Webcomics FTW (For The Weekend)

16263656768100

Posts

  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    Personface wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Personface wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    ugh that is such shit, god his redesigns are always the worst.
    I'm not invested in Zelda, like, at all but I fail to see what the issue is with his redesign, I really liked it!

    link looks really bad, and all, all of his redesigns are simply him putting his main character in as the main character of the other property. Ganon hasn't been redesigned other than to put a stupidly small monocle on his face. His stuff is just always so self involved and uninspired.

    Link looks foppish and ornate because that's his character in this, a sheltered prince. Ganondorf's design isn't drastic, yeah, but then again he was never the focus of the project to begin with. I feel like much of the fury directed at this redesign specifically is less justified and rather individuals infuriated with what they perceive as the emasculation of Link.

    My only issue with the redesign is that it yet again follows Diaz's formula, he is a creative enough person and draws well but every time he reimagines a franchise it comes out as Established Franchise: Starring Kimiko

    I do like that you see it as males being upset that a male character is getting his balls cut off, as if link Link has ever been a hyper-masculine character, but I think you're reading too much into it

    Diaz's little lore touches in those other panels are neat (they dont grab me because I'm not a big zelda guy) and show he put actual thought into this, like he does everything, but he is unable to break out of his box or at the very least draw a female lead who looks different

    He made Ganon an evil vizier, Link a naive royal, and Zelda a rogueish orphan who is heir to destiny. So he took the most overplayed story ever and swapped it with the second most overplayed story then juggled some gender roles.

    It's neat, it could be fun, the lore details are interesting, but it isn't exciting and it isn't especially creative in basically any way

    2x39jD4.jpg
    GoatmonJayKaosRoyceSraphimB_RmasterofmetroidGrogTam
  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Half Pam/Half Garf/All Lovin Where all your dreams come true!Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Point is Spirit Tracks was great, fuck the haters

    I have never not loved a Zelda game
    Although I should really finish ST one of these days

    pa6BYjO.jpg
    Ringo
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Personface wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Personface wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    ugh that is such shit, god his redesigns are always the worst.
    I'm not invested in Zelda, like, at all but I fail to see what the issue is with his redesign, I really liked it!

    link looks really bad, and all, all of his redesigns are simply him putting his main character in as the main character of the other property. Ganon hasn't been redesigned other than to put a stupidly small monocle on his face. His stuff is just always so self involved and uninspired.

    Link looks foppish and ornate because that's his character in this, a sheltered prince. Ganondorf's design isn't drastic, yeah, but then again he was never the focus of the project to begin with. I feel like much of the fury directed at this redesign specifically is less justified and rather individuals infuriated with what they perceive as the emasculation of Link.

    Oh bullshit, you're projecting.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    SCREECH OF THE FARGCururu
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You really should, it had one of the best ending sequences in the series (fuck the haters)

    I might go play it a bit right now

    dN0T6ur.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    algeya wrote: »
    But Zelda Was never an idiot and most of the time is links guide and the master planner of the Zelda games


    Ding, ding, we have a winner!

    algeyaElbasunuSCREECH OF THE FARG
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Personface wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Personface wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    ugh that is such shit, god his redesigns are always the worst.
    I'm not invested in Zelda, like, at all but I fail to see what the issue is with his redesign, I really liked it!

    link looks really bad, and all, all of his redesigns are simply him putting his main character in as the main character of the other property. Ganon hasn't been redesigned other than to put a stupidly small monocle on his face. His stuff is just always so self involved and uninspired.

    Link looks foppish and ornate because that's his character in this, a sheltered prince. Ganondorf's design isn't drastic, yeah, but then again he was never the focus of the project to begin with. I feel like much of the fury directed at this redesign specifically is less justified and rather individuals infuriated with what they perceive as the emasculation of Link.

    I do like that you see it as males being upset that a male character is getting his balls cut off, as if link Link has ever been a hyper-masculine character, but I think you're reading too much into it

    yeah i think this is what makes that so funny.

  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Half Pam/Half Garf/All Lovin Where all your dreams come true!Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    You really should, it had one of the best ending sequences in the series (fuck the haters)

    I might go play it a bit right now

    It's under my bed right now, maybe after exams...

    Have an old webcomic to keep the thread wubcrumbly

    QcW6ZVW.jpg

    pa6BYjO.jpg
    WybornKwoaruRoyceSraphimJayKaosGoatmonBeastehKilroyShabootyFyndirRadiusSkeithRingoMetzger MeisterHeadCreepsSCREECH OF THE FARGMugginsDuke 2.0VALVEjunkieSnowglobeAnialosRMS OceanicOdinAbdhyiusSal
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    did somebody say

    zelda argument

    Indie WinterGoatmonBeastehSal
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Good webcomic

    dN0T6ur.png
    Quantum TigerBeastehSkeith
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    did somebody say

    zelda argument

    no no no

    Zeld Argument + Diaz Argument

    double the fun

    2x39jD4.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    youre all maniacs

    Centipede DamascusGustav
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    the one guy who really set these arguments ablaze is gone

    they'll never be the same

    You see lots of things, out there in the swamp at night. Some of them might even be real. But the Bugboy? That's just plain impossible.
    AntimatterRoyceSraphimProf. Awesome
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Also thank you letting me know I could buy the Unsounded book

    Seriously
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    bah

    Antimatter on
  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Half Pam/Half Garf/All Lovin Where all your dreams come true!Registered User regular
    i6eaFfX.jpg

    Oh Human Star contains man butt. But it's still good. Yeah, still good.

    pa6BYjO.jpg
    Kochikens
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    his zelda's really the only character design I particularly like this go round

    I would be interested in playing the video game he describes


    The Saga of Esméralda

    ElaroCambiata
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I made a post about how shitty I thought that article was last night but I was pretty much just talking about the article itself, and the headline in particular

    As for the redesigns I think they're pretty good and totally do not get the mouth-frothing going on over them

    like, geez, he just made some stuff to put on his tumblr. It isn't tearing down the canon of LoZ. Some people are acting like this is going to be the next actual Legend of Zelda game from fucking Nintendo, and how dare they make Link a noble instead of a courageous warrior. It's one step up from doodling in your notebook. Redirect all that anger towards Kotaku, or something, since they're the ones being actively shitty about it. Diaz does not deserve a lynch mob for subverting the fucking preordained Triforce mythos or whatever.

    THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    SeriouslyQuantum TigerPersonfaceMortal SkymasterofmetroidCentipede DamascusSkeithTrippyJingmageormikeDuke 2.0Cambiata
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    tumblr_lw8f05gQYT1qjyqixo1_1280.jpg

    The only acceptable Zelda reboot

    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    algeyaRoyceSraphimGumpyRingoHeadCreepsSCREECH OF THE FARGMr FuzzbuttDuke 2.0Neveron
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    2013-04-12-last.png

  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist screaming Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I take it back, Beartato is my favorite character in webcomics

    Fuck you! Mort is the best!

    00001091.jpg

    algeyaRoyceSraphimKilroyRainfallWeedLordVegetaTrippyJingSporkAndrew
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    414.png

    RCmKIvs.gif
    indie_winter on PS4 | 3034-4093-8537 on Switch
    RoyceSraphimKilroySeriouslymasterofmetroidSkeithSCREECH OF THE FARGAnialosRMS Oceanic
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    yes the price is
    unweight is made from the unworthy of us
    Ground into fine power there is no better use from those found wanting

  • algeyaalgeya Registered User regular
    bored again
    2013-04-08.jpg
    2013-04-10.jpg

  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    maybe its a cultural thing but i just look at pilli and go

    ThreeWordPhraseWhaaa.png

    Indie WinterunintentionalBroloalgeyaHobnailB_RKwoaruSkeithRingoWeedLordVegetaElaroThatDudeOverTheretynicSCREECH OF THE FARGProf. AwesomeAnialosAJR
  • algeyaalgeya Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    then its settled now Pilli will be a gaming comic like CAD and LICD those are super popular among kids right?

    just kidding just continuity heavy
    there still a lot to learn maybe search an artist like guy who makes whomp so he could become my sensei or something like that
    or just give up comics forever either way the readers wins

    algeya on
  • statlerstatler Registered User regular
    Guess the guest artist:

    2013-04-12-The-Neighborhood.png

    XU9vWF4.png?2
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    tumblr_ml4hufabsa1rqbb42o1_1280.png
    He’s less of a mad scientist
    and more of a sad scientist.

    EzUAYcn.png
    BeastehShabootyB_RBahamutZERORingoEddyDuke 2.0VALVEjunkieLalaboxOdinSporkAndrew
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    algeya wrote: »
    then its settled now Pilli will be a gaming comic like CAD and LICD those are super popular among kids right?

    just kidding just continuity heavy
    there still a lot to learn maybe search an artist like guy who makes whomp so he could become my sensei or something like that
    or just give up comics forever either way the readers wins

    @algeya Pilli is good, your panels are just fairly busy and difficult to parse.

    Essentially so much is going on in such a small area that action, effect lines, text, panel gutters, and characters are all competing for immediate attention (which makes it hard for the eyes to focus upon the right panel and the right subject per panel). Since so many things overlap, and do so not necessarily in the order you are supposed to read the panels, my eyes slip about:

    This is how Im inclined to read this comic (yellow lines are how my eyes are being drawn):

    2013-04-10.jpg

    This is probably a better way to think about the "natural flow" of reading (spoilered for big):
    PortraitPageFlow.png

    You can really increase legibility by remembering we read left to right, AND that your art in each panel should be leading the eyes towards the next panel you are making. Anything crossing between panels should be considered a bridge (they draw your eyes out of the first panel and onto whatever it overlaps with), so use these wisely!

    Pilli is a lot of fun, though. So don't stop making comics!

    *Edit, I am dyslexic sometimes >.<

    Enc on
    BeastehalgeyaDuke 2.0
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    so that's where larlar came from!

    DoobhHeadCreepsWeedLordVegetatynicVALVEjunkieOdin
  • algeyaalgeya Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    algeya wrote: »
    then its settled now Pilli will be a gaming comic like CAD and LICD those are super popular among kids right?

    just kidding just continuity heavy
    there still a lot to learn maybe search an artist like guy who makes whomp so he could become my sensei or something like that
    or just give up comics forever either way the readers wins

    @algeya Pilli is good, your panels are just fairly busy and difficult to parse.

    Essentially so much is going on in such a small area that action, effect lines, text, panel gutters, and characters are all competing for immediate attention (which makes it hard for the eyes to focus upon the right panel and the right subject per panel). Since so many things overlap, and do so not necessarily in the order you are supposed to read the panels, my eyes slip about:

    This is how Im inclined to read this comic (yellow lines are how my eyes are being drawn):

    2013-04-10.jpg

    This is probably a better way to think about the "natural flow" of reading (spoilered for big):
    PortraitPageFlow.png

    You can really increase legibility by remembering we read left to right, AND that your art in each panel should be leading the eyes towards the next panel you are making. Anything crossing between panels should be considered a bridge (they draw your eyes out of the first panel and onto whatever it overlaps with), so use these wisely!

    Pilli is a lot of fun, though. So don't stop making comics!

    *Edit, I am dyslexic sometimes >.<

    Thanks a lot, that Was experimental page tried to emulate a shonen style page and used a lot of panels instead of doing the usual 7 panel Per. Page rule
    To put a lot in one page (there Was enought material in that page for 2 updates but that kind of pacing is a big no in webcomics)

  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Aaron Diaz's fanart but this is cool too

    tumblr_ml49firKzg1qg0ruko1_500.png
    I went ahead and scribbled up a quick set of concepts to show how mind-bogglingly easy is it to make Zelda an interesting protagonist without undermining her femininity or really, changing much of anything about her character.
    Zelda is, in almost every incarnation, a character who is primarily concerned with avoiding direct conflict whenever possible. Link, being Courageous (and a bit foolhardy) is all about rushing in and attacking dudes, whereas Zelda, being the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom, picks her fights carefully. In OoT, she disguises herself and works in the shadows instead of attacking directly; in TP, she peacefully surrenders her kingdom so more of her citizens wouldn’t be attacked by the Twili.
    Even when she is forced into combat, she almost ALWAYS uses long-distance means such as magic or arrows (or magic arrows)
    Thus, it made sense to me for this to carry over into her playing style. She has very little physical prowess and is all about being stealthy and inconspicuous when out of combat, and playing keep away and striking from a distance with powerful magic when in it. If she has a sword, it’s almost entirely used as a quick and dirty last resort when cornered at close-distances so she can escape to a comfortable distance (or for channeling magic).
    More drastically, since Hyrule’s royalty and Hylian myth in general is so tightly associated with birds, I gave her a magical Sheikah cape that allows her to jump, float, and eventually full-on fly into the air until her magic bar runs out, as to quickly outmaneuver foes and attack from above.

    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
    GethalgeyaSeriouslyQuantum TigerMortal SkyRingoAntimatterHeadCreepsTrippyJingKilroyGatsbySCREECH OF THE FARGVALVEjunkieAnialos
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    all those designs have some merit to them but they require Nintendo to try and be original and I don't think it is a company that does that a lot

    RCmKIvs.gif
    indie_winter on PS4 | 3034-4093-8537 on Switch
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Xl4MR0t.png


    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

    BahamutZEROalgeyaElbasunuRoyceSraphimmaritzacSkeithWhytherAntimatterHeadCreepsWeedLordVegetaTrippyJingSLyMGustavThatDudeOverThereGatsbySCREECH OF THE FARGDuke 2.0darunia106ShenVALVEjunkieSnowglobeAnialosIloveslimesEtchwartsKazitronNeveron
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    oh wait, wrong thread

    well, here you go webcomics fans!

    BahamutZEROElbasunuDisruptedCapitalistMetzger MeisterAntimatterTrippyJingGatsbydarunia106Kazitron
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    And now I am absolutely terrified.

    BahamutZEROAdvocateGatsby
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    ROLO YOU FUCK THAT IS NOT A WEBCOMIC

    RCmKIvs.gif
    indie_winter on PS4 | 3034-4093-8537 on Switch
    BahamutZEROFyndirDisruptedCapitalistWeedLordVegetaDuke 2.0
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Thanks. Thanks so much for that, Rolo. You are a true friend.

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    BahamutZERODisruptedCapitalistRoyceSraphimWeedLordVegetaTrippyJingDuke 2.0darunia106
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    nononononononononononononnonononononononononononononononononnonononononononononononononono

    BahamutZEROShabootyB_RcrwthDisruptedCapitalistAdvocateSkeithRingoWeedLordVegetaVALVEjunkieIloveslimes
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.