As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Subtle But Horribly Annoying Screen Tearing Issue

ratzofftoyaratzofftoya San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
Hey all,

Having a weird issue with screen tearing on my GTX 670. I notice it when watching videos in XBMC, VLC, MPC-HC, and YouTube--so, basically all video content. Also, it gets really bad in Steam Big Picture mode when navigating menus. This is happening both on my monitor (DVI) and my LCD TV (HDMI). As far as I can tell, it's not happening in games--at least not too badly.

It only affects a few horizontal lines on the screen, only when things are moving pretty quickly, and it looks to be pretty much in the same place every time--about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the video. It's much more apparent when I'm watching in full screen. Running the tearing test in MPC-HC, you can tell it's pretty bad.

I of course have VSYNC enabled in the video players and in games, and have toggled the various other options suggested in forums. Help, please!

• Options
    ratzofftoyaratzofftoya San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    OK, so I checked in regular old WMP, and no videos seem to be tearing. This has gotta be a codec issue, right?

• Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like it but maybe its a heat issue. Try downloading a video card stress program and running that in combination with a temp monitoring program. This might kill the card though.

I'm not sure how it would be a codec if the stream big picture is messing up. Doesn't that run with Direct X? Perhaps its a driver issue?

I had a similar problem when my 9800 GTX+ was dying.

b0bd0d on