As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[4e] WLD, Region A. Kobold ambush!

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    If we live that long. Muhahahaha *cough* sorry. Got something in my throat.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    On a completely arbitrary "Role-playing versus Mechanics" note, it highly amuses me that a Drow trained to survive the dungeon since birth and a fat, useless noble will have generally the same amount of success and usefulness in this adventure.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Some people excel because of their past. Others excel despite it.

I guess? But yeah, that is kind of funny.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    You'd be surprised what you can accomplish when you have no option but to.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    It's almost friday.
    Do you know where your tributes are?

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    ATTENTION: If you are interested in submitting a character, I need to know in the next twenty-seven hours. I am generally more interested in character fluff than crunch, so if you're waffling about class or power selection, there's time for that later.

• riven5riven5 Registered User regular
    I'm super interested in submitting a character, just gotta put something together.

edited April 2013
    I am watching the second most appropriate movie while reviewing characters.

Battle Royale.

jdarksun on
  • riven5riven5 Registered User regular
    Here's some background for my character. Let me know if you want more detail or elaboration. I haven't decided on a class for him yet, though I am leaning towards Paladin, Blackguard, Battle Cleric or Warpriest. Whatever would help the group the most, really.
    Abraxus was born, or hatched, or however Dragonborn are birthed into the world, in an unceremonious way, in an unceremonious place. Beneath a thatched roof and in a pile of hay and moist cloth he fell into the world, his father sneering and his mother screaming. The pregnancy had left his mother paralyzed from the waist down, though they thanked Io daily that she kept her life.

Abraxus was a thoughtful and keen child. In some nations they'd call him "sharp", but in the tiny village of Scalespeck that he called home they just rolled their eyes. There upon the riverbanks that fed through the Vast Plains to White Plume Mountain a scant few hundred Dragonborn made their way in the world. Abraxus's father was a guard of sorts in that tiny fishing village, and Abraxus too became one once he was of age.

Abraxus had a penchant for volunteering for things he ought not volunteer for. Most children would quirk a brow when an elder asks for some help hauling in a net full of daggerfish, but Abraxus would always heed the call. Most (including his father) thought him a fool, but all welcomed the help when their time came. Perhaps it was fate then that the young Dragonborn would volunteer to die so that others may live.

One could argue that all men who sign their lives to the sword are making such a pact. More than once Abraxus took a blow for a comrade from a marauding bandit or starving ghoul, and more than once his mother scolded him for it. While quietly taking pride in her childs heroism as all mothers do, of course.

Abraxus was especially gifted when it came to nursing the wounds of others. While he was good with a bandage and splint, his real strength came from those times when he could lay his hands on broken flesh only to watch it knit at his touch. This gift awed the villagers to no end, though as with all things, in time they grew to expect his powers rather than appreciate them.

One day the village chiefs son fell ill with a terrible fever. The lad burned as hot as the sun, and the chief wept to see his only heir on the brink of certain death. He didn't need to beseech Abraxus to heal his boy; the clawed hands of the young guardsman were already laid tenderly upon the childs brow.

Two days later the boy died, taken by the plague. Abraxus stood next to him every night as the child thrashed and screamed, until the last whimpered breath escaped him. The healing powers gifted by Io were of no value against a plague and a childs strength, and for the first time in his short life Abraxus felt the sharp sting of failure.

It was not merely the failure that crushed him. The townspeople and the chief especially stared daggers at him, as if he had chosen to let the boy die. That is the shame of expectations; when you meet them you are a hero, and when you don't you're a villain. There is no middle ground. Within the week Abraxus would awaken, flushed and restless, with dreams of a screaming boy dancing in his minds eye. Yet it was more than just dreams that kept him from slumber. It was the fever.

One of the hazards of being a healer is that more times than not they become the ones who need the healing. Abraxus was no exception. The amount of time he spent with the dying child and the sheer amount of physical contact given in the pursuit of a cure proved to be more than enough to transfer the disease to him. His body was stronger by far, but in time, the fever would take him too.

His father and the chief took Abraxus aside, their eyes filled with wanting venom, as if he were somehow the cause of all their grief. As if his hands killed the chiefs son, and his choice to be born crippled his fathers wife. The resentment they carried in them was more than evident as they calmly and rationally explained the situation. It was time for Tribute, the chief explained. The chiefs daughter was to be sent for Tribute, and she was no fighter. They didn't need to say anything else.

It only made sense, after all. Even if he was picked and died in the terrible places beneath Nerath, it was fine. He already carried the fever in him, so death was a certainty. Why not spend the little time he had left facing down oblivion like the heroes of old? One last chance for redemption. One last chance to be the hero he was expected to be. What else was to be done?

Abraxus became a Tribute.

jdarksun wrote: »
    I am watching the second most appropriate movie while reviewing characters.

Battle Royale.

Most appropriate?

Ill clean my character's background up tonight after I finish watching Elementary.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Amnon, Tiefling Wizard
    Amnon was born an only child in Port Onyx, among the smugglers, the pirates, the outcasts of the world. His parents were both accomplished sorcerers, which afforded him a relatively comfortable childhood. It was no surprise when he exhibited a strong affinity for magic himself and began his schooling early, showing great progress quickly.

