As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 HDD not showing up on PC

DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's DaughterIn love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
My PS3 went all yellow light of death on me the other day.

I learned that if you send it in to be fixed the reformat the HDD so I figured I would back up my data before I sent it in.

Problem is that when I plug the HDD into my PC via a USB dock it just makes a beep every 10 seconds and never shows up as a connected device.

Googling has not quite helped my as much as I would have liked but you guys are p smart so I giving this a try!

Thanks.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It is not possible to retrieve the data from a PS3 hard drive if the PS3 it was formatted for is not working. Sorry.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So when a PS3 dies for any reason all your data is always lost?

That... is mind-blowing. So all my games are just gone? @_@

• Options
    You retain access to your PSN account and all the content licenses that you've acquired, and will be able to just download it again after logging in on a different PS3. Save games, though, are probably toast unless you've backed them up through PS+.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    You retain access to your PSN account and all the content licenses that you've acquired, and will be able to just download it again after logging in on a different PS3. Save games, though, are probably toast unless you've backed them up through PS+.

Yea but like game files that carry over from one game to another... just gone forever? That is some remarkably shitty design. I see people talking about moving files via FTP? Is that not actually an option?

• Options
    All the data on the hard drive is encrypted and keyed specifically to the PS3 that it was formatted on. Not possible to retrieve without that PS3 being alive.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Send the PS3 in for repair without the drive in it?

• Options

Sony recommends this, but it is highly likely that they will send you a different refurbished unit back, which means your data is gone.

• Options

Sony recommends this, but it is highly likely that they will send you a different refurbished unit back, which means your data is gone.

Actually Sony currently says that the HDD MUST be sent back with the system.

It's OK though I found out Play n Trade offers the same service with the same warranty for less money and they don't wipe your HDD.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Yea but like game files that carry over from one game to another... just gone forever? That is some remarkably shitty design. I see people talking about moving files via FTP? Is that not actually an option?

Your HD is tied to that SPECIFIC console. If it's downloads through the store, you can re-download it all no problem. Same with game patches. However, if you YLOD and you want your saves, you can't even take the HD out and put it into a similar console. You'd better have been doing one of the following options.

1) Be a PS+ member and saving files to your online storage. I've got 60+ games there and have maybe 100 MB of my 1 GB used up. There is tons of space there.
    2) Be doing regular saves to another device. You can copy (most) saves directly to a USB HD or a USB memory stick no problem.
    3) Be doing regular full backups to USB HDD. This copies EVERYTHING (game installs, patches, downloadable games, saves, etc).

I hated it too, I YLOD and paid a local place to fix it for $100, got it working, copied everything off of it, sold the "broken one" through Craigslist and bought a new one. Gives me piece of mind that it won't crap out again BUT I lost a bunch of $$ on the deal.

Now? I take regular backups. Rotating full backups every 6 months and copy over the new saves every 2 months. It's more work but if it dies tomorrow I don't lose years of my saves, just the most recent games I've been playing.