As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Prime 2013] Cookie Brigade - We want you! (To make, distribute and nom cookies)

robertrencerobertrence Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in PAX West
If you were looking for information regarding becoming a part of the Cookie Brigade for PAX Prime 2013 or you're just curious about what we're all about then you're in the right place. We're gearing up for PAX Prime 2013 and looking forward to trying to smash the fundraising record set by the East group in March of $17,650+!

If you're not already registered on the Cookie Brigade website please do so ASAP! Information on how to join the PAX Prime 2013 group will be coming soon! For past Brigadiers, click here to join the brigade group for Prime 2013. If you are a first time brigadier please register on our forums and then apply to be a brigadier. Note: You just need an active registration on the forums for access to the application form.

Current Announcements...
04/08/2013 - New Website! - The brigade has a shiny new website and we're welcoming even non-brigadiers to join us for discussions on tasty noms and provide us with their feedback and requested noms for PAX!

wQojq.png

WHO WE ARE:

The Cookie Brigade is a ragtag group of Penny Arcade Forumers who have assembled since PAX 2007 to provide our fellow gamers with delicious baked goods! Cookies are baked by forumers, brought and shipped from afar by forumers, and distributed by forumers!

The Cookie Brigade does not sell cookies. We give cookies away for free.

Brigadiers also accept donations to Child's Play, which are entirely voluntary and greatly appreciated!

And it's very convenient to get a cookie and give a donation at the same time.

Starting in 2007, the Cookie Brigade began a mission to give these cookies in exchange for donations to Child's Play, the charity started by Mike and Jerry that provides entertainment to kids in children's hospitals. Since starting on this mission, the Cookie Brigade has raised over $88,000 mostly by the handing out of cookies and the reception of donations from the incredible, amazing, and generous PAX community! In 2012 alone we raised over $26,000 for Child's Play! Woooooot! Thank you everyone for your generous donations, you have helped an awesome cause!

WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?

Looking to Volunteer? Head to http://cookiebrigade.org/ for more information!

Looking for some general information? Check us out on the PAX Community Wiki!

You can also find us on the following social media locations,

Twitter: @Cookie Brigade
G+: Cookie Brigade

And during or pre-pax, feel free to light up the Cookie Signal!

Hashtag: #cookiebrigade

I WANT TO HELP IN THE BRIGADE!

If you're interested in
  • Baking delicious cookies
  • Distributing to people during PAX
  • Helping organize cookies and distributors

We can definitely use your help! Sign up at our website, http://cookiebrigade.org if you wish to participate in the organizing, baking, and/or distributing!

An important note: due to certain external pressures on the Brigade we have to keep some of our more sensitive planning operations private. If you sign up on the Cookie Brigade website you will have access to our public forums but will need to submit and application to through the site to become a brigadier. Thank you for your understanding!

BASIC BRIGADE GUIDELINES

• We give out cookies, we do not sell cookies! We do happily pass donations along to Child's Play, so feel free to give us donations if you want.
  • Keep it PG and family friendly. We love to give cookies out to kids and as such we ask all brigadiers to remain family friendly with their cookies (sorry no dickerdoodles) and distributing activities!
  • Have fun and enjoy PAX!

PAX Prime to do list: Tickets: [X] Hotel: [X] Flight: [X] HQ: [X] Nachos: [] Cookies: []
PAX South to do list: Tickets: [X] Hotel: [X] Flight: [X] HQ: [X] BBQ: [] Cookies: []

brigadebanner2013.png
robertrence on

• Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    And during or pre-pax, feel free to light up the Cookie Signal!

Help us cookie brigade, only you can help me meet my caloric intake while reaching the next level in handheld!

But in all seriousness, good luck guys, we gave you a nice big number to topple.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    WuShock, Cookie Brigadier in good standing, volunteering to bake once again.

And possibly distribute....

...if I don't get upstaged by Jas again. :P

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    If there's anything I learned from East, it's that every distributor helps. Thanks for volunteering!

PAX Prime to do list: Tickets: [X] Hotel: [X] Flight: [X] HQ: [X] Nachos: [] Cookies: []
    PAX South to do list: Tickets: [X] Hotel: [X] Flight: [X] HQ: [X] BBQ: [] Cookies: []

brigadebanner2013.png
  • Options
    If there's anything I learned from East, it's that every distributor helps. Thanks for volunteering!

And how, we managed to do so well at East because we had a crazy number of very enthusiastic distributors.

• Options
    jjjewelsjjjewels TorontoRegistered User regular
    I ate some damn delicious cookies at East 2012. Thank you Cookie Brigade for fueling my days!

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    How big a batch of cookies do bakers usually donate? I'm tempted to whip up some of my mocha chip cookies for the cause, but I'm trying to get a handle on how much work it would be.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    How big a batch of cookies do bakers usually donate? I'm tempted to whip up some of my mocha chip cookies for the cause, but I'm trying to get a handle on how much work it would be.

Moar. The answer is always moar. They always seem to run out Saturday night or Sunday morning. Bake what you can. They'll take it.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    I'm definitely going to be baking again for Prime! I baked

I baked for the first time for East this year, and made around 100 cookies total. It was the most cookies I'd ever baked in such a short amount of time! After the first few batches though, I think I got the hang of it and if I didn't run out of time and sugar, I might've baked more. :)

I'm looking up and trying out some different recipes for Prime already. I wanna do something with white chocolate, but I can't decide yet whether I want to do white chocolate chip lemon cookies or peanut butter cookies dipped in white chocolate. Also, I have some cute Totoro cookie cutters on the way that I'm excited to try out. ^^

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options

We see cookie donations anywhere from a couple dozen to a couple thousand. I'd love to see you bring your mocha chip cookies at Prime!

brigadebanner2013.png
  • Options
    ViltrisViltris Registered User regular
    I'm interested. I recently developed a super awesome honey cookie recipe, and over the summer I'll be working on a strawberry cookie recipe (although I don't know if fresh strawberries will still be available in September).

\/
  • Options
    Viltris wrote: »
    I'm interested. I recently developed a super awesome honey cookie recipe, and over the summer I'll be working on a strawberry cookie recipe (although I don't know if fresh strawberries will still be available in September).

Holy crap I am interested in those cookies. Don't forget to sign up at the website!

brigadebanner2013.png
  • Options
    kintyrekintyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I want to volunteer. I can bake and distribute. I've been watching the new site and I liked you on facebook, but it is not at all clear how to register on the new site. Thanks.
    All of a sudden there's a button now, or more likely I just found it ;). Registering on the new forum.

kintyre on
  • Options
    If you guys are interested in some of the numbers break down from East 2013 check out our nifty Infografic:

http://infogr.am/Cookie-Brigade---PAX-East-2013-Infosplosion

I'll see if I can crunch some numbers tonight and get the average number of cookies donated per baker. But consider this:

11,337 cookies
    43 bakers

That's like 264ish cookies per baker. With that said we did have people who donated thousands, one person alone did a dozen dozen dozen.

Oh yeah! We have a facebook page now: http://www.facebook.com/cookiebrigadiers

No promise on how active it will be, I'm not sure how many brigadiers we have using facebook.

• Options
    That's an average of 264 cookies per baker. Minus the 1,728 (or dozen dozen dozen which may be more appropriately termed one dozen gross) and the baker who baked them it drops to an average of 228. And you run out of cookies right? I'm curious if we do an hour by hour average how many more cookies would conceivably be consumed. Love the Infografic.

• Options
    Made it! In for 4 days!

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    kintyre wrote: »
    That's an average of 264 cookies per baker. Minus the 1,728 (or dozen dozen dozen which may be more appropriately termed one dozen gross) and the baker who baked them it drops to an average of 228. And you run out of cookies right? I'm curious if we do an hour by hour average how many more cookies would conceivably be consumed. Love the Infografic.

At PAX East this year, I think we had just enough for the weekend. Though, I want to push and see if we can get twenty thousand cookies made for Prime. :D

brigadebanner2013.png
  • Options
    We had just enough for the weekend with the number of distributors we had. With more distributors you need more cookies to stretch through the whole weekend. PAX Prime is also 4 days this year whereas East is only three.

• Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    Not sure I will be attending again but my cookies will. I'm starting to think it is just better to donate my ticket prices directly to child's play but I do love making cookies for you all.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hml151 wrote: »
    Not sure I will be attending again but my cookies will. I'm starting to think it is just better to donate my ticket prices directly to child's play but I do love making cookies for you all.

Yeah Prime has become incredibly popular and doesn't have the expansion space East does unfortunately. I actually don't think they've capped out the BCEC yet.

We'll have information up on the brigade forums on shipping for PAX Prime for people who aren't attending. So definitely check it out and still join the brigade group for Prime if you plan to bake (You have to be an approved brigadier first so if you are logged in and can't access that page then apply to be a brigadier first (you just need an active registration on the forums for access to this form).

• Options
    I got my tickets, I will try to help distribute this year. My health is much better now. I will definitely be making Metroid and Pacman sugar cookies, some jammy dodgers, fruity-rainbow rice krispy treats!

School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I have to know, what is a jammy dodger?

brigadebanner2013.png
  • Options
    Sweet biscuit cookie with jam (my friend makes the jam from scratch)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sorry two cookies, jam in the middle.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sweet biscuit cookie with jam (my friend makes the jam from scratch)

And I'm salivating now.

brigadebanner2013.png
  • Options
    I have to know, what is a jammy dodger?

It's a delicious shortbread cookie with jam. At least that's what I know them as:

250px-Jamiedodger.jpg

• Options
    I've made them last couple years for pax prime cookie brigade

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

Awww I'm jelly I don't get to go to Prime. :(

On that note I will be making some candy to send along to Prime. I'll be investigating making the chocolate and peanut butter dipped bacon again, not sure how it'll stand up through the mail. I'll have to test with @LexiconGrrl, for science of course.

• Options
    ransim wrote: »

Awww I'm jelly I don't get to go to Prime. :(

On that note I will be making some candy to send along to Prime. I'll be investigating making the chocolate and peanut butter dipped bacon again, not sure how it'll stand up through the mail. I'll have to test with @LexiconGrrl, for science of course.

I meant to send for East, but life has be so distressing with family health issues. They did make it to PAX East 2012. I will try again next year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

I meant to send for East, but life has be so distressing with family health issues. They did make it to PAX East 2012. I will try again next year.

Oooo that means I missed them!

Maybe I'll just bribe @robertrence with a donate to Child's Play to ship me one >_<

• Options
    I have tickets. We usually stay home for Sunday, but that means I can bake Sunday afternoon to refill for Monday. I'm operating on the assumption that I'll get accepted of course. I've never done this but I'd like to make rice krispy treats with various toppings, (chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch,) chocolate chip cookies and maybe no-bake cookies. I'd appreciate any advice at all since I've never done this. I'm most worried about not ruining things while carrying them around all day.

• Options
    I have tickets. We usually stay home for Sunday, but that means I can bake Sunday afternoon to refill for Monday. I'm operating on the assumption that I'll get accepted of course. I've never done this but I'd like to make rice krispy treats with various toppings, (chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch,) chocolate chip cookies and maybe no-bake cookies. I'd appreciate any advice at all since I've never done this. I'm most worried about not ruining things while carrying them around all day.

Glad to hear you can make it! We'll have a drop-off location available for you Thursday night that we'll let you know about so you don't have to worry about carrying around a ton of stuff all weekend.

brigadebanner2013.png
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I got tickets!

I doubt I'll be able to beat my East total, but I'm up to try... especially now that I have four whole days. INSANITY.

Also, to any prospective bakers out there: this year, at PAX East, we ran out of chocolate chip cookies on Saturday Night. Most of the Rice Krispy treats were gone by then two. Those staples are the backbone of our institutions. If you provide the humble chocolate chip or the sustaining Krispy Treat, you are a hero.

I mean, everybody is a hero. But seriously, we always need more chocolate chip and rice krispy. Think we have more than enough? We don't.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    I got tickets!

I expect I'll be able to beat my East total, especially now that I have four whole days. INSANITY.

Fixed that for ya. :) Can't wait to see you again!

brigadebanner2013.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yay, us boring bakers are necessary. Thanks for that CGG. Of course the chocolate chip cookie I had at prime this year was hands down the best one I've ever eaten. I'm not surprised they disappeared.

kintyre on
  • Options
    MyxsisMyxsis Registered User new member
    This idea sounds amazing.
    I just recently stumbled upon a cookie treat involving cream cheese, strawberry ice cream topping, cool whip, and sugar cookies that have been highly regarded among my friends at work that have tried them. I may have to play with the recipe again just for this. Signing up!

• Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    I'll be shipping cookies up this year.

We decided to take the kids on a vacation somewhere tropical instead!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    Yay, us boring bakers are necessary. Thanks for that CGG. Of course the chocolate chip cookie I had at prime this year was hands down the best one I've ever eaten. I'm not surprised they disappeared.

My mom made some of those cookies. She shipped them up before PAX and when I got there and found the box I had a glee moment and dived happily into a mommy chocolate chip cookie.

There is nothing in this world better then a cookie made with motherly love.

The chocolate chip cookies stuffed with oreos come close though.

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I'll be shipping cookies up this year.

We decided to take the kids on a vacation somewhere tropical instead!

I don't know if you've booked your alternate vacation (I assume you have) but man... if you have the spare money, and you ever want a tropical PAX, the closest thing I've ever found is JoCoCruiseCrazy. It's a boat, where you spend time play board games until it's time to see Jonathan Coulton or Paul and Storm and then you go play more board games and then you watch Dr. Horrible while in a pool and it's cold so you switch between the pool and the hot tub and then Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension comes on and you can't hear the dialogue but does that really matter because why is there a watermelon there?

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Hey Yous Guyz - In case anyone reading this didn't know it already (or cares ) - I'm not going to be deeply involved in the Brigade at Prime this year. We'll be baking again of course, but I probably won't personally be around Brigade HQ much over the weekend. If I miss you, I'll definitely miss you! Many thanks to our new and improved leadership for stepping up and stepping in. $18K to beat East!!

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I got tickets!

I doubt I'll be able to beat my East total, but I'm up to try... especially now that I have four whole days. INSANITY.

Also, to any prospective bakers out there: this year, at PAX East, we ran out of chocolate chip cookies on Saturday Night. Most of the Rice Krispy treats were gone by then two. Those staples are the backbone of our institutions. If you provide the humble chocolate chip or the sustaining Krispy Treat, you are a hero.

I mean, everybody is a hero. But seriously, we always need more chocolate chip and rice krispy. Think we have more than enough? We don't.

Totally agree here. Cool cookies are cool, but think about it this way: If you can only make 1 fancy cookie in the amount of time/materials it takes to make 10 plain cookies, then the brigade only has 1 cookie to distribute. But if you make 10 cookies... well, you can do the math. In our house, we usually do 1000 Chocolate Chip Cookies to start, and then do fancier ones after the basics are done.

If we're going to beat East's record, we're going to need cookies in sheer quantity. Simpler + More = Better.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.