As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Enrichment] - Color Studies

13»

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Oh dude that is fantastic, I love that picture so hard. Never have I seen a more interesting composition and story told in a single still image.

• Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    Thanks! Yeah its a beautiful photograph, I love the photos of new york from this period, maybe its the camera's colours, i dunno but they are always beautiful to me.
    Here's something else I've done today, working off of a similar colour palette of that study and combining it with my uni assessment!

Screenshot2013-04-20at94406PM_zpsb47c4ca0.png

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Good to see so much stuff in this thread, really nice stuff.

After gurney, about 50 mins

gurneystudy.jpg

kevindee on
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I gave up on this and it is shameful, but gosh darn it I spent time on it and I think I learned one or two things. In retrospect the grainy sky-blown-out photo was a pretty poor choice of source, too.

j1xxqlZ.jpgOgIsgbm.jpg

I like this challenge, I'm doing lots of things I probably wouldn't have tried and gaining a deep respect for painters. I haven't found a brush that looks like what I want, though - m3nace's orange dress and Lewis' New York look hard-edged (no bristles and such), yet the colors and edges feel soft. I've tried a lot of brushes, but any time I use one with a hard edge it comes out looking very MSPainty, totally opaque with pixel-level hard edges. Are you using opacity, or is it just that you're using them that well?

Wow, just spent 20 minutes trying to start painting this and it was not happening. The colors seem so simple! Yarr.

I changed brushes a few times for that new york one and my opacity changes a bit, sometimes its harder, sometimes its really low so I can make a colour just slightly red, or slightly blue, then i take the dropper and just use that mixed colour.
    I dunno if its against the intent of this thread, but I used the dropper a lot for that picture, just taking colours from the photograph, I think you could probably stand to do the same,
    Red. Seems like the road needs to be a lot darker and the sky a lot brighter, like, except for the clouds its just WHITE but you've made it quite grey? It's also a very cool picture and I see a lot of blue in it yet your road seems like quite a warm grey.
    I think the brush that you're using does suit the road though, there is similarity in the texture to the blur of the asphalt.

• mullymully Registered User regular
    bioshockcolourstudy.png

buh

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    m3nace's orange dress and Lewis' New York look hard-edged (no bristles and such), yet the colors and edges feel soft.
    For the orange dress one I had opacity on. If you want to use a brush that is totally hard edged I'd advise using reference that doesn't have gradients like the one you chose. Take the Django still I took for example, loads of hard edges.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Ah word, thanks guys. Some of those are parts I gave up on and some were trying to use my eyeball (it seemed like the car had more blue in the blacks from the sky whereas the road was warmer colors from the headlights). So far I haven't used the dropper at all, but I think it would help me see what's going on. Thank you both for the feedback.

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    DRAW MORE MULLY

• mullymully Registered User regular
    i agree, everyone draw more mully!

I know this is a color thread, but do b&w value studies count?

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I know this is a color thread, but do b&w value studies count?
    Pretty sure they don't actually. I mean, err, "colour". There's always the doodle thread though.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I mean I won't care if you post them in here. You can do value studies in color, though! You should try it.

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    satellitescolorstudy.jpg

Learned a lot from this one, but I feel like I struggled more with making forms read than the colours themselves

kevindee on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Yess... Today I will finish with my finals and be able to draw once more.

All the doodles!

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Seeing as how I'm completely colour-dumb (not colour blind though) I thought I'd start with something simple and boring...
    thumb1.jpg

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I work painfully slowly, so I gave myself a time limit of an hour to see how much I could get done.

o8x5HSD.jpg

Reference

Flay on
    Thats awesome, Flay. The bare essentials!

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    You carried a lot of information across for such simple brushwork. I like it!

Here's another one from me, this time from a ref. I was bloody tempted to use the colour picker at times, but I prevailed... in a way? Should I take this further? Clean it up?

stockholm2.jpg

And since I really love the ref: it's by Oleksiy Mark.

Mayday on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I just found this and think it might be relevant, it is an app, Blendoku, that teaches color blending and theory through a game:

for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blendoku/id596200695?mt=8

for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelyfew.blendoku&hl=en

brokecracker on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I just got that game to give it a try, I'll let everyone know how it works.

edited April 2013
    e158b802-7ccd-4494-b76b-34f98cd9f816.jpg

So I colored this in my Wreck-It Ralph coloring book. I'm trying to work on dramatic lighting & glow effects with crayon!

melting_doll on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Tried another speedpaint, limited to an hour. Didn't turn out quite as well as the first one.

nQ6IDpV.jpg

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    'bout an hour and 15 on this one.
    colorstudy3_zpsf67d2d69.jpg

ref
    ScreenShot2013-04-29at31901PM_zpsbe045583.png

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i honestly thought I'd get further along with this by now but I'll post it anyway cause the month's gonna end

(I had a sketch and I started to colour it, couldn't decide on a palette, decided to approach it in a different way and did it as a speedpaint with the added constraint that I could only add one tone/colour on each layer. I started with a two-tone yellow/blue foreground separation and built up from there).

o1czE3w.jpg

@Prospicience, you somehow skewed way into the purple rather than blue, but I don't know if hue accuracy was a goal for you. You may want to try an ever so slightly squishier bush for a lighting scheme with so many gradients in it. A good go at it though!

@tynic Lovely!

Good job on this challenge, Guys! Lots of participation that really worked at the fundamentals that the challenge meant to strike. I'm going to make the OP for the new thread tomorrow, but if people want to keep using this for color studies, it will remain unlocked!

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Thanks iruka. That will help a lot. I'm pretty color blind - purples and blues are my worst. I'm probably going to keep these going after it's over, color's really tough for me, but I'm hoping that if I do it enough I can compensate for it.

@Tynic really love that one.

Prospicience on
    Thanks Iruka. I was thinking how this would be good as a regular thread. It's pretty important and with some free time I hope to keep contributing.

• JproductionsJproductions Registered User regular
    I don't know if these fit any of the things, but here they are. They're loosely based on some photos I found on google:
    aavikko1_zps6144a705.jpgaavikko2_zps168274c8.jpg
    ref1 ref2
    I might do some more later

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I haven't done any art for about 4 months and I have 30 free minutes......so here I am, enriching myself.

colourstudy.jpg

Some temple for youuu. Was surprised by where the colours led me with this one. Started out very flat and bright.
    Temple1_zpsb1731a0e.jpg

• Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    Had a lot of fun with this. It's easy to just absorb some concepts while painting.

yNeEjW6h.jpg

@Red_Arremer Not bad! I suggest trying to be more opaque with your colors and sure with your shapes. Color studies can be a really strange exercise in not knowing how much rendering to do, but I recommend trying to be economical, and not scribble.

Thanks! What do you mean by more opaque with the colors though? Like blockier/more abstracted and use pen instead of brush?

edited June 2016
    (EDIT to include reference)

I tried to be chunkier, more opaque, and focus on shapes. The leaves drove me crazy, and I ended up picking a midtone so I could chunk them in without it looking super saturated.

DFB4J0nh.jpg
    6BMUWVZh.jpg

Red_Arremer on
    Oh whoops! I meant to respond to the above, but that's essentially what I meant. Keep playing around and you should try to attach reference with your studies, its hard to tell if you are being accurate.

I'll try and gather some reference for you.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Ref Pic:
    81lvcyyx0336.jpg
    rjcjrkd8m943.png

Attempted to kick off my year of colors with "color study", tried to eye balled and adjust the colors to the best of my ability.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Ref pic:
    5boua4b7sgm7.jpg
    injuq8kii20b.png
    I think the hardest part of this session is trying to figure out the magenta portion and the blending between pink and green, pretty sure I didn't nail them but I can't really tell at this point. Gonna take a break and let my brain and eyes reset itself for a bit