As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]More dots, more dots.... okay stop dots (Warlock thread)

• Options
    AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "Fill in a gap" sounds like the guild is PvE-oriented. And you can already breathe underwater as a Lock, so the UD breath thing is moot. Since they're likely a PvE-oriented guild you won't need WotF. You also won't need Mana Tap/Arcane Torrent, but I can picture you using it on trash. Just roll what you want, in PvE racials are usually a moot point. Though I hate Belves.

Fucking ladyboys.

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can imagine Cannibalize being amazingly helpful in leveling. Tap tap tap, munch munch munch. And yes, we're a PVE guild, but I would definitely be PVPing with the lock, too.

Still in the air on which racials unless someone says "omg i leveled both races to 70 and X clearly has an advantage"

emperorsargosa on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You won't need Cannibalize if you're levelling affliction as when you get the draintank talents you should be ending pretty much every fight with full health and mana anyway. And the Belf racials have their chance to shine in PvP as well.

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Tried 1/21/39 in SSC last night, the variant with as few fire talents as possible. I need to go screw around on the PTR with Dr Boom or something to figure out if the Corruption part is actually worth keeping. Shorter range on it alone is a problem. With 4-piece tier 5 it will be unquestionably worthwhile, I think, but that's looking way ahead. Overall aggro was an issue and I died on trash too much (big numbers syndrome) but my DPS was definitely higher, even with my shitty crit rating, and one less affliction lock meant no hitting the debuff cap. I wish I was more into World of Mathcraft. The balance between crit and hit rating and shadow damage makes my head hurt trying to figure out which gear I should swap in. I should go try to learn how to use those warlock DPS spread sheets, I guess.

Oh and Soul Leech is way more useful than I had expected. I really didn't have mana issues except on Morogrim, where I always had mana issues even as affliction. No shadow priest for locks plus people afraid to spot heal us when the murloc-tanking paladin is supposed to. /sigh Elemental shamans are so sexy though.

riz on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does that mean you're taking 4/5 shadow and flame, for .1 seconds off corruption? I don't know, that seems odd to me.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I read stuff in the past that the last SnF point doesn't add as much as having a Corruption that's quicker than the GCD. But I don't know how much that varies at different gear levels... Recent EJ posts were saying that keeping Corr/Immo going with a shadowbolt spam build is better for worse gear but once you start getting into T5/6 just spamming bolts will be better. lol math.

riz on
  • Options
    XArchangelXXArchangelX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cannibalize only works on humanoids, and is just too situational. Orc racial = free trinket, pet power.

XArchangelX on
    Eve Online is a terrible game, but I used to play, for the lulz!
    Steam
    Only the strong can help the weak.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Cannibalize only works on humanoids, and is just too situational. Orc racial = free trinket, pet power.

Yes and don't forget +10 to sexy.

riz on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    riz wrote: »

you are such a weirdo

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I read stuff in the past that the last SnF point doesn't add as much as having a Corruption that's quicker than the GCD. But I don't know how much that varies at different gear levels... Recent EJ posts were saying that keeping Corr/Immo going with a shadowbolt spam build is better for worse gear but once you start getting into T5/6 just spamming bolts will be better. lol math.

I'm not following. That would bring a 2 second cast down to 1.9 seconds. It's nowhere near the GCD with or without that one point.

Septus on
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It'd bring it down to a 1.6 speed cast.

FrylockHolmes on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Corruption starts at 2 seconds, one point in the talent is .1 seconds off, making it 1.9. I did look at the tier 5 set, and didn't see a cast time reducer there.

Septus on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Septus wrote: »

Corruption starts at 2 seconds, one point in the talent is .1 seconds off, making it 1.9. I did look at the tier 5 set, and didn't see a cast time reducer there.

corruption is a 2s cast with no talents. It is an instant cast with 5/5 talents. Each talent point reduces the spell's casting time equally.

might be getting it confused with immolate and bane

kaleedity on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    kaleedity wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

corruption is a 2s cast with no talents. It is an instant cast with 5/5 talents. Each talent point reduces the spell's casting time equally.

might be getting it confused with immolate and bane

Blah, instant, of course. I knew that, but I also knew that instant cast meant 1.5 second spammable, so that's where I got confused.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Little Jim wrote: »

you are such a weirdo

no

u

riz on
  • Options
    Viper007BondViper007Bond Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The balance between crit and hit rating and shadow damage makes my head hurt trying to figure out which gear I should swap in. I should go try to learn how to use those warlock DPS spread sheets, I guess.

Hit is hugely important. Just one resist means a ton of damage lost. I find though that getting to 150-160 hit rating seems to get the job done rather than going all the way to the cap. I did like 90 shadow bolts or something and got only 1 or 2 resists.

