As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deadlands: The Weird [Phalla]. Night 9: Hell on Earth (mafia victory)!

AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the SpiralRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Critical Failures
DeadlandsLogoSmall.png

deadlands.jpg?w=500&h=318
Deadlands: The Weird [Phalla]
An Assuran production with a major assist from @MrBlarney

Raven drove his spear through the last of the Shamans who made the ultimate self-sacrifice to keep evil at bay and let loose a vicious warcry that echoed across the Hunting Grounds. His vengeance complete, Raven and his Last Sons cleared the way for untold horrors to be unleashed upon his hated enemies…the Reckoning had begun.

Along the frontlines of Gettysburg, the dead began to rise. What seemed certain to be a Union victory was quickly turned into a bloody three sided affair, as the dead attacked both the Union and the Confederate forces arrayed on the battlefield. Shaken from the turn of events, both the Union and Confederate forces retreated…

The year is 1877, but the history is not our own. The Civil War drags on, stalled by some horrific occurrences neither the United States nor The Confederacy want the public to know about. The Native Americans of the central plains have reclaimed their tribal lands, claiming spirits have granted them amazing powers.

The State of California was shattered by a massive earthquake back in '68, leaving a "Great Maze" of labyrinthine sea-canyons and exposing an amazing new superfuel known as ghost rock. It is home to many boom-towns, with fortunes to be made for those bold enough to make their way West. And many heed the call.

But there's something going on in the American West. Something sinister. Something Weird. The shadows are deeper, the nights longer - fear stalks the land like a hungry beast. Abominations from man's legends and nightmares lurk in the shadows, and strange cults flourish in isolated places on the high planes.

Some tell of mysterious and terrifying beings called the Reckoners. They say these otherworldly horrors are seeding the entire world with fear, cultivating humanity's terror. Someday, should they create enough, they could even walk the Earth - and destroy it utterly!

Arrayed against the darkness are the heroes of the Weird West. Grim gunslingers ride the trails, armed only with their six-guns and their wits. Cardslinging hucksters gamble with dark forces to cast arcane hexes. Scientists teetering on the edge of madness create infernal devices of piston-pumping steam and steel. Wise shamans call upon long-forgotten, nature spirits for powerful favors. Agents and Texas Rangers try to protect the public from the most dangerous of all things - the truth.

And death - well, death is not necessarily as final as it should be.

Welcome to the world of Deadlands: the Weird West! So, have you got what it takes partner? Are you ready to face the worst horrors the Reckoners have to throw at you? Are you ready to stare Death in the face and spit in his eye-socket? And maybe, just maybe, bring an end to the destructive Civil War raging across the Continent?

Well, saddle up, hombre. The Weird West awaits!

What is a Phalla?

Phalla is Penny Arcade's version of the popular party game, Mafia. Bandwagon has a great synopsis of the game in the thread bookmarked at the top of Critical Failures. But, you already knew that. The theme of this game is Deadlands: The Weird West. If you don't know anything about Deadlands, I’m sorry for your loss. Knowledge of the setting will be helpful, but you won't be at a disadvantage in this game if you don’t know anything about the setting. I promise. I reserve the right to adjust Canon as I see fit.

This version of Phalla is both a faction game and a battle game. There is a traditional village full of the uninformed majority (the Union and the Confederates) whose goal is to eliminate all threats to the village; however the village itself is divided. Be careful about who you place your trust into, as half of the villagers are trying to kill you.
The Rules

!Sign up in boldlimegreen. Reserves may also sign up by posting !Reserve. Clarifications may be asked in !bolddarkorange and will be collected in the second post. I have recently changed jobs and now work first shift, however I have less time at work to answer questions than I did in the pass. If I haven't answered your question during the day, it's not because I have ignored it, I’m just pretty busy during the day now. The game has a cap of 50 players and will begin once we have a full group.

Standard phalla rules apply. This includes, but is not limited to, no copying/pasting, taking screenshots, taking pictures of and e-mailing or anything else of role PM’s. Anonymous communication with other players is forbidden. Anyone you communicate with must know exactly who you are. Speaking in code is also forbidden. One death post that contains no in-game information is allowed. Communication of any kind with dead players is forbidden. I must have access to any proboards created. You are encouraged, but not required, to add me to any PM conversations you have with other players, so I have a feel for how the game is playing out and the clarity of any explanations I give.

As a reminder, trust and truth are valuable commodities in phalla. If you wish to bring a new person into a conversation you are already participating in, you MUST begin a new conversation and cannot simply add them to the old one.

This will be a battlegame with all players having 25 hit points. Each night players have a choice between 3 actions:

1.) Attack another player for 5 points of damage.

2.) Heal yourself for 5 points of damage. This can grant temporary HPs, but you will not finish the night with more than 25 hps.

3.) Guard another player, preventing up to 5 points of damage done that night to that player, however if that player is attacked, you end up taking that 5 points of damage.

All players must post once a day, including a vote post for a player to be lynched, designated in !boldred. Retraction posts can be made in !boldlimegreen , but are not required. The last !boldred vote post for a given user will be the one that is counted.

Do. Not. Edit. Vote. Posts. Period. For. Any. Reason. Fullstop. Dot.

Time-traveling posts have potential to cause some confusion. It is strongly recommended that you quote the post you are replying to. Posts that are somehow eaten by the servers will be considered to have not existed at all. You are responsible for ensuring your posts go through.

You will receive one (1) warning for inactivity before being removed and replaced. So long as replacements are available, players will be replaced, until the point of no return.

Voting for this phalla will close at 9:00pm EST. Only posts with a timestamp of before 9:00pm EST will be accepted. Special actions must be PM’ed to myself or listed on proboards by the same time. Orders put into an edited post after 9:00 pm EST on a proboard will not be accepted.
Once sign-ups are complete, the game will commence IN THIS THREAD.

