As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, April 19, 2013 - Emulator, Part Five

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    sounds like the warrior jumper is Lost Lands' equivalent to Zerg

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    Damn biased devs, always playing favorites with classes.

• Options
    wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    Love that he figured the concept that Warriors must always have gap closeners.

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I love tychos post, used to do that shit all the time as a kid :oops:

glad he has someone to actually share it with 8->

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Man, that is one earthbound archer.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    The more I see of Warrior-Jumper the more I want to do a GIF of him jumping (and a skeleton waving its arms) synced to Kris Kross.
    The only thing stopping me now is that it would take a helluva lot of time (given my lack of gif skills).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    Man who would want to even play archer when the daggerperson has infinite daggers

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    So I'm guessing Daggerman has 10 points in "daggers" and 10 in... "daggering"?

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Man who would want to even play archer when the daggerperson has infinite daggers

People who want to pretend that they're legolas obviously.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

And is therefore wanted by the Jamaican PD.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    i-PL4RS5G-M.jpg

"All players (except for Gabe) are good."

This series is just great.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    "All players (except Gabe) are good."

Mhmm. Mhmm. Lil' Gabe is a chip off the ol' block. Love it :D

Also, "Jungleafy" is the best ability, ever.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    thebeaglebeaglethebeaglebeagle Registered User new member
    The thing we realize, when we have kids, is that they are way more creative than we are.

I play make-believe with my three-year-old. I might have more ideas than he does, I have more narrative structures to draw upon, etc. But my son can fundamentally change the nature of the universe on a whim, or even change how language itself works, mid-stride, while charging around the room. I have experience, sure, but he has raw, unimpeded power. I look in his eyes and I see a dark, cavernous maw containing a universe. A billion universes.

Maybe all games should be designed by children.

• Options
    stxlmstxlm Registered User new member
    I've been an Archer since beta, but I'm considering cancelling my sub if we don't get at least ten points in jump, too! It's always and 4ever with this WJ love.

• Options
    cybrsagecybrsage Registered User new member
    You should start up a kickstarter to create this game for real!

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    The thing we realize, when we have kids, is that they are way more creative than we are.

I play make-believe with my three-year-old. I might have more ideas than he does, I have more narrative structures to draw upon, etc. But my son can fundamentally change the nature of the universe on a whim, or even change how language itself works, mid-stride, while charging around the room. I have experience, sure, but he has raw, unimpeded power. I look in his eyes and I see a dark, cavernous maw containing a universe. A billion universes.

A great many things should be handled by those with the brightest minds; it should also be noted that their avarice is generally limited to sugar, Saturday morning cartoons and the occasional slice of pizza.

It's hard to bribe someone with sex when boys/girls have cooties.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Warrior-Jumper has Hollywood blockbuster written all over it. I'll even provide the trailer music to set the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaZMST-vHfM

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Nope. They have infinity points.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I LOVE (freeking LOVE) the compass in the 'o' of Lost Lands. I couldn't have thought of something that cool when I was that young. In fact, I probably couldn't have thought of it at my current age of 33.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Why must a person be good at sport?

Edit: Hah. Nevermind. My dyslexic mind misread that. It says "be a good sport" not "be good at sport." I am dumb.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Eh, it's not like three-little-booklets D&D was a marvel of balance either.
    We create, we play, we learn.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Something I never really realized we lose growing up was that that the only real rule was to keep playing until you had to stop - it was either dinner time or recess was over or somebody's mom was giving us ice cream. Other rules were just a temporary framework to uphold the rule.

A few years ago I spent some time thinking on it, but I'm not sure when it is I lost that. When the other rules became a permanent framework designed to guide the game to its conclusion.

• Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    Warrior Jumpers have luxurious crotch pubes.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Something I never really realized we lose growing up was that that the only real rule was to keep playing until you had to stop - it was either dinner time or recess was over or somebody's mom was giving us ice cream. Other rules were just a temporary framework to uphold the rule.

A few years ago I spent some time thinking on it, but I'm not sure when it is I lost that. When the other rules became a permanent framework designed to guide the game to its conclusion.

same time we all did. When the stuff we HAD to do became too important to not do.

• Options
    dragonredragonre Registered User new member
    I feel like I'm being personally trolled by this multi-part comic. What is happening? Is this real life?
    So I read the forum rules, I'm going to try to follow them. I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm not flaming to be a tool.
    I realize this is a website for a comic. I know I shouldn't take it too seriously or get stressed out. I'm rapidly discovering that there is no way to post on a forum for a webcomic and express displeasure without sounding like a crazy person.
    I've read the strip since about 1999. Sometimes it's been funny, sometimes it's been hilarious, and sometimes it's just been eh. Art is subjective. Humor is subjective. It's not the job of the artist to just please consumers, it's to create. But PA is more than just a comic. It's a medium for social change, it provides commentary on our society/on the gaming industry. PA has some of the most traffic of any web comic. PA is sort of a de facto mouthpiece for gamers.
    So when PA is mediocre, it feels more than just "the web comic not making me laugh today". The current multi part series is about a father being proud in the coming of age of his son and exploration into game creation. Do I have a problem with that? No, of course not! These strips lack something. A punch line maybe?
    These last few years just feel sort of phoned in. Again, I'm sorry if I sound like an ass. I have no idea what it's like to create something like this. It seems shitty to tell someone you don't like their work. Oh, I must say I've enjoyed Gabe's improvement on his art, it's really just the dialog that feels lacking. So... good job Gabe?
    And now everyone tells me I'm an a-hole, I'm wrong, and if I don't like the comic don't read it.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    PAs is more than the comic dude, it's the community.

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    dragonre wrote: »
    What is happening? Is this real life?
    Art is subjective. Humor is subjective.
    These strips lack something. A punch line maybe?
    These last few years just feel sort of phoned in.

Sounds like PA is becoming not your thing. Which is completely fine. This storyline is more "true to life" than average, so if that's all that's bothering you, wait for it to be over (next week or the week after, probably) and things may go back to normal. But you mention that the last few years seem to have lost the magic for you, and if that's the case, it's not the end of the world if you don't like this webcomic any more. Good news is PA and PvP and some other early webcomics have made the internet a place that is absolutely lousy with webcomics these days. There are probably comics out there that are exactly what you're looking for. :)

And, as you say, humor and art are subjective, so don't be surprised if there are a bunch of people who haven't noticed a decline in quality since they've been enjoying the last two years as much or more than the strips before.

• Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular

As the only stats displayed are warrior, archery, and jumping... I'm going with daggerman having 15 points in warrior. Perhaps some special mechanics are in place for daggers?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you don't like the comic there will be a new one on Monday.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I can't be the only one who wants this series of strips to never end.

• Options
    KazitronKazitron Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I have nothing constructive to add about Tycho's pictures

just

D'awwwww

Kazitron on
  • Options
    AradonTemplarAradonTemplar Registered User regular
    I'm particularly enticed by how the movement-dice system allows different classes to achieve various levels of mobility simply by altering the movement-cost of attacks. Characters with lower-cost attacks make quicker attacks and can move more freely that characters with high-cost attacks.

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    But PA is more than just a comic. It's a medium for social change, it provides commentary on our society/on the gaming industry. PA has some of the most traffic of any web comic. PA is sort of a de facto mouthpiece for gamers.
    So when PA is mediocre, it feels more than just "the web comic not making me laugh today".
    I think maybe you're projecting a bit, or perhaps expecting too much? Obviously, Gabe and Tycho are smart guys, so their jokes tend to be deeper than simple surface humor. But in the end, they do this not to be catalysts for social and industry revolution, but because it's fun. And right now, the fun thing in their life is Gabe's son creating his own tabletop RPG. They would be remiss to not let their readers know what's up.

Though I completely disagree with your comments about the last few years being "phoned in". I've also followed PA for many years, and the most recent years, to me, have been the most relevant. Perhaps it's because they're older and more mature now, and actually have access to inside information- instead of being forced to react after the fact.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm being personally trolled by this multi-part comic. What is happening? Is this real life?
    So I read the forum rules, I'm going to try to follow them. I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm not flaming to be a tool.
    I realize this is a website for a comic. I know I shouldn't take it too seriously or get stressed out. I'm rapidly discovering that there is no way to post on a forum for a webcomic and express displeasure without sounding like a crazy person.
    I've read the strip since about 1999. Sometimes it's been funny, sometimes it's been hilarious, and sometimes it's just been eh. Art is subjective. Humor is subjective. It's not the job of the artist to just please consumers, it's to create. But PA is more than just a comic. It's a medium for social change, it provides commentary on our society/on the gaming industry. PA has some of the most traffic of any web comic. PA is sort of a de facto mouthpiece for gamers.
    So when PA is mediocre, it feels more than just "the web comic not making me laugh today". The current multi part series is about a father being proud in the coming of age of his son and exploration into game creation. Do I have a problem with that? No, of course not! These strips lack something. A punch line maybe?
    These last few years just feel sort of phoned in. Again, I'm sorry if I sound like an ass. I have no idea what it's like to create something like this. It seems shitty to tell someone you don't like their work. Oh, I must say I've enjoyed Gabe's improvement on his art, it's really just the dialog that feels lacking. So... good job Gabe?
    And now everyone tells me I'm an a-hole, I'm wrong, and if I don't like the comic don't read it.

Parents become unfunny. It's just the way the world works. One of my favorite musicians, Voltaire, went from awesomely dark and moody humor to ho-hum "spooky" kids music about the time he had his kid... he doesn't even play some of his best songs any more because "they're too much of a drag". But, at the same time, he's gained somewhat of an appreciation for the world that a child sees, and there's still a lot of good in his newer stuff. PA is a lot like that.

Yeah, this series is super self-indulgent parent stuff. But it's also stuff that a lot of us can relate to. Many of us have been that kid, and remember putting together wildly unworkable games. I know I was, and while I'm not belly-laughing at any of this, I'm getting a kick out of seeing the same kind of randomness I used to produce. And the idea that that generation is going to have a generation that knows how to nurture that sort of expression gives me hope that I'll have some kick ass games to play when I eventually retire and have nothing to do but game all day.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Vicktor wrote: »

As the only stats displayed are warrior, archery, and jumping... I'm going with daggerman having 15 points in warrior. Perhaps some special mechanics are in place for daggers?

It's possible that each class has different stats with minimal overlap, so stats that aren't present are assumed to be zero or can't be raised even by equipment to prevent an Archer/Daggerman hybrid from having infinite arrows.

• Options
    FulgoreFulgore Registered User regular
    This mini series has been very entertaining, I hope the lil guy makes a caster class haha.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I, as someone who doesn't have kids and isn't particularly sentimental, love this series for the same reason I love Axe Cop (which no one would consider to be "parental indulgence", especially because it's done by his brother). Because it's friggin hilarious.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't like children and I prefer dick jokes. There are definitely comics by PA that I don't like.

These aren't them, though. I love these comics. They remind me of my homebrews when I was 8 playing with the guys in my neighborhood, before we'd actually bought a D&D book and only had some random dice we'd found at goodwill.

This doesn't annoy me like some, "Look at what my kid did!" stuff does, because I still find 'em funny. There are still jokes that I see here, even if the joke is basically, "Ha, little kids are silly."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Man that warrior-jumper doesn't even need that bow. He's just jumping around with it because he can. Meanwhile the archer stares up at him wishing he could have that line of sight.

• Options
    TunaheadTunahead Registered User regular
    The extra 10 points the archer should have had obviously went into putting a protective box around his class name, so I think it evens out.