As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey did you ever read Herbert West: Reanimator

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SojakFA wrote: »
    Now I gotta dig out my anthology and read them all over again.

Plus maybe play Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

I never quite beat that game. It kinda goes to shit once you get a gun anyways. Although the Dagon fight was fucking incredible.

Straightzi on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Zombot wrote: »
    The D20 Call of Cthulhu book had a picture of the Colour from Outer Space.
    I don't think they really grasped that the Colour was not a color from our spectrum.

d20 cthulhu missed the point of a lot of things

now that i've played chaosium i will never go back

Orikaeshigitae on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hell, chaosium cthulhu is just a damn good system, on top of getting the setting right. It is almost definitely my favorite, followed possibly by 4th Ed Shadowrun, although I have not played that nearly enough to pass all too much judgment. Also Iron/Jadeclaw were both very good.

Straightzi on
  • ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This makes me want to play some CoC.

Anyone have any dice?

Zombot on
    edited August 2007
    Ori had an online game going for a bit and was promising more afterwards, but I don't know if we're going to keep with that.

Straightzi on
    edited August 2007
    Quetzi wrote: »
    Hell, chaosium cthulhu is just a damn good system, on top of getting the setting right. It is almost definitely my favorite, followed possibly by 4th Ed Shadowrun, although I have not played that nearly enough to pass all too much judgment. Also Iron/Jadeclaw were both very good.

the only thing with it is that the campaign i'm running is all fuckin' research and no climax

gay gay gay gay

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited August 2007
    I usually write my own campaigns, so I can't really relate there man.

Straightzi on
    edited August 2007
    Ori had an online game going for a bit and was promising more afterwards, but I don't know if we're going to keep with that.

it is really not a good campaign, i was reading it and i don't really want to run it anymore

the only cool thing is when you visit carcosa and then it's rushed through anyway

gay as heck

i'm looking through tales of the orient or maybe at the mountains of madness

Orikaeshigitae on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    tl;dr

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wanted to get the sourcebook for the Dreamland rules if there is such a thing.
    All I know is that I downloaded a character sheet that had Dreamlands on the top.
    Could never find it though.

Zombot on
    edited August 2007
    it's like

the guy who wrote tatters of the king had no idea how a narrative structure actually works

maybe i'll run some delta green

Orikaeshigitae on
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    So for my final project in graduate school I wrote an adaptation of HW:R and did a staged reading of it. I always wanted to try and see it get produced but as of yet haven't.

futility on
    edited August 2007

it is really not a good campaign, i was reading it and i don't really want to run it anymore

the only cool thing is when you visit carcosa and then it's rushed through anyway

gay as heck

i'm looking through tales of the orient or maybe at the mountains of madness

Alright, I'm cool with whatever man, so long as I get a spot in the next thing you run.

Straightzi on
    edited August 2007
    futility wrote: »
    So for my final project in graduate school I wrote an adaptation of HW:R and did a staged reading of it. I always wanted to try and see it get produced but as of yet haven't.

Any way that I can look this shit over? It sounds interesting.

Straightzi on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    bonK did you know that this is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories? Is that why you made this thread?

no, i did this as a capstone to the year and a half long running reanimator joke

i almost did the doom that came to sarnath, but it is weird and sad and cosmic and a pretty big departure from the lovecraft that the average joe is familiar with

so i went with something a bit more traditional so as to not disappoint the casual fan

Knob on
  • TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Knob wrote: »

if this is that fucking reanimator song, i'm gonna make something bad happen to you

THAT BASTARD

ps: dreams in the witch-house is one of my favorites and the masters of horror treatment really didn't do it justice.

i have the perfect concept for a Rats In The Walls movie but it will have to wait until i have proven that giving me money to make movies is a good idea, because i will need to do it up proper.

mostly because the sets have to be fucking awesome.

Tostitos on
    The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
  • space_satanspace_satan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I recently bought dreams in the witch house done in the masters of horror. It was...decent, i think. But Re-animator scared the piss out of me the first time i read it. awesomeness knob.

space_satan on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Are you fucking kidding me? The Dreams in the Witch House Masters of Horror was terrible. Like all Lovecraft adaptations it was bound to fail. I had my hopes high on that one though, dunno why.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lovecraft should be banned for racism.

Butler on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am not serious.

Butler on
    edited August 2007
    well, it is certainly a fact that he was terrified of black people

i chalk it more up to the times, though

plus his stories aren't completely devoid of sympathetic characters of other races, so i dunno

he was a weird kitty

Knob on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Xenophobia was normal for the people of the early 20th century, so how can we blame him?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • RegrettableRegrettable Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The way his wiki article describes his death is pretty fantastic.
    wikipedia wrote:
    In 1936 he was diagnosed with cancer of the intestine and he also suffered from malnutrition. He lived in constant pain until his death on March 15, 1937

Also, The Whisperer in Darkness, so wonderful.

Regrettable on
    cthulhusigcopy-1.png
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    well, it is certainly a fact that he was terrified of black people

i chalk it more up to the times, though

plus his stories aren't completely devoid of sympathetic characters of other races, so i dunno

he was a weird kitty

I did research on him in University.

Apparently he was very xenophobic until he started travelling abroad and started meeting lots of black people and even befriending them. After that there were more sympathetic characters.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited August 2007
    bonK did you know that this is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories? Is that why you made this thread?

no, i did this as a capstone to the year and a half long running reanimator joke

i almost did the doom that came to sarnath, but it is weird and sad and cosmic and a pretty big departure from the lovecraft that the average joe is familiar with

so i went with something a bit more traditional so as to not disappoint the casual fan

Wait does this mean the Reanimator joke is done now?

Straightzi on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I consider Herbert West: Reanimator to be in poor taste.

I did not particularly enjoy reading it.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Reading the same descriptions of West and his experiments 5 times got a little old. Downside to serialized stories, I suppose.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited August 2007
    I read that Lovecraft hated writing those little resumes and he never did it again.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    He was also terrified of interbreeding.

Thus, you know, the Innsmouth Look.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited August 2007
    He was also terrified of interbreeding.

Thus, you know, the Innsmouth Look.

Shadow Over Innsmouth?

The Innsmouth Look is a Darkest of the Hillside Thickets song

Knob on
    edited August 2007
    He also hated Plato for his aspiration to apply philosophy (ethical and otherwise) to practical matters.

I can only imagine his seething hatred for Aristotle.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited August 2007
    In this thread, members of Social Entropy ++ list various half facts about Lovecraft for no apparent reason.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm running a Call of Cthulhu game.

I've really got no idea how any of the PCs are going to survive it.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
    edited August 2007
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    In this thread, members of Social Entropy ++ list various half facts about Lovecraft for no apparent reason.

It is a fun and interesting time!

Knob on
    edited August 2007
    OH HOLY FUCK, I FORGOT

TOMORROW IS LOVECRAFT'S BIRTHDAY

i try and put together an hpl birthday party every year

shit, there is little time to prepare

Knob on
  • ToastlyToastly Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    holy shit I literally read this for the first time, exactly a week ago.

had anyone seen the Reanimator movie?
    or has everyone just seen the song and nothing else?
    I'd be dying to know if its terrible trash or worth a laugh.

Toastly on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

They don't.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ferrus wrote: »

They don't.

I'm running The Haunting.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

It is a fun and interesting time!

He once held an opponent's wife's hand in a jar of acid

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited August 2007
    at a party

Knob on