As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, April 22, 2013 - Emulator, Part Six

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    Yes. This is perfect.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    And then Tycho wasn't allowed near Little Gabe ever again.

• wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    What an awesome series.
    Was really looking forward a table-flip by Tycho.

• JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Just what I would expect from a man like Tycho. This series has been pure gold.

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Laugh out loud. Tycho, you wonderful man.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Tycho, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

Oh brilliant
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Who saw this coming?

I saw this coming.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Little Gabe begins to understand.

What is this I don't even.
  • TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    That's the problem with tabletop games.

The players.

uGn5f.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Little Gabe has just had his first and most important lesson.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    And people were complaining about this series not having a punchline. HA!

I got to spend this weekend reminiscing about old campaigns, something I haven't gotten to do in forever. Mostly it involved hearing the new guy talk about how every character he ever made in Shadowrun was killed (directly or indirectly) by the same player. Kinda made me sad.

But yeah. Players are definitely the problem. Rules state, right there, that you can't sit on the throne unless you are evil. And now we have our second example of someone doing that... Figures it'd be Tycho.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Series ends on its best installment.

• TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    One day, littlest Gabe will learn. All games end in treachery and blood, but it is incumbent upon the gamemaster to be the direct cause of it.

• kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Curiosity and/or stupidity would compel some more than a few of the players I know to sit on the Throne.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Taskman wrote: »
    That's the problem with tabletop games.

The players.

Obviously you have never tread the dark side of tabletop gaming, the part where the tabletop game developers are just as guilty as the players, if not more.

If you have ever laid your eyes on "rpg books"* like FATAL...

*unfortunately not interpreting the term loosely, the quotation marks is because what I'd really define it as is filth and excrement...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    First two rules my DM taught me when I started to DM.
    (1) All of your NPCs suck and are going to die. (Alternately, "The players hate all of your NPCs and are going to kill them.")
    (2) Players do not want to live in your world. They want to remake it in their image.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    The red eyes are a nice little touch.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Daggerman you Judas!

Infinity daggers weren't enough to sate your lust for power!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • goehlegoehle Registered User regular
    First two rules my DM taught me when I started to DM.
    (1) All of your NPCs suck and are going to die. (Alternately, "The players hate all of your NPCs and are going to kill them.")
    (2) Players do not want to live in your world. They want to remake it in their image.

Words to live by right there. I would add

(3) Never plan ahead because players never do what you expect/want.

• Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    Daggerman you Judas!

Infinity daggers weren't enough to sate your lust for power!

They are never enough to sate a lust for power! Just ask Rupert Murdoch. Although he has The Eternal Rings of Nefarious Media Outlets .......... kinda the same thing.

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • SulacoSulaco Registered User regular
    Lesson learned, young Gabe: never give an NPC something you don't want a PC to have.

Wolf3D.jpg
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    This is the strangest take on golf I've ever seen.

• Erix The RedErix The Red Registered User regular
    I guess I haven't yet figured out what this has to do with golf (re: the news post)

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess Wednesday's comic is golf-related and this news post got put up by mistake?

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I love little Gabe's expression.

I feel like Gabe copypasta'd it from another day where the comic WAS about golf. Perhaps
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/04/05

But the post isn't there. I wonder if Tycho obliterated it again. I swear I've seen this exact newspost of Gabe's before.

Oddly enough, the Emulator series DID start during a golf game.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    If I had infinity daggers I'd probably just set myself up as a dagger wholesaler.

• Mr. SmashyMr. Smashy Registered User regular
    Is the wording of "I am become their instrument" deliberate? If so, I'd like to understand why.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Mr. Smashy wrote: »
    Is the wording of "I am become their instrument" deliberate? If so, I'd like to understand why.

The chair itself is evil. It corrupts those who sit upon it. They are the puppet, not the master.

Also whoa Mr. Smashy is still around!

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Mr. Smashy wrote: »

The chair itself is evil. It corrupts those who sit upon it. They are the puppet, not the master.

Also whoa Mr. Smashy is still around!
    I think he means "am become" instead of "have become".

It's a very old english phrasing, you'll see it in the bible or in the Oppenheimer quote (quoting something else ) "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds"

• Mr. SmashyMr. Smashy Registered User regular
    It's a very old english phrasing, you'll see it in the bible or in the Oppenheimer quote (quoting something else ) "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds"

Good answer. Thanks!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Young Gabe should have had the chair collapse in to a 37 foot magically greased pit with sentient acid at the bottom.

• Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    As for the news post, I've never heard of a pregnant woman expecting a mother's day gift. I think Mike's wife just tricked him into getting her something.

Nah, it's a thing.

Having a near two-year old, I wish they had these deals in something other than a onesie. That drastically limits how many people you're marketing too. I assume their supplier must be terrible at producing clothing in children's sizes.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Regarding Gabe's Mother's Day post...does the Mother's Day comic still have that glaring typo in it? I guess one could argue that kids say a lot of cute, incorrect English, but this one seems like a stretch. It's a great idea, and I was thinking about it until I re-realized the mistake.

Comic in Question: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/05/07

Seems odd to me that they'd promote this product without fixing it first.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Poor little guy. There's always that one player who won't go with the flow.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Young Gabe should have had the chair collapse in to a 37 foot magically greased pit with sentient acid at the bottom.

This is always a good fallback: http://www.goblinscomic.com/the-chair-of-adventure-an-item-for-any-rpg/

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    This comic has made something clear to me.

Gabe Jr. is not a person (though through magic shadowed and terrible he is also a person); he is an idea. An instrument of dark gods, bent on making the greatest RPG in human history. Fostered with those who will fill his mind with stories of the Great Old Ones, carefully nurturing profane storytelling abilities, and building long term industry contacts, he shall one day forge the One Game, to rule over all systems and bind us all to play it.

He is the will of Azathoth made manifest, and we shall all one day grovel before the IPs he creates.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Gabe wrote:
    You might remember this comic from a few years back.
    Remember back, to the distant past of the year 2012.