As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, April 19, 2013 - Emulator, Part Five

2»

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Man that warrior-jumper doesn't even need that bow. He's just jumping around with it because he can. Meanwhile the archer stares up at him wishing he could have that line of sight.

You just know he rolls need on all the archer loot because he might use it in PvP.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My favorite part of all this is how you all want to min/max a child's game.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

Tune in next week for Chutes & Ladders.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I don't like children and I prefer dick jokes. There are definitely comics by PA that I don't like.

These aren't them, though. I love these comics. They remind me of my homebrews when I was 8 playing with the guys in my neighborhood, before we'd actually bought a D&D book and only had some random dice we'd found at goodwill.

This doesn't annoy me like some, "Look at what my kid did!" stuff does, because I still find 'em funny. There are still jokes that I see here, even if the joke is basically, "Ha, little kids are silly."

Yeah there are very definitely jokes beyond "Look at my kid!"

This one makes fun of a character class and its abilities.

The one before the ridiculousness of their different abilities.

It is good stuff.

• Options
    pureipurei Registered User new member
    if the effective power per point scaled as x^2, then Warrior-Jumper and Archer are exactly equal in strength: 10^2 + 10^2 + 5^2 = 15^2.
    -
    the kid is a dimension ahead.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    dragonre wrote: »
    I feel like I'm being personally trolled by this multi-part comic. What is happening? Is this real life?
    So I read the forum rules, I'm going to try to follow them. I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm not flaming to be a tool.
    I realize this is a website for a comic. I know I shouldn't take it too seriously or get stressed out. I'm rapidly discovering that there is no way to post on a forum for a webcomic and express displeasure without sounding like a crazy person.
    I've read the strip since about 1999. Sometimes it's been funny, sometimes it's been hilarious, and sometimes it's just been eh. Art is subjective. Humor is subjective. It's not the job of the artist to just please consumers, it's to create. But PA is more than just a comic. It's a medium for social change, it provides commentary on our society/on the gaming industry. PA has some of the most traffic of any web comic. PA is sort of a de facto mouthpiece for gamers.
    So when PA is mediocre, it feels more than just "the web comic not making me laugh today". The current multi part series is about a father being proud in the coming of age of his son and exploration into game creation. Do I have a problem with that? No, of course not! These strips lack something. A punch line maybe?
    These last few years just feel sort of phoned in. Again, I'm sorry if I sound like an ass. I have no idea what it's like to create something like this. It seems shitty to tell someone you don't like their work. Oh, I must say I've enjoyed Gabe's improvement on his art, it's really just the dialog that feels lacking. So... good job Gabe?
    And now everyone tells me I'm an a-hole, I'm wrong, and if I don't like the comic don't read it.

OK, dude, look. To a certain extent I am sympathetic to your feelings. It is true, this series of comics has not been particularly funny. It is a little self - indulgent on Mike and Jerry's part (though it is their comic and it is their right to be self-indulgent). The stuff mike's kid has come up with is not as awesome as Mike thinks it is. And I confess I am getting a little tired of the series and I'm glad there is probably only one more installment coming Monday.

That said...

'A medium for social change'? Really? No. No, dude. This is a webcomic which rose to popularity on the basis of jokes about video games and genitalia. Much as the biblical David won his bride with the dowry of a hundred Philistine foreskins, so Penny Arcade sits on a throne erected atop a mountain of wangs. You seem to have an image in your head of this webcomic as something which I am pretty certain even its creators have never claimed or intended it to be. Either your standards for welcoming are too high or your social change medium standards are too low.

Either way, you really need to get a grip.
    On a wang.

• Options
    ThanatoThanato Registered User new member
    Not gonna lie, these have been my favorite comics in a very long while. Not to say I've not enjoyed the other recent ones, just that these stick out. You have a kick ass kid.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Henroid wrote: »

On MLG.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i can see how if you only read the strip and dont participate in the community or get into the meat of the news posts, this strip might not be as entertaining, because you don't have the same level of attachment to everybody involved in making Penny Arcade as someone who gets more involved.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

On MLG.
    #ESPORTS