As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4e] WLD, Region A. Kobold ambush!

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in Critical Failures
wld-lg.jpg

FAQs
What is the World's Largest Dungeon?
The World's Largest Dungeon was a 3.0 supplement put out by Alderac Entertainment Group (AEG) back in 2004. It touts a whole bunch of gimmicks ("All the monsters from the Monster Manual!"), but all you really need to know is that it's one Hell of a dungeon crawl.

Is there any plot?
Technically yes. The first few pages have "reasons you might go here", including a couple amusing tables you can roll on for random reasons. Each region also has its own little metaplot, but few of them are connected in the "vanilla" game.

That sounds boring.
And it can be, if all you treat it as is a standard dungeon crawl. What made it awesome when I ran it for my home group was the emergent story. They took little things and made them into region-spanning stories.

We took that concept and made our own world for it. It's pretty sweet.

Dramatis Personæ
@Auralynx as Torbera (to be updated), Dwarven Warden and Tribute from Iron Circle
@OminousLozenge as Therai ib'Kurozhi, Tiefling Swordmage and Tribute from Iron Circle

@Iron Weasel as Benn Dexen, Human Cleric and Tribute from Karkoth
@am0n as Surina, Dragonborn Ardent and Tribute from Karkoth

@Slayer of Dreams as Leiliana Rerebtaan, Drow Hunter and Tribute from Nerath
@Nealneal as Ulvein, Drow Assassin and Tribute from Nerath

@TheRoadVirus as Ashe Swiftclaw, Shifter Avenger and Tribute from Vailin
@DarkPrimus as Thortar, Dragonborn Battlemind and Tribute from Vailin

Retired
@Sir Fabulous as Mors Kanteel, Human Bard and Tribute from Karkoth

jdarksun on

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Important Links
    World History
    Nearly a hundred years ago, <something bad happened> - completing a connection to the Abyss through which the denizens of the Elemental Chaos poured into our world. Though it initially seemed hopeless, the people rallied together to fight, and over decades slowly turned the tied and began to push back our foes. In a final, desperate push for victory, the war's greatest icon - Snow - led the charge that would win the day. It failed, and Snow was taken by the enemy.

But instead of pushing their advantage, the forces of Chaos fell into retreat. An emissary was sent to us with The Accords, a set of binding cosmic rules. Our world would not be destroyed, as long as we agreed to send at least one group of young people into the Abyss each year. These Tributes would attempt to complete the most fiendish, herculean task they could imagine - the "World's Largest Dungeon". Doing so would free the mortal world from the bargain, and seal the connection against further incursion.

Failure to send Tribute would mean forfeiture, and a new Great War sweeping across the land.

What Happened?
    Dwarves Dug Too Deeply, Eladrin Enchanted Too Fancy, Humans Chased Them Too Aggressively, Orcs WAAAAAAAAGH’D too Hard, etc.: It’s everyone’s fault. The overall sprint towards power skipped over the steps involved in learning to control it in too many places and on too many occasions. There are rumors among the remains of the wise that forces from within the Abyss had infiltrated mortal society, teaching their infernal tricks to all who would listen.

Civilization had reached a peak of achievement, with adventurers common and various societies having progressed to great power. Then, things began to go wrong. Demons, led by Orcus, sought the power of four artifacts created by the gods to seal the power of the Primordials, but were defeated. As knowledge of the Primordials became widespread, the situation deteriorated. The Dwarves, in particular, contacted the Elemental Chaos in their search for mastery over the volcanic forces beneath Highpeak. The disciples of Vezzuvu, Queen of the Burning Mountain, spread through their society. The Children of Chaos began their quest to free the Primordials even as other societies proved equally susceptible to the lure of power, and a Great War broke out between all the peoples of the land.

Awakened from his undead slumber by the death and negative energies of a mortal world embroiled in conflict, Orcus sensed an opportunity like none other. He leaked a corrupt ritual meant to pierce the now thin barrier between worlds, and whispered of its “cleansing” nature to the cursed tiefling peoples. Seeking a remedy for their condition, they completed the ritual – allowing Orcus and the forces of Chaos to explode out from the weakened portal beneath Highpeak.

Who - Or What - Was Snow?

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm in!
    I'm also interested in trying out Next, but am familiar with 4e.
    So a vote for either of those from me!

Note: I'm out of town next week. Will not be posting from vacation for fear of painful death. But after Thursday I'm good!

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in this. Fair disclosure is that I've run part of this for friends in the past. It was near it's launch and I don't remember it but I feel I should disclose this.

4.0->3.x->Next or me would be my rough order.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Hey, there's no option on your awesome survey thing for, "I don't care, I can crush orc skulls in any edition!"

I only have the rules and stuff for 4th anymore; if pressed I'd vote that way for the sake of personal convenience. But the DM is the one who has to interact with the rules the most, so do you have an edition you're leaning toward?

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    I'd be down for some 4E, but I've just started in another pbp so I'll defer to anyone who wants it more.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    How many are we shooting for

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I played a little bit of this. I remember running out of torches and then being mocked by every dwarf in the party.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm highly intrigued by an epic sprawling dungeon and emergent story.

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    How about Dungeon World?

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Color me interested. I've only got 4e but I'm sure I can get my hands on a 3.5 book if it came down to it.

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    How about Dungeon World?

put me down as a second for don jon's world

• Options
    But the DM is the one who has to interact with the rules the most, so do you have an edition you're leaning toward?
    No simple answer. 3.0 is "easiest" from an encounter standpoint, but is kinda messy from a character standpoint. I lump 3.5 along with 3.0, because it's just tweaks.

4e is the second easiest, as encounter creation is a breeze and I basically don't need to worry about characters. But we have a ton of 4e games already.

I was actually inspired to brush off WLD because of the Mines of Madness podcast, which opened me to possibly running WLD in 5e. But it'd take the most work, and that sort of exercise would be better suited for a one-off instead of a sprawling epic adventure.
    How many are we shooting for
    4-6, with the reserves potentially filling in for the deceased.
    How about Dungeon World?
    Under normal circumstances I'd be open to the possibility, but I'm currently hacking Apocalypse World into a tongue-in-cheek fluffy magical academy game, and don't want to run two games using the same system. :)

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    hooray!

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    I've read Dungeon World, and I'm slowly reading through Apocalypse World. I like the approach a lot! I hear people have hacked in all kinds of interesting ways.

But for this exercise, it sounds like 4E is a solid compromise candidate.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'd be down for this if it was ran under the 3.5 edition.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    @Jdarksun
    how do you want us to do stat rolling/distribution?
    do we start at level 1?

• Options
    Jdarksun
    how do you want us to do stat rolling/distribution?
    do we start at level 1?
    Method 2. Rolling for stats in 4e seems wrong.
    Yes.

Though I'd like to hold off on character submissions right now. I want to put a spin on the world first. Then introduce the dungeon. Then you guys can start throwing down characters. ;)

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I'll be following the thread for sure. Have you considered Pathfinder? Pathfinder is boss and makes you feel like a Cool Guy in 3E even if you aren't a cleric or a dip-heavy multiclass.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Color me interested, 4e works best as I find that's the smoothest system to work with. I could play AD&D as it has it's charms.

3e, 3.5, Pathfinder are a bit off my preferences, but I can play them if a spare is needed.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I mean, mechanics-wise 4E is probably the edition suited to PbP, though I don't know much about encounter sizes in WLD.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I'll be following the thread for sure. Have you considered Pathfinder? Pathfinder is boss and makes you feel like a Cool Guy in 3E even if you aren't a cleric or a dip-heavy multiclass.
    Unfortunately, I don't own Pathfinder.

• Options
    Was just dicking around with the character creator :)

• Options
    FWIW, I am game-ish to play but with my hours being what they are I think taking my turns at 3am might be an issue.

• Options
    Got my hands on a bunch of 3.5 books today (including Book of Erotic Fantasy. Can I play an imagist? Just let all Appearance based spells be Charisma instead?)

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Seems like a lot of interest already, but add my name to the list if you are taking names, as I would be very interested. Still very new to PbP and PnP in general, but I have dabble in 3.5 and 4.0. My vote would be for 4.0.

am0n on
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    FWIW, I am game-ish to play but with my hours being what they are I think taking my turns at 3am might be an issue.
    I've recently had a couple games burn out, so consistency is a little more important to me than time of activity.
    Got my hands on a bunch of 3.5 books today (including Book of Erotic Fantasy. Can I play an imagist? Just let all Appearance based spells be Charisma instead?)
    Don't have that one.

I do have the Book of Vile Darkness, which I still crack open from time to time.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I don't have Vile Darkness, but BEF is really a 3rd party book for adding sex to the DnD game. Well written, in my option. But I've never seen it run and I've always wanted to play an imagist (a new class with the book), a spellcaster who draws upon beauty in his/herself (power hiding in their rumored celestial blood) and cast illusions and persuasion spells. Kinda like a bard but she doesn't have to sing.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Meta ideas - not strictly by the book, but it'll help flavor things.

1) World's Largest Hunger Games. Once a year, the government of Nerath sends a group of their young people into the World's Largest Dungeon. This honors a bargain struck between the people of Nerath and the Elemental Chaos, at the site where the armies of below were fought to a standstill. Will this be a year where the youth of the world finally succeed?

2) The Pit of Athas. Sand. Sun. An unrelenting fight for survival. This is your daily life as you toil on the surface of the Dark Sun world. It's Hell, but it gets worse. There's a portal, down, deep down under the deserts and dunes. But hey. At least it'll be cooler than the surface.

Probably.

3) A Way Out? Nobody remembers exactly when civilization collapsed, only the unrelenting hordes of the undead that caused it. The dead rose, they walked, they devoured everything. One by one, the safe places fell. Grasping hands pulled down stone walls. Teeth gnawed through wood doors. Cities became mass graves. But there was one place that the dead dared not go, one place that remained beyond their reach.

The Dungeon.

No one knows if there's an exit. No one that goes in there cares.

4) The Legend of Dungeon. A group of prisoners are sentenced to certain death by throwing them into the World's Largest Dungeon for vile crimes they may or may not have committed. Unbeknownst to their would-be executioners, the dungeon is riddled with ancient tunnels, caverns and tombs built by crumbled civilizations long perished now. If they ever wish to see daylight again and reclaim their freedom the ragtag group of prisoners must form a team and descend through the mountain, level by level.

5) Other. Suggest something!

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    All of those sound great!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Hmm... it has been a while since I D&Ded... and a good dungeon crawl is always fun. 3.5 or 4, though I've never actually played much 3.5

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Door number 4, door number 4!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    4 is pretty good, agreed.

Bonus points if the players are criminals taken for crimes by a faceless them.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    1 or 4

• Options
    ButtonsButtons Dolt SweedeelandRegistered User regular
    I see there is a lot of interest already but I'd like to toss my hat in here as I'm missing some good old fashioned fantasy roleplaying. I'd go with 4th edition as a first choice ruleset.

For the meta ideas I would go with 3 or 4, or take an idea from 13th age and have it as a living dungeon that periodically pops up and swallows adventurers/monsters/items/whateveryoulike and then disappears again!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    5) The Dungeon was once the Grand Plane of the Gods. It stretched as far as any god wanted it to. Then the Void came from another plane and the Grand Plane of the Gods become an endless maze of death and chaos. Gods now forgotten still roam the halls, their minds shattered by the lost of self caused by the Void. The people inside the plane were changed, turned into horrors beyond the nightmares of men. And many great items and treasures were lost in time. Some come to the Endless Dungeon seeking these things. Other come because, while The Endlessness of the Dungeon has kept the Void from spilling into the other planes, some believe that if people can get in, it could one day get out. And other seek the rare power of the Gods for their own deeds. Either way, people come to the dungeon, but few ever leave it.

To reach this Dungeon, you have to go through Sigil, as it is the only known portal. The portal is really a window, on the third floor of a clocktower (or any place you want it, I just though it would be funny if it was someplace as blah as a simple window leads to a huge, deadly place.) Because this is Sigil, the City of Doors, which is connected to every plane in the universe, you could use this to allow all characters to interact with Eberron, Dark Sun, Forgotten Realm, and Points of Light characters. Just some thoughts. You could also allow people of all alignments to work together to work towards the goal of survival, while still going after their own agendas.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    5) The Real Dungeon: This is the true story... of seven strangers... picked to explore a dungeon...work together and have their lives taped... to find out what happens... when people stop being polite... and start getting real...The Real World's Largest Dungeon.

I'm picturing little magical camera crews recording things and sending the tapes off to Hell or like The City of Brass or something. I don't know why but the idea of confessional tapes from adventurers sounds hilarious to me and could be fun to write.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm at a war with myself on that one. On one hand, I love the idea, all of us pretending to care about the group, but secretly wishing the fucking rogue would, I don't know, SNEAK AROUND THE BATTLEFIELD LIKE A FUCKING ROGUE AND STOP HOGGING ALL THE HEALS!

The other part of me hates reality shows.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better I for one would be at least half parodying the stupid fucking shows myself. In no way was that a suggestion for a serious "Dramatic" campaign. I can't imagine playing that straight.

• Options
    ButtonsButtons Dolt SweedeelandRegistered User regular
    Yeah tongue firmly in cheek would be the only way to play that!

• Options
    Oh, I knew that it was going to be a parody. That's why I said that about the rogue (which is normally my good-to-class when starting a system).