As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Got windows 8, do I "downgrade" to 7?

Just like the subject says, just got a new laptop (lenovo U410) and it comes with windows 8. I've got a disc for a windows 7 ultimate licence that is not in use, should I just downgrade or is there something about windows 8 that makes it worthwhile? Thus far I am not hearing good things, and I have been very happy with windows 7. Both are 64 bit.

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I have loved Windows 8 and would say it's worth anything you might have against metro for the task manager and quicker start up times. If you miss the start menu you can get that back in loads of different ways too. I can't imagine a reason for downgrading, but then I don't have anything to do with networks/printers so maybe there's an issue there?

TPSou on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    8's core is just a streamlined version of 7. A lot of things are legitamately better. New task manager, new explorer, better multi-monitor support, windows+x. Powershell 3, if you're nasty.

Metro is meh. It's fine. Give it some time. You won't use it that much on a desktop/laptop anyway. (Same as the start menu, really.)

It is much more agressive about installing updates. When you get the 15 minute warning, you listen.

If you're trying to run the latest video drivers on the newst games you might have problems, but that doesn't seem likely on a laptop.

Save your 7 licence for something else.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    wish people would stop just assuming 8 is bad... My only problems have come from software that wasn't particularly well written in the beginning not working without some troubleshooting, but thats being a pc owner. ramble ramble.

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I just got a new computer with Windows 8 myself. I've no interest in the metro stuff, but after getting Stardock's Start8, I'm very happy with it. It puts the start menu back, making it basically a snappier version windows 7. Not to sound like a commercial for it but you can even do a 30-day trial of Start8 first to see if it solves your issues before downgrading.

It only costs $5 too... A bit annoying to have to pay a fiver to make Windows work the way you want it, but the time it would take to downgrade may be worth at least that much.

ThePantsAssociation on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I just got a new computer with Windows 8 myself. I've no interest in the metro stuff, but after getting Stardock's Start8, I'm very happy with it. It puts the start menu back, making it basically a snappier version windows 7. Not to sound like a commercial for it but you can even do a 30-day trial of Start8 first to see if it solves your issues before downgrading.

It only costs $5 too... A bit annoying to have to pay a fiver to make Windows work the way you want it, but the time it would take to downgrade may be worth at least that much.

I use Start8, too, but there are also recent free mods that have nearly the exact same features.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I started with Start8, but got rid of it and just learned the Windows+key shortcuts. IMO, it's pretty fantastic to be able to use the apps for crap like email and music, and then Win+D to get to my desktop and do that kind of stuff.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I used Classic Shell, which does the exact same thing, and keeps a 5 dollar bill in my wallet to boot.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I used Classic Shell, which does the exact same thing, and keeps a 5 dollar bill in my wallet to boot.

Classic Start is nice, but while it can mimic the look and feel of 7, it does behave differently in some key respects. Most notably, the search isn't quite as thorough. Start8 is better, IMHO.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The cheapest and easiest way to get rid of the metro interface is the windows key.

Boot, press key, metro gone. If you just have to have the start menu, then go with whatever, but win+x brings up all the control stuff you could access through the old start menu anyway?

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, seriously. The "OH MY GOD, THEY TOOK OUT THE START MENU" complaining is seriously overblown. I don't remember the last time I actually used the start menu in a way other than typing in what I wanted. Actually, I do. It was when Windows Vista came out.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Once you learn the Windows key shortcuts, you really don't miss it. I just had to put them on a on-screen note until I learned them. Hell I still find a new one now and then, or I did for a few weeks after I got it anyway.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm with all the cool dudes: Win8 is perfectly fine, and there's no need to install any sort of start menu app.

Just learn the new awesome shortcuts (win+x, win+i, win+c, win+p are a few) plus the win7 awesomeness (windows snap, win+arrows) and you'll be just fine.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    You shouldn't downgrade... you can just install something like Start8 to fix WIn8, and there's some minor stuff under the hood and a few Dialog improvements that might help make up for the tablet weirdness that might poke in through the seems every now and then. I would avoid Win8 on general principle, but if you already have it, converting it to something useful is a solved problem.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Or, just use the new Start screen as the Start menu. That's what I do. No "fix" needed.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    When I first got windows 8 I was a bit disappointed with it, but it is something that I definitely really enjoy now.

I like having the folder and different media options displayed as part of the ribbon of a window in explorer. I like how all I have to do is press the win key and type a few letters to get the application I want. I like keeping my desktop clear, so all I use the start window for is my frequently used applications, weather and news updates. I actually don't mind their email integration, now I have all of my accounts accessible at one spot. It's small things that have really made me enjoy it.

Try it out for a week, learn some tricks and then see how you like it.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Here's a linky that I saved pre-windows 8 for myself. http://lifehacker.com/5974318/downgrade-your-new-windows-8-computer-to-windows-7-for-free. I can't attest to the content as I had a restore partition to fall back on just in case.

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    There is no seriously no need to downgrade, especially when you haven't even used it yet. At least give Windows 8 a try before you go off and become 'that guy'.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling