As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The State Of Pennsylvania Vs. The NCAA] - I'm Rooting For Team Meteor

1235»

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    And yet he never got a job anywhere else, and just quietly disappeared. Yeah that's not suspect at all.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    And yet he never got a job anywhere else, and just quietly disappeared. Yeah that's not suspect at all.

You are seriously approaching "Obama is coming for all our guns" levels here.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Look no ones coming for my guns, because these things are already registered for deadly sexyness.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

No, he's not. He's making the valid point that someone like Sandusky should have been on the radars of several programs looking for a new coach. Yet when he left PSU, he seemed to fade into the ether. That's more than a little odd.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular

No, he's not. He's making the valid point that someone like Sandusky should have been on the radars of several programs looking for a new coach. Yet when he left PSU, he seemed to fade into the ether. That's more than a little odd.

It's not uncommon for coaches who retire from coaching to not coach anymore.

I would download a car.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

Except he volunteered at high schools and what not. He was still interested.

And he retired way young for a football coach.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    None of the 98 stuff even matters.

When McQueary came to Paterno, Paterno clearly believed him. There's no reason for him not to believe McQueary. He recruited, coached, hired, and promoted McQueary and would have had no reason to doubt what he saw. He took actions - meeting with and notifying Curley - that are in line with believing McQueary.

And...that was pretty much it. Oh, Sandusky's locker room keys were taken away. That's it. No police investigation. No followup. No news story. Nothing.

Paterno never once followed up on this major thing that happened in his own locker room? This situation that involved a current and former coach and some pretty major allegations? Bullshit. If he didn't, it was because he washed his hands of it and decided he didn't care what happened as long as the fallout didn't affect him.

Since I'm not on a jury, and Paterno's not facing criminal charges, reasonable doubt doesn't really matter. To me, what's clear is that he - the leader of the 'Grand Experiment' took the easy way out when it mattered most.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

Except he volunteered at high schools and what not. He was still interested.

And he retired way young for a football coach.

Interested but not committed. It was no secret that he had stopped going on recruiting trips out of state after 97, and the 99 team (his last year coaching) had an epic late season defensive collapse on what should have been a team playing for the national title, with two defensive players that were literally the first two picks in that years draft.

That was a pretty damned stacked defense, and they couldn't stop anyone when it mattered. Not exactly a sterling note to go out on. And of course, all of that is ignoring the fact that perhaps Sandusky didn't want to leave his little playground. Which I find way more likely than Paterno calling up every school in the country and telling them "By the way, don't hire Jerry, he touches little boys."
    zagdrob wrote: »

When McQueary came to Paterno, Paterno clearly believed him. There's no reason for him not to believe McQueary. He recruited, coached, hired, and promoted McQueary and would have had no reason to doubt what he saw. He took actions - meeting with and notifying Curley - that are in line with believing McQueary.

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you think McQuery told him?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Boosters donate less to PSU, more to the football team.

Something is very wrong with this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    From the sounds of the article, it's not that more was donated to the football team, but that - of the the boosters who still donated to the school's athletic department, which dropped by 25% - a larger number of them requested that their donations be earmarked for the football program.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

And...that was pretty much it. Oh, Sandusky's locker room keys were taken away. That's it. No police investigation. No followup. No news story. Nothing.

Paterno never once followed up on this major thing that happened in his own locker room? This situation that involved a current and former coach and some pretty major allegations? Bullshit. If he didn't, it was because he washed his hands of it and decided he didn't care what happened as long as the fallout didn't affect him.

Since I'm not on a jury, and Paterno's not facing criminal charges, reasonable doubt doesn't really matter. To me, what's clear is that he - the leader of the 'Grand Experiment' took the easy way out when it mattered most.

This wasn't the first time Paterno ignored something that warranted the law to get involved in protecting students. I read an article, which was posted either here or a previous thread, that involved death threats against black students which he blew off. That escalated into a protest and later on a student being murdered near the campus.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Boosters donate less to PSU, more to the football team.

Something is very wrong with this.

Seems about what I expected.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Something very wrong at Penn State?

You don't say...

I'm sorry, but that program should have gotten the 'death penalty'. Burn it to the ground and salt the earth.