As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Company of Heroes] scratching Helmut's new paint job (Mediterranean Front confirmed)

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    CheapAssGamer is giving away more Beta codes. Think there might be a minimum membership requirement but not sure.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/codes.php

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    this game.

this game......... squint.

I don't know if I should submit myself to Relic again...

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    After digging through the sides, I found them to have quite a few differences already. I've definitely not seen anything that would make me call CoH2 a generic rts though. Directional cover, on and off map indirect fire, weapon angles of fire, suppression, complex armor (penetration values, armor facings ect) and vehicle damage elements are all there, and seem to work much like CoH1 did. It's not as realistic as Men of War but neither was CoH1. So to me if all that is present, how can it be a generic rts when the only rts games I can think of that have that are DoW2, CoH1, and Men of War?

Now I'm not saying I think CoH2 is perfect by any stretch. I some ways I don't think its quite different enough from CoH1 to really get me super excited. It is however pretty cool and alot of fun so far, which is good enough for me since that's why I play games in the first place.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Is that 45 dollar preorder the best available? I want it. I want it bad.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    After digging through the sides, I found them to have quite a few differences already. I've definitely not seen anything that would make me call CoH2 a generic rts though. Directional cover, on and off map indirect fire, weapon angles of fire, suppression, complex armor (penetration values, armor facings ect) and vehicle damage elements are all there, and seem to work much like CoH1 did. It's not as realistic as Men of War but neither was CoH1. So to me if all that is present, how can it be a generic rts when the only rts games I can think of that have that are DoW2, CoH1, and Men of War?

Now I'm not saying I think CoH2 is perfect by any stretch. I some ways I don't think its quite different enough from CoH1 to really get me super excited. It is however pretty cool and alot of fun so far, which is good enough for me since that's why I play games in the first place.

I agree with most of this.

Job one: Fix the shitty UI. The rest will follow.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Yeah if I had to say anything its that the UI could be a bit cleaner and show info a bit better.

Those unit upgrade boxes are just so tiny, I miss them a lot of the time.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    woo got me a beta key

this site seems to be giving away a bunch

http://www.curse.com/betas/company-of-heroes-2

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Yeah if I had to say anything its that the UI could be a bit cleaner and show info a bit better.

Those unit upgrade boxes are just so tiny, I miss them a lot of the time.

I agree. The design of the original UI was better and shouldn't have been changed.

• Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    woo got me a beta key

Thank for this! is it a 'time restricted stress-test'? i.e. should I get my time in this weekend?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It will last a few weeks at least.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    woo got me a beta key

Thanks a lot for this, been looking for a key!

• Options
    Yeah I'm not too fond of the UI either. It feels really cluttered and hard to read at a glance. I do however really like the unit list in the upper right. I can easily select any of my units from anywhere on the map without looking at them. I also like the status icons it puts on them, like idle / in light / heavy cover, doods in the squad / health, that kind of thing. The rest is kind of messy and too busy looking.

• Options
    Wow did anyone else get rolled? I tried a comp stomp on easy against the Russians...it did not start or end well.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Wow did anyone else get rolled? I tried a comp stomp on easy against the Russians...it did not start or end well.

You require additional comrades.

• Options
    Don't compstomp. Play against people.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    There are warning signs for minefields now, lol! That's a nice touch.

Unit quotes aren't as memorable compared to the original, although there are some decent lines.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Prisca wrote: »

Unit quotes aren't as memorable compared to the original, although there are some decent lines.

I always suspected that was going to be the case, largely because it's all Russian and German sides talking in English. I'm sure it's hard enough not to make every other line sound completely Hollywood cheesy.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    The unit lines were people talking in English last time; but we still got ace lines like the Volksgrenadier, Pak38, StuG...

There's less humor injected in the lines here and there. Which is too bad. Pak guy is still sort of ornery in this game though.

• Options
    Nothing will ever come close to

"Jesus Conrad, tie your fucking laces!"

• Options
    Sarge yelling under fire: "Do you really think this helmet will stop a bullet?!"

• Options
    Anyone wanna try a compstomp? Hell_Rell on Steam.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I really liked CoH, but I'm seriously worried about the monetizing DLC. Paying for doctrines? Campaign missions? This is a concerning precedent for CoH, which originally had exceptional expansion packs and not DLC packs.

I want a beta key, but not enough to put down $60

• Options
    edited April 2013
    subedii wrote: »
    Prisca wrote: »

I always suspected that was going to be the case, largely because it's all Russian and German sides talking in English. I'm sure it's hard enough not to make every other line sound completely Hollywood cheesy.
    Aw, come on, the original German lines had some really good stuff in there (skip to 46 seconds for the Germans):

http://youtu.be/9mwJaQCf6to

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    no love for the Kinderparty? :(

• Options
    There aren't any good recordings/videos of them. This is the best I can find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4SpP7VBtA8

• Options
    Man those are funny. For all the time I've played CoH there were a few in there I had not heard.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I wish I could talk about this game. There's so much I'd love to talk about, both good and ill.

Anyways, at some point today Company of Heroes 1 servers will be migrating from Relic Online to Steamworks. Hopefully this will be a vast improvement and breath some life into the game before CoH2 hits the shelves. I know I will be checking it out!

We should get folks together and play around on the new servers. I'm intrigued to see if this will bring the matchmaking into being playable for non-1v1 and 2v2 games.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    ohhhh! So I assume we'll be able to activate our non-Steam CoH games on Steam?

• Options
    I believe that Sepah did something of the sort a few hours ago.

I actually rebought the game for steam already when it was super cheap during a sale...

• Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    I can confirm that yes, I activated my retail cd key for CoH on Steam. I'm not sure how to opt-in to this new Steamworks online thing for the matchmaking.

• Options
    It may seem kinda silly, but I've been having alot of fun playing as Soviets while listening to the C&C Red Alert sound track. Hell March yeah!! :D

• Options
    Jesus this game is hard

Was playing with 2 friends and we were getting rolled by 2 easy computers

then we decided to actually play real people and it matches us with people who were all level 15 or higher

how are we meant to get better if we don't have a chance :(

• Options
    Level doesn't correspond to skill in CoH 2, it's just based on XP which you get just for playing. And you can get better even if you lose...

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Level doesn't correspond to skill in CoH 2, it's just based on XP which you get just for playing. And you can get better even if you lose...

What.

One of the best parts in CoH was the rank in automatch. Very few people ever hit level 10 and even then, losing could set you back. I have a huge gripe with games that "rank" you up so everyone eventually becomes a five-star general.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Yeah, don't sweat level too much. It does correspond to people's experience with the game but other than that it's fairly meaningless. This game is not CoHO like in that level and items make a massive difference.

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    So any other beta keys floating around?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    VeritasVR wrote: »

What.

One of the best parts in CoH was the rank in automatch. Very few people ever hit level 10 and even then, losing could set you back. I have a huge gripe with games that "rank" you up so everyone eventually becomes a five-star general.
    There's a way to see your ELO if you look through the game files so maybe they will find a way to display that during automatch. At the very least I'm sure they will have ladders so everyone will be ranked even if there isn't a number corresponding to the rank.

• Options
    So basically it behaves like the levels for each "race" in DOW2, and skill is separate.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm crushing the standard computer pretty well lately. Still not very good, no actual solid build orders, strategies or micro, but I can hold my own "general mellee" style.

God I hate the fucking mortars the computer makes like crazy.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    What's with the Russian subject line?