As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    And that roller keeps on rollin'

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Not that I don't love how fast all of these people are changing their minds.

But I find that graph pretty hilarious.

This sort of ties in to the idea that people in America, congressmen included, vastly overestimate the strength of conservative sentiments in this country. I strongly suspect that they were already in favor of gay marriage personally, and it is only with recent trends in public opinion and media narrative that there's conclusive evidence that saying they favor gay marriage won't cost them the next election.

I doubt that they were in favour of gay marriage; I think it's more likely they simply don't give two shits either way.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Abusing the law has nothing to do with same-sex marriage since it is all happening right now?!?

Amazing right? The FUD about "omg sanctity" are always hilarious. If you're concerned about that shit then deal with it right now, how about you go rally ineffectively against divorce or something?

Some people act like we don't already have sexual abuse laws.

OrokosPA.png
    So Brendon Ayanbadejo formerly of the Ravens, let slip a rumor that there are 4 NFL players that are considering coming out.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    That'd be cool of them.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i need to gay marry my same sex cat for tax purposes

guys help me out here

There would be problems when the cat wanted to list you as the dependent.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

North Dakota Senator Heidi Heitkamp can also be added to the list now.

I'm actually a little surprised with this one, mostly that it came as quickly as it did. Ever since she took office Heidi has been taking more or less a republican stance on nationwide issues. It's nice to see that my former home state can manage to not be a national embarassment from time to time.

• TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Archer wrote: »
    Yes most of them absolutely tore the prop 8 guy to pieces and then were like "naw, we don't want to be known for this so we'll pass."

So we won't be getting ruling that banning same sex marriage is unconstitutional. But at least California will get it back again.

I can't help but feel pretty let down after they way they laid into him.

I think it'll come down to the fact that gays entering into straight marriage is possible, even if completely impractical. Text before reality and all that. Contrast with DOMA, on which the solicitor general ran out of ideas for.

People can marry within their own race and religion as well. Doesn't mean they should only be allowed to do so. I see no difference between barring marriage based on the partners' genders and the anti-miscegenation laws. They are all discriminatory.

It's pretty simple, sex of any kind is sinful, the only reason sex is okay is because of procreation and you better damn well procreate with who your father says so therefor it better only be in a marriage he approves of. You know, Christians a thousand years ago taking Greek philosophy and twisting it all up wrong, like always.

I'll be honest, as a longtime Republican, I've never actually met anyone who holds that kind of belief, even among the born again religious right I know. It's like meat on Fridays; only the fundiest of the fundies actually go there. Most just mutter on about the OT definition of marriage (always a hoot after you've pointed out that 'marriage' has a Latin root, not Hebrew).

My mother absolutely does but then she's the only person I know who does.

Some of the anti-gay marriage advocates (the "Family Research Council") have this as their explicit goal. Direct quote:
    It’s not the contraception, everybody thinks it’s about contraception, but what this court case said was young people have the right to engage in sex outside of marriage. Society never gave young people that right, functioning societies don’t do that, they stop it, they punish it, they corral people, they shame people, they do whatever. The institution for the expression of sexuality is marriage and all societies always shepherded young people there, what the Supreme Court said was forget that shepherding, you can’t block that, that’s not to be done.

I got about halfway through the quote before I realized the subtext was "And this is how it's supposed to be!", rather than the more sane "And this was wrong!". I honestly thought they were describing their crazier, further-right allies, not themselves!

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2013
    Mary Landrieu of Louisiana says that she personally supports Marriage Equality, but won't officially support Marriage Equality.

Because Louisiana is full of bigots, and she's got to look out for her bigoted peeps.
    Landrieu told CNN National Political Correspondent Jim Acosta in an interview Friday that she personally believes "people should love who they love and marry who they want to marry," but that her obligation rests with the people of Louisiana who elected her.

"My state has a very strong constitutional amendment not only against gay marriage but against gay partnerships. So I'm looking at the people of Louisiana trying to represent their interests," she said.

Well, the interests of just the bigots Mary, you're not looking out for everybody.

Viskod on
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Mary Landrieu of Louisiana says that she personally supports Marriage Equality, but won't officially support Marriage Equality.

Because Louisiana is full of bigots, and she's got to look out for her bigoted peeps.
    Landrieu told CNN National Political Correspondent Jim Acosta in an interview Friday that she personally believes "people should love who they love and marry who they want to marry," but that her obligation rests with the people of Louisiana who elected her.

"My state has a very strong constitutional amendment not only against gay marriage but against gay partnerships. So I'm looking at the people of Louisiana trying to represent their interests," she said.

Well, the interests of just the bigots Mary, you're not looking out for everybody.

