As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USB suspend states and problems waking from sleep [Windows 7]

either,oreither,or Registered User regular
Over the last 24 hours or so I have been having a really unusual problem when trying to wake my computer after putting it into sleep mode. When I click the mouse, the PC turns back on, but the monitor power light continues to blink and all of the devices I have plugged into USB ports don't power up (including, bizarrely, the mouse). Unplugging these devices and plugging them back in sees a brief flash of light before they go back to being unresponsive, with the exception of my external hard drive, which for some reason has no problem.

I've been into device manager and made sure that the mouse and keyboard are allowed to wake the computer from sleep mode and after that didn't work unchecked the boxes for the USB Root Hubs allowing Windows to turn them off to save power. I've been into the bios, but was only able to find options for ps/2 mouse/keyboards to wake from sleep state in the APM. There are only two things I can think of that have changed in this time, I increased the clock speed on my 2500k to 4.7Ghz and bought a new Xbox 360 controller to replace the old broken one. I'm not sure how either of those would cause this problem though.

I ran powercfg/energy and the report threw up 9 errors, 8 of which were variations of this:
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C2D
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 26, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_8086&PID_1C2D
Port Path

whereas the final one told me that at 16.5%, the average processor utilization during the trace was too high. In the warnings there is something that sounds like it is pointing me towards a solution, but I don't actually understand it:
Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 10000
Maximum Timer Period (100ns units) 156001

My PC supports S1/3/4 sleep states, so I'm assuming it is using 3 by default though I'm not sure how to check that. If anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong, please let me know! In case it is something in the BIOS, my motherboard is P8P67 series. Thank you.

steam_sig.png
3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
either,or on

• Options
    edited April 2013
    I think this is related to the error described here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011 however when following option 3 I get error 3 in the command prompt. Microsoft site says this is due to ConfigSetRoot environment variable overriding the cmd command line variable. Went in to advanced system settings environment variables and cannot find anything useful there. What do I do?

Edit: never mind, uninstalled the package in the end and the problem persists, back to square one.

either,or on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    System restore to before the problems started hasn't helped either, so I'm wondering if it is a hardware problem... What would it most likely be? Motherboard?

steam_sig.png