As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask an Enforcer! (PAX Volunteer)

• AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    Danacyrus wrote: »
    Awko wrote: »
    But if no weapons are allowed how will people fear and obey the enforcers?

If you heard me telling you what to do :P You'd be scared. I'm a woman. What else do you need to fear.

There is nothing stronger than the fear of cooties.

Vapok wrote: »
    If gender can be considered a weapon, then I guess Spaceballs got it right..

Back on topic though, Enforcers don't need weapons. Our witty intelligence and quick thinking is all we need.

Funny anecdote: Because of my experiences with crowd management and line management working PAX, those skills sometimes carry over into "real life". Last night, I was at an awards ceremony for the web industry and sitting in a back row table. The bar stands were about 20 feet behind us, so people wanting a drink would line up. When there's 2000+ people there, the lines were pretty long and I guess they decided to queue right down through the tables making it impossible for anyone at our table to see the stage. I looked around and saw all this unused space. Verbalized, "I got this.", stood up, went to the part of the line where I wanted to bend, asked if they were in line for the bar, and then explained that I wanted to move the line so that it wasn't in the way. People listened so easily.. and I solved the problem. I sat back down, and one of the guys at our table said, "That's PAX experience right there!" =D

I know what you mean. If I use my surly bartending voice I can bring a crowd to its collective knees.

It also helps that it looks like there was a bear in my family tree.

• DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular

I know what you mean. If I use my surly bartending voice I can bring a crowd to its collective knees.

It also helps that it looks like there was a bear in my family tree.

Somehow this comes across as strangely attractive to me...

• zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Awww... young bears in love :)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    Rawr.

• DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Creepy.

• DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Urgh... Give me coffee and don't let me post after midnight.

DragonBear on
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    But if no weapons are allowed how will people fear and obey the enforcers?

We actively try our best not to be feared, hence the no masks or costume weapon policy for us. We try to make sure people obey us because we have their best interests in mind and we try to make sure what we say makes sense. For instance in Vapok's story of moving the line, the key point there was that he had a plan and communicated first with those in line. Communication is key. People are far more accommodating when they are communicated with and feel like people care about them.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • FPFr0styFPFr0sty Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Darth Vader anyone? (use the force).... Or a giant planet size raygun

FPFr0sty on
  • ZedCavalryZedCavalry I swear, I'm not that immature. Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    What's the youngest age a person can apply to be an enforcer? I assume that you need to be at least 18?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Unless Australia is different from East/Prime, then yes, 18 is the minimum age.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Utopia137Utopia137 Registered User regular
    Not sure if PAX has its own rules on ages but all Aussie cons usually stick to a 16+ rule for volunteers.

• ZedCavalryZedCavalry I swear, I'm not that immature. Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Unless Australia is different from East/Prime, then yes, 18 is the minimum age.
    Utopia137 wrote: »
    Not sure if PAX has its own rules on ages but all Aussie cons usually stick to a 16+ rule for volunteers.

Well, seeing as I'm 15, looks like I'll be waiting a few more years before joining the community of Enforcers. XD Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to enforce in a few years time!

Or you could grow a mustache and try to sneak in under age :)

zerochosen wrote: »
    Or you could grow a mustache and try to sneak in under age :)

Best I've got is some hair-like structures on my upper lip, and a slowly developing beard which looks more like whiskers right now. XD

edited December 2012
    6 months to go to grow that mo :)

zerochosen on
  • rithrith Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wow, after reading this thread, I really would like to become an enforcer.
    Hopefully more details are released about it soon as I am really excited for this.

• FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Not to poke the Bear or anything but do we know when Enforcer Applications will be taken?

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have heard nothing on that front. You could try messaging the PAX Aus twitter account for an official response.

edited January 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I have heard nothing on that front. You could try messaging the PAX Aus twitter account for an official response.

It was tweeted a couple days ago an announcement would be made "soon".

Is it safe to assume 3 individual day passes will be refunded if accepted? I know actual 3-day passes would be.. but I missed out on those.

rith on
    That is probably a reasonable assumption.

That is probably a reasonable assumption.
    Haha, thanks for the definitive answer. It probably won't make a difference to me though, I'll still be going. Just hope that those tickets won't be wasted if I do become an enforcer.

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    rith wrote: »
    Haha, thanks for the definitive answer. It probably won't make a difference to me though, I'll still be going. Just hope that those tickets won't be wasted if I do become an enforcer.

In the past I have made sure mine don't go to waste by not getting a refund but instead giving/selling at face value or less to a friend or friend of a friend who has no pass but wants to go. Feels good to help another gamer out and it works out because they love it so much they know to get in early the next year or become an Enforcer alongside me.

CuZZa wrote: »

In the past I have made sure mine don't go to waste by not getting a refund but instead giving/selling at face value or less to a friend or friend of a friend who has no pass but wants to go. Feels good to help another gamer out and it works out because they love it so much they know to get in early the next year or become an Enforcer alongside me.

Yea. Problem is, it would be hard for me to sell on since I'm living in Perth and giving it to someone else would require them to also organise a way to get to Melbourne.
    So I'm hoping Enforcer registrations and selections happen soon so I don't have to worry about this down the line! :)

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular

Yea. Problem is, it would be hard for me to sell on since I'm living in Perth and giving it to someone else would require them to also organise a way to get to Melbourne.
    So I'm hoping Enforcer registrations and selections happen soon so I don't have to worry about this down the line! :)

I would be highly surprised if there was not a demand, even in Perth, for a PAX Aus Badge set. I agree with what Cuzza says wholeheartedly. That having been said, as Zerzhul said, it's a reasonable assumption to assume that you will most likely be offered a refund should you end up volunteering.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
    Thanks for your responses guys!
    I'd really love to be an Enforcer, it sounds really fun and rewarding. Plus I love volunteering and making things happen.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    FatSoDa wrote: »
    Not to poke the Bear or anything but do we know when Enforcer Applications will be taken?

They often like to do one thing at a time. I would not be surprised if PAX Aus Enforcer applications do not open until PAX East applications close. But its all a guess, and there are probably a lot of variables affecting timing we know nothing about.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • E3gorE3gor Registered User new member
    So if your an enforcer and work for 6 hours can you go do your own thing at PAX after your shift is done? or do you have to go home?

• E3gorE3gor Registered User new member
    Oh by the way my friend wants a ticket so if any of you become and enforcer and can sell you ticket for PAX Australia to my friend that would be great :D

• vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    E3gor wrote: »
    So if your an enforcer and work for 6 hours can you go do your own thing at PAX after your shift is done? or do you have to go home?

You can do as you please....after your shift its your choice

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
    Oh by the way my friend wants a ticket so if any of you become and enforcer and can sell you ticket for PAX Australia to my friend that would be great :D

If you are selected, you can get a refund on your ticket... I don't think their is a problem with you giving your ticket away.

If I am wrong, no doubt Vapok or Zerzhul will correct me....

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Even if they don't offer refunds (which I kind of doubt), there's nothing stopping you from selling or gifting your pass away. Other than that, the above is true.

whypick1 wrote: »
    Even if they don't offer refunds.

They have confirmed it multiple times on Twitter

Just don't use these forums to offer passes for sale :) that is against our rules.

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Outside of your shift hours, your pass counts as a standard 3-day pass. You can go check out the Expo Hall, play games in TT/CFP/PCFP, buy Merch and attend concerts as normal. Nothing special, except that guy managing the line is someone you probably know and may want to hug.

In fact that usually goes for most attendees. Hug an Enforcer. They're pretty nice people.
    vjreddy12 wrote: »

If you are selected, you can get a refund on your ticket... I don't think their is a problem with you giving your ticket away.

If I am wrong, no doubt Vapok or Zerzhul will correct me....

If you become an Enforcer, you can get a refund on any passes you've purchased. Or you can sell/give it to another person if you'd like, just obey Wheaton's Law and don't profiteer off that.

• AmmamarieAmmamarie AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, Is there anyway to update my enforcer application?

E-mail klindsay@penny-arcade.com

• FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular

In fact that usually goes for most attendees. Hug an Enforcer. They're pretty nice people.

Ask first... always ask first, we dont want a repeat of the great hugging plague of 1965.

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
    MY GOD, THEY HUGGED US ALL!!!

• MelaynaMelayna Registered User regular
    Probably a stupid question, does PAX supply the enforcers with lunch etc or do you have to provide your own?

Full blown meals? No
    Light snacks? Yes