Give her, oh, say, 19 months, and I'm sure she'll come around.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Texas A&M's student body president, in a bold move, vetoed a bill that would have let students opt out of funding the GLBT Resource Center with their activity fees if they had religious objections.

Claybrook’s veto marks the second victory in as many days over measures targeting campus LGBT resource centers in Texas. On Thursday night, under immense pressure from the LGBT community, state Rep. Bill Zedler, R-Arlington, withdrew a budget amendment that would have prohibited universities from using state funds “to support, promote, or encourage any behavior that would lead to high risk behavior for AIDS, HIV, Hepatitis B, or any sexually transmitted disease.”

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Tenek wrote: »

Give her, oh, say, 19 months, and I'm sure she'll come around.

Actually, I don't think we're giving her enough credit here. I'd certainly give her more credit than Carper, Nelson, or Heitkamp - people who are risking little if anything by coming out in favor of SSM. Landrieu had a tough time getting re-elected in 2008 and is probably not going to help her chances in '14 by saying this. On top of that, it's still clear that she personally favors it and about the only thing this is going to make a difference on is her hypothetical vote to repeal DOMA (or whatever other rare federal marriage bill comes up), which is a) moot if SCOTUS tosses it and b) still requires a minimum of 5 GOP votes plus the House to get through Congress.

So yeah, that's her caveat: If Kennedy bails on his pet causes and a few dozen Republicans plus Boehner decide to flip off the religious right and Reid still can't get to 60, she'll delay the process by as long as it takes to find a replacement. What's that actually worth in the end?

Tenek on
    Heitcamp is actually risking quite a bit. ND is nearly as conservative and religious as it gets and outside of the major cities there is not a significant amount of support for gay rights.

The only thing really working for her in this instance us that she just won her seat and hopefully by the time she's up for reelection public opinion will advance enough that this won't be an anchor to drag her down.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Right, she's up in 6 years. Given current trends it won't be a big deal by then.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Maybe, this is ND we're talking about.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Texas A&M's student body president, in a bold move, vetoed a bill that would have let students opt out of funding the GLBT Resource Center with their activity fees if they had religious objections.

Claybrook’s veto marks the second victory in as many days over measures targeting campus LGBT resource centers in Texas. On Thursday night, under immense pressure from the LGBT community, state Rep. Bill Zedler, R-Arlington, withdrew a budget amendment that would have prohibited universities from using state funds “to support, promote, or encourage any behavior that would lead to high risk behavior for AIDS, HIV, Hepatitis B, or any sexually transmitted disease.
    ...like attending a state university? I mean, we all know what goes on in campus dorms, frat houses, student union buildings, closets, tables, libraries, offices, parking lots, [insert location here]...

JihadJesus on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    they had a group of college republicans with a WE STAND FOR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE sign and a COUPLE IS Y AND X NOT Y AND Y andother stupid bullshit

people kept destroying their setup whenever it was unattended, damn liberal bullies, I almost feel bad for those poor college Republicans

I mean on a human level of the disappointment they must feel seeing their shit wrecked, and on absolutely no other level because 20 year old rich kids who want to shit in everyone else's cereal piss me off to no end

override367 on
    I bet that state rep that is so damn concerned with sexually transmitted diseases would also object to actual sex ed classes and the availability of condoms at high schools.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Claybrook’s veto marks the second victory in as many days over measures targeting campus LGBT resource centers in Texas. On Thursday night, under immense pressure from the LGBT community, state Rep. Bill Zedler, R-Arlington, withdrew a budget amendment that would have prohibited universities from using state funds “to support, promote, or encourage any behavior that would lead to high risk behavior for AIDS, HIV, Hepatitis B, or any sexually transmitted disease.
    ...like attending a state university? I mean, we all know what goes on in campus dorms, frat houses, student union buildings, closets, tables, libraries, offices, parking lots, [insert location here]...

you mean 'insert here at location'

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I bet that state rep that is so damn concerned with sexually transmitted diseases would also object to actual sex ed classes and the availability of condoms at high schools.

Well, of course they are. Abstinence is the only guaranteed way to prevent sexually transmitted diseases!

• Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    WE STAND FOR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE

You mean a union between one man and one woman, granted permission by their respective parents and consecrated in the eyes of Iuppiter, Best and Greatest, for the purpose of creating new citizens for the glory of the Senate and People of Rome?

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    A&M and College Station are uber-conservative, located right in the stupidest part of the Bible belt.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

You mean a union between one man and one woman, granted permission by their respective parents and consecrated in the eyes of Iuppiter, Best and Greatest, for the purpose of creating new citizens for the glory of the Senate and People of Rome?

Technically, It's between one man, and a woman's father. Or Eldest Brother. Or Uncle.

• Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Technically, It's between one man, and a woman's father. Or Eldest Brother. Or Uncle.
    The union was between the man and woman; the agreement was between their parents. Neither sons nor daughters could wed without their father's permission.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

The union was between the man and woman; the agreement was between their parents. Neither sons nor daughters could wed without their father's permission.

It depends on how old and what position the son had in the family.

Pretty sure the only thing that got a Roman out from under his parent's boot heel (sandal heel?) was getting married. But that is neither here nor there. The important part is that a bunch of silly geese are trying to redefine our time-honored and traditional redefinition of marriage*.

*Last updated 06/12/1967

- John Stuart Mill
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    a budget amendment that would have prohibited universities from using state funds “to support, promote, or encourage any behavior that would lead to high risk behavior for AIDS, HIV, Hepatitis B, or any sexually transmitted disease.”

No more heterosexual sex. ONLY LESBIAN SEX ALLOWED!

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Sherlock's house lady, Ms. Hudson, has just been introduced on Elementary, and is a transwoman both on the show and in real life. And it's really respectful.

Good job, CBS. Which is the first time I've said that, ever.

Atomika on
    LadyM wrote: »
    a budget amendment that would have prohibited universities from using state funds “to support, promote, or encourage any behavior that would lead to high risk behavior for AIDS, HIV, Hepatitis B, or any sexually transmitted disease.”

No more heterosexual sex. ONLY LESBIAN SEX ALLOWED!

Can...can I watch?

- John Stuart Mill

Pretty sure the only thing that got a Roman out from under his parent's boot heel (sandal heel?) was getting married. But that is neither here nor there. The important part is that a bunch of silly geese are trying to redefine our time-honored and traditional redefinition of marriage*.

*Last updated 06/12/1967

Well, the paterfamilias was the dude in charge and could veto and whatnot.

• LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    When they talk about "traditional marriage", I wonder if they know one of the fine old traditions of marriage was marrying a dude to his half-sister, so as to keep the money in the family. I think the Romans did that and the Greeks definitely did.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    LadyM wrote: »
    When they talk about "traditional marriage", I wonder if they know one of the fine old traditions of marriage was marrying a dude to his half-sister, so as to keep the money in the family. I think the Romans did that and the Greeks definitely did.
    There are a lot of "fine old traditions" regarding marraige that they gleefully ignore. It reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFkeKKszXTw

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Sherlock's house lady, Ms. Hudson, has just been introduced on Elementary, and is a transwoman both on the show and in real life. And it's really respectful.

Good job, CBS. Which is the first time I've said that, ever.

You just made me look up Elementary.

Is there any good UK show that American TV DOESN'T try to copy and ruin?

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • VargVarg Registered User regular
    Elementary and Sherlock are both pretty darned good and aside from it being a deliberate move by CBS after BBC wouldn't sell them the US rights to Sherlock, Elementary is different enough from Sherlock that I can watch both and enjoy.

I would also mention that not all US remakes of UK shows are awful. I find the US version of Shameless to be leaps and bounds above the UK version (which I also still enjoy). They follow some of the same plots but diverge on a large number of them (Ian and Mickey, Fiona and Steve, Karen). Part of the reason I find the US version more likeable is that they're actually dealing with their LGBT characters and evolving them whereas the UK version, for instance, has Mickey as comedy relief for his character's entire run. He >never< is revealed to be gay to his family in the entire 6 or so seasons he is on the show. And since we're in the LGBT thread, people seem pretty evenly split on whether they prefer Queer As Folk UK or QAF US. (US version all the way for me minus the final season which can DIAF).

Also Dr Who (US) isn't a thing yet! They could have NPH play the doctor!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Not until Ted finally meets the fucking mother.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    also the US version of House of Cards isn't terrible.

Oh god, what's the U.S. version of Downton Abbey going to be? A modern drama about a hedge fund manager and his family during the '08 crash who can't figure out why the suddenly-poor people hate them so much? "Rockefeller Penthouse"?

...actually I'd probably watch that.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Marathon wrote: »
    Heitcamp is actually risking quite a bit. ND is nearly as conservative and religious as it gets and outside of the major cities there is not a significant amount of support for gay rights.

Outside of "major cities" about eighteen people live in North Dakota, so no, not really

Edit: Hahahaha when he said "major cities" I figured they at least had to have a couple hundred thousand people

Such is not the case

I stand corrected, roughly half of ND's population is rural

Salvation122 on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    While I am delighted about all the positive news regarding gay marriage, there are two major issues we still need to tackle: LGBT refugees and protections for trans* individuals.

I imagine the attention of major pro-LGBT organizations will turn towards these issues once gay marriage is legalized in the States, but I'm anxious to see refugess and trans* folks get the protection they need to, well, live safely.

Curly_Brace on