While growing up he learned the history of the tieflings from his parents, about the failed deal and the persecution and exile. Horrified and resentful at what had happened, Amon began studying the histories more intensely determined to find the truth behind the calamity and the tiefling's part in it.

After several years, he managed to collect enough writings that, together with the tiefling's history, he had pieced together what had actually happened long ago and devised a plan to fix it.

He would collect the four artifacts himself and destroy Orcus, getting revenge for his people.

He prepared for the journey for the three years, constantly traveling into the wilds of the Unknown Isle to familiarize himself with life outside the city and surviving in the elements.

Taking passage on the next ship bound for <REGION NAME>, he stopped off at a small port a few leagues away and began searching. Though he didn't know exactly where the artifacts were located, he reasoned that he should be able to feel their power once he was close.

While sneaking through the wilds near <INSERT TOWN NAME HERE> Amnon was captured and questioned by the local guards. Normally, even being a tiefling, this would not have been a problem, perhaps a few days delay, if only he had not been a tiefling youth during the reaping. Seeing an opportunity, the city officials decreed that he should take the place of one of their city's tributes, and so he found himself bound towards the Infinite Dungeon... but perhaps this was a more direct path to his goal after all?

• Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    I might be watching the Hunger Games to get into character for this. >.>

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
    What's the distribution of tributes/areas anyway? My guy can be from anywhere, so I can balance things out

Stolen from Auralynx's post:

Keeper's Hold: Auralynx, OminousLozenge
    Bonamia: Sir Fabulous, am0n
    Brightflame: TheRoadVirus
    Mithralfast: Nealneal

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Plus 3 (4?) unattributed guys.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I'm going as Tribute for Brightflame

• Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    And I'm in for Mithralfast.

Slayer of Dreams on
    Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm drafting my back story still but you know what let's post this so far.
    I've been writing less one big bio, and more snippets of information about the character and the background he comes from.
    Any feedback or ideas from you guys is appreciated. I'll finish it up before I go into work tomorrow afternoon, since by the time I get back from that the submission window will be closed.

Thortar, Dragonborn Battlemind
    Of the Tr'ssi Rashaaki
    Tribute from the Trollhaunt Warrens
    When Thortar was growing up, his father told him that to be free, one must be strong, and one must be fast.

"But the Old Mother is weak and slow, father," Thortar said. The Old Mother was the matriarch of the tribe.

"She is now, son, but only because she was strong and fast enough to live that long. She has had a lifetime of freedom, and has surrendered it to the tribe. She has bound herself to the service of all of us, so that we may benefit from her wisdom." Thortar's father grinned. "And I would not call her weak or slow in her presence. She is free enough to make you regret saying such things."

---

To the Rashaaki, freedom is everything. Once you have passed the rites and become free, you could choose to do anything you wished. You could return to the tribe and chose your title there; or leave to find another tribe, as free men were always welcome, though to fewer titles; or perhaps even choose to venture Beyond and find a freedom there previously unknown. Choosing a title meant giving up some of your freedom, for the responsibility that the title bestows, but the giving was of your own choice and was yours to reclaim when you saw fit.

---

The tribe moved with the herds, and with the seasons. Other than those of the Rashaaki - other tribes related to them - Thortar saw few outside the hundred-some members of the Tr'ssi, as their tribe was called. Some would leave with other Rashaaki once a year to go trade with Those Beyond, but Thortar was never allowed to go until after he became a free man.

---

Among the Rashaaki, arcane magic was essentially unknown. Rarely, there would be an individual born called a Spark. Those Beyond would call them a Sorcerer. But they are few indeed. Likewise, in the dense wilds where the primal spirits are immeasurable in number and strength, there is little room for the gods to find purchase with an individual. The Rashaaki give thanks to Io for birthing them, but beyond this there is little recognition of the divine. The spirits of nature and the ancestors are those who keep the free safe.

___

As Thortar grew, he knew that there were those stronger and quicker than him. He knew there were those born with gifts beyond him, but he also knew that gifts could be squandered. He would go out and try to match the accomplishments of those who were his better, because he believed that if he tried enough times, he would become just as strong as those who could succeed the first time. When he did succeed, though he would come home later than the others, he still succeeded all the same, and a prize hard-won, he felt, was greater than something easily grasped. But he knew that when the time came to earn his freedom, he would no longer have the ability to try again and again. He would succeed, or he would die.

___

During the rite of the free, Thortar discovered his true strength. The troll he fought was strong, but it only hit Thortar once. Then, Thortar found he could simply... not be where the troll's strike was. Even when the troll tried to grab him, he found he could simply will himself to not be there. He had found some new power within him, and it allowed him to be free, even moreso than he had expected. Once he had returned and taken on the title of protector, he found that no enemy could keep him pinned down, and that he could take on multiple threats at once, when even his fellows might have shied away. Thortar consulted the Old Mother about this, and she confirmed what he had believed for some time now – his mind was so strong that it added its strength to his body, such that he was given the honor of trading with Those Beyond while still in his first year as protector.

___

While the Rashaaki traveled to the edge of their lands to trade, it was explained to Thortar by the others that during this time, one of the Rashaaki had to go with Those Beyond in order to represent their people in a great trial. That those who went helped keep not only the Rashaaki, but the entire world, free from great evils. As with all things, no one would be forced to take this burden, but several expressed their willingness to uphold it. Several tests were performed, and the most worthy were given the chance to argue why they should be allowed to go. Thortar pointed out that he had only recently earned his freedom, and that his assumption of the burden would reflect most positively on the Rashaaki, that they would give so much to ensure the freedom of others was protected. So it was that he was allowed to take this burden of becoming their “tribute”, as Those Beyond called it.

___

Thortar's convictions are strong, and he remains confidant in himself and his abilities. But he is not without fear, or doubts. He does not know what being this tribute will require, only that those who assume the title never return to the Rashaaki. He is unused to all these new races, with their strange habits and appearances. But he knows that if they have also taken the title of tribute, then they must have been free men, indeed.

Crunchy stat stuff:
    Thortar

The theme and background taken represents his having grown up in the Trollhaunt Warrens and learning to hunt and track at an early age. Plus all the powers in the theme involve ignoring difficult terrain or granting extra movement somehow, so it's all very flavor-appropriate for him, same with the Battlemind powers I've chosen.

Physical Description:
    Thortar is just over six feet tall, and weighs in at 240 pounds, which makes him large and imposing compared to many races, but of average build for the Rashaaki and most other Dragonborn. His scales are a pale green/yellow hue, with some darker green mottling around his shoulders and face. The scales have a slight iridescence to them. His eyes are a dark yellow color. He wears the traditional leather and hide clothing of the Rashaaki, with black armor made from the treated scales of drakes worn over it. He is rather proud of the metal shield he carries, which he was awarded when it was determined he would be the tribute. (The Rashaaki do not mine ore, so the few metal weapons and armor they have are traded for, and reserved for people of distinction.) He is skilled in the usage of many weapons, and favors large blades, such as broadswords or falchions.

DarkPrimus on
  • ButtonsButtons Dolt SweedeelandRegistered User regular
    Have fun guys/gals, haven't had time to put a character together and just had my copy of Injustice show up so the likelihood of me doing anything other than playing that is slim!

I'll be reading along with your adventures though as I think the campaign idea is great!

I am ridiculously fond of that movie. I think it helps that I knew absolutely nothing about it going in.

jdarksun wrote: »
    I am ridiculously fond of that movie. I think it helps that I knew absolutely nothing about it going in.

It was largely quite faithful to the book, as adaptations go. I enjoyed both very much.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Submission Post Updated: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/26567130/#Comment_26567130

I included the tribute locations yesterday.

So far we have:
    Keeper's Hold: Auralynx(Warden), OminousLozenge(Swordmage)
    Mithralfast: DarkPrimus(Battlemind), Slayer of Dreams(Hunter - Ranger), Nealneal(Executioner - Assassin), riven5(TBD)
    Bonamia: Sir Fabulous(Bard), am0n(Ardent)
    Brightflame: Grunt's Ghost(Sorcerer), TheRoadVirus(Avenger)

TBD Location: Phyphor(Wizard)

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    My body is ready
    monk12.jpg
    Just pretend that he's got a halberd

Erin The Red on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Okay, updated my post with the rest of the background story stuff for Thortar, in addition to crunchy stat bits.

Alright after this is done I think I'm going to run a game of World's Smallest Dungeon.

Encounter one, a small group of rats
    Done!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'll beat that orc and take his pie, see if I don't.

((http://www.instantdungeon.com/node/4))

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Quest for the shiny rock!
    You walk into the dungeon through a doorway made of beads.
    You see the shiny rock. What do you do?
    "I take the rock."
    Roll a d20.
    ~roll~
    You take the rock

Nonsense. None of those involve a pointless quest to kill rats which is an essential part of any RPG

None of you are thinking small enough.

This dungeon is contained in the nucleus of a hydrogen atom.

They say that getting inside will grant you immortality.

I was tempted to make Fus Ro'Dah, nefarious dual-wanding witchalok!

Oh, hey, you went one Phase too far. We'll do a joint character Post-Reaping phase once I decide which Tributes will be accepted this year.

Yes. You said you wanted 3 things from us, but only ennumerated 2. The great thing about overproducing is it's so easy to correct - just ignore #3, and problem solved :) I didn't want to get left behind for underachieving.

Also, I brought you a nice shiny apple fresh from my CSA.

Seriously I just ate one, and damn was it good. We're getting to the end of pink lady season 'round these parts. I was looking forward to trying crispins this time around, but apparently they got all bruised.

Ugh, honeycrisp season is SO FAR away.

We signed up for a year-round thing, which was a bit of an adventure. Being originally from states with no proper winter, my wife and I were at a loss with respect to these so-called "winter vegetables," but the experiences have been positive so far. We found some radish side dish recipes; a really good brussels sprouts, shallot, and bacon recipe; and done a little experimenting with turnips this past winter. Oh, and kale chips. Those are probably my favorite.