As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DAOC] Endless Conquest is Live

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I loved having like 100+ people running towards a small group of anything and seeing them paralyze with fear..... or their computers freezing. Either way it felt good to run up on them like that.

Wouldn't that group of 100+ see about 5 rps from that whole small group?

I like kicking the crap out of mids on New Frontiers, but the down side is, they are then meeting my evening Lab group with an equal scale zerg of Mids.

You were fine if you went into first person mode and looked down. :P

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Wasn't turning cloaks off a thing also? Or maybe im mixing that with early wow raiding.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    /hood could put your hood on.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Maybe it was having emblemed cloaks in large zergs. I don't remember but there was some silly thing that people would be absolute geese about because it was rumored to effect their fps.

camo_sig2.png
    No idea! Doesn't sound familiar, but I Was that level 45 necro burning through some hibs in emain back in the day before new frontiers.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Maybe it was having emblemed cloaks in large zergs. I don't remember but there was some silly thing that people would be absolute geese about because it was rumored to effect their fps.

Yes, I totally remember this. Since guild cloaks were customizable, there was a way to turn it off.

What is this I don't even.
    I still wish this game would go Free and do a store where you could buy gear/money/exp bubbles. I have a hankering to play with a buddy but neither of us want to drop $45 over the next few months.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I loaded up DAoC and did some of the 14 day free trial. I did enjoy playing it again though I got torn asunder more than once but my reaver tried.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Better than the heretics amirite?

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Re-subbing tomorrow, going to be fun in darkness falls holiday. I'm going to be playing my hib characters if anyone wants to join me.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Oh cool i'll probably give that a whirl. Supposedly this game really benefits from a SSD which I just got and so far every old mmo i've tried has been night and day difference. I didn't really have performance issues outside of big zergs or keep takes last time I played, more trouble finding pick up groups.

camo_sig2.png
    Just templated my Eld, now I owe someone 40 plat. Going to be trying it out tonight to see if the money was worth it.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited November 2013
    Grab bag is back for all of those who miss reading it daily.

Also, I'm going to be resubbing in December and playing Albion if anyone wants to join me.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    Ursa wrote: »
    I've started playing again but on Uthgard Mid along with quite a few backers from the Camelot Unchained kickstarter with the inventively named guild "Camelot Unchained", it's a freeshard server running pre-ToA version. Not sure on the legalities to be honest.. So will restrain myself from posting details!

So much nostalgia. Last night I spent 3 hours dying in Nisse's Cavern to Tomtes. Desperately trying to land mez's on purple mobs as a level 8 pac healer. Following that I managed to latch onto a friendly hunter and duo world trash for an hour to hit level 9. The levelling grind is Delicious.

I've tried popping back on the official servers too which is still a lot of fun. It's just not the same being as levelling takes a few minutes of running quests in the BGs with free gear handed out. It's fun and all, but where's the crippling pain of xp'ing eh?

yeah I discovered Uthgard as well some months ago due to looking up old DAoC videos on youtube when a pang of nostalgia hit me. also really enjoyed getting back into the grind of leveling and finding groups.

the game is still great and I met some old mates along the way. now thinking about switching to Origins once that server gets out of beta.

edited December 2013
    Giant update to New Frontiers inc! Horses with armor move at 204% speed!

Tired of bots littering everywhere, portal keep camping is gone! New porting system and summoning circle returns!

Tighter more hectic rvr towers, capturable boating makes for more focused action.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Just started a new toon yesterday, already lvl 34. Can't believe how much I missed DAoC cleric healing.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    You guys are not helping me trying to stay away.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Hmn... So, they actually still support the game?

What am I saying, it probably has a bigger production team than Warhammer Online.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    I've tried/played many MMOs but surprisingly never this one. I signed up for a trial; are there any active PA groups around?

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    I've tried/played many MMOs but surprisingly never this one. I signed up for a trial; are there any active PA groups around?

I doubt there is a PA group but if you want, you and I can group up. What realm are you playing for? I may just join back in if nothing to just level up a toon with someone new.

Started leveling up Spell crafting, and man does it take a long time. I spent 5 hours yesterday leveling up from 600 to 700.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    all crafting is painful in daoc. this is what I have learned.

Friar for life, nothing like whacking things with a stick to heal the party.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    I'd be really excited to play another Arthurian RPG if it was multiplayer. They should take DAoC and run with it and bring it into the 20teens.

bowen wrote: »
    I'd be really excited to play another Arthurian RPG if it was multiplayer. They should take DAoC and run with it and bring it into the 20teens.

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

Unless you were talking about literally upgrading DaoC's engine, which if i remember right would actually entail just porting the content to a new one because gamebryololol.

camo_sig2.png
    Well, I'm talking about a new RPG game from the ground up. I just like the ambiance and the setting and the people of the original game. PvP was just sort of a secondary fun thing to do with my friends.

I remember the guy I used to play with. I grouped up with him on my scout while he was leveling (before I understood the concept of stealing XP and all that). He was great. I used him for free levels too often though. Wiglaf the paladin from lancelot, great guy.

What server are you guys still playing on?

I guess I should say "what realm" now eh?

Hib right now. I have 5 Molvik chars, 3 of them temped.

My Eld and Vamp are temped right now; my bard, not so much.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited February 2014
    News on DaoC. According to MMORPG.com, Mythic and a spin off company Broadsword will be modernizing DaoC and hopefully bringing more expansions to the game.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    That's kind of amazing.

Here's to hoping.

Roe wrote: »
    News on DaoC. According to MMORPG.com, Mythic and a spin off company Broadsword will be modernizing DaoC and hopefully bringing more expansions to the game.

... Whoa that sounds pretty cool.

I hope its an engine update at the least.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm really curious about this. I haven't seen any relaunches be particularly successful, but if any brand can do it it seems like DAOC might be the one.

Though I would've said the same about EQ.

It just seems like there's a tough line there: investing too much in an old game doesn't make sense, but not investing enough won't change things.

What is this I don't even.
    They need to bring their netcode into the 21st century at least, it was designed around dialup.

They also need to possibly update their engine.

They should revist their payment model.

They should revisit frontiers and the original DAoC much the same way cataclysm revamped vanilla WoW. Take some cues from WoW and other modern MMOs on what kind of gameplay you should be bringing to the table, and make it more DAoC like.

People want instancing, more people want PvE combat, raiding, non-fighting content like crafting.

There is so much you can do with this game to bring it back to life. F2P would probably be the biggest boon if you can pull it off right. Most of those changes are cosmetic and shouldn't involve tooooooo much code changes to bring the game back to life. I mean changing how questing looks means just adding/removing NPCs and all that.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    If they could bring the UI and the engine up to current standards I would be all over this again. DAOC was my first MMO and RvR is the still the high water mark for my enjoyment of PvP.

I have a reasonably high tolerance for going retro with my gaming. But not with MMOs for some reason, otherwise I would probably still play DAOC. It's just that newer games have so many quality of life improvements and I can't bring myself to regress.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    I think another good addition would be a gear revamp session. Instead of doing level cons, do item qualities with stats like wow does.

Gearing in the old game was confusing as shit, especially for new people.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    The UI needs to be updated for sure.

I hope they don't touch the combat, in all honesty. I love how DAOC did it.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    wouldn't mind the reactives for block, perry, evade to work like the ones in vanguard did, nothign worse than getting swarmed by 3 guys and trying to get off one of those attacks only to have it fail cause you got hit 3 more times after that.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    7 free days!

Trying to fight the urge.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Okay I wanna really jump in and use that but EA is really pissing.me.off.

For whatever reason, I think my login is my SWTOR login... Instead of my Origin/EA login. Why they aren't the same thing I couldn't say, but I do remember I had an authenticator on that account. Which means I get to go through EA's customer service to get it removed, when the SWTOR website starts working that is.

Y'know I'm feeling kinda sad that EA will still handle the login stuff for DAOC now.