As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jeckal's Typo-palooza

2»

• JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    OK im slowly working on this, and i need some crit!!
    nvchibicolour01.jpg

JeckalHyde on
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    allright, the body looks too proportionate, if you are going for a semi-chibi look, you might want to make it less detailed, and less proportionate, and even without the ornaments, her shoulders look clearly wider than her hips, I wouldnt expect that from a toon-elf.

And if its actually a guy-elf, he looks too girly, even for elven standards!

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    ok cool, will take that on board. my problem is that i do go overboard a bit so i will pull back on detail of armor, but i am not sure if i want to go less proportionate as has a nice balance.
    though i agree with shoulders being way to wide, as that was what i was wondering about.

edited July 2012
    ok so quick update from first post, and source
    nvchibicolour02.jpgnvchibisource.jpg

JeckalHyde on
    it may be a bit late to add this... but... I would change the pose a bit, even in the reference, she is supporting the weight with her left leg, getting that side of the hips higher, thus making the shoulders line tilt in the oposite direction, giving her a much more relaxed stance. Also in your version, the chest plate is not really following the body, the body looks like 3/4 profile, while the chest looks more frontal, trace a line through the middle of her body and measure the chest piece.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    edited July 2012
    I know i suck, but try to clarify a bit more on new pose
    nvchibicolour03.jpg

JeckalHyde on
  • MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    I'm not the best person to be giving advice seeing as I'm still learning myself but if it's of any help. I find that before I start detailing everything it helps to just block out the whole image and work on a couple of poses during that blocking phase. It also helps to think of the image as a 3d figure rather than just a flat drawing. Here's what I whipped up for you, rather fast but I hope it helps in some way.
    scaled.php?server=11&filename=warcrafttoonsemichibipo.jpg&res=landing

Have some time, check out my blog
    its not about suck or not, I think youre doing a good job, but check this out, the draw over you did, still has the hips and shoulders, and spine, in the same position. Both shoulder and hips are paralel to each other, giving it a slightly stiff pose, regardless of the leg bending or not.
    posechibi.jpg

Check the source now, it has a more relaxed pose, and it shows, she is clearly relaxed, distributes the weight diferent.

posesource.jpg

I would recomend you see some RL pictures of people, anywhere, like, google image for standing people, and imagine the hip line, and the shoulder line, that should help you get a more relaxed or belivable pose. I hope Im not getting too focused on this thing, maybe you wanted other type of advise, but still, its good stuff to have in mind.

This might be of some help :) Specially that tip 6.
    http://warrenlouw.deviantart.com/art/IFX-Strike-A-Pose-163076761

Cool thanks guys, i will work on this later when i get back from town this arvo.
    But yeah I was looking at poses and stuff through google but nothing looked that great,
    so those links and or things would be appreciated.
    But as for sucking, i mean it in the terms as i dont practice enough body drawing and bodies
    no matter what the style. Hence why im probably not seeing what im meant too.

A drawing teached I had, used to give us as homework this pretty exercise.

You grab a magazine and a marker, and everytime you see a picture in the magazine, you draw its spine line, a circle where the skull is, a line from shoulder to shoulder, and one for the hips, you can also de the legs, arms, you can get sophisticated making circles for the joints, or even trying to fit some important bones in the picture, like a geometrical drawing of the pelvic bones, the throax/ribs, moustaches optional.
    This exercise is good because it requires very little effort and resources, even in the laziest of moments, one can summon the strenght to pick up a magazine, and justify his existance by thinking "I am studying anatomy".

very good im sure mum wont might me doing that to the piles of magazines that are piling up about the house.
    I think my friend is going to like this when I done, but man this is like the most work on something that I done
    digitally lol. And its on Chibi lol

edited June 2012
    double up, boof!

JeckalHyde on
    Man, don't worry about it, even as an amateur I've come to realize that when studying anatomy even the tiniest exercises gives a shit ton of experience learning wise. Once you get this elf done and the pose and the anatomy all right you'll start seeing some subconscious improvement on your characters.

edited July 2012
    lol i kinda drew the outlines in skin colour and ran with it.
    I think this might look better, but still similar to orig.
    nvchibicolour03nsfw.jpg

JeckalHyde on
    edited July 2012
    I still was not happy with the previous image so i reworked it to something the looked more suitable,
    what do you guys think? I also thought to jolie her for some fun.
    nvchibiposensfw.jpg

JeckalHyde on
    edited July 2012
    Ok so i went and took some photos of the local lake (similar topic) to the suggested artist image.
    Now im trying to decide on one and/or combinig them, some how.

Artist Source
    jian-chong.jpg

My photos, kind like 1st or 3rd
    p1070554d.jpg
    p1070573j.jpg
    p1070565d.jpg
    p1070578.jpg

JeckalHyde on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Im super excited that people are really taking the challenge thread head on.

I like the photos. That boat reflector thing is super interesting, and I like the texture variation of the foliage on the last one. If you combine two, be careful to keep the lighting consistent.

Are you going to do this in traditional media?

yes traditional otherwise it will not work out as good, and the boat reflector thing is a copper-lilypad fountain.

edited April 2013
    Ok so im reviving my thread, I kinda drop off the planet and do nothing, now I'm back and forcing myself to be creative.
    Im really sad looking over all the stuff I havent finished in this post itself lol.

Anyway so Im not sure if I ever posted the final image of the wedding present I did, so here it is and a bad picture of it on their wall, they are moving
    at some stage so it will be out from behind that door haha.
    finalvl.jpg
    img20121229202838.jpg

And here is a random thing im working on, I really liked the pencil sketch i did of it so I vectored it.
    orbit01.jpg
    orbitcolour.jpg
    orbitcolour2.png

JeckalHyde on
    Also this is newish
    chey.jpg

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I love the typeface on that visually, but it is a bit hard to parse the "Cheyenne" for me.

Been listening good old Hot Chip. I took crap kraft dinner, and changed it a bit to suit.

kkdz.jpg
    kkd2.jpg

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Tangent of that second "E" in dinner draws my eyes back up to Kraft. You could probably fix that for focus with your shading/coloring though.

Thanks for that input Enc, will remember to edit that when I work on it a bit more.

I thought I would scan this as pencil version and play about with colour but then this happened.
    I'm still gonna do some hand done colouring.

gutsw.jpg