As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Classic Console Museum at PAX Australia 2013 - What games do you want to see or play?

retrospekt_daveretrospekt_dave Founder of Retrospekt.com.auAdelaide, AustraliaRegistered User regular
classic_console_area.jpg

Hey everyone, here's the official poster of all the consoles that'll be at the museum. Any games you folks would love to see?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    I find that Blast Corps (N64) is a must during all retro gaming activities.

It also hurts a little, inside, to admit that the N64 is retro :(

zerzhul on
  • retrospekt_daveretrospekt_dave Founder of Retrospekt.com.au Adelaide, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Oh for sure! Blast Corps is a lot of fun!

• nick10131nick10131 Registered User new member
    I would quite like to try Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast. Looks like a lot of fun!

• zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Beauty and the Beast for Intelevision!

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • retrospekt_daveretrospekt_dave Founder of Retrospekt.com.au Adelaide, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Golly, just saw screenshots of that Beauty & the Beast game.. I'll see what we can do :) Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast would be pretty boss I agree!

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You need a pair of Amigas, a null modem cable and 2 copies of Stunt Car Racer. My brother and I used to play that vs as kids, it was awesome. Also, Barbarian for Amiga.

• pobblebonkpobblebonk Registered User regular
    How about Zombies Ate My Neighbours for SNES.
    Battletoads for NES.

• skipgamerskipgamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Really saddened by the lack of the SMS/SMS2 in the poster :( It'll be a real shame if it's not represented at PAX, I remember the shelves for games at video rental stores/department stores being just as large as those for the NES. I still have mine that I can bring along if it's just a matter of supply.

skipgamer on
    CuZZa wrote: »
    You need a pair of Amigas, a null modem cable and 2 copies of Stunt Car Racer. My brother and I used to play that vs as kids, it was awesome. Also, Barbarian for Amiga.

Sounds like a grand idea, I'll share that with the others. Barbarian would be a good laugh and crowd pleaser aye?
    pobblebonk wrote: »
    How about Zombies Ate My Neighbours for SNES.
    Battletoads for NES.

Cool choices, we'll see what we can dig up!
    skipgamer wrote: »
    Really saddened by the lack of the SMS/SMS2 in the poster :( It'll be a real shame if it's not represented at PAX, I remember the shelves for games at video rental stores/department stores being just as large as those for the NES. I still have mine that I can bring along if it's just a matter of supply.

Personally stating here, that I myself am a Master System fan! :) So rest assured that there will be a SEGA Mark III console (which is in the poster snug between the Jaguar and Dreamcast). It's Japan's answer to a SEGA Master System like how the Famicom is for the NES.

• IcefuhrerIcefuhrer Registered User regular
    I would kill to have an oppotunity to play the original Silent Hill again.

• zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    We could be anti social and have the D&D Gold Box games for the C64. One person gets to play non stop for the whole of PAX.

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • ctrixctrix Registered User new member
    Nice to see the Jaguar is there :-) I made the music for a jag game last year, yet have never actually played one. Can't wait :-)

Of course, the only thing missing - and which I think would be of huge benefit for the nuskool gen to see - is the Vectrex console. It's just so unlike anything that has ever been made since and is very unique graphics wise :-]

(also... is that a CPC I see... vvveeery small in the background?)

ctrix wrote: »
    Nice to see the Jaguar is there :-) I made the music for a jag game last year, yet have never actually played one. Can't wait :-)

Of course, the only thing missing - and which I think would be of huge benefit for the nuskool gen to see - is the Vectrex console. It's just so unlike anything that has ever been made since and is very unique graphics wise :-]

(also... is that a CPC I see... vvveeery small in the background?)

Which Jaguar game?

And it sure is a CPC!

zerochosen wrote: »
    We could be anti social and have the D&D Gold Box games for the C64. One person gets to play non stop for the whole of PAX.

Would make for an interesting live stream for charity! :)

Icefuhrer wrote: »
    I would kill to have an oppotunity to play the original Silent Hill again.

I'll put the suggestion to the team to see if we can bring a copy. Can't promise anything though, but we'll try!

• gaming_goddessgaming_goddess Cosplay Geek BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    Any chance of a Megadrive being set up. Would really love playing Alisia Dragoon again as that was a bit part of my childhood. Failing that I would like to see either Gynoug (a.k.a Wings of Wor); Crackdown; Toejam and Earl or Decap Attack.

Also would like to second seeing Jet Set Radio.

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Altered Beast and Golden Axe...or a NeoGeo emulator running D&D / Willow / Final Fight / Captain Commando / Rampage :D

• JapandamanJapandaman Registered User regular
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on Dreamcast would be sweet!!

• fantanoicefantanoice Quiet, please, it's snack time! Registered User regular
    I would love to see some chaotic games of Mario Party (2 or 3) just for laughs.

tumblr_mnq25vklfY1qd673co1_250.pngtumblr_mnq25vklfY1qd673co2_250.png
  • tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    fantanoice wrote: »

this.
    mario party was my childhood.

Those were some of the very best games. My palm never forgave me for those n64 stick rotation blisters.

• tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    oh my god yes! that 3v1 tug of war mini game just burnt a hole through my hand

• chimpachimpa Connor Jacobs BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    I only saw the original Mortal Kombat played once. I'd love to give it a go!

Also, thanks for nominating Mario Party. You make me feel old. :(

Any chance of a Megadrive being set up. Would really love playing Alisia Dragoon again as that was a bit part of my childhood. Failing that I would like to see either Gynoug (a.k.a Wings of Wor); Crackdown; Toejam and Earl or Decap Attack.

Also would like to second seeing Jet Set Radio.

Great list of games, we'll see what we can dig up!
    Altered Beast and Golden Axe...or a NeoGeo emulator running D&D / Willow / Final Fight / Captain Commando / Rampage :D

Wait what? Neo Geo running CPS games? Where? how? gah? bgnhnn? :)
    Japandaman wrote: »
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 on Dreamcast would be sweet!!

It sure would! *jots down*
    fantanoice wrote: »

I for one love seeing chaotic games in action. We'll try to get a Mario Party of some sorts for the 64 in there, but we also have something special on the SEGA Saturn that involves 10 players..
    chimpa wrote: »

Which port of the first Mortal Kombat are you keen to see? The brown 'sweat' on the SNES or the uncensored (with an unlock code) one on Mega Drive?

• junusjunus Registered User new member
    I was going to say I would love to replay the original Sonic on the sega master system, but I just saw a mention of Mario Party which is one of my favorite games (all of them!!!). Speaking OT, anyone bringing DS Mario party?

• junusjunus Registered User new member
    Oh and Mario cart and golden eye for N64, if that is retro yet. I think I still have mine in a cupboard somewhere...

Original Sonic on Master System? One of my favourites too! Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 are a given.. :)

I would think Mario Party would have to be a special case, since it's a time consuming game and you usually only get 45 minutes or so to play at a time. Would be cool to just have a system set up for mario party that people could join and leave at will.

• frigginbrowniefrigginbrownie Registered User new member
    Aussie Rules Footy on the NES? A classic local title ;)

• chimpachimpa Connor Jacobs BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    chimpa wrote: »

Which port of the first Mortal Kombat are you keen to see? The brown 'sweat' on the SNES or the uncensored (with an unlock code) one on Mega Drive?

The Mega Drive is how I remember it (please?)

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular

Wait what? Neo Geo running CPS games? Where? how? gah? bgnhnn? :)

I actually meant something like MAME running on a PC / mounted in a classic arcade case, - its too hard getting original hardware to work with all the classic games :D But of course full size arcade machines dont quite qualify as classic console :P

• BrunhildeBrunhilde Registered User regular
    I own a lot of these games that are being mentioned.
    Do any of the Enforcers loan their own games for the weekend? Is that a thing?
    I put the classic console area as my first preference, but we don't find out where we end up until a week before the show. If I was going to loan any games or systems, I'd need to know by well, now really. Everything's in boxes at my parents house and might take a while to did out.

anniversary-8.png
  • PolianderPoliander Registered User new member
    Atari ST (Yeah i said it its not all Amiga) - Maybe ... Gods, Magic Pockets, SWIV, Colorado, Vroom
    Amiga - Walker, Knights of the Sky, Shadow of the Beast, Another World, hell any Sierra adventure with floppy disks for demo of what it looked like to play one of those babies, Lotus Turbo II :).
    C64 - International Karate .... 'nuff said methinks.
    MegaDrive - Sensible Soccer, Mortal Combat

I think if there was nothing but those, it is PAX time filled. :)

• rozzie1981rozzie1981 Registered User new member
    I'd really love to see River Raid, Demon Attack or Fishing Derby on Atari 2600.

Also, Sega Master System is my all time favourite classic console. At last count I have over 85 SMS carts. If you do manage to get your hands on one, I'd love to see Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap which I believe is the best SMS game.

I've been collecting games and consoles for 25 years now (since I was 6) and have managed to get 30 odd consoles and a 4 player cocktail arcade cabinet. I'm looking forward to seeing people who love and respect the classics as I do.

River raid is my very favorite Atari 2600 game. If they have it, play the shit out of it.

• SapphiremayoSapphiremayo Registered User new member
    Because I feel like a young'un compared to a lot of people here, my childhood started at the SNES and N64 days.

Games I'd love to see are Donkey Kong Country (any from the series), and some Banjo Tooie for N64.

I could make a massive list, but those two would be up there as one of my all-time favourite games.

edited July 2013
    Hey everyone, on behalf of Retro Domination, Australian Retro Gamer, Retro Gaming Australia and Retrospekt, I just want to thank you all for coming along to the Classic Console Area! You were all awesome and treated the stuff with lots of care, but more importantly you all seemed to have a lot of fun! :)

What did you folks like or didn't like about your time at the museum? Looking for feedback really.

retrospekt_dave on
  • QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I liked the variety and the fact that there were some nice obscure consoles represented (My wife enjoyed the GX-4000 being there even if the game she would have happily sat and played wasn't there)
    The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't spend more time playing IK+ :)

steam_sig.png
    Questor wrote: »
    I liked the variety and the fact that there were some nice obscure consoles represented (My wife enjoyed the GX-4000 being there even if the game she would have happily sat and played wasn't there)
    The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't spend more time playing IK+ :)

If it helps, I haven't had the time to play IK+ either.. Out of curiosity, which game was your wife after on the GX-4000

• QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Switchblade

steam_sig.png
  • PolianderPoliander Registered User new member
    So ... I loved it ;). Walked in, and it was spectacular. Pretty much made a beeline for it. All the awesome games. I did not know where to look first :). Had a massive laugh when people were playing Street Fighter :). One dude abusing the arcade controls vs like 5 people. 6th walks in and beats him pretty badly. It was funny. Lots of sour people.
    Amiga monitor. While original (all respect), it was too small and it did take a bit away from the play i would imagine. Also joysticks. Some thought and possibly a smidge more money should be put into it i think. Flimsy sticks are just not right. Need better joysticks. I would not have minded also a couple computers linked together. Like Amiga or Atari ST. You can even link Atari and Amiga. Then hit some split screen goodness.
    But all this is really juts nitpicking. I have enjoyed it immensely and thank you very much :).

• ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    I walked through and saw Road Rash 2 on the mega drive and powerstone 2 on the dreamcast.

Truly, your choices were guided by the gods.

This discussion has been closed.