As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Yeah, but they had other family saying he didn't belong there and he (reasonably) didn't have papers verifying his status on him?

Regardless, the hospital isn't going to forcibly remove anyone unless they're causing a security problem. So, as I've said, there's probably more to this story. I'm not saying bigotry wasn't involved, but it's very likely not as simple as "hospital uses excessive force to apply bigotry."

Yes I am totally agreeing with you on that.

OrokosPA.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The Associated Press posted video of the exact moments when Uruguay voted to legalize marriage equality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5E81h69tx5w#at=39

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but they had other family saying he didn't belong there and he (reasonably) didn't have papers verifying his status on him?

Regardless, the hospital isn't going to forcibly remove anyone unless they're causing a security problem. So, as I've said, there's probably more to this story. I'm not saying bigotry wasn't involved, but it's very likely not as simple as "hospital uses excessive force to apply bigotry."

To play devil's advocate, if the exact same situation happened, except instead of gay, the 2 people in the relationship were of different races and the family was racist, but everything else was the same, the outcome would probably be the same as well.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that this has happened on a smaller scales due to family not liking their child's spouse/significant other.

newSig.jpg
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Nocren wrote: »

To play devil's advocate, if the exact same situation happened, except instead of gay, the 2 people in the relationship were of different races and the family was racist, but everything else was the same, the outcome would probably be the same as well.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that this has happened on a smaller scales due to family not liking their child's spouse/significant other.

I think this is still a very likely possibility for this case, as well, but the fact that the SO was forcibly ejected by handcuffs makes me think the conflict went beyond simple interpersonal disagreement.

Atomika on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    As expected, the French Senate granted final approval to marriage equality legislation today by a show-of-hands vote. The National Assembly must hold another vote in May to review some minor amendments that were made in the Senate, but given the bill originally passed there by a 100-vote margin, the extra vote poses no real threat to passage.

Same-sex marriage will become law a few months from now, making France the 13th country to legalize it. Uruguay became the 12th a few days ago.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    So when gay marriage is no longer an issue, what is the next big goal to be worked on?

I dunno about the next issue under the umbrella of gay rights but, as social issues go, the abortion fight certainly seems to be making a comeback across the country (though that is for a different thread I guess)

I have a feeling that one will never go away. It will always be a fierce battle.

We always have one

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Heck, I'm happy about it and I'm at least 30% less generally bitter than Than.

Former Boy Scouts of America president Rick Cronk appeared before the committee on Wednesday, telling members that Scouting has had a positive impact on the state and that being taxed on fundraising sales would hurt local troops.

Um . . . that's the point.

"Penalizing us for being jerks will have a negative effect on our ability to be jerks."

Strong rhetoric, that.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    oh hello, same bullshit argument, nice to see you

"We do a lot of work holding hostage helping homeless people; if you make us stop discriminating against gays, we won't be able to help those poor homeless! Wouldn't that be a shame!"

"We run a lot of charity hospitals; if you make us pay settlements to children our priests abused, that's just less money to help poor sick people!"

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I doubt the bill will pass but the fact it got this far will hopefully remind the leaders of the BSA they aren't immune from criticism. Or consequences.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    oh hello, same bullshit argument, nice to see you

"We do a lot of work holding hostage helping homeless people; if you make us stop discriminating against gays, we won't be able to help those poor homeless! Wouldn't that be a shame!"

"We run a lot of charity hospitals; if you make us pay settlements to children our priests abused, that's just less money to help poor sick people!"

It's hostage taking, pure and simple.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I can't wait for this to prompt the next wave of "They're going to come for the churches next!" rants. I do enjoy those.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I can't wait for this to prompt the next wave of "They're going to come for the churches next!" rants. I do enjoy those.

churches aren't even that arousing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Speak for yourself.

:winky:

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.

Speak for yourself.

:winky:

044816.jpg

dat cupola

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Augh! NSFW warnings please!

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Former Boy Scouts of America president Rick Cronk appeared before the committee on Wednesday, telling members that Scouting has had a positive impact on the state and that being taxed on fundraising sales would hurt local troops.

Um . . . that's the point.

"Penalizing us for being jerks will have a negative effect on our ability to be jerks."

Strong rhetoric, that.

It's a bit different because of the BSA structure. The troops in California have almost no say in the policy, besides the general "don't tell regional what regional doesn't need to know". It's basically like passing a special tax of chick-fil-a and it's franchisees, except only in CA. Its not going to really alter the corporate policy one inch.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    Theoretically the corporate heads of BSA should care if all its subsidiary troops lose their non-profit tax benefits.

If they don't then, well, maybe the CA troops should break off.

• Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular
    As expected, the French Senate granted final approval to marriage equality legislation today by a show-of-hands vote. The National Assembly must hold another vote in May to review some minor amendments that were made in the Senate, but given the bill originally passed there by a 100-vote margin, the extra vote poses no real threat to passage.

Same-sex marriage will become law a few months from now, making France the 13th country to legalize it. Uruguay became the 12th a few days ago.

Dammit! That's terrible news.

The bloody French beat us to it. We'll just have to make British gay weddings 50% gayer - or weddingier - to show them up.

The bloody French beat us to it. We'll just have to make British gay weddings 50% gayer - or weddingier - to show them up.

i mean... you're already British...

KalTorak wrote: »

i mean... you're already British...

Yeah, but they're already French.

*ba-dum-ching*

Today at work someone brought in a bunch of Krispy Kreme and, for some reason, Chic-fil-a. Given that the restaurants are extremely rare in the bay area, he must have driven pretty far to do so.

I'm trying to ignore it, but I'm already having a mildly annoying day without being reminded of the whole freaking hate-chicken thing.

I have one right by my house. I won't lie, I love Chik-Fil-A, it's delicious.

I haven't eaten there in two years, and won't even eat it when it's brought in for free for staff lunches.

Yeah in theory this is my free chance to finally see what the fuss is about. But I found I was so cranky about being reminded of the whole shitstorm I wasn't in the mood for it.

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Today at work someone brought in a bunch of Krispy Kreme and, for some reason, Chic-fil-a. Given that the restaurants are extremely rare in the bay area, he must have driven pretty far to do so.

I'm trying to ignore it, but I'm already having a mildly annoying day without being reminded of the whole freaking hate-chicken thing.

Are they perhaps a transplant from somewhere else? There's a lot of regional bias in brands.

Although Krispy Kreme is objectively superior to Dunkin Doughnuts.

I would download a car.
    Krispy Kreme is all over here, they're awesome. As a city, we're definitely on that bandwagon.

lazegamer wrote: »

Highest blasphemy.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Are they perhaps a transplant from somewhere else? There's a lot of regional bias in brands.

Dunkin' Donuts, however, beats both.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    There's a starbucks and a Chick-fil-a right next to each other in my town. Both new, and both built around the same time. I like to think they have epic battles everyday.

sig.gif
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I actually got the opportunity to snub Chick-fil-a when I was visiting my uncle down in Arizona.

Saw one in the flesh and was like "oh hey, a Chick-fil-a. (lol)"

Uncle: "Why, you wanna go there for lunch?"

"NO."

OrokosPA.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Krispy Kreme is an abomination before god.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Woah woah woah... let's not be hasty and say things we can't take back here.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Wait what's wrong with Krispy Kreme? What did they do?

I'm already a terrible gay for not turning down free chicken, but I actively buy Krispy Kreme. Don't make me add buying delicious, hate-filled doughnuts to my list of sins.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    They're just terrible donuts!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    They're just terribly good donuts!

Also, Krispy Kreme's coffee is assariffic.

Their donuts aren't the worst, but there are several better, and Dunkin's has tremendous variety AND amazing coffee.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't even drink coffee and I know that DD has good coffee.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    I don't even drink coffee and I know that DD has good coffee.

It's seriously the only coffee that I'll buy from a store.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Can't we just agree that Dunkin' makes the great donuts, but Krispy makes great doughnuts?

They're fried pastry dough covered and/or filled with other things that are also delicious. "Great" is the worst they can be.

Edit: Unless what they're covered with is psalms.
    Edit2: Nevermind, Tim Hortons bought them, failed them out of business, and then some former employees took the name and started their own thing. I wonder if they still put the bible quotes on shit.

ArbitraryDescriptor on