After that, I've personally given up some crit for damage. Since we're Warlocks, base damage not only increases our shadow bolt damage, it also increases our DoT damage which works out to more damage total I think.

So, hit >>> dmg > crit (to a point)

Viper007Bond on
    [Sig removed for breaking the h-scroll. -Bogey]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yes, but then, crit increases the uptime of the shadow vuln proc, which is terribly helpful for your other warlocks and shadowpriests. I think the value of crit entirely depends on your raid composition.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I swapped to 0/21/40 with about 14% hit, 17% crit, and ~1200 effective shadow damage (like 1000 and change plus Crusade plus fel armour) and oh god I am never respeccing again. Hitting 1500 DPS on Vashj phase 1 yes plz. The lack of raid utility is kinda off-putting but we still have two affliction locks and at least I went back to 1/2 healthstone. Weighing gear differently will be an adjustment but then it will be nice not to have to just roll my eyes at all the "useless" crit on high-end gear.

riz on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Cannibalize works on Undead and Humanoids.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

you are such a weirdo

I'm with Riz. Orc chicks are sexy.

Troll chicks are better, but there are no Troll Warlocks.

For Horde Warlocks, I'd say Orc or *shudder*Blood Elf.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

you are such a weirdo

Female Orc Warlock for the win!

Silpheed on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If they hadn't nerfed male orc shoulders, the Horde Warlock race of choice would have been clear. Orcs are still in the lead (their racials are more universally useful, IMO), but I want my humongous shoulders back god damnit.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    every horde should be a male orc

they are the best

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »

you are such a weirdo

Female Orc Warlock for the win!

Best part about being a caster is that unless you twink them out, you can run around naked from level 1-15.

15 levels of big orc booty, ladies and gentlemen.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I swapped to 0/21/40 with about 14% hit, 17% crit, and ~1200 effective shadow damage (like 1000 and change plus Crusade plus fel armour) and oh god I am never respeccing again. Hitting 1500 DPS on Vashj phase 1 yes plz. The lack of raid utility is kinda off-putting but we still have two affliction locks and at least I went back to 1/2 healthstone. Weighing gear differently will be an adjustment but then it will be nice not to have to just roll my eyes at all the "useless" crit on high-end gear.

Link you armory page please. Curious as to your spec. I'm a shadow destro lock, but I'm 31/2/28 (dark pact / SM / ruin).

I'm always looking for new / better specs as long as they aren't fire based (I like my shadow and all my gear is +shadow).

Viper007Bond on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    every horde should be a male orc

they are the best
    I already get the "gorilla in a bathrobe" look with my human male Warlock. Now I want to see some shakin' green booty while I'm collecting peoples souls.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Link you armory page please. Curious as to your spec. I'm a shadow destro lock, but I'm 31/2/28 (dark pact / SM / ruin).

I'm always looking for new / better specs as long as they aren't fire based (I like my shadow and all my gear is +shadow).

Yeah fuck fire. That's the caveat I'll give re: my spec though. It's probably not ideal but I decided to try putting the filler points in Cataclysm instead of Emberstorm to combat the mana inefficiency destro is supposed to have, and I skipped Conflag. I basically Immolate and then spam shadowbolts while staring at Omen. http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&n=Vreki

riz on
  • Options
    zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah fuck fire. That's the caveat I'll give re: my spec though. It's probably not ideal but I decided to try putting the filler points in Cataclysm instead of Emberstorm to combat the mana inefficiency destro is supposed to have, and I skipped Conflag. I basically Immolate and then spam shadowbolts while staring at Omen. http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&n=Vreki

Ahh... that's how to do it. I was wondering where to put points past Imp. Immolate - I'm interested in that spec, but I don't want to get Conflag or Emberstorm.

Me likey shadow damage. I also haven't been deep in the Destruction tree since the trees were changed.

By the way, how is your mana even with Cataclysm? Do you have to chug mana pots often during the raid, or do you sac felhunter for mana regen? Or do you go with the succubus for damage?

zagi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sac succubus, and I didn't feel like I had mana issues at all. I used a few more pots, especially on Tidewalker but that fight sucks for us regardless. I don't know which thing to credit more, Cataclysm or Soul Leech (which is actually awesome if you keep your affliction habit of never being at full HP) or getting more out of spot heals with better fel armor... It seemed to work though.

riz on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Does anyone else besides me have no interest whatsoever in T5 in terms of raiding? Sure, the 4 set is decent, but the 2 set just plain sucks. I mean, who uses a pet in PvE besides an Imp anyway?

Viper007Bond on
  • Options
    Thomase1984Thomase1984 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    hat shoulders and chest to look like a goddamn nightmare. wouldnt take it over others who need upgrades though.

Thomase1984 on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dath%27Remar&n=Vardogr
    So I'm working on getting the PvP blues ('cause I doubt I'll ever see enough Arena Points to get any of that stuff)
    What should I get next? I'll have ~1700 honor by the end of today.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    terminal stupidityterminal stupidity Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Look into getting the epic bracers.

