much everything we could throw at them. We completely mopped them up. As we were taking down their bases, the cavalry arrived on their side and it turned into a race against time to blow the bases. With under 5 minutes left on the countdown, one of their guys used an exploit and was able to stop the self-destruct while incapacitated, and we retreated. Damn cheaters. Still, epic battles man, I miss old-school SWG.

Our city is still there today, although largely abandoned, it stands as a pillar to what SWG would be if they didn't do all the shit they did to it.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Star Wars Galaxies:

Tarquinas

The Battle of Fort Bravo

The story goes like this.

I was a member of the largest Imperial PA on the server a few weeks before player cities came out. We began striking at Rebel bases outside of Bestine and had huge success.

When Player Cities were released, people scrambled to lay down their plots. We ended up getting stuck on Lok, but we pissed some people off because our location was very close to the Kimogila spawns.

It was a great location. To the north, west, and south, was nothing but platue and mountain region. To the direct east was an island with a 20 yard mote around it.

We set up shop right in the middle of all that, we laid down bases *everywhere*. We took our largest HQ and placed it on that island, which created a stop-gap at the only easy entrance to the city.

In response to our largely successful campaigns on Tattoine prior to the patch, rebels began scouting our city for attack. We always had 1 or 2 people on patrol, trying to snipe off the riflemen and shit that they would send in to snipe our guards.

About two weeks after the patch they came at us hard. There were no less than 200 guys on the rebel side. I was there when they started it, it started as just a few Rebels who were coming in to snipe at us, after we took them out it was followed by about 60 that were swarming in and out of the streets trying to take out one of our smaller bases. We called in all of our allies and the rumble got going. After 45 minutes of gridlock we finally made a push on them and they retreated to a far mountain range to the east.

We chased them, we found out that they had set up an entire camp (the huge camp, the outdoor cantina) and there were at least 30 more guys waiting there. They rolled down the mountain and chased us back, and it went on for about another hour. We managed to not lose anything.

Then two nights later we got every goddam Imperial player together and we went south on Lok to the Volcano region where a very large Rebel guild had set up shop. There was no less than 150 of us, we marched in with AT-ST's, Troopers, and pretty much everything we could throw at them. We completely mopped them up. As we were taking down their bases, the cavalry arrived on their side and it turned into a race against time to blow the bases. With under 5 minutes left on the countdown, one of their guys used an exploit and was able to stop the self-destruct while incapacitated, and we retreated. Damn cheaters. Still, epic battles man, I miss old-school SWG.

Our city is still there today, although largely abandoned, it stands as a pillar to what SWG would be if they didn't do all the shit they did to it.

Stuff like this is what I loved about the original SWG. Now it's a eq clone among other things.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It is a completely directionless cluster-fuck. Instead of replacing all of the systems they wiped out with the NGE and Combat Upgrade, they are slowly reintroducing stripped down versions of them without explanation, tutorial, or purpose.

That game is literally over. But that's not what this thread is about! ;)

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh man... REBEL SCUM

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Its disheartening to see that this thread isn't even on the first 2 pages of this sub forum. But I won't give up on it just yet.

First Stress Test:

My first time playing the World of Warcraft, this time as an alliance human Rogue by the name of Silverdeath. Much as I explained in a previous story in the OP, the pve questing of the game was alright, the graphics style was much to my taste and the game was kinda entertaining. PvP however was what caught my attention.

My first pvp experience (if you can call it that) was when a horde troll rogue had infiltrated Elwynn Forest, trying to wreck havoc. However, the poor lad was sighted by my fellow players and the "alarm" was raised, dozens of players stopped what they were doing, grabbed their weapons and as a mob we hunted him across the ends of the zone, constantly ganking him and waiting for him to respawn. It was an exhilarating feeling and I just knew that while killing random gnolls and murlocs was okay, it was slaying enemy players that would be my focus from now on. Everything else was to better equip me for war.

The incursion by horde raiders would happen quite often, small squads or even medium sized platoons would enter our lands and engage us in pvp. After one especially ferocious battle, we decided to mount a counter attack of our own to raid and despoil their lands! After taking the long but necessary journey by swimming to booty bay (far more safer than running through the jungle and the killer wildlife), our band of 30 recruited local Alliance Resistance Fighters and prepared for a maritime assault onto the barrens.

There was about 40 of us that day, all below level 20, clad in our greens and white armour. We were a mis matched ragged band of horde slayers. Warriors, Paladins, Mages, Priests, Warlocks and Rogues, we were ready to do our part for our virtual faction.

The moment we landed on Ratchet, we begun a great and terrible ganking on all the flagged horde players, turning it into a graveyard. Drunk on power, we regrouped and ran straight into the crossroads, our swords in the air. Within a few minutes, horde guards and players massacred the army and chased them back to ratchet. I was not part of the fleeing troops, rather I had /lie on the battlefield and feigned death . Amazingly, only a single horde member took a glance at me but quickly turned away and ran after my comrades.

With no horde in sight, I quickly stealthed and snuck out of that death trap as fast as I could back to ratchet to try and find survivors and get the hell out.

Arriving in the port town, I found the horde slaughtering our company with relative ease. Their numbers and ferocity easily overpowering our weakened and outnumbered brethren. While it pained me to see them fall so easily, I wasn't an idiot, there was no way I was going to reveal myself and get killed so I continued sneaking past the buildings and into the sea cliffs to the north of Ratchet and see if anyone else tried to hide there. Along the way I found bodies of fellow alliance players all along the shore, which made me think twice on continuing this path. But just as I was about to turn and run, I saw a fellow alliance player. I waved at him and he waved at me. But then suddenly... OUT OF NOWHERE A GIANT LOBSTER CAME FROM THE SEA AND KILLED HIM IN TWO HITS.

I thought "HOLY SHIT, no wonder there are all these corpses along the shore line!"

Realizing the severity of the situation I decided to leave the raid and hearth back to westfall, leaving behind fellow alliance troops but gaining valuable pvp experience which will help me in future more successful raids.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg