As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My first attempt at a comic...Its very rough around the edges.

sephnabzsephnabz Registered User new member
So I have never posted on a Forum before...ever! always been a bit Forum shy! Weird cos I am definitely not shy!
Anyway, I have just started drawing and cartooning again after a long stint away from my art... and I thought I would share
My first effort with you guys...
[img][/img]originalstrip1stcolour.jpg
Its very rough...I drew it by hand photographed it and then coloured it in photoshop...(I can't find my tablet :P)
anyway do forgive its shabbyness... I've never really drawn a strip before so any feedback would be ace...
cheers

Seph

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Welcome to the forum! We won't bite too much.

What are you looking for from the forum as a whole? This place typically is for artistic critique and as a place to grow your art abilities, which are you looking for? Do you have other art to post? More comics? Doodles? Drawings of an egg? The more we see of what you can do the better the amazing artists here (not me) can help you.

Main things I'm taking away from this one is that your color pallet is pretty dark and desaturated, which (along with your hash lines) has a sort of "scanned from newspaper" feel to it. That's not necessarily a good or bad thing, depending on if it is intentional. You may also want to save your image files in higher quality to prevent color distortions from becoming a jpeg.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Enc wrote: »
    "scanned from newspaper" feel to it.

part of that might be that it looks like he/she didn't do any cleanup on the scan, and then used a multiply layer for the lineart, so there's still some grey from the paper coming through. Or maybe coloured using multiply, same effect.

• Options
    Thanks for the posts guys...yeah I actually had to take a picture with my camera phone to "digitise" the art as it were...my scanner gave up on my a while back and I have never replaced it. I think I need to brush up on photoshop...I haven't used it for like 6 years and seem to have forgotten it all... :P
    I normally use my Bamboo and work straight in Ps but its awol at the moment...(recent house move). I've been looking at the threads and found some of the tutorial stuff to immerse myself in. I will post more of my work for you guys to look at...see if I can find stuff that ain't so rough...

• Options
    KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    So far so good! Try upping the contrast on your photo then erase some of the leftover smudges. It'll make your colors pop and look a lot less like a cell phone picture.

• Options
    thanx Kodi i shall try that next time although i hope to have my tablet back by then! :) is overlay a good method to use as well if i'm forced into this situation again!

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    One thing I noticed is that you don't have a lot of variation between line thickness. That can work against you in the long run and make your art appear kind of flat. Working with a pressure-sensitive tablet pen or even just felt-tipped markers can help with that.

But at the same time, there are lots of cartoonists that don't have a lot of variation in line thickness, so it's not that huge a deal.