Most important of all, remember this is a game and play nice with the other kids.

Unless your job is to stab them in the back.

Order of Operations:

vote > self healing > roleblock > busdriver > guard like effects> seers and seerlike powers > attacks > Other actions
Villager PMs

Union:
You are a member of the United States of America, perhaps you were a farmer, soldier, banker, factory worker, or any other walk of life. In any rate, you now know that something just isn’t right in the world. You’re still loyal to the Union and wish to see the Confederacy crushed like a bug, but the growing darkness you encountered must be stopped.
Victory Condition: You win when all threats to the Village have been defeated AND you outnumber the Confederate Forces.

Confederate:
You are a member of the Confederate States of America, perhaps you were a farmer, soldier, banker, factory worker, or any other walk of life. In any rate, you now know that something just isn’t right in the world. You’re still loyal to the Rebel cause and wish to see the Union crushed like a bug, but the growing darkness you encountered must be stopped.
Victory Condition: You win when all threats to the Village have been defeated AND you outnumber the Union Forces.

Clarifications:
What happens if two players guard each other and one gets attacked? Who takes the damage?

If two players guard each other, the person who was attacked would take no damage and the other player would take the damage.
What information, if any, is revealed to the target of our standard-to-everyone attack and guard actions?

Certain roles will get more information, but in general, you will only know your own HPs at the end of the night.

What Happens in the case of tie vote?

Both people tied are eliminated.

thralls, millers, conversions?

Clarification denied to all.

Narrations:

Night 1
Night 2
Night 3
Night 4
Night 5
Night 6
Night 7
Night 8

Assuran on

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

1. Auralynx, Sitting Bull
    2. Mikey CTS
    3. Infidel, President Ulysses S. Grant
    4. Phyphor
    5. JPants
    6. Cythraul, Mina Devlin
    7. Lockeout, Amnesiac
    8. Iron Weasel
    9. Mill
    10. Vertroue, General William Tecumseh Sherman
    11. ObiFett
    12. Kilnaga, Father Martin O'Meara
    13. Burnage
    14. INANTP
    15. Invictus
    16. Grunt's Ghost
    17. The Anonymous, R. Percy Sitgraves
    18. Langly
    19. ronrob, General Robert E. Lee
    20. Megafrost
    21. Premium
    22. BradicusMaximus
    23. blahmcblah
    24. Jdarksun, President Jefferson Davis
    25. Cesareb
    26. MrTLicious, Union Loyalist
    27. Greeper, Abraham Lincoln
    28. The Road Virus
    29. Zonugal
    30. Ketbra
    31. Buddha73
    32. Zombie Hero
    33. SeGaTai, General William King
    34. Kaplar
    35. TehSpectre
    36. Delmain, Ronan Lynch
    37. godmode, Crazy Pete
    38. spool32
    39. Peccavi, Sister Maria
    40. Kay, The Rattler
    41. JaysonFour
    42. Celebrim
    43. Wiet
    44. Flarne
    45. Gizzy, Greater Manitou
    46. Enlightenedbum, Nic Whatley

Reserve:
    1. Dumpshock

Assuran on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I always thought Deadlands was cool but I never liked the mechanics.
    Now I don't have to know them.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I've got my six shooter on my belt and ready for firin'

I've been waiting for this one since the VtM phalla!

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    !I'll try to play a phalla no promises

OrokosPA.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Faction game kill Infidel day 1

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up! Also, awesome narration/OP.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Fuck.

OrokosPA.png
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    !Limeup

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    edited April 2013
    This game is more toned down than the VTM game (which I'll revist sometime, perhaps in the fall, with some revisions and perhaps some help from a few coders for an actual statpage game).

Also, this song is the game's official theme song.

Assuran on
  • LockeoutLockeout Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Let's do this.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Yes please.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    Yes please.

Imma callin' you out, fool. Pistols at high noon!

*Spits*

*Squints*

*spits*

... alright.

Currently Playing:
    @OminousLozenge oughta come measure us for coffins.
    Reverend @TheRoadVirus should be available, too.

Currently Playing:
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Screw the gold rush, I'm mining up ghost rocks!

• vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    hell ya deadlands!!!

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
    edited April 2013
    Mill wrote: »
    Screw the gold rush, I'm mining up ghost rocks!

I hear this, with your avatar, in Bender's voice... and there is a little tear in the corner of my eye.

Mikey CTS on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Assuran phallas are the best phallas

to try and become a immortal [insert theme] king

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Did somebody say... weird?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    undead cowboy inantp

liEt3nH.png
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Well, given how this one is clearly inspired by some of my recent efforts, I feel like I have to sign up.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    United We Stand, Undead We Fall.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Sure

The Anonymous on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    !I am immortal cowboy prince Langly

• ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    Yep

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Unionbots wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of the Confederacons.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    @assuran

Any reason you cant use lowest common denominator?

Looks like everyone has 5HP and can hit, heal, or guard for 1.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    @assuran

You might only have 5 hp and only be able to hit, heal, and guard for 1, but I definitely have 25 and can act for 5.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    Bedlam wrote: »
    assuran

Clarification Denied.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    HAH! You thought you could keep me out by stealth editing the link in the signup thread so I wouldn't notice it but you were wrong!

premium on
    Huh, I just figured sign ups were slow because I put in up on a weekend. I hadn't considered me editing my post wouldn't trigger as a new post.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I play for keeps, cause I might not make it back

Someone else want to bump the main Phalla thread so I don't triple post there?

We're going much slower than I had anticipated.

Signups have been slow for a while now.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Phalla is dead.

liEt3nH.png
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Only in this timeline

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Finally! Been waiting for this one for a while. Love the setting.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    I have no idea what this is