As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    We need more of that last quote from that chart.

The one about God?

I vote no.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    We need more of that last quote from that chart.

The one about God?

I vote no.

The one about them realizing they aren't one.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I think religious people learning to keep their religion to themselves is exactly what we need. For multiple reasons.

I don't really need anyone to use the word "judge" when talking about LGBT rights, even if it's in a missive "Only God can judge" capacity, because it's horseshit coding that means that they're still being judgmental.

edited April 2013
    Well, that poll was reasons why people have changed their minds to support same-sex marriage. So if they're doing the right thing, by supporting my right as a citizen to get married they can use the word all day long.

This isn't the same thing as that woman you quoted that said you can be nice while disagreeing. This isn't the same thing as smiling at me on the street while using your vote to stab me in the back. The person who said that supports same-sex marriage because its not their place to judge people.

Supporting something you personally disagree with because you recognize that persons constitutional rights is kind of a good thing.

Viskod on
    Viskod wrote: »
    Supporting something you personally disagree with because you recognize that persons constitutional rights is kind of a good thing.

It is, and I'd much rather have begrudging support than no support at all, but it's still coming from a bad place.

But things are changing, and much quicker than I think most would have expected, so I retain my optimism.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Wow.
    (CNN) -- Mixed martial arts organization UFC has suspended fighter Matt Mitrione indefinitely for comments made in an interview Monday night about transgender MMA fighter Fallon Fox.

Born a man, Fox became a woman through surgery and then trained to fight in mixed martial arts, a story that she revealed earlier to Sports Illustrated.

One of Fox's recent female competitors criticized her for not disclosing that she had had a sex change operation before fighting. Fox, who disclosed the operation after the match, won.

Mitrione, a former NFL player, appeared Monday on a show called "The MMA Hour."

He said: "I have not seen a man beat a woman like that since Chris Brown beat Rihanna."

"That is a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak," Mitrione said. "And I mean that. Because you lied on your license to beat up women. That's disgusting. You should be embarrassed yourself."

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Not saying he has a point to say those things but wouldn't a m-f trans have an advantage due to testosterone production or other body workings?

Wasnt there was something similar with that one female Olympian runner discovering she was actually a male (or something. She was born that way though and not via operation/therophy).

newSig.jpg
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Good lord. Sounds like he even managed to slander the whole female division. They aren't really professional fighters, you see, they're girls playing professional fighter. Whereas Fox is a real fighter, because she has a Y chromosome, so how dare she.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Not saying he has a point to say those things but wouldn't a m-f trans have an advantage due to testosterone production or other body workings?

Wasnt there was something similar with that one female Olympian runner discovering she was actually a male (or something. She was born that way though and not via operation/therophy).

I think in these cases they have some requirements for things that would give you an advantage, probably something like "female hormone profile for a year" or something like that, not just "I identify as female as of two hours ago". If you've undergone the physical transition your advantage decays after.. a few months, maybe? I'm a bit spotty on the details but I think that's the idea. (Observe, matching the characteristics of the target gender is sort of the point, right?)

Tenek wrote: »

I think in these cases they have some requirements for things that would give you an advantage, probably something like "female hormone profile for a year" or something like that, not just "I identify as female as of two hours ago". If you've undergone the physical transition your advantage decays after.. a few months, maybe? I'm a bit spotty on the details but I think that's the idea. (Observe, matching the characteristics of the target gender is sort of the point, right?)

Yeah, I read her response, she says the Doc cleared her to fight as a woman, and her body doesn't look like anything I haven't seen on a natural-born* lady before.

*(Is this what cis-gendered means? I can never remember)

Good lord. Sounds like he even managed to slander the whole female division. They aren't really professional fighters, you see, they're girls playing professional fighter. Whereas Fox is a real fighter, because she has a Y chromosome, so how dare she.

I'm not seeing it as an attack on the entire female division. A lot of sports are divided on gender lines so women can compete, so a man fighting a woman would have an unfair advantage. The problem is he's saying she's not really female.

Yeah, I read her response, she says the Doc cleared her to fight as a woman, and her body doesn't look like anything I haven't seen on a natural-born* lady before.

Yes. Basically the complement to trans-.

I'm not seeing it as an attack on the entire female division. A lot of sports are divided on gender lines so women can compete, so a man fighting a woman would have an unfair advantage. The problem is he's saying she's not really female.
    Maybe I need to see a picture of her opponent (who's name I can't find? This should be easy... ), but she has the physique that I would expect a professional female fighter to have so I'm assuming no obvious advantage on her part. Absent that, all that remains is well-meaning sexism.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Sports seems to be one of the harder areas to come up with general solutions when it comes to cis-gendered individuals - much less when someone is trans-gendered.

There are some legitimate topics of discussion about what constitutes true equality and is fair for all involved. For example, as Nocren said - a m-f trans may have an advantage due to testosterone production. Lots of times it is going to come down to case by case evaluations and be up to the sport's governing body, the individuals competing, their doctors, etc.

I think most people are going to agree that this is an area that can have some legitimate disagreement that isn't necessarily based in bigotry.

That said, Mitrione is just an asshole and bigot. He managed to insult trans people as a group, as well as the entire women's division.

Maybe I need to see a picture of her opponent (who's name I can't find? This should be easy... ), but she has the physique that I would expect a professional female fighter to have so I'm assuming no obvious advantage on her part. Absent that, all that remains is well-meaning sexism.

That's not how I'm reading it at all. I have a hard time seeing "sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak" without getting a massive dose of transphobia. Sexism would only come into play if you don't think men have a general advantage over women in MMA... which would also mean there's no reason to complain about fighting a transwoman in the first place.

Latin roots, and all that.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Sports seems to be one of the harder areas to come up with general solutions when it comes to cis-gendered individuals - much less when someone is trans-gendered.

There are some legitimate topics of discussion about what constitutes true equality and is fair for all involved. For example, as Nocren said - a m-f trans may have an advantage due to testosterone production. Lots of times it is going to come down to case by case evaluations and be up to the sport's governing body, the individuals competing, their doctors, etc.

I think most people are going to agree that this is an area that can have some legitimate disagreement that isn't necessarily based in bigotry.

That said, Mitrione is just an asshole and bigot. He managed to insult trans people as a group, as well as the entire women's division.

Everything I've read (which isn't much) says that advantage only lasts a few months at most.

Also, I think the issue of transwomen athletes is a complex one that probably will need to be judged on a case-by-case basis. The entire purpose of a women's division is to offer a level field of competition with the tacit admission that female athletes aren't comparable to male athletes in terms of skill and/or physical prowess. If there are ways that a transwoman or transwomen as a group could possibly regularly subvert that appeal to equal footing, then I think there's a genuine case to keep transwomen out of competition. Basketball immediately springs to mind, since even after hormone therapy transwomen basketballers would likely have a distinct height advantage over ciswomen, on average.

But if there isn't a reasonable and empirical objection to transwomen in competition, then there shouldn't be any effort to keep them out, though I do imagine a strict set of qualifiers may be needed depending on the sport.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    State attorney general sues flower shop for discriminating against day couple.

Heh. Enjoy your lawsuit and legal fees, you earned them.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Why are these people too stupid to say "Sorry, but I just can't." Why must they tack on "Because the gays!"?

Fencingsax wrote: »
    Why are these people too stupid to say "Sorry, but I just can't." Why must they tack on "Because the gays!"?

Because the same mechanism that makes them bigots also makes them stupid.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Stutzman has said she isn’t against gays but that she shouldn’t be judged for her belief that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.
    God, that is the stupidest shit. "I want to hold a belief, but I don't want anyone to evaluate me based upon it! That wouldn't be fair!"

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Delicious.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

What is the point in hating people if they don't know why you hate them?

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Well, it's because in their eyes they AREN'T doing anything wrong.

They think if they say "Sorry, but I just can't" then they gays wouldn't know why. The gays might go on thinking they are accepted and able to live normal lives, without realizing that there are people who see them and think how disgusting they are. If gays start thinking that, pretty soon they won't know their place. Even worse, the gays might think something is wrong with THEM - the good god fearing Christian - and not realize THEY are perfectly fine and capable, the GAYS are the problem.

They somehow think they are being persecuted and their way of life is under attack. They have convinced themselves they are fighting the good fight, they are the people taking a stand. They suffer from too much cognitive dissonance and to realize that they aren't the Jews, they are the Nazis.

edited April 2013
    Thanatos wrote: »

Stutzman has said she isn’t against gays but that she shouldn’t be judged for her belief that marriage should only be between a man and a woman.
    God, that is the stupidest shit. "I want to hold a belief, but I don't want anyone to evaluate me based upon it! That wouldn't be fair!"

Someone needs to remind her that she's not being judged because of her beliefs, she's being judged because she broke state law.

I remember posting about this back when it happened. The couple in question didn't even want to press any charges because they had been customers for so long and were just let down but went elsewhere and moved on.

Viskod on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    While I don't blame the couple for not wanting to get caught up in a lawsuit against an asshole, this is why I'm glad the state's attorney has the balls to do his job.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »

Someone needs to remind her that she's not being judged because of her beliefs, she's being judged because she broke state law.

I remember posting about this back when it happened. The couple in question didn't even want to press any charges because they had been customers for so long and were just let down but went elsewhere and moved on.
    Oh, she's totally being judged for her beliefs. Which is fine, because they're her beliefs.

If she doesn't like how people are judging her for them, then she shouldn't have them.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Everything I've read (which isn't much) says that advantage only lasts a few months at most.

Anecdotal evidence indicates that this is the case.

I dunno what my strength would be compared to a cis lady of my height, but I can tell you I'm much, much weaker than I was last year.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Montana's House approved a bill today which seeks to repeal the state's long-active law making gay sex illegal, 64-36. The House will vote a final time on the bill, as early as tomorrow, and it is expected to pass again and be signed into law.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's weird to me that things SCOTUS has ruled illegal get repealed still.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

Lemme just note that Matt Mitrione's nickname was already, "Meathead." He doesn't exactly have the reputation as a deep thinker.

I doubt he even really has any conception of what trans is vs just cross-dressing.

As far as trans athletes competing, most stuff I've seen when we've had previous conversations about this boils down to, "It's complex and we're really not sure"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I dunno what my strength would be compared to a cis lady of my height, but I can tell you I'm much, much weaker than I was last year.

What about height and weight advantages from growing up male from adolesence to adulthood?

(Not being argumentative, just curious.)

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

Which / who's doctor cleared her to fight as a woman?

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

What about height and weight advantages from growing up male from adolesence to adulthood?

(Not being argumentative, just curious.)

I'm really not an expert on sports, but in this case weight class should eliminate weight advantages and height is...

Well, there is a lot of overlap. But the real thing is that no one is going to throw a cis woman out for her height, so that is worth thinking about.

Overall there is simply insufficient research for speculation. And the only way to do research is to let people fight. So...

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    What is measured in a sporting competition, though? If it's who has best honed their body into a machine designed for this purpose, then nobody starts from exactly the same body or even the same upbringing. If we simply want an entertaining match whose conclusion is uncertain, then trans contenders should also be no problem, as it's by no means certain that they are able to win against cis women. Neither fairness nor entertainment seem like good reasons to exclude them from the contest.

Moreover, if you exclude them, you have to exclude them from all fighting. If an mtf trans person is more likely to win against a cis woman, she's also more likely to lose against a cis man. They could have a league of their own, but it would be small, largely uncommercial, and subject to similar issues of trying to match up trans men and trans women.

It's bullshit, really, since everyone involved in pro whatever is a distinct individual who may have a very different body, training regimen, strategy, etc. There's no equal ground here, and what there is is accomplished via matchmaking and classes, which you can do anyway with trans fighters.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    Overall there is simply insufficient research for speculation. And the only way to do research is to let people fight. So...

There is also very little research into the effects of mud on female's combat abilities. Now that we've established that my mud-wrestling league is, like, totally sciencey, where do I send my grant application?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So here's a legitimate question.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut or a pilot, and not in the "when I grow up I'm gonna be a pirate" way, I mean space fascinated me and I wanted to get as close to it as possible.

Then I found out my vision was bad, and that I was colorblind. Even if I had my nearsightedness surgically corrected, it would be impossible to cure my color differentiation problems and I was told, Gattica-style, that the only way I was going to see the inside of a space shuttle was if I was cleaning it. I gave up on it and ended up interested in the planet we're on, which is how I wound up with a degree in environmental science.

But, if I had not been discouraged from pursuing a career in aerospace, I might have pursued it. Maybe I would have kept a closer eye on a procedure which would enable me to be eligible for a career as a pilot.

Now suppose there is a person born with two X chromosomes, but they identify as a man. They're told their entire life they would be unable to compete with men in a toe-to-toe physical competition. Instead of accepting that they will never be able to compete against the gender with whom they identify themselves, they find out that there are ways to be physically who they are mentally. Eventually, they have gender-corrective surgery and attempt to compete with men, possibly successfully and possibly not.

If people are really concerned only about a perceived and potential advantage due to prior medical status (because that's essentially what gender is; people put some higher emphasis on gender possibly due to religion i.e. God created them male and female, but really sex is just about genetics, hormones and the bits you do or do not possess), shouldn't the only thing that matters be that you meet a certain medical criteria? If my colorblindness was cured, then there should be no obstacle to me becoming a pilot, correct? Then why is gender any different, whether it increases or decreases a perceived advantage or disadvantage?

The more the lines between gender become blurred (not a bad thing), the less certain I am that the best way to have sports divided is by gender. We're not talking about bathrooms; there are plenty of women I know who could kick my ass every which way. There are plenty of men I know who have more interest in poetry than hitting the gym.

Obviously it isn't as easy as saying, "Ok, sports are co-ed now, and you don't get to be a pro unless you can compete with these huge guys over here!" Women get paid the same to play tennis as men do, as it should be, and the division of genders increases the likelihood of women being professional athletes, which I also consider important. I think it would make more sense to have different divisions of mixed-gender professionals though, as long as there was a way to do so without discouraging a specific gender from participation.

If such a system could be implemented, maybe it would cut down a little bit on this whole, "She used to have male hormones! Unfair!" garbage. I used to be a teenager with boundless energy, but that's hardly putting me in the same physical league as a high school varsity football linebacker today. Hell, it wouldn't have put me in that league back when I was a teenager.

Don't get me wrong, I have no delusions that this is anything other than an idealistic thought process. But the "beating up girls" line drives me fucking crazy; it's like we stepped back into the age of chivalry where a woman's place is in bed making babies and not on the battlefield. Two women stepped into the ring and one of them won. The argument that it happened because one of them possessed a Y chromosome is stupid as shit. My wife is a personal trainer who could probably bench me.

The solution to this, and all sports, is to gene sequence all contenders, determine their maximum physical potential had they been raised on an aggressive training regimen and diet from birth, and have their potential selves compete in simulated competition.

This notion has not gained much support as no one seems to think that sports are a problem that needed to be solved. So, whatever. Keep getting all sweaty if that's your thing, humans.