Those are pretty much the best wrist slot item you can get outside of raiding/arena gear.

You just have to stomach a lot of WSG games.

terminal stupidity on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ooh, Wsg I don't hate. We win sometimes.
    I was considering the blue pants for the +35 resilience bonus (And they're an upgrade :X)
    Not sure if it's updated, but I got the gloves.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Look into getting the epic bracers.

Those are pretty much the best wrist slot item you can get outside of raiding/arena gear.

You just have to stomach a lot of WSG games.

The bracers are pretty damn sweet. And they'll last you an incredibly long time even if you are raiding or doing Arenas, unless you're in a raiding guild that is already working its way through The Eye. Arena sets don't have bracers, you're supposed to wear the non-set epics from battlegrounds. And on the raiding side, Maiden drops a set of cloth bracers that are almost identical, but then no boss drops an upgrade for them until Al'ar.

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I figure I'll just PvP till the expansion comes out. Raiding isn't really my cup of tea.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    JextJext Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just have to say, the name of this thread reminds me of that crazy bastard from the onyxia video we all know and love, Dives. Imagine my surprise when after my guild moved from our old server, we met the guy in a guild called Wipe Club on our new server. We played a bit with him and his guild in old ZG and the likes, and he is every bit as funny on VT as he is in the soundclip. He literally screams in that crazy finnish accent when shit hits the fan and makes raids SO much more enjoyable.

As one of his guildmembers said about raiding with him: "Ever raid brings the chance of a complete DKP wipe for basically every member capable of screwing up at anything."

Jext on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Charus wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    How do I solo level a Warlock. My first Warlock mind you.

I have played, since beta no less, exclusively melee classes. Warrior, Rogue, Paladin and Rogue again all to 60 (second Rogue to 70)

How do I do this?

Quick and dirty guide to how you play an affliction warlock:

Stat preference on gear: Spell damage > Stamina = Intellect (show a preference to stamina at later levels) > everything else >>>>>>>>>>> Spirit.

1-10, just nuke mobs down. Use your imp to help you out.

10-30, send in your voidwalker, let it get in a few of its aggro moves, then put on your dots and then wand/Drain Life it down. Once you have 5/5 Fel Concentration, move onto drain tanking. The higher you go, the less you should worry about the Voidwalker holding aggro.

30-70 Drain tanking:

-Have out a succubus (or voidwalker or phase shifted imp, at later levels you should know what you should have out), send it in against a mob.

-Wind up an immolate (or Unstable Affliction at 50+) at the same time, and it should pull aggro off the succubus and onto you. This is good (you're much more durable and much easier to heal than the succubus).

-Put the rest of your dots on.

-If you have a reasonably high health, life tap, then drain life the mob to death at point blank range. You should be able to out-drain the damage most normal mobs do to you.

-Once it's dead, loot, then do a move that regains you mana (life tap + bandage/cannibalize, Dark pact), and as long as you're reasonably full on health and mana, move onto the next one. The more spell damage you have, the easier it is to keep constantly full on mana and health.

Prior to level 62, Try to never have completely full health while grinding, if your health is ever higher than your mana, life tap till they even out (this is so your health regen from demon armor is always doing something). At level 62, you get Fel Armor, and at that point trumpets should start playing and a message should pop up that says "You win the game," because once you start breaking the zero-sum nature of draining, it's just stupidly easy to keep yourself alive. Oh, and the extra spell damage isn't too bad either.
    Neat. Can someone link me to an affliction build? I'm currently 24 demonology. Should I switch now? I've been putting random points into whatever in demonology knowing I'd switch to affliction anyaways.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This is a decent build to fill out while levelling to 70: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IiMriRbkqtbofxczcb

At 70 you can instance with that build but it's advisable to throw the points from Demo into Destro for something akin to my build, which you can find on the armory.

Fill in the Afflic tree first, of course.

Additionally, I'd suggest going for a Demo build until 62 when you get Fel Armor and drain tanking becomes incredible easysauce. Demo is very gear-independent. Don't bother trying to stay at full health and mana as healing the Felguard and Life Tapping to give him mana after fights won't let you do that. A good demo build to level with is http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=AVMbZ0gczIizceszxx0z (Make sure to get 5/5 Imp Corruption first).

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • Options
    zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have the Mystical Skyfire Diamond (5% spellcast - next spell in half time) socketed in my helm currently. I'm wondering if I should've socketed it with the Swift Skyfire Diamond (+12 spell damage, minor speed increase) instead.

Is 12 more spell damage a bigger dps boost over the half cast time one? Or does it make not much difference?

I'm Affliction spec, btw, I spend a good chunk of the raid shadowbolting, though.

zagi on