As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAOC] Endless Conquest is Live

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I've been soloing the champion/class quests so far. The scout's armsman dude around 30 was a bit of a rough fight for me. Especially with this "interrupts your shot" bullshit that I figured they'd do away with at some point for soloers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    http://vnboards.ign.com/daoc_pellinor/b20771/116392868/p1/?16

The VN boards are finally being shut down.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    http://vnboards.ign.com/daoc_pellinor/b20771/116392868/p1/?16

The VN boards are finally being shut down.

And people are maaaad about possibly losing their post count and supposedly ign has stricter mods.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    Seems like a pretty active community still, wonder why they're closing it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    They are migrating it to IGN boards. Probably a cost cutting/consolidation thing.

It's probably the closest thing to an official forums the game has ever had. The class discussion supposedly will be condensed into 1 Ign sub board which would be a mess. I did like browsing that for templating stuff.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    B.D.V.B.D.V. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I still reminisce about DAOC from time to time. To me, the downfall was when ToA first came out and the ridiculous time and commitment you had to provide to obtain all the gear to stay competitive. They toned it way down a year or so after ToA's release but I just never could get back into the swing of things. I've resub'd multiple times and start off the first few weeks enjoying it immensely, but I eventually die off every time. DAOC will always hold some fond memories, like raiding the Hibby dragon for the first time with hundreds of people, or the Hibby Emain Old Frontier battlegroup running from Mid Port Keep to Alb Port Keep and back ganking everything that walked. I even enjoyed the PvE in DAOC much more then anything short of EQ1...All this talk is making me want to jump back in!

Hibby/Kay. I'll always laugh about making a Furby Bard extra tall and then hating myself when everyone can see me holding my drums from across Emain and run straight for me.

Edit: As a side note, who remembers Team Wizzy? My god those videos made me laugh so hard.

B.D.V. on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Did anyone who still plays DAOC play in the Guild Wars 2 weekend? The entire time I was playing in the WvWvW, I kept thinking that it felt exactly like DAOC. It's been so long since I played DAOC, though, that I couldn't remember enough specifics to see if there were some things that made DAOC RvRvR so good.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Were there buffbots? Because it ain't RvR without buffbots.

Apparently the RvR designer folks are working on the 3-way pvp for the Elder Scrolls MMO nowadays.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    There are not buff bots. You're right. :(

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I know there's probably about 5 people on this board that care about it but the long rumored Mordred-Ywain transfers are opening up today. You come over stripped of gear, but keep rr/level plus a transfer package of 20p, a house deed some dragon scales and more bp's.

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/mordred-and-camlann-transfers

I gave GW2 a solid try, got an engineer to 80 but then endgame just kinda fell flat. Still come back to this for rvr.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Wow, 20P is awfully generous.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Thinking about resubbing, but I recently subbed to SWTOR, so its going to have to wait.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    UrsaUrsa Registered User regular
    I've started playing again but on Uthgard Mid along with quite a few backers from the Camelot Unchained kickstarter with the inventively named guild "Camelot Unchained", it's a freeshard server running pre-ToA version. Not sure on the legalities to be honest.. So will restrain myself from posting details!

So much nostalgia. Last night I spent 3 hours dying in Nisse's Cavern to Tomtes. Desperately trying to land mez's on purple mobs as a level 8 pac healer. Following that I managed to latch onto a friendly hunter and duo world trash for an hour to hit level 9. The levelling grind is Delicious.

I've tried popping back on the official servers too which is still a lot of fun. It's just not the same being as levelling takes a few minutes of running quests in the BGs with free gear handed out. It's fun and all, but where's the crippling pain of xp'ing eh?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    oh man, if i wasn't already swamped with games in my meager game time, i would hop on that Ursa. i remember on my skald that lvl 9 seemed like a hell level.

then another time, leveling a shaman duo'd with a skald killing trash around the DF entrance, it was glorious.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Daoc had a ton of hell levels, some classes had it worse than others. As a light eldritch I remember ~8 level gaps between spec direct damage spells, near the top of that bracket was brutal. More than one occasion I would grind greens because it wasn't that safe going up against blues when spells so old.

Part of me gets a nostalgia twinge and wants to try Uthgarde, just to see some of the zones that just fly past nowadays or don't get seen at all if I get a good bg group. But I also remember having much more free time in daoc's heyday. I doubt I would make it through that 1-5 base class boredom zone. Tempting as it is to grind on water beetle collectors and mudmen near uhh, ardugh? ardee? i dont even remember, the river by pooka hill.

The mordred transfers were very painless, few people had hiccups with epic armor but thats about it. I now have 2 50 champions on ywain, really missing being able to use every realms 2h weapons, including alb piercers with lw styles. The 20p sounds generous but that is not much nowadays, just from bg quests and pretty much every pve quest giving out black dye at early levels its not uncommon to have ~10p at 50 without even trying. The dragon scales are a much bigger help as you can buy epic zone items with them.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    @madpanda i always hated that when trying to level a runemaster. you get your new spells and bam, 3 shot even cons. 4 levels later it's nuke nuke nuke, quickcast root, run away, nuke nuke nuke, then finish it off with your staff and wait 5 minutes to regen. even on critters weak to your element.

• Options
    I just twitched a bit hearing that cast sequence. So many deaths to a quickcast cc resist on my eld.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My early wizard got shelved from that around release.

Then I started my paladin. Life was good.

Still couldn't kill things fast, just never died.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I had a good time with my Friar, grouping up with a paladin and never running out of stamina.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    i mostly played skald around release, on percival, but never got passed lvl 35, then made a thane on gaheris(sp?) when it was opened and actually learned the other realms.

mid4life.

melee classes were always my favorite, i'd flirt with casters now and then, but hitting things with a blunt object was what i did best.

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I remember my battery build as a Necro. Power font with the maximum +Power, +Power Pool and +Power regen plus all the realm abilities meant I could just give Theurgists, Wizzies, anybody really almost endless power. I remember during an ML10 raid, busting out this build and keeping two casters and my healer within my group always topped off during the entirety of the boss fights.

Oh, and the Endurance pot and a Paladin in the group plus a few realm points spent meant also having endless Endurance as well.

It was absolutely crazy the amount of different play styles this game fostered.

• Options
    Necro was just straight OP man.

• Options
    Oh man my nostalgia is coming back, oh god make it stop.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah Necro was definitely OP. My friend was out there soloing reds and purples for hours and finally hit level 50.

I spent so many hours playing this game but never reached level 50. I got a Friar up to level 43 but kept dying because my group insisted that I could keep everyone alive in a dungeon even though I was spec'ed for staff attacks and not healing.

• Options
    Haha healing was such a shit from a butt in DAoC though. It's such a different game from WoW healing.

You actually have to conserve power and all that because it just does not regen in combat, so, if your tank can't hold aggro and the reaven or friar is going crazy with their aggro draws you might be fucked.

Reaver and paladin combos are amazing for reds and purps though.

• Options
    But I'm speaking from like 8 years ago.

• Options
    I loved being a healer though. Required effort and precision. A good healer was wanted for all groups and raids.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I always found it funny people had me heal on my warden. I was bubble spec not heal spec. Heal, sit, heal, sit. Hope none one is dumb. If we got a real healer I got to hit things with my sword. Was actually a lot of fun.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Most of the holy trinity has been replaced by gimmicks or setups that can work with the least amount of actual players. I rolled a hero with the express idea of tanking for pve stuffs, nope its all pet focus tanking still because its more effective.

Healer I guess are still needed, I've tried it a few times but after healing in WoW since BC i can't deal with no mouseover, no vuhdo, getting interrupted etc etc. I can't imagine leveling a healer back in vanilla before respecs being plentiful. You'd basically need a dedicated leveling group or really love slowly whittling down greens.

Turns out they nerfed the cash gain from the Atlantean Glass quests into the ground, it used to be ~250g per turnin and you would turn in 2-3 quests at a time. It's 100 now i think. Which isn't horrible but it really makes getting cash for a template harder on newcomers. Last time I came back ~6 months ago, there were people multiboxing 5+ toons which probably lead to this.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YOUR HEAL FIZZLES

• Options
    i think in this case you fumble.

• Options
    More like

Someone breathed in your general direction
    xxxW33dl0rdLegoas is attacking you and interrupts your cast
    You cannot cast a spell for 2 seconds
    You cannot cast a spell for 1 seconds
    You cannot cast a spell for 0 seconds
    xxxW33dl0rdLegolas is attacking you and interrupts your cast

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Haha. They changed this I hope? That was the worst part about being a scout. I had terrible damage and range when I actually got the drop on a party though. Whoops your healer's dead, oh I'm standing on thid's pillars, try and hit me lolololol LOSing you lololol.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Nope interrupts are still as prevalent as ever. I recently leveled a scout to mid 30's waiting on the mordred transfers, and most of my group play was me rapid shotting the healer so they just ran around like a headless chicken. Leveling they've probably been the easiest I've played so far.

You can still do the solo sniper bit if you pick your targets right and switch arrow damage, though since you can also get interrupted if you get a caster who has a stun or something and is alert you might lose. Thats for bg's.

Stealth at 50 is almost always a duo or group game nowadays. Sure there's some people who solo and then whine in region about dying to duos etc, but that's always been the case. Last time I played hib we ran into the alb stealth zerg which was ~3 groups against our 8 man, we died soo fast. I couldn't stop laughing.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I love being part of an Alb zerg.

• Options
    I loved having like 100+ people running towards a small group of anything and seeing them paralyze with fear..... or their computers freezing. Either way it felt good to run up on them like that.

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    urahonky wrote: »
    I loved having like 100+ people running towards a small group of anything and seeing them paralyze with fear..... or their computers freezing. Either way it felt good to run up on them like that.

Wouldn't that group of 100+ see about 5 rps from that whole small group?

I like kicking the crap out of mids on New Frontiers, but the down side is, they are then meeting my evening Lab group with an equal scale zerg of Mids.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Dat old ui.

I still use the old icons but a bit spruced up, wonder if i can setup the stone ones. The new icons are horrible.

camo_